Labor day weekend weather?

Singinglizzie

DIS Veteran
Ok, I think I may be able to swing a quick Disney trip over the labor day weekend if we stay at a value. But, isn't it hurricane season? Anyone have any experience traveling there the first weekend in Sept? When did the hurricane hit last year? I remember reading all the threads, but can seem to find any of them. I got so excited that we could do the free dining, and right now all the resorts have lots of availibility - hmm, maybe for a good reason. :confused3

Ok, I think I may be able to swing a quick Disney trip over the labor day weekend if we stay at a value. But, isn't it hurricane season? Anyone have any experience traveling there the first weekend in Sept? When did the hurricane hit last year? I remember reading all the threads, but can seem to find any of them. I got so excited that we could do the free dining, and right now all the resorts have lots of availibility - hmm, maybe for a good reason. :confused3

Mark and I have gone the last three years for Labor Day (we usually arrive the Sunday before and stay for nine days). It is HOT--92 - 95 degrees and humid. There is a chance of rain every day...but when isn't there in Florida? We've missed the hurricanes, even the three that were around last year (and this included the five additional days we spent in Daytona after our Disney trip). We had one day last year where it rained about 45 minutes with a couple of days with a couple of brief drizzle periods. It rained mostly while we were sleeping. The year before (2007) it rained the day we got there for 45 minutes--a downpour while we were checking in and having lunch. It then stopped for the rest of the day; one day midway through that trip in 2007 we had a day where it rained lightly for 30 minutes while at Epcot and then on our last full day at the MK (which was closing at 6:00 that night for some event), it started to downpour at 3:30 or so and it did not stop until well after 7:00.

So it is hit/miss with the rain, but it is always hot/humid.

We tend to go there in 'hurricane season' and knock on wood other than the dreaded heat/humidity we only got some rain and mild winds...

However we went in February this ear and bloody was it cold! Even for northerners like us! So really you just never know ;)

We try to go every year for Labor Day, it's great but very hot and humid. Only one year, I think it was 2003 that we couldn't go because of a hurricane that weekend.

Last year it poured pretty good on the Saturday before Labor Day. I don't think we've ever got so wet at Disney but the rest of the vacation was great. And once Tuesday rolls around, the parks really empty out.

My dh and I went Labor Day weekend in 2007 for free dining, and let me tell you it was HOT! We spent most of the day at Epcot running from France to Canada to Norway to watch the films in AC. We left MK after only riding on the Carasol of Progress to sit in the AC at the bar at the Contemporary. We left AK without seeing any attraction to sit at the bar at Rainforest Cafe to (again the AC) drinking ice tea. At Hollywood Studios we spent most of the afternoon (it was down pouring!) sitting at (you guessed it!) the bar at 50's Primetime drinking cocktails with light up ice cubes (which was a great way to spend the afternoon).

Now, we didn't worry to much about missing attractions because we knew we were going back in October with our teens, but, if you don't enjoy OPPRESSIVE HEAT AND HUMIDITY....I would avoid Labor Day!

Is it about the same temp as July? We usually go in July and DH and I are going back this year over Labor Day weekend. I am used to the July weather and could handle Sept if it is about the same.

Is it about the same temp as July? We usually go in July and DH and I are going back this year over Labor Day weekend. I am used to the July weather and could handle Sept if it is about the same.

We went in July in 2000. That was UNBEARABLE and I love hot/humid weather. September is hot and humid, but nothing like July in my opinion.

It is a few degrees cooler in September than July, but hot is hot - I don't feel a big difference. Both times have a pretty good chance of an afternoon thunderstorm and lots of humidity. The big difference is in the crowds. July is super busy, and September is not, so you don't spend hours standing in hot lines or dodging sweaty tourists if you go in the fall.

There is a risk of a hurricane at either time, but September 10th is the peak of hurricane season, and September is a busy weather month in the tropics. There is usually a tropical system somewhere around Labor Day, but that doesn't automatically mean it will come to Florida or effect the weather here in any way. You would just have to keep an eye on the weather forecasts starting two or three weeks before you leave. One nice thing about hurricanes - you get plenty of warning.

Well.. the six month forecast is looking like this...

A low pressure system will move in from Texas on the fourth week of August.. and the crystal ball says.. expect highs of 93 and lows of 71 ... (kidding)

Seriously, there is a guide to Orlando weather on a year round basis that was written by a great member here on the DIS and it's linked in my signature.

Wow, you all are amazing! I just love the dis boards, and I thank you each for your replies. OK, I get that it will be hot and humid, of course it snowed yesterday in Cleveland so hot sounds sooo good right now :rotfl:. My fear in Sept. is that we would get a hurricane then be stuck at a value hotel, without access to a table service after upgrading to the deluxe dinning plan, but it sounds like we should be ok. I have been at WDW in July, so I know how hot it can get, yet it was still fun, especially since that trip I traveled without my kids so I really got to do what I wanted! What I really remember is how it rained alot, to our advantage, as all the families left and us die hards were able to ride many rides with absolutely no wait! Keep your fingers crossed that I can make it work to get to WDW over the labor day weekend. PS - it's would be another trip without my kids :rotfl2:!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter