Kohls Cash question! If someone returns a gift that earned Kohls cash

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
and that Kohls cash was redeemed by the gift giver, does the recipient lose the value of Kohls cash if they return their gift?

As example - I purchased my nephew some shirts from Kohls and earned $15 Kohls cash. If I use that Kohls cash myself and then he later decides to return any of the shirts to the point where total purchase falls below $50, will he get penalized and get $15 less back? He will have a gift receipt. Or will they give him a store credit for the full return amount? Does this make sense?

Thanks!

CONFUSED...Another similar question: I purchased $100 of merchandise and earned $30 of Kohls Cash, one item was a $40 Nike Sweatshirt for my niece, I printed out the receipt for her in case she returns it. If I placed another order and used the $30 Kohls Cash on that order and my niece returns the sweatshirt, the Kohls Cash that I used for the second order will be deducted from the returned sweatshirt??? :confused:Did I misunderstand? Am I misunderstanding the above 2 posts?:confused: Thanks:goodvibes
There have been instances in the past, where I returned an item from an order that I put on Kohls Card and used some Kohls Cash. If I return an item, the Kohls Cash is given back in the form of a store credit card and the charge part of the order is credited to Kohls charge card.

I feel that now they spread out the Kohl's cash, so not all $15 would be deducted from a return. Is that correct? I have also been told that if you find something for the EXACT same original price, then you can exchange it or that item.

Yep it would be taken off the refund.
Whole thing is nuts IMO.
My parents often buy Christmas gifts from Kohl's and its such a pain if something has to go back especially if they earned Kohl's cash on one gift and used it to buy another etc.
Many people love Kohl's for their return policy but in the end I feel like the store is one of the sneakiest.

But what if you don't use the Kohl's cash, would they get the full refund? Are they able to track whether the cash has been used?

Yep it would be taken off the refund.
Whole thing is nuts IMO.
My parents often buy Christmas gifts from Kohl's and its such a pain if something has to go back especially if they earned Kohl's cash on one gift and used it to buy another etc.
Many people love Kohl's for their return policy but in the end I feel like the store is one of the sneakiest.
My bet is that people were abusing the system. I could go buy $500 worth of merchandise and get $100 of Kohls Cash. I then return the initial $500 merchandise and get $500 back on my credit card. If I am then still allowed to spend my Kohls Cash, I will then have gotten $100 worth of merchandise for free.

But what if you don't use the Kohl's cash, would they get the full refund? Are they able to track whether the cash has been used?
Yes they can track. If you do not use the Kohls Cash and they return then you would either loose all your kohls cash or it would be less.

Kohl's Cash and Returns

± Are you returning merchandise from a purchase that earned Kohl’s Cash?

When you return merchandise from a purchase that earned Kohl’s Cash®, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and it will decrease the value of your Kohl’s Cash®.

± Did you already spend your Kohl’s Cash?

If you have already used your Kohl’s Cash®, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and the amount of the Kohl’s Cash® will be deducted from your return amount.

± Are you returning merchandise that was purchased with Kohl’s Cash?

If you are returning or receiving a price adjustment on merchandise paid for with Kohl's Cash, you'll receive Kohl's Cash back for the amount redeemed on the returned item(s). You can redeem this Kohl's Cash anytime within 30 days.

THANKS! I totally understand that people were probably cheating the system, but it's very frustrating when I basically can't use it for fear my nephew will be penalized if he chooses to return and I've spent the KC. I don't understand why they can't at least give an in store credit for the original purchase return with a 30 day window (or something).

Just venting! Thanks!

If you spend $50 on 3 things and get Kohl's cash, do they spread out the Kohl's Cash return value among those 3 things? I don't have a receipt handy, but I thought that was the case.

was in Kohls last Saturday with my daughter to pick up orders we placed on Thursdays, there were 4 instapots on the counter that were unopened and clearly had been returned and boxes were sealed. she was wondering if something sneaky was going on.

this is why i like the way target does it-if you're doing a purchase that qualifies to get gift cards they structure the return value prices for the items you bought to take the gift cards into consideration. as example-i made purchases that in total qualified for 2-$10 gift cards but when you look at my detailed invoice on-line it shows all the purchases for the purpose of doing a return reduced in equal values to cover the dollar value of the gift cards. same w/their bogo promotions-it may be that it's buy 2 video games/get 1 free but if you look at the detailed invoice it clearly shows that all 3 games have been purchased at a price that is reduced by 1/3rd less than the cost of the lowest regular priced game.

This is why I only use the kohls cash if I am sure I am not returning anything. I buy what I need using a good sale price or coupon and let the "cash" go. That Kohls cash is a vicious cycle....lol
I also find that Kohl's claims to have some things on sale that are really not priced that well. I will look at Amazon, Target, Walmart and find it for the same price or less without having to deal with Kohls cash or minimum purchases for free shipping or whatnot.

THANKS! I totally understand that people were probably cheating the system, but it's very frustrating when I basically can't use it for fear my nephew will be penalized if he chooses to return and I've spent the KC. I don't understand why they can't at least give an in store credit for the original purchase return with a 30 day window (or something).

Just venting! Thanks!

I guess you can think of it as a coupon. If you bought your nephew shirts on an amazing Black Friday sale with a coupon at any other store...say Target you bought 3-$30 shirts for $7 each, then he would only get a $21 store credit if he returned, he wouldn't get $90 store credit.

But I agree with PP that I like the way other places do it. When I get 20% off at the Disney Store or Children's Place...then each item is reduced in return value and it is clearly on the receipt.

was in Kohls last Saturday with my daughter to pick up orders we placed on Thursdays, there were 4 instapots on the counter that were unopened and clearly had been returned and boxes were sealed. she was wondering if something sneaky was going on.

They probably found a better deal elsewhere. There's a particular toy I've ordered now from Target *3 times* in the past week because I've been able to get it cheaper (from themselves!), and they're not great about making price adjustments. Easier to just wait for the item to arrive and then return it! I've been mostly unimpressed by the Kohl's deals this season, and while I did get a good deal on Christmas PJs through their Veteran's Day sale, the quality is awful. Everything else I've been able to find better quality for the same price, or if it's a particular item, for cheaper elsewhere.

Kohls does kohls cash to get you back in the store or on their website

I also believe that if the item you bought with the kohls cash is returned you get the refund in the form of a store credit. For the amount you were charged including the kohls cash. If you buy a $20 gift and pay for it with $10 kohls cash the person returning it would get $20 store credit

Kohls is a math problem! You have to really think things through if you want the best deal!

If I buy online I figure out how to not lose kohls cash just right over a $50 if I return.....

Last edited:
I work for Kohl's customer service. There is some incorrect information here.

If you get gift receipts for the items that you give to others, and they return the items, they get the price you paid back as a merchandise credit. If you earned Kohl's cash for the purchase, and redeem it, it doesn't come out of the refund when they have the gift receipts.

I feel that now they spread out the Kohl's cash, so not all $15 would be deducted from a return. Is that correct? I have also been told that if you find something for the EXACT same original price, then you can exchange it or that item.

They have changed the even exchange policy lately. It must be a similar item (ie, a man's shirt for a man's shirt) for the same original price. It might need to be the same brand as well. Also, we can't exchange a clearance item for a non-clearance item.

They do pro-rate the Kohl's cash across all eligible items. The most expensive item gets the most, and so on down to the lowest priced item getting the least. But when you return items from the original purchase, and the return brings you below the $50, they take the redeemed cash out of the return. I'm not sure how they work out how much they take out of the return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts