Lady, you are not entitled to my time!

Magpie

DIS Veteran
So, despite this whole "no call list" that the Canadian gov't was supposed to put in place several years ago, we get several calls a day from telemarketers. Usually I hear that tell tale call-center click and I can hang up before they start speaking.

I fumbled my phone and missed the window today.

"Hello?" I say, in my very clearly female voice.

Older lady with a North American accent says, "Is this Mr. Magpie?"

"No."

"Mrs. Magpie?"

My limited patience for this kind of thing is now gone. And I can hear call center activity going on behind her, so I say, "Sorry, we're not interested."

And as I'm hanging up, I hear, "I haven't even said anything yet! Cow-dung!" (Only not so polite.)

Seriously, lady? You're calling me unsolicited from a call center and you're offended because I hung up on you? :laughing: I think it might be time to consider a new career.

(For the record, I do not want my ducts cleaned, I don't believe I've won a cruise, no, you're not from Microsoft, and to the ones who claim to be calling from the Canada Revenue Agency, may you roast in hell, you elder-abusing scum.)

We avoided telemarketers by having our landline only to give to people that bill us (utilities, credit cards, etc.) and cellphone numbers for everyone else. The landline is never picked up, we let whoever it is leave messages. And actually got rid of the land line last year.

The only time we answer our cellphones is if the caller is someone re recognize. Otherwise it goes to voicemail.

I got a call on my cell the other day, I usually don't answer numbers I don't know, but I started a new job and haven't yet put in everyone's contact numbers. So, the caller says" Is the Marie"? I said no Marie here. He was like ok, maybe you can help me. I was at work and it was a hectic and I was in a sassy mood. He starts with he is taking donations. Yea, I said I am taking donations too, lol. click up.

Do not even get me started on people who don't get what No Solicitors sign means.. or if someone knocks, I dont open my door, but I ask them if they need a dictionary so they can figure out what it means. If I didnt' ask you to come to my house,why are you at my door?

I got a call on my cell the other day, I usually don't answer numbers I don't know, but I started a new job and haven't yet put in everyone's contact numbers. So, the caller says" Is the Marie"? I said no Marie here. He was like ok, maybe you can help me. I was at work and it was a hectic and I was in a sassy mood. He starts with he is taking donations. Yea, I said I am taking donations too, lol. click up.

I've gotten a few of those calls recently! Always the same thing- they say a wrong name, and then say "oh, well maybe you can help me". Then, it's been a plea to help ladies who can't afford their cancer medications or to support the police department. I think it's a barely legal scam because a minuscule amount of money does go where they say, sort of... I can't imagine the kind of people who take those jobs :confused3

We got rid of our land line 2-3 years ago and I sure don't miss the constant telemarketing calls we received on it, even though we are on the Do Not Call list.

Thankfully we don't get nearly as many of those calls on our cell phones. If I don't recognize the number I just don't answer it, or if I want the ringing to stop I decline the call.

We constantly get calls for solar on our landline. That's easy to avoid because we never answer our landline.

Our cell phones have been hit up by a vacation scam lately, only it's not even a live person. It's a recording that's supposed to sound live...."....Hello?....Oh, hi there! ...." and it's always a local #. Very annoying. I block the number and they're calling the next week with a new one.

and to the ones who claim to be calling from the Canada Revenue Agency, may you roast in hell, you elder-abusing scum

I actually got one of those from the IRS. I called them back and raked them over the coals, using all kinds of dis-inappropriate language. I HATE people who take advantage of the elderly.

My DH got the strangest call from his aunt the year before his Grandmother passed. The aunt worked at the bank and Grandma came in to have aunt wire money to an account in Mexico because she got a call from "DH" that he was stranded in Mexico. She convinced Grandma to let her call DH to see what was going on. Of course we weren't in Mexico. What kind of scum of the earth prey on elderly like that!?

Ugh, I get those calls on my cell all the time - at least 3-4 times a day. I used to be able to just ignore them, now they often come up as originating from my local area so I sometimes answer them. So annoying!

I used to try to be polite, but I've grown weary over the years. If I don't recognize the number, I usually don't answer the phone and figure anything important will go to voice mail. If for some reason I pick it up and it's a telemarketer, I just hang up. I don't bother saying that I'm sorry or that I'm not interested, etc.

The other day someone was walking up the road with a clipboard, so I just didn't answer the door when the doorbell rang. I know that some people think that's very rude of me, but I don't see it as any more rude than someone calling unannounced. If I'm not dressed for company or I'm in the middle of doing something, then I'm not answering the door.

The other day someone was walking up the road with a clipboard, so I just didn't answer the door when the doorbell rang. I know that some people think that's very rude of me, but I don't see it as any more rude than someone calling unannounced. If I'm not dressed for company or I'm in the middle of doing something, then I'm not answering the door.

Lol, do you live in my neighborhood?? A few weeks ago I turned into our street and saw a young man with a clipboard a few feet away. I drove on past, parked in the back of the house and by the time I got out of the car there he was all sweaty & red faced. Apparently he had ran to catch me before I got inside. He was with a trash pickup company and trying to get new clients.

I used to try to be polite, but I've grown weary over the years. If I don't recognize the number, I usually don't answer the phone and figure anything important will go to voice mail. If for some reason I pick it up and it's a telemarketer, I just hang up. I don't bother saying that I'm sorry or that I'm not interested, etc.

We have a peep hole in our front door and if I don't recognize the person on the other side I don't answer the doorbell. One day the salesman must have heard me coming and when I didn't open the door he flipped the bird right in front of the peep hole. I still didn't answer. And now I tip toe to the door.

What's really annoying is finding out that your phone number is being used by scammers. I got an irate call the other day from a local number (which is the only reason I answered it) from someone claiming that I had just called her 3 times. She refused to believe me when I told her that my phone had been on my counter for the last 2 hours. I think that one of those scammer groups must have used my number when they made a fake display. Ugh.

We have a peep hole in our front door and if I don't recognize the person on the other side I don't answer the doorbell. One day the salesman must have heard me coming and when I didn't open the door he flipped the bird right in front of the peep hole. I still didn't answer. And now I tip toe to the door.

I canvass for three different charities (used to be four, but the Blind stopped doing the door-to-door thing). Kidney Foundation, Cancer Society, and Diabetes. I've done the same houses on my own street, every year, for the past 20 years. Every now and then the various societies try to convince me to take on another street, and I always refuse. Why? Because these are my neighbours and we have at least a passing acquaintance. I know who doesn't want me to knock, and I know who I should make a special effort not to miss because they expect to see me.

I do answer the door, but I'm no happier to see a stranger on my doorstep, than you are! So, as worthy as my causes are, I do try very hard not to be that stranger on your doorstep. :hippie:

And while I'd never flip anyone the bird, I do really appreciate it when people take a moment to tell me they won't be donating. Even better, tell me if you want to be taken off my list! No one likes to be ignored, and it's not like we're knocking on your door for the fun of it. My mother-in-law had Diabetes and died of Cancer, and this is about the only thing I can do for her.

The people I really appreciate, regardless of whether they can give anything, are the ones who thank me for donating my time.

We get these all.the.time.

One time from a breast cancer group (not one of the main ones I recognize) seeking donations. We kept ignoring the phone calls that would pop up every few days because it would say from "out of area" with no number. Finally got tired of it and answered and the woman said, "Ms. lastname - dang you're harder to get a hold of then my own kids! Geesh! I'm from such-and-such and am requesting your donation for our cause" or something like that. First you insult me and then request a donation...I don't think so.

We avoided telemarketers by having our landline only to give to people that bill us (utilities, credit cards, etc.) and cellphone numbers for everyone else. The landline is never picked up, we let whoever it is leave messages. And actually got rid of the land line last year.

The only time we answer our cellphones is if the caller is someone re recognize. Otherwise it goes to voicemail.
WE did that too! Best decision ever

I picked up one accidentally yesterday and when I realized it was a telemarketer I told them that I wasn't the person they are asking for since their phone number changed and to never call this number again.
We shall see if that stops at least one company.

I answered one last week when I was bored as "Thunderdome". Totally confused the person on the other end. I pretended to be the receptionist and there was no one who worked at Thunderdome by the name she was asking for and to please don't call this number again because she was tying up a business line.
I've no idea if a company exists by that name but it sure doesn't at my house. LOL

I have also answered one of the breast cancer charities (I had breast cancer and get tons of calls from various ones wanting money) and told her the person she was asking for no longer lives here and I was tired of getting the calls so remove this number from their call list.
Another one I told them I was the 2nd wife since the first left so quit calling this number.

I've also answered one of the fake IRS scam phone numbers and got the guy to actually hang up on me. That took some time though but it sure was fun.

Most times I ignore calls with number I don't know but if I'm bored or having a bad day, I'll pick up the phone and make stuff up always ending with don't call this number again unless they hang up on me first.

Last edited:
I refuse to answer the door to anyone with a clipboard. I used to try to be quiet but over the years but I don't even care if they see me anymore.

As for phone calls, I get a lot of calls for duct cleaning, windows and doors and free trips. So annoying!

I can't speak to the Canadian law, but the U.S. Do Not Call List is a joke because it has soooo many exemptions.
1)Political groups, exempt.
2) Charities, exempt.
3) Any company that you have done business with, or ANY of their affilates, exempt.

Those are the only folks who seem to call me.

I've tried the whole "I'll give out my landline, but not my cell" thing. Somehow the telemarketers have found a way to invade my cell. So much for that theory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter