Ladies, what's your shoe strategy?

Lillebelle

Luck favors the prepared
Planning for a couple cruises, all Caribbean, and I'm re-evaluating my shoe strategy. Do you have 'go to' shoes for your Disney cruises? I love my Rainbow flip flops for casually walking around, but for things like dinner where I probably want something a little nicer, what do you all do?

Planning for a couple cruises, all Caribbean, and I'm re-evaluating my shoe strategy. Do you have 'go to' shoes for your Disney cruises? I love my Rainbow flip flops for casually walking around, but for things like dinner where I probably want something a little nicer, what do you all do?
I typically have 2 pairs of walking shoes, a pair of water shoes (many beaches have very rocky sand), a pair of sandals, and a pair of dress shoes. That's seen me through cruises up to 30 days long.

Personally, I don't feel flip flops give enough support for all the walking I do when traveling.

For the 4 day next week, I’m just bringing one pair of nice flip-flops (I wear Spencos), one pair of dress sandals that match all my evening clothes, and sneakers. When we did the 8-day in 2019, I had 2 pairs of flip-flops, 2 dress sandals, and water/terrain sandals (plus sneakers). I think that worked out okay and I’d do about the same level of shoe wear in the future.

Shoes are always my biggest challenge. We also have the challenge is a family that we fly standby as airline employees and we have a dress code- no sneakers or flip-flops or sandals basically dress shoes. So I always have pair of black ballerinas. I bring one pair of Birkenstocks those are my “house shoes”that I wear everywhere on the ship. And I can walk quite a bit in those. And then bring a pair of super comfy sandals that I can walk in all day. More sport support type and then a pair of tennis shoes. Shoes just take up too much space and weight in a suitcase so I’d rather not have the full look I’m going for in an outfit and save room in a suitcase. This is why I try and strategically plan my outfits if it goes more towards black or brown shoes.

all I can say is I noticed a big difference in the chaos of shoes in our recent stateroom where it was just my mom and I vs a family of 4!!!!

Also one system I figured out to be more oraganized is we use our duffel bag with wheels as a shoe storage bag under the bed. We use that bag stuff roll on our water and alcohol, on board we organize that stuff in the refrigerator and drawers when we unpack and then we just toss all the shoes in there and that’s where all the shoes go. Under the bed nothing near the door or in the closet that’s just chaos. When we leave we stuff dirty laundry between the shoes.

Last edited:

we live in flip flops. I have a pair of 20 year old reef flip flops that I have finally given up on (but not thrown away) that I wore everywhere in college, walked through Europe three times in, disney world...I've literally worn holes through the soles.

so I got a new pair of reefs last summer and that's what I wore except to formal and semi formal nights. kids and husband was one pair sneakers, one pair flip flops, one pair dress shoes.

I wear a lot of Lilly Pulitzer on cruises. For shoes, I always bring 2 pairs of Lilly gold sandals to match the dresses. 2 pairs of Birkenstock’s - a silver pair as my go to walking around shoes and a plastic pair for the pool. I also bring sneakers for walking on deck 4.

I have a shoe problem, I have brought as many as 10 pair on longer cruises, 5 pair on shorter.
I make sure to wear each pair so my husband doesn't say I overpacked.
**I always overpack, but I can't let him know this info.

Don't forget water shoes, Castaway Cay water in very rocky.

I wear Waterproof Teva hurricane sandals throughout the cruise. For dinner at Palo or formal night, I wear dress shoes with a low, supportive heel.

Last edited:
I wear sneakers when boarding, and have a pair of flip flops and black Bobs in my carry-on. Shoes for all occasions without it taking up a lot of space.

Lol...this was many years ago when our teen daughters shared a cabin with their friends. There were even more shoes in other parts of the cabin.

I usually bring a pair of sneakers, a pair of dressy flats, two pairs of sandals and a pair of flip flops (for the pool/beach.

MJ

Black Rothy flats, running sneakers, casual flats (usually canvas sneakers), flip flops. I resist the urge to bring heels as I find them impractical for a ship that is moving.

In my past experience rainbow flip flops were extremely slippery on the pool deck. We switch to Chaco flips since they have better tread. For evenings I bring a simple and comfortable pump that goes with all evening wear. :)

Shoes take up SO much space in luggage!! I typically take a pair of plastic flip-flops, a pair of silver TKees and a pair of gold TKees (to wear with whatever I'm wearing to dinner). If we are doing an adult meal at Palo or Remy, I'll switch out one of the TKees to a dressier, flat sandal so I don't get caught by the dress code police, LOL! Always flats, though, as we do carry-ons only when we travel and I would rather save any available space for souvenirs!

Here’s a option I often use. Bring something that you would not wear because it’s uncomfortable and throw it away after you wear it on the cruise. And/or bring a pair that you love but don’t wear because you loved them a little too much and they have too much wear on them now.
Additional bonus, suitcase is lighter and able to hold souvenirs.
I threw away 2 shirts that I could not remove the stains, and a pair of shorts I hated that were better suited to use with a snowblower! They were so warm!

Last edited:
We fly so are space and weight limited. I bring a pair of flip flops for pool and beach, a pair of dressy sandals for dinner that will go with everything, and wear a pair of nice supportive sandals the rest of the time.

I have two pairs of comfy yet stylish sandles (brown and white) and a pair of flip flops for the pool deck and beach. Castaway is not really rocky so water shoes aren’t needed and it is always warm so closed toes aren’t needed. Our airport has a parking garage connected to the terminal so I don’t need warm shoes even in winter.

Keen sandals for the parks, pools, ship days, and ports/excursions. I have a new pair of closed toe black heels that I bought for a friends wedding in May at Animal Kingdom. They are very comfy and supportive with a not too high, wide heel. I think I will bring these on our next cruise, since Remy always has that comment about no sandals. I think these shoes can go up and down in dressiness that I can wear them to Remy with a very nice dress or in the main dining room on any evening. I think we will do the Castaway Cay 5k, so I will bring my running/gym shoes too. So, hopefully, only the 3 shoes. I used to bring 4: Keen sandals, running shoes, nicer but casual sandals for MDR, and closed toe heels for Remy. I never wear flip flops in public unless it's at a water park. I wear them at home all the time as house shoes.

I have a shoe problem, I have brought as many as 10 pair on longer cruises, 5 pair on shorter.
I make sure to wear each pair so my husband doesn't say I overpacked.
**I always overpack, but I can't let him know this info.

Lol...this was many years ago when our teen daughters shared a cabin with their friends. There were even more shoes in other parts of the cabin.

These both made me laugh - I try not to be as bad as that photo but I definitely tend to bring too many so trying to optimize here! Thank you for all the great suggestions!

I wear a pair of Sperry boat shoe sneakers for the flight and general boat roaming; a pair of running shoes (because then I guilt myself into walking the track on Deck 4 at least a couple of times), a pair of relatively low heeled sandals for dinner, and a pair of flip-flops for the beach.

Definitely bring water shoes for the castaway day my son refused to wear the ones I packed and he stepped on a sea urchin and had spikes in his foot the rest of the cruise. He hobbled around and was miserable. I love the fit kick ones (they sell similar knock off ones on Amazon) they are so slim and easy to pack. I pack ballet flats for dinner dining as we usually take the stairs instead of the elevators and it’s way easier walk in. Sneakers to do the castaway 5k and sandals

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter