Land Border Opening?

The new Canadian rules kick in three weeks from today so there’s plenty of time there for the US to reciprocate. Actually, since for a lot of people the hangup was never getting into the US (flying, for example, but also Canadians with US status) but having to quarantine after returning to Canada, I could see a lot of Canadians heading south in the next 3 weeks, as long as their return date is Aug 9 or later.

So does this mean we can fly from BUF as of Aug 9, but just maintain all of the same testing requirements?

The new Canadian rules kick in three weeks from today so there’s plenty of time there for the US to reciprocate. Actually, since for a lot of people the hangup was never getting into the US (flying, for example, but also Canadians with US status) but having to quarantine after returning to Canada, I could see a lot of Canadians heading south in the next 3 weeks, as long as their return date is Aug 9 or later.

Canadians don’t need to wait until August. They can travel and come home now without quarantining if they are fully vaccinated. Really not much changed for Canadians other then the test on arrival if you are vaccinated, and having more airports accept international flights.

Incredibly interesting that this was not a joint announcement between countries. U.S. diplomats were the ones being so vocal about us opening the border . . . and they didn't give a reciprocal deal? Sure, they might announce something in the next few weeks, but this seems petty to not have come to an agreement yet.

The waiting game continues...

Incredibly interesting that this was not a joint announcement between countries. U.S. diplomats were the ones being so vocal about us opening the border . . . and they didn't give a reciprocal deal? Sure, they might announce something in the next few weeks, but this seems petty to not have come to an agreement yet.

The waiting game continues...

The current border "closure" expires on the 21st so I'm sure they will have some kind of announcement (good or bad) at that time. I don't see them not reciprocating as others have mentioned all of the border states have been shouting to re-open because they for sure want our tourism dollars.

If the US drops thetesting requirement I may be able to make a long weekend trip. Go get tested at a walgreens for free as soon as we arrive and then come home within 72 hours.

If the US drops thetesting requirement I may be able to make a long weekend trip. Go get tested at a walgreens for free as soon as we arrive and then come home within 72 hours.

How do you get a free test at Walgreens? When I check their website about it, it mentions this "Show your confirmation email, a valid state ID or driver’s license, and insurance card or voucher."

My thought would be if you don't have those you couldn't get it? (at least for free). If we as Canadians can indeed get a free one that would be awesome and solve a lot of my problems for a potential upcoming trip.

How do you get a free test at Walgreens? When I check their website about it, it mentions this "Show your confirmation email, a valid state ID or driver’s license, and insurance card or voucher."

My thought would be if you don't have those you couldn't get it? (at least for free). If we as Canadians can indeed get a free one that would be awesome and solve a lot of my problems for a potential upcoming trip.
There is actually another thread on the Canadian board about testing in the US. Rapid ID Now tests are available at walgreens free of charge and Canadians are eligible according to Canadians who have done it or called.

There is actually another thread on the Canadian board about testing in the US. Rapid ID Now tests are available at walgreens free of charge and Canadians are eligible according to Canadians who have done it or called.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

The current border "closure" expires on the 21st so I'm sure they will have some kind of announcement (good or bad) at that time. I don't see them not reciprocating as others have mentioned all of the border states have been shouting to re-open because they for sure want our tourism dollars.
I would hope they'd reciprocate, but they haven't for a lot of other countries who fly in. Americans have been able to visit the UK for a months now if they are fully vaxxed and submit to testing and quarantine - guess who hasn't welcomed them to the U.S. in return?

The U.S. seems to be setting a precedent of not returning the favour if they don't like the terms that their own citizens have to submit to for travel. I hope this isn't the case for our land border.

I would hope they'd reciprocate, but they haven't for a lot of other countries who fly in. Americans have been able to visit the UK for a months now if they are fully vaxxed and submit to testing and quarantine - guess who hasn't welcomed them to the U.S. in return?

The U.S. seems to be setting a precedent of not returning the favour if they don't like the terms that their own citizens have to submit to for travel. I hope this isn't the case for our land border.
Unlikely

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/politics/us-canada-border-white-house/index.html

It shouldn't matter as only what you got for your 2nd dose is listed on you vaccination record. I don't think it will matter much for going into the US as I doubt they will enforce proof of vaccination. I'm all for anyone coming into Canada requiring to download the app
Don't you think eg cruise lines will require full disclosure of both vaccines in their online check-in questionnaire? Failing to fully disclose health info usually means barred from boarding once you arrive at the ship. Headlines today that Norwegian, Princess, etc have deemed mixing/matching vaccines not acceptable to cruise on their ships when departing from a US port. We all hope this changes in the near future and decisions are based on science. But for now, over 1 million Canadians who followed our govt's insistence that we take the first available vaccine to protect our communities are barred from cruising on most ships.

My experience on boarding is that the cruise line also has full access to the US border security (customs & immigration) information. I have watched the cruise line agent read their screen and confirm exactly when I entered the US and the address I was staying while in the US. I didn't provide the cruise line with that info. So once the cruise line finds out about the mixed vax status, they will certainly share that with the US border security. That could get nasty fast.

Wow, this is pretty discouraging to read. What in the world is going on that we can't work together?? We have a trip booked for March, but can't afford to fly down and rent a vehicle. We really need this border to open!
I think it’s all political at the moment. First it’s the US pushing and pushing for it (supposedly, according to all the other articles) and now that Canada has opened the US won’t?
I honestly believe it’s the way media is now spinning things. Not saying the US will open the land border to Canadians non-essential travel tomorrow, but I can’t see it be too far away now. Let’s remember too that they never closed air travel to us. You can fly to the US for non-essential reasons right now.
I know you want to drive and I do hope that’s coming soon, certainly by March but was just pointing out that Canada has been closed off to the Americans on all entry points. The USA has not been, just land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter