Laundry Question

Elle23

DIS Veteran
I recently booked out first ever cruise on RCCL (Serenade to Alaska for June 22).

We have never cruised before and I assumed that all the ships have laundry rooms where I can do laundry (we are trying to pack as light as possible).

Imagine my shock when I read that RCCL doesn’t have self- service laundry rooms!

Can anyone give me the low down on how laundry will work? And what is the turn around time for sending it away? Any other tips you can provide with packing and laundry?

We are a family of 6 (2 parents and 4 adult kids) and booked 2 connecting larger sized balcony rooms.

I recently booked out first ever cruise on RCCL (Serenade to Alaska for June 22).

We have never cruised before and I assumed that all the ships have laundry rooms where I can do laundry (we are trying to pack as light as possible).

Imagine my shock when I read that RCCL doesn’t have self- service laundry rooms!

Can anyone give me the low down on how laundry will work? And what is the turn around time for sending it away? Any other tips you can provide with packing and laundry?

We are a family of 6 (2 parents and 4 adult kids) and booked 2 connecting larger sized balcony rooms.

I don’t know much about it because it’s a service I usually don’t use.

Cruise lines can work differently.

Sometimes they give you a bag and you get a « prix fixe » for the bag (that you fill up with what you want them to clean up).

Sometimes, you pay by the piece, with a different fee for each piece.

I noticed that during a cruise, we tend to wear different clothes for short periods of time (ex: long pants in the dining room for about two hours a day). This is why I only travel with a carry-on now. I picked up a few packing tricks on youtube (rolling clothes, etc.) All our clothes won’t get dirty so we will wear some pieces a few times.

What I usually do is bring tiny travel packs of Tide —you can find them on Amazon or at your local drugstore—and once in a while, I wash 1 or 2 pieces in the sink and hand them it in the shower (there is a clothing line there).

You have a bag in your stateroom you can fill and send out and they bring it back cleaned. It is PRICY though. We usually just take enough clothes for the week. We use the service if we have a suite where it is included. Usually about 24-48 hours turnaround then.

Thank you both for the replies. They were helpful!

I think I’m delusional that we are going to pack a week’s worth of clothing for Alaska in carry-ons. 🤪

Thank you both for the replies. They were helpful!

I think I’m delusional that we are going to pack a week’s worth of clothing for Alaska in carry-ons. 🤪

The key words are « Capsule Wardrobe ». And there are videos online on how to pack how much clothes as possible in a tiny suitcase. Lol

My cousin is a frequent cruiser so she usually gets great discount coupons so guess that is how they appeal to regulars. We usually pack enough but once used the bag you can stuff for a fee. They were running a special deal that day discounted.

I found this on their site ...

We also run wash and fold specials during the voyage. This is an additional service offered beyond our regular laundry service. Guests can now send smaller clothing items to be washed and folded for the fixed amount of $34.99 per bag. Fit as much as you can into the bag provided for you and we'll take care of the rest. Please ask your stateroom attendant for more information. Availability may vary.

This price list might help ...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/laundry-service-price-list.pdf

Packing cubes are your best friend!

They wash everything together in hot water so don't put anything valuable or temperature sensitive in the bag.

I agree with previous posters and we've used the service when we were in a suite but I've gotten better with packing just enough in one 24-in suitcase for the week. Quite honestly there's not a lot of items that I wear that I feel comfortable throwing in hot water and getting back two sizes smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter