• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last day for discounted cruise-COSTCO!

We booked our spring break 2007 cruise last night. we had a different agent and she didn't mention at all that the discount could end at any minute. She didn't mention April 1 either but I didn't push it. I had quotes from DCL, DU, and Vacations to Go and just compared Costco's quote. For our quad cabin and double cabin it was about $1000 less. We put the deposit down and our final payment is due 12/2. With Costco, you can't make payments. Overall it was a satsifactory experience. A super long phone call but we are thrilled that we are booked!

To Kimberly C...we booked through Costco around Feb. 1 and just got our confirmations on March 4.

mom23boyz said:
To Kimberly C...we booked through Costco around Feb. 1 and just got our confirmations on March 4.

Thanks for the info. I won't hold my breath waiting for it then. I just hope there are no screw ups since I got in before the no discount deadline and don't want to pay full price.

BTW on cruise and insurance I saved about $450. Does anyone know if you book your own airfare if the insurance covers it and/or do you need to let them know about your airfare (the added cost) when you do book it? I can't book airfare yet as the cruise is in 2007 and the air schedules aren't out yet. I'm certainly not getting air through DCL because I'm flying in early. However, I would like to have the flight insured and wonder how this works when booking Costco's insurance (they use Berkley). Any Costco shoppers know the answer?

KimberlyC said:
May I ask how long did it take to get your confirmation in the mail. I booked on March 2nd and was told 2 weeks. It may be in today's mail, but just curious if that seems to be others' experience as well.

I didn't get confirmation in the mail yet....but I do have a confirmation code, and it brings up my info on www.disneycruise.com .... I guess that is the important part.....Disney shows me booked, shows my stateroom, shows my dinner seating, etc.

I paid $1000 deposit via Costco to Disney, and final payment isn't due until 10/2007

KimberlyC said:
Thanks for the info. I won't hold my breath waiting for it then. I just hope there are no screw ups since I got in before the no discount deadline and don't want to pay full price.

BTW on cruise and insurance I saved about $450. Does anyone know if you book your own airfare if the insurance covers it and/or do you need to let them know about your airfare (the added cost) when you do book it? I can't book airfare yet as the cruise is in 2007 and the air schedules aren't out yet. I'm certainly not getting air through DCL because I'm flying in early. However, I would like to have the flight insured and wonder how this works when booking Costco's insurance (they use Berkley). Any Costco shoppers know the answer?

We are in the same boat so to speak...we have insurance through costco but did not book our flights yet...

unixadm said:
I didn't get confirmation in the mail yet....but I do have a confirmation code, and it brings up my info on www.disneycruise.com .... I guess that is the important part.....Disney shows me booked, shows my stateroom, shows my dinner seating, etc.

I paid $1000 deposit via Costco to Disney, and final payment isn't due until 10/2007

Check your confirmation closely when you get it. Mine came in the mail on Saturday. Costco has my toddler listed as the "Master" person on the reservation. :lmao: I'm sure he'd love to have that power...that is, if he was old enough to read, write or even speak in full sentences. I'll be calling them real soon as they just opened 20 minutes ago.

MMouse37: I just couldn't pass up the insurance as it covers most of our needs and was only $122 non-refundable dollars. But in reading the info I just received, its clear that there is coverage only up to the cost of the trip (so no-airfare). I would presume there must be a way to add it. Had I gone with any number of other companies, you can call and add (for more premium, of course) for additional items.

There are so many threads about great discounts and so many mentions of how many hundreds or thousands less. Less than what? What category? Do both prices reflect the same status as to insurance and transfers? I tried to call costco once or twice on previous bookings and just didnt have all days to sit on hold, sorry. but when I have sometimes looked at the DCL site what initially seems so much higher, by the time I knock off the transfers and the expensive DCL insurance (i'll get less costly from the same issuer through my TA) the total price, for 3 of us, on a 7 night in a cat. 8, not incl. insurance, w/o transfers, is w/i $100 of the cost for 3 in the same category on the same date as what is listed at all seas. i once saw dana come on $50 lower than that, but i was holding an on-board booking that was lower than her, once the 10% was figured in (and not addressing the stateroom credit).

So here's mine--with the on-board booking credit, 3 of us, DW, myself, DH (11 at sailing) in a cat. 8, 12/22-12/29/07, $4,892, w/o insurance, no transfers, and then of course there is a $200 stateroom credit, booked the day the new rates came out for december 2007. The number was $5273 at that site i mentioned, compared to 4892 as a result of having the onboard booking discount, and I don't know what costco would have been.

I invite others to post actual numbers and categories and when booked to help others compare.

logan1_2000 said:
There are so many threads about great discounts and so many mentions of how many hundreds or thousands less. Less than what? What category? Do both prices reflect the same status as to insurance and transfers? I invite others to post actual numbers and categories and when booked to help others compare.

Logan1 - I did the math.

March 3, 2007 - 7 night Eastern
DCL vs Costco
2 cabins - category 6 and 10

Category 6: 2 adults, 1 kid
DCL: 4536.60
DCL insurance: 257.00
Costco: 4140
Costco insurance:135
Total savings for category 6: 518.60

Category 10: 3 adults, 1 baby
DCL: 3602.80
DCL insurance: 316.00
Costco: 3316.60
Costco insurance: 121
Total savings for category 10: 481.20

Total savings for both cabins including insurance: $999.80

This does not take into account the onboard credit we can get by paying with our disney visa because disney has not yet released the 2007 discount code.

logan1_2000 said:
There are so many threads about great discounts and so many mentions of how many hundreds or thousands less. Less than what? What category? Do both prices reflect the same status as to insurance and transfers?

I invite others to post actual numbers and categories and when booked to help others compare.

Here are my numbers. Now, since I booked the day after this date was released and I couldn't figure out how to get it on the DCL site (should have used advanced search since it was not yet on regular) I didn't have these numbers available and I compared Costco to numbers from another really good TA. Nevertheless here are the numbers compared to DCL's site.

5/5/07 - 7 Day Western
2 adults, 1 child (age 2 at sailing), Cat 7 - Navigator's Verandah

DCL Cruise Only: $4173.40
Costco Cruise Only: $3477.00
Difference: $696.40

DCL Insurance: $257.00
Costco Insurance through Berkley: $122.00
Difference: $135.00

Total DCL Price for Cruise and Insurance: $4430.40
Total costco Price for Cruise and Insurance: $3599.00
Total Discount: $831.40

Now I don't know if I can pay more to have Costco's insurance cover my airfare once I book it but DCL insurance doesn't cover separately booked air at all so even if I can't its a fair comparison. Costco insurance is non-refundable, but I think the coverage itself is a fair comparison.

So far the only hiccup I've experienced with Costco is that once I received my confirmation by mail (16 days it took) my toddler is listed as the "Master" on the reservation. I'm hoping to take care of this today (as soon as I have time to dedicate to the phone call). For the substantial discount, I'm willing to deal with certain inconveniences.

KimberlyC said:
Check your confirmation closely when you get it. Mine came in the mail on Saturday. Costco has my toddler listed as the "Master" person on the reservation. :lmao: I'm sure he'd love to have that power...that is, if he was old enough to read, write or even speak in full sentences. I'll be calling them real soon as they just opened 20 minutes ago.

What are children suppose to be listed as? Booked two cruises with Costco checked my confirmation tonight and my 8 year old son is listed as master on both and my 2 year old daughter is listed as miss on one and master on the other. Dose this matter??????

So...

.... in my case we rebook while on the Magic last September for an October 28th Magic sailng in 2006. Now it's the end of March and I'm gonna call Costco tomorrow. I'll edit in my findings compared against my rebooked deal from September. OH YEAH, I did change the initial booking from September to the current October 28th date a couple of weeks after we got home from the September sailing.

SO... I'll be asking the Costco rep what her deal would be for a new booking on the 28th versus what it might be if we simply transferred our DCL res to COstco.

I ran a cruise compete quote some time ago for our October cruise with the admission we wanted to transfer a live DCL booking that was made while aboard. The quotes we got on cruise compete were sort of varied and unimpressive. Several were ABOVE our fare and only a couple suggested savings of under $100. So we were unmotivated to change from DCL to a TA for less then $100 of savings. I know TAs would be making at least 10-15% and we were a done deal with money in. SO to see no effective break was disappointing.

I figured that DCL must have enacted some pretty serious controls and threats against discounting or rebating commissions to gain business in order to see such a uniform pricing reaction from the TA community. SO - in reading about the Costco breaks I am quite curious.

More tomorrow when I edit in my findings. :thumbsup2

if the discount held out until April 1.

We saved a lot (about 10%) by going through Costco (and yes that includes transfers, taxes and insurance).

I imagine those of you with an onboard booking credit would not save much if it was through another TA.

However, if it's a DCL booking you transfer to Costco, you might very well get the onboard discount, the credit, and Costco's incentive.

Let us know how it works out!!

Well I can tell that the Costco discounts DID NOT hold out until April 1st.

I just called them 2 days ago for pricing for Nov 6th, 2006 Magic and was told that they no longer discount cruises...instead you get a Costco Gift Card to be used in their warehouses....NOT AN ONBOARD CREDIT. This policy is already in effect.

I priced out a Cat 7 Navigators Verandah for about $3300 for 2 people and instead of a discount they would issue a $275 Costco Gift Card.

Then I priced out a Cat 11 for 4 people (2 infants) and the gift card would be $200.00.

So the card is based on the price of the card.

I am already booked for that date, but was pricing for my sister and her family.......I wound up booking them at *********************...they still had the best rate around.

matsterrocks said:
KimberlyC said:

What are children suppose to be listed as? Booked two cruises with Costco checked my confirmation tonight and my 8 year old son is listed as master on both and my 2 year old daughter is listed as miss on one and master on the other. Dose this matter??????

Actually, the term master does not mean that the child is the lead person on the ressie....is just goes back to differentiating between adult and child.....Mr. means and adult male, Master mean a young male. Same for female...Mrs. or Ms. is adult woman, Miss is young female.

Think back to some old movies.....Butler addressing youngster.....Master James it's time for your nap.....,etc.

Here is link I found online that address this issue somewhat.....

http://www.toads.la/etiquette.html

x
x

I just got off the phone w/ Costco. I have a reservation for a med. cruise already (inventory control request fulfilled). costco couldn't even try to give me a price or store gift card amount since the Med. cruises aren't officially offered to general public yet.

She also wouldn't give me an exact % formula used. She gave me an example of another sailing and it was a bit under 10% for a cat. 4.

Hope this helps someone. Please keep us informed if you find any information. :grouphug:

mmouse37 said:
matsterrocks said:
Actually, the term master does not mean that the child is the lead person on the ressie....is just goes back to differentiating between adult and child.....Mr. means and adult male, Master mean a young male. Same for female...Mrs. or Ms. is adult woman, Miss is young female.

Think back to some old movies.....Butler addressing youngster.....Master James it's time for your nap.....,etc.

Here is link I found online that address this issue somewhat.....

http://www.toads.la/etiquette.html

x
x

Thank you. Its funny to think of my toddler as a master though. :rotfl2:
I had called Costco and was lucky to get someone right away who assured me that I would be the primary contact and mail would come to me and not young master DS (which is who the confirmation came to). Its listed correctly with DCL so I feel better.

matsterrocks said:
KimberlyC said:

MMouse37 was kind enough to clear up the "master" issue. (please see above post). I guess all the kids are listed this way. I thought it meant the primary contact person because he was listed first and the confirmation was addressed to him. In any event, Costco assured me that from now on the documents will be addressed to me. It shouldn't matter but I have a tendency to discard what may first appear to be junk mail addressed to my DS. His grandparents have sponsored zoo animals in his name and have ordered him online gifts, etc so he gets a decent amount of junk mail. Anything other than greeting cards addressed to him may easily get dropped in the trash.

Well, I got this info 2nd hand (so take it as such) and already it doesn't fit with mmouse37's quote... unless Costco is calling a Cat. 7 just an ocean view cabin instead of a balcony cabin.
:confused3

But this is what my friend was told when she talked to someone at Costco:

The last day of discounted prices was 3/21.
With the new program you receive a Costco store credit to use AFTER you complete your travel. The credit amount is based on cabin catagory.

Inside........... $200
Ocean View... $275
Balcony........ $350
Suite............ $500

Again, 2nd hand - but it does fit at least some of the quotes that are coming back.

Logan1_2000,
I have some actual numbers from before the change over.
No air, transfers, or insurance included in any of the quotes.
The DCL price is the website price on the same day as the Costco quote.

2 adults one child Cat. 7
DCL $3,750.67
Costco $3,439.53

2 adults 1 child Cat. 11
DCL $2,540.57
Costco $2,341.53

I have not backed out the exact numbers since all the quotes do include taxes/port charges (which are not specified on my paperwork) but no one discounts those. So it looks to me like the discount was probably 10% off the base cruise fare.

Can't say for sure how Costco worked/works with an onboard booking - but I have seen people post that they booked onboard and got that 10% discount and stateroom credit then transfered the booking to Costco for even more savings.
Of course like you mentioned... it's pretty rare to find actual numbers posted.

I'm looking to book a March 2007 7-day for 2 cabins (cat 6 or 9, haven't decided). I'm getting quotes from several TA's. Both cabins will have a FL Resident in them, so all the TA's so far say that if Disney offers a discount on the cruise at some point for FL residents, we'll get that rate. Does anyone know if Costco offers this as well? Or am I locked in to their price once I book?

To the poster who asked about the flights being covered under Costco's insurance if booked on your own...the answer is a definite NO. I asked this very question this week to Berkley and Costco. I booked our flights last Summer for this coming June and suddenly wondered that very thing. Oh well, the most expensive thing is covered, the cruise. If I were you and I could do it over again, I'd book the insurance thru insuremytrip.com and they'll cover the whole thing (correct if wrong) and supposedly its cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter