Larger Family Booking Advice...

We normally fly in. We live in Illinois so the drive sucks but the costs to fly 5 people sucks more. LOL.

I checked out vacation club rental. Loved the possible price break and that I could potentially afford to stay at the Wilderness Lodge (the cabins are our preferred location) but they responded to my quote saying there wasn't any availability.

I guess I'm gonna have to book POR but hate how far it is from MK.

We are a family of 5. As soon as our 3rd turned 3, we started staying at POR and have LOVED it! It is a great place to stay! You can't beat the boat to Disney Springs. The bus ride to MK may be a bit longer, but truthfully, my kids always loved the bus ride as much as the park rides. Once we're on that bus, we are in the "zone" and I honestly couldn't tell you how long each bus ride took.
Also, look into booking with a travel agency that offers a special Disney labor day deal (even if you are not going Labor Day- google it). I was pleasantly surprised at the discount that we got with our upcoming trip.

We are traveling as a family of 8 (4 adults & 4 kids 11,10,10 & 8) June 15-30. We have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath condo, 5 day Disney tickets, memory maker, 1 day Universal park to park, 1 day Sea World with all day dining, express pass and Dolphin Encounter, deep sea fishing day. Medieval Dinner Show and parking at all parks still came out about $1100 (per family of 4) cheaper than staying 14 nights on site at All Star Music with only 5 day Disney ticket and memory maker. Condo is 5-10 mins from Disney, stayed in same complex different condo in 2013.

I second the idea of Windsor Hills. We're a family of 6 that loves our space, so we splurge and rent a 4BR house (note: there ARE cheaper offsite options!). We typically pay ~$1200 for a week. We like having a private pool, video games, place to stretch out, full kitchen, laundry--the whole bit. While I don't cook every meal--yikes!--my family prefers to be more relaxed, I cook quick things or we make sandwiches, etc. My kids prefer it to restaurant meals, so the cost savings is a bonus. I also only do a few loads of laundry--easy to throw in whenever.

Windsor Hills also has condos (in a big building) and townhouses (attached, in a row). Most townhouses have a small splash pool--10'x10'. There's also a community pool with a waterslide--plus a game room, playground, and other amenities. Since it's a gated community, it's very safe.

While the community is safe and quiet, you're literally minutes from WDW, and also from 192, which has literally hundreds of places to eat or shop, including Target, Publix, and more fast food joints than you can count.

You WILL have to pay for WDW parking, so you need to figure that in your budget. Of course, you'd be paying to park at a WDW resort, as well, assuming you're arriving by car. Flying and using MDE, obviously, don't require a car.

If Windsor Hills doesn't fit your budget, there are plenty of other communities that are a little further out, maybe not quite as nice, but less expensive. Virtually all homes have pools, full kitchen facilities, and laundry. Some have fancy game rooms, free movies, and so forth. VRBO is a good place to poke around for rentals.

We booked a house at Windsor Hills for around $1300 for 8 days/7 nights. We rented a car, drove to Target the first day and food shopped for the entire week. We did eat a couple of places at Disney, but stayed at the house for two days to rest. Our kids love it. We each had our own room and bathroom. I really like Windsor Hills, and they are kid friendly with the pools/actives/game room/movie theater and such.

I would rent a 1 bed DVC. It gives you a full kitchen, 2 full baths, and w/d. We LOVE LOVE AKL, in particular Kidani, but there are a lot of options.

We normally fly in. We live in Illinois so the drive sucks but the costs to fly 5 people sucks more. LOL.

I checked out vacation club rental. Loved the possible price break and that I could potentially afford to stay at the Wilderness Lodge (the cabins are our preferred location) but they responded to my quote saying there wasn't any availability.

I guess I'm gonna have to book POR but hate how far it is from MK.
Did you check the Disney springs hotels? The Double tree suites sleep 6. I was looking at it as I have a large family. Looks like its 505 sq feet I noticed the family suites at Disney approx. same. Also you can add a dining card as a prepaid option if you wanted the dining plan I priced the rooms at about 165 per night. You can book fast passes 60 days in adv.

For our trip in May we are staying at a house we rented on Airbnb. 4 bedrooms, pool in the backyard, $100/night, and only 10 minutes from the parks. Can't beat off-site for a family. You need the space for everyone to spread out after days in the park! Plus prepping and bringing some of your meals saves $100's as well. Win, Win, Win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter