Ladies from the 60's and 70's

In the late 70,s the phenom of men getting perms hit the scene :rotfl:, my mom gave me a home perm, it was horrible :scared1:, so i had to go to a place and get one, here is my high school perm days :laughing:, you could laugh not only my hair but my clothe style :rotfl:

Oh, low-key, you must have been a heart-throb in high school; your hair and clothes are so 70's and you were cute, too!! You could have given Greg Brady (or his dad!) a run for his money, that's for sure!

I didn't have the home perms, as I had long, thick, naturally curly hair. No stinky toxic chemicals for me; I IRONED my hair! IIRC, we frequently used Hawaiian Punch cans as one gigantic roller to straighten our hair, too!

OK, I just read the rest of the thread (posted right after seeing low-key's picture). Permed mullets? Oh my holy, I am glad I was a child of the 70s and not the 80s!!!

My mom forced them on me for years, for school pictures, dances, whatever. She has an obsession with Shirley Temple, and for some reason things permed hair equals to Shirley Temple's curls.
Thing is, my hair doesn't hold curl at all. So I would have to endure the smell, chemical burns...because she always burned me with that stuff, only to have the curl fall out within a day or so.
She still has her hair permed, really tight curls because she thinks it will last longer. We all call it her clown look, it just doesn't look right on her.

No Toni perms. We used to get our moms buy frozen orange juice concentrate so we could roll our hair to straighten it.

I begged for a Toni perm in the 6th grade. My mother wasn't much of a girly-girl so she was afraid of it. She left it on less than what the box said to do. Ugh, it just stripped my hair of everything and ended up frizzy.

I wonder now if my frizz is still in defiance of that one perm.

Luckily, no, but she gave my youngest sister a Toni once. For some reason, it bleached her hair white (she was a pale blonde to begin with) and it looked like she was wearing a huge cotton ball on her head. I got her school picture out for her 50th birthday party and it was definitely the hit of the night. Maybe she'll forgive me for it by the time her 60th birthday party rolls around, when I plan to get it out again....

Now, me, I ironed my long bushy hair in college in the 60's...yep, laid my head on the ironing board while my roommate carefully ironed it for a long time until it was smooth and straight. Five minutes out in the humidity, it was a bush again. Don't know why I kept doing it, but I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

My first perm was in the late 70's and my hair was stick straight. Less than two weeks after my hair was stick straight again. My hair's texture totally changed after my pregnancy though. What I wouldn't do for the straight hair now...

Oh, low-key, you must have been a heart-throb in high school; your hair and clothes are so 70's and you were cute, too!! You could have given Greg Brady (or his dad!) a run for his money, that's for sure!

I didn't have the home perms, as I had long, thick, naturally curly hair. No stinky toxic chemicals for me; I IRONED my hair! IIRC, we frequently used Hawaiian Punch cans as one gigantic roller to straighten our hair, too!

OK, I just read the rest of the thread (posted right after seeing low-key's picture). Permed mullets? Oh my holy, I am glad I was a child of the 70s and not the 80s!!!

He's still a heart-throb :faint:

Oh God yes. Looked worse than the neighbor's ungroomed poodle.

Funny. descriptive, but funny. And yes, the stench was awful. A few years ago I took my DMIL to get her hair done at an old-ladies' salon. (No one under the age of 70 would be caught dead there.) It stunk like the old-time perms. blech.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter