Kudos to the Little Blonde Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fot the record, I never meant to offend anyone, and I still don't, nor do I intend to in the future- so I am sorry. I have never understood when people say that some Disers on here can be so touchy until now.

In my family and my friends, it's just a common practice. Nothing to do with gender wars, just men and young men doing what I would consider the right thing, and I honestly will give them more respect for it. I get that not every is able bodied to stand and give up their seat which is part of the reason why I would stand, standing to me is just another 10 minutes of bus bordem so if someone else wants my seat, by all means- take it.

I hope that some of you can just lighten up a little bit so that a Disney board can be an even happier place.

And to the little girl, I still think she deserves kudos. My main irritation with the situation is the dad or brother did nothing and just let her stand- that's messed up no matter who you are.

I always try to let people take my seat, but boy are the olden people really stubborn :lmao:. I suggest they take mine, but they look at me as if I just committed a crime (did I do something wrong? I thought it was a kind gesture, It's not like I think they're too weak or incapable of standing). Both men and women. I'll definitely still ask, but most of the time I just get the evil eye :(

The only people who take me up on the offer and treat me decently are the families with kids :/

Either way, you'll still be given dirty looks. If you don't get out of your seat, you'll be given the evil eye by the ones who do believe you should. Or if you do offer your seat, you'll somehow offend them as they don't want to be given any handouts.

I say it should be a first come-first serve, if you want to sit.. get there ahead of time or wait for the next bus. :earboy2:

That little girl made a very nice gesture and I certainly agree she needs to be commended. However, I disagree with the attitude that any man between
13-50 should automatically give up his seat. As women we want to be treated as equals and I think that extends to the seats. Whoever waited in line and gets the seat,deserves the seat. Everyone is tired at the end of a day at the parks and everyone wants to be able to sit down and it should be first come first served. As women we can't demand equal pay etc and still expect a man to give up his seat on the bus. Sorry girls!

Three things to do at WDW to stop this nonsense:

1.) If you need to be seated on the bus, wait for the next bus if it appears the one there is full to standing. My family has done that at WDW before.

2.) If you absolutely have to have a seat while traveling between the parks, and don't want to wait for the next bus, rent a car for your vacation.

3.) Don't judge people - just because someone looks fit, does not mean they are fit. I don't show off the large chunk of flesh missing from the back of my leg. If it is aching at the end of the day, and there is a long line at the stop, we wait for the next bus so I can have a seat.

I agree about women wanting to be treated as equals, not as invalids who must have a seat so the macho man can feel better about himself. The 'elderly' don't want to be thought of as invalids either - my 69 year old mother would kick anyone's butt off the bus if someone pulled the 'old lady, take my seat' thing on her!

There have been numerous threads on here about this subject - one that appalled me the most had a woman bragging how she bossed a teenager out of his seat, as he was just sitting there playing his video game. What if this kid was autistic, or otherwise mentally or physically disabled, and needed that seat?

That little girl made a very nice gesture and I certainly agree she needs to be commended. However, I disagree with the attitude that any man between
13-50 should automatically give up his seat. As women we want to be treated as equals and I think that extends to the seats. Whoever waited in line and gets the seat,deserves the seat. Everyone is tired at the end of a day at the parks and everyone wants to be able to sit down and it should be first come first served. As women we can't demand equal pay etc and still expect a man to give up his seat on the bus. Sorry girls!

I'm afraid that I have to agree with that. In this day and age women and men are supposed to be equal, not just when it is convenient or comfortable. A woman is as capable of standing as a man and since women have proven that they aren't made of crystal, have no reason to expect that preferential treatment is necessary.

I get done a day at Disney and my feet are on fire, my joints hurt and I am flat out tired. I'm sorry, if to some 30 something, I appear to be able bodied and male. I'm sitting unless someone with a more severe need comes along. Little kids always appear exhausted, but, put them near something that interests them and watch the energy and endurance level jump up.

As for kids giving up seats (depending on age) I actually think that is what should happen. We are not equal. Adults, especially older adults do not have anywhere near the stamina and strength that kids have. That's why all I can do is shake my head in wonder when I see 10 year olds and above being carted around in a stroller. It should be the parents that get to ride for heavens sake. At what age should we expect kids to use those muscles and the ability to stand upright and actually walk.

As each year progresses it just gets harder for me to understand what people are protecting those kids from. Actually contracting muscle tissue maybe?

If I get on a full bus I don not expect anyone to give up their seat as I got on that bus knowing it was full and standing room only and I could have easily waited on the next bus. I won't take my DD on a full bus if I feel she is to tired to stand I will wait. Why take a small child on a bus that is full expecting someone to give up their seat. Many people have disabilities that we can not see but still are there. As for the stroller that another poster brought up my DD who os 9 and looks fit as a fiddle has had to ride in a stroller at times due to she has juvenille rheumatoiod arthritis so please do not judge.

Okay, I am going to interject here. I think the OP was talking about pregnant women -- not all women (and WHO in their right mind thinks that women get the same pay as men? Someday, maybe. But not now). For anyone who appears able-bodied but isn't...you absolutely have the right to sit and not be judged. But so does an obviously pregnant woman or someone carrying a sleeping child.

As a woman, I give up my seat on the buses frequently for those who appear to require it. Male or female, old or young. And so do my husband and teenage boys. If someone chooses not to take it, I am not insulted. But the gesture is made all the same.

Everyone who is in WDW has been walking miles in a day, standing in line for rides, food, shopping and restrooms... MEN AND WOMEN. Men have the right to be tired too and want to sit. I'm not crazy about children standing up anyway, especially when they are too short to reach something to hold on to.

If you HAVE to sit, wait for the next bus, rent a car, or take a cab back to your resort. Don't rely on equally exhausted strangers's kindness.

Thanks for your links, Robo. I respect you but I disagree with you. I think we each could find as many online articles as the other to support each position. However, I rarely rely on Wikipedia as a reliable source.

http://www.cluw.org/programs-payequity.html

http://media.www.hofstrachronicle.c...orialopEd/Unequal.Pay.For.Women-3028857.shtml

I am a professional who is not unhappy with my wage. In fact, I make (slightly) more than my husband. But I do not think we have reached true equality on the gender payscale yet. Just because it is illegal to discriminate against gender (or race), it doesn't mean that it doesn't occur.

I don't get the insult in just making a polite gesture :confused3

When you are seated and someone comes on the bus and you offer them your seat you are saying that you are strong enough to stand and they are not or at least that is how many people take that now adays.

Now if you offer your seat so that an adult holding a sleeping child can sit or to small children who are unstead on their feet you will not get complaints but for those of us that are used to dealing with mass transit in big cities it has nothing to do with gender or age any longer but with physical ability.

I think you opened a can of worms here!

I am in my 50's and have often been offered a seat on a bus, but if I am not then thats ok, I can stand and do and don't think any less of the people who didnt offer me one.

What I would like to see is the family with little kids like under 5 put that child on your lap if some one needs a seat, and the ones who need the seat IMHO are parents with a sleeping child, they are dead wieght!

If you don't want to stand, then wait for the next bus, rent a car or take a cab.

I think it's nuts to get on a crowded bus and expect someone to offer you a seat. The person sitting may have let a crowded bus go by in order to get a seat.

I don't mind standing in the morning, but there's no way I'm standing at the end of the day.

I'm a woman and my salary is the same as the men I work with.:confused3

This can be a hot button issue and has been in the past here on board.You folks are making some good points on the issue.Please respect each other and do not make personal attacks on each other.You have the right to reply with your take on the issue and disagree with someone please just do in respectful manner. Thank You Danny

Three things to do at WDW to stop this nonsense:

1.) If you need to be seated on the bus, wait for the next bus if it appears the one there is full to standing. My family has done that at WDW before.

2.) If you absolutely have to have a seat while traveling between the parks, and don't want to wait for the next bus, rent a car for your vacation.

3.) Don't judge people - just because someone looks fit, does not mean they are fit. I don't show off the large chunk of flesh missing from the back of my leg. If it is aching at the end of the day, and there is a long line at the stop, we wait for the next bus so I can have a seat.

I agree about women wanting to be treated as equals, not as invalids who must have a seat so the macho man can feel better about himself. The 'elderly' don't want to be thought of as invalids either - my 69 year old mother would kick anyone's butt off the bus if someone pulled the 'old lady, take my seat' thing on her!

There have been numerous threads on here about this subject - one that appalled me the most had a woman bragging how she bossed a teenager out of his seat, as he was just sitting there playing his video game. What if this kid was autistic, or otherwise mentally or physically disabled, and needed that seat?

I'm glad to know I am not alone in thinking those very thoughts. I ws raked over the coals a couple weeks back for posting something very similar.

In my view if you are going to Disney with a family member that you know needs to sit on a bus, it is up to you to see to their needs. Getting on a full bus and glaring at people already seated is NOT the way to do it. If you are so preagant you cannot stand and you get on a full bus, shame on you! And shame on your family for not taking better care of you! The same thing stands for anyone with balance issues. Take responsibility for your own health and safety, do not try to pawn the responsibility off on someone else.

My ds has been giving up his seat on the WDW busses since he was 5. That's just what we do in our family. I also put my dd on my lap if it gets really crowded. I have also held onto strollers for the dads who are standing (that's a hard one: holding onto a stroller AND standing).

I don't really care what other men/boys do. In our family, my ds feels it's important to stand when it's crowded so he can give a seat to a woman/child. But that's just the personality of my son.

I disagree. I don't see why equal pay for equal work is in any way related to good manners. My now adult son's will always offer their seat to anyone that looks as though they need it more than they do. Male, female, young, elderly. When they were younger, I sometimes had to suggest it to them, but now they know it is the right thing to do, and do it just because they know it is right to do. I love my boys.:lovestruc

In my view if you are going to Disney with a family member that you know needs to sit on a bus, it is up to you to see to their needs. Getting on a full bus and glaring at people already seated is NOT the way to do it. If you are so preagant you cannot stand and you get on a full bus, shame on you! And shame on your family for not taking better care of you! The same thing stands for anyone with balance issues. Take responsibility for your own health and safety, do not try to pawn the responsibility off on someone else.[/QUOTE]

Well I say shame on you! What if the pregnant woman had waited for a bus or two or three, or was desperate for the toilet (which can happen every 20 minutes when you're pregnant) or was late for work, or felt faint or 100 other reasons why they needed to get on a crowded bus! I suppose you will say she shouldn't be out and about - why not bring back confinement like in the olden days - lock the woman up quick! :sad2:

Anyway, I believe in car karma (when if you give way to someone who is waiting, later on in the journey you will find someone does the same to you), so now I'm going to try bus seat karma, and see if I give my seat up for someone, then the next time I am travelling with my baby and disabled (but not visibly) daughter, someone will give up their seat for me! :lovestruc

Either way, you'll still be given dirty looks. If you don't get out of your seat, you'll be given the evil eye by the ones who do believe you should. Or if you do offer your seat, you'll somehow offend them as they don't want to be given any handouts.

I say it should be a first come-first serve, if you want to sit.. get there ahead of time or wait for the next bus. :earboy2:

I have to agree! (and I am a mom with 2 young kids) I think you described it very accurately-which is why I do not make my DH get up...;) if he chooses to do so-which he usually does-that is great, but more often than not, we experience the same things described by Instellar Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter