Last minute trip booking tips from Canada to Disneyland?

Becca43

Earning My Ears
Hi all! Wondering if anyone has any good tips for finding reasonably priced airfare and/or accommodations from YTO for a last minute solo trip to Disneyland for a few days? Originally, I was planning to book a trip to WDW for later this year, but being 2SLGBTQIA+, I’ve decided that it’s not a risk I’d be comfortable taking given the state of Florida at the moment (even though I’m sure WDW itself is very safe). Especially as a solo traveller.

Anyway, the one challenge about planning a trip to Disneyland vs WDW is finding affordable direct flights from the Toronto area seems to be a nightmare no matter when I’m looking to book, and I’m hoping someone might have some suggestions of where to look or the best email lists to be on for deals? Because this is for a solo trip, I am also open to things like “unofficial”/DIY layovers or flying into a relatively close airport (within an hour or two with no traffic, since I’m sure traffic will make it longer) that is driving distance to the DL area. Best days of the week to fly in/out, car rental recommendations, etc. are all welcome also! Thanks so much for your help!

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has any good tips for finding reasonably priced airfare and/or accommodations from YTO for a last minute solo trip to Disneyland for a few days? Originally, I was planning to book a trip to WDW for later this year, but being 2SLGBTQIA+, I’ve decided that it’s not a risk I’d be comfortable taking given the state of Florida at the moment (even though I’m sure WDW itself is very safe). Especially as a solo traveller.

Anyway, the one challenge about planning a trip to Disneyland vs WDW is finding affordable direct flights from the Toronto area seems to be a nightmare no matter when I’m looking to book, and I’m hoping someone might have some suggestions of where to look or the best email lists to be on for deals? Because this is for a solo trip, I am also open to things like “unofficial”/DIY layovers or flying into a relatively close airport (within an hour or two with no traffic, since I’m sure traffic will make it longer) that is driving distance to the DL area. Best days of the week to fly in/out, car rental recommendations, etc. are all welcome also! Thanks so much for your help!

So, the closest airport to DLR is SNA but flights there are typically more expensive than flying into LAX. You can also check out LGB but again, we have found them more expensive.

Benefit of SNA is how close it is to DLR, only a 20 min drive. LAX can be 1hr+ depending on traffic.

For accommodations, definitely look at the motels on Harbor Blvd, they are all really close to the entrance and definitely walk-able. Be aware that while some places on Ball St. and Katella advertise as being "right next to" Disneyland, the placement of the entrances (off of Harbor Blvd and also Disneyland Dr.) mean that you will have a fairly long walk to get into the parks. Some of the places that are further away have shuttles.

If you are only going to DLR, you might want to consider not renting a car. This will save you the parking costs at whatever hotel/motel you stay at.

We usually fly via SNA but our upcoming July trip we are going via LAX. My sister is flying from Ottawa and we are all coming from Victoria. Flying to LAX saved her over $1200 on her flights and saved us around $600, $200/person. Adding up all the savings, it was well worth flying to LAX and getting a car service to take us to Anaheim.

Some of the motels on Harbor will not show up as bookable on travel sites like Expedia and can only be booked directly. Desert Inn & Suites was our go-to place to stay before we switched to DLR hotels almost exclusively.

So, the closest airport to DLR is SNA but flights there are typically more expensive than flying into LAX. You can also check out LGB but again, we have found them more expensive.

Benefit of SNA is how close it is to DLR, only a 20 min drive. LAX can be 1hr+ depending on traffic.

For accommodations, definitely look at the motels on Harbor Blvd, they are all really close to the entrance and definitely walk-able. Be aware that while some places on Ball St. and Katella advertise as being "right next to" Disneyland, the placement of the entrances (off of Harbor Blvd and also Disneyland Dr.) mean that you will have a fairly long walk to get into the parks. Some of the places that are further away have shuttles.

If you are only going to DLR, you might want to consider not renting a car. This will save you the parking costs at whatever hotel/motel you stay at.

We usually fly via SNA but our upcoming July trip we are going via LAX. My sister is flying from Ottawa and we are all coming from Victoria. Flying to LAX saved her over $1200 on her flights and saved us around $600, $200/person. Adding up all the savings, it was well worth flying to LAX and getting a car service to take us to Anaheim.

Some of the motels on Harbor will not show up as bookable on travel sites like Expedia and can only be booked directly. Desert Inn & Suites was our go-to place to stay before we switched to DLR hotels almost exclusively.

Great tips, thank you! I will look into flying into either LAX or SNA. Does either airport have an easy way to get to the DLR area, or is it really just Uber/Lyft/taxis/etc.?

Great tips, thank you! I will look into flying into either LAX or SNA. Does either airport have an easy way to get to the DLR area, or is it really just Uber/Lyft/taxis/etc.?
I'm pretty sure there is public transporation but we have never used it. A taxi from SNA to DLR was around $40ish.

We fly out of Montreal to LAX directly. DL is so much more manageable size-wise, and has so many more walkable hotel and food options nearby. Have an awesome time!

We flew directly to LAX and used Karmel Shuttle. It was reliable and another family was in the shuttle, so that may be a bonus if you'd like to have the feeling of being in a group without actually being in one. Weekdays are great for park days, since there are a lot of locals on the weekends. Have a fantastic time!

We flew into LAX from Toronto at the beginning of May. We used MidWilShuttle to get to and from Disneyland ($240RT). I got the card for the driver who took us back to the airport if you wanted to arrange a ride with her directly (it would likely be a little less expensive). PM me and I'll pass the information along to you.

Travelling alone, I would recommend you stay at one of the properties as close to the entrance as you can afford. We stayed at Hotel Lulu (12 min walk). Not sure how I would feel about doing that walk on my own.

Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney is a must for a reasonably priced meal.

Thanks all! Appreciate these tips a lot. As I start to do more concrete planning, I will definitely reach out to those of you who have offered further help or contact info for shuttles, etc.

As a side note, has anyone used DAS at DLR before by chance? I know there is the disABILITIES forum, which I can look into. A lot seems to be around WDW there, but I guess it would be fairly similar at DLR? I've been to DLR much more recently than WDW (~5 years ago vs 15+ years ago), but both were before I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, so I'm also trying to navigate how that may affect my trip this time around as well.

Thanks again! :-)

Thanks all! Appreciate these tips a lot. As I start to do more concrete planning, I will definitely reach out to those of you who have offered further help or contact info for shuttles, etc.

As a side note, has anyone used DAS at DLR before by chance? I know there is the disABILITIES forum, which I can look into. A lot seems to be around WDW there, but I guess it would be fairly similar at DLR? I've been to DLR much more recently than WDW (~5 years ago vs 15+ years ago), but both were before I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, so I'm also trying to navigate how that may affect my trip this time around as well.

Thanks again! :-)

DAS is quite similar, you can pre-register ahead of time online and get the 2 pre-selects, or wait and visit guest services when you’re at the parks.

We flex to LAX and rented a car in August of last year, for the first Disneyland trip, from Ontario. We then did LA part of the trip first) and returned the car close to Disneyland, where we stayed without a car (totally OK) for the last 3 days.

Our family loved Disneyland, so much easier than WDW.

What was not fun was the Uber (or Lyft, can't remember) back to LAX, over CAN 120.00 after conversion. Still, much cheaper than keep the car for the last 3 days (rental) and parking at the hotel we stayed in.

I know a lot of people say to go to SNA instead of LAX, but LAX didn't bother us at all.

If the price is cheaper, I would fly again to LAX (mind you, there are 5 people flying in our family, so the price difference can get pretty big easily).

I was just there two weeks ago :) Toronto down to LA is similar to us Vancouverites going to Florida - it wont be cheap. Especially last minute. Flying into LAX is generally cheaper and more direct, though you'll likely have a layover either way. LYFT is cheaper than UBER at LAX. It cost me a bout $65 USD each way. If you're coming in at a peak hour it'll be higher.

Here's a link to a calendar of WestJet's direct flights out of TO and their schedule throughout the year https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/direct-flights LAX is listed there, but not SNA.

I like to use Google Flights to track various flights, and the longer you track, the better a sense you can get of what's a "good deal" and how far in advance prices come down. They also have a green/yellow/red rating system that will tell you whether a flight is cheaper/average/more expensive than usual.

Google will also send you alerts when the price goes up or down by a certain amount (not sure what their threshold is, but it's not every $1 or something annoying like that :))

I fly into SNA and it’s a short Uber drive away. We like staying at The Anaheim Hotel. It’s a short walk to the gates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter