Land border crossing-unvaccinated kids

Bossy22

DIS Veteran
We are leaving in less than 2 weeks to travel down to DL, we are all vaccinated but we are travelling with friends who are vaccinated but their 3 kids are not. They are 12, 10 and 6. Can the cross both borders? What are the rules. Anyone done it recently and how did it go?

Hey I'm driving over the boarder myself with an unvaccinated 11 year old, and trying to find the information was crazy. I finally called the peace bridge directly, talked to US customs and was told that only over 18 needs to be vaccinated.

Those are the rules to enter the States, but keep in mind there's a whole bunch of things you need to be aware of to return to Canada, specifically for the unvaccinated:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

It looks like (from my reading) the unvaccinated 12-year-old will need to test before returning - the others won't. That's a huge logistical pain I hope your friends are aware of, and have already planned for (less than two weeks is not a lot of time). And - again, from my reading, but please don't rely on information posted here, you should go straight to the government sources - all of the children will need to test upon arrival, and quarantine for 14 days.

That's a lot of hoops.

Thanks. That's where I checked but I can't see where it states what tests can be used.
Click on the "How to provide proof..." link on that page and additional information opens up"
Options for providing proof of a valid pre-entry test
You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test result from a test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
the test must be performed outside of Canada
Proof of a valid negative molecular test result from a test taken outside of Canada within 72 hours of your scheduled flight’s departure time to Canada or your entry to Canada by land or water
for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
Proof of a previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test result from a test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada. Counting starts the day after your test.
for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water
if your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests
this test can be taken in or outside of Canada
a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a flight or entry to Canada and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

In March (when everyone was testing) we used the professionally observed test. Used a standard Antigen test acquired in Canada before we left, and scheduled a session with a Canadian Nurse who observed over our cell phone. It was easy and quick, results were in our email before we hung up the phone.

There is a sticky at the top of this Canada forum with lots information on the testing resources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter