Lasseter may return to Disney

I would not understand Boeing, Exxon, Fox, DreamWorks, or any other corporation doing things this way, so it makes no sense to me for Disney either...

I work at a company very comparable to one in your list. We just had a situation worse than the Lasseter one. Four directors knew about it and did nothing to stop it. They demoted 2 of the 4. Rumor is that was because they couldn't stomach losing 4 directors at once. So other big companies consider business factors as well before taking action on these situations. I'm not saying that it's right, just that Disney isn't alone in doing it.

I agree. Disney is big on 'virtue signaling' these days though, so I guess it would have been hard for him to hang around...but I think that Disney is throwing their golden goose overboard. I hope they don't go back to making the crappy stuff they were before Lasseter came on.

I have to believe that others at Disney have been able to see and understand the reasons for his success. Maybe he's even been mentoring people. Maybe this will allow other talented people who have felt stifled because of the atmosphere the opportunity to step up and shine. But maybe not. Time will tell, I guess.

I am sure that Disney is trying to do this whole thing with as little fanfare as possible. They have a benefit that as of now there are no public lawsuits in place, so I am sure they are being as careful as they can to ensure that doesn't happen...on either side.

I have to say, I would have been more concerned at Lasseter leaving 5-6 years ago than I am now. Pixar's fascination with cranking out sequels lately and the fact that although they've made some wonderful films in the last 5 years (Coco, Inside Out) they have also made some very average ones (Monsters University, Cars 3, Good Dinosaur). Hopefully there system is enough to keep the weight on the good.

I have to believe that others at Disney have been able to see and understand the reasons for his success. Maybe he's even been mentoring people. Maybe this will allow other talented people who have felt stifled because of the atmosphere the opportunity to step up and shine. But maybe not. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm sure they have, but I'm a believer in that creative geniuses are born - not made. Folks like Lasseter don't just come along all the time. The thing I'm most concerned about is that will this cause even more sequels to come along? If the main creative force in the company is gone, will The Suits be able to push through more boring films? My gut says no, because after Frozen 2 they will have just about sucked that well dry. But who knows?

I'm sure they have, but I'm a believer in that creative geniuses are born - not made. Folks like Lasseter don't just come along all the time. The thing I'm most concerned about is that will this cause even more sequels to come along? If the main creative force in the company is gone, will The Suits be able to push through more boring films? My gut says no, because after Frozen 2 they will have just about sucked that well dry. But who knows?

As a counterpoint, I give you the Brett Favre example (football fan?). In the last years he played at Green Bay there was a lot of drama. He was also getting older, so no disrespect to him, but he may have lost a step or two. But he was the face of the entire team. He was the fixture year after year. When he left there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. He was great. No denying that. But he was not the only great QB out there. And Aaron Rodgers was waiting in the wings. And I have to think he learned a thing or two watching Favre. I have to think that helped me be a better QB.

Sometimes change is necessary and good. Hopefully Disney has that Aaron Rodgers whose been ready and waiting.

As a counterpoint, I give you the Brett Favre example (football fan?). In the last years he played at Green Bay there was a lot of drama. He was also getting older, so no disrespect to him, but he may have lost a step or two. But he was the face of the entire team. He was the fixture year after year. When he left there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. He was great. No denying that. But he was not the only great QB out there. And Aaron Rodgers was waiting in the wings. And I have to think he learned a thing or two watching Favre. I have to think that helped me be a better QB.

Sometimes change is necessary and good. Hopefully Disney has that Aaron Rodgers whose been ready and waiting.

Football fan? YES. :rockband:

Let's hope that Lasseter represents Green Bay's situation with Favre - and not Indianapolis' with Manning. :crazy2:

:flower:

Last edited:

Great example! (Huge GB fan here)

Well, Indy did ok with drafting Luck - he's just been hurt recently, but at least they put a plan in place

Unlike my Giants who instead of drafting Manning's replacement took a running back

Right now, I'll bet they'd gladly trade what they've gotten out of Luck so far with what Denver got out of Peyton Manning...

That, and the good will they would have had with PM being a one-team player...

Well, Indy did ok with drafting Luck - he's just been hurt recently, but at least they put a plan in place

Unlike my Giants who instead of drafting Manning's replacement took a running back

Not to get this thread off topic but I’m happy your giants took Barkley so that my Jets were able to get Darnold, who’s hopefully there QB for the next 15 years.

Right now, I'll bet they'd gladly trade what they've gotten out of Luck so far with what Denver got out of Peyton Manning...

That, and the good will they would have had with PM being a one-team player...

well, yeah, Denver got good results but a lot of that wasn't because Payton was amazing and I am sure he wouldn't have done as well if he wasn't on such a good team

They've had the same problem with Luck as even when he was healthy they haven't had enough around him

Not to get this thread off topic but I’m happy your giants took Barkley so that my Jets were able to get Darnold, who’s hopefully there QB for the next 15 years.

Will be a big debate in NY Sports Talk for years to come - did the Giants make the right call.

Honestly, if management wasn't sold on any of the QBs then they did the right thing as the worst thing you can do with a pick that high is draft the wrong QB as it sets your team back ~5 years.

We shall see. I have a lot of Jet fans so I hope they finally do have a legit QB

An important side note, and perhaps just because I am more cynical as I get older, but Lasseter has not left yet! Only that a future date has been identified for his planned departure. Sometime in the future, at some point in the future. My point is that this discussion has turned to the closure of the issue, and that is good. But the issue won't be actually closed until a future date, a date that can be extended indefinitely if needed. Just look to the release schedules of the movies!

An important side note, and perhaps just because I am more cynical as I get older, but Lasseter has not left yet! Only that a future date has been identified for his planned departure. Sometime in the future, at some point in the future. My point is that this discussion has turned to the closure of the issue, and that is good. But the issue won't be actually closed until a future date, a date that can be extended indefinitely if needed. Just look to the release schedules of the movies!

I'm a cynical guy - but I don't think for a minute that Lasseter will be around after this calendar year, and he'll probably be gone well before that if he's not already. He's not an old man. I'm sure he has more work he wants to do, and he can't do it for Disney anymore - so his shingle will be out soon...

Well, pretty sure they said end of 2018 and while you are right - i really think Disney wants to put this issue behind them. Disney for right or wrong (right sentiment but maybe not right reasons) embraces equality and fairness and things like #METOO more than most studios, and the story about Lasseter, while not the absolutely worst of Hollywood, puts Disney in a bad light, and they don't at all like that. So, yeah I think you will hear very little about John Lasseter until he's officially gone later this year.

And how did this turn into a football thread?

Last edited:
Well, pretty sure they said end of 2018 and while you are right - i really think Disney wants to put this issue behind them. Disney for right or wrong (right sentiment but maybe not right reasons) embraces equality and fairness and things like #METOO more than most studios, and the story about Lasseter, while not the absolutely worst of Hollywood, puts Disney in a bad light, and they don't at all like that. So, yeah I think you will hear very little about John Lasseter until he's officially gone later this year.

And *** how did this turn into a football thread?

fully agree - even just the perception of them pushing now strong female roles in their films and even among the princesses and pushing that princesses are no longer damsels that need saving ... you can't do that and then bring back the guy that was in authority and at a minimum allowed a "boys club" mentality in the studios

and I think the football talk got started and going as there wasn't really any new news for the thread - but agree with Rteetz that we should have "stayed on target" more

fully agree - even just the perception of them pushing now strong female roles in their films and even among the princesses and pushing that princesses are no longer damsels that need saving ... you can't do that and then bring back the guy that was in authority and at a minimum allowed a "boys club" mentality in the studios

and I think the football talk got started and going as there wasn't really any new news for the thread - but agree with Rteetz that we should have "stayed on target" more

It wasn't a football conversation. It was a Lasseter conversation using football analogies. We understood what we were talking about. :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter