Knott's Berry Farm worth it for us?

bangzoom6877

DIS Veteran
We're planning to go to Southern California in July 2015. Definitely going to disneyland and universal, and also going to the San Diego zoo. I'm wondering if knotts berry farm is worth going to for our group. We will be a group of 11, including 5 kids that will range in age from a year and a half old to 14 years old. None of us is really into thrill rides. DH will go on roller coasters if we happen to be somewhere they have them (he always goes on space mountain and rock 'n' roller coaster with the kids), and the kids will go on the less thrilling roller coasters, like the ones at WDW. Would it even pay to spend a whole day at knotts berry farm, or should we just go to the outside area that has the restaurant? Then maybe we could do something else earlier in the day instead.

Personally, I would say no. You can get tickets cheap enough, so if you have nothing else planned for a day you could check it out. I would rather spend the time relaxing by a pool, going to the beach, or sightseeing in LA

I'd say if none of you are into thrill rides that there would probably be better (and cheaper) ways to spend that day. While Knotts has some family-friendly attractions, the thrill rides are a large part of it and 10 tickets will add up.

I hope you are looking into the Southern California CityPass based on the attractions you mentioned.

PHXscuba

Personally, I would say no. You can get tickets cheap enough, so if you have nothing else planned for a day you could check it out. I would rather spend the time relaxing by a pool, going to the beach, or sightseeing in LA

Yes, the beach sounds better, and checking out the market at Knotts instead of the entire theme park.

I'd say if none of you are into thrill rides that there would probably be better (and cheaper) ways to spend that day. While Knotts has some family-friendly attractions, the thrill rides are a large part of it and 10 tickets will add up. I hope you are looking into the Southern California CityPass based on the attractions you mentioned. PHXscuba

Yes I'm looking into the CityPass because of Universal and disneyland. I figured that with disneyland and universal we will have plenty of attractions for the whole family and not have to do the entire knotts theme park.

the southern California citypass is a great deal.

I would say yes go to knotts. They have a lot of family friendly attractions/shows. and their kids Camp Snoopy is really really cute and fun. I suggest you take show the website listing of rides, and ask the kids what they think of the rides.

We went in July and purchased tickets online. My son isn't a coaster friend so we didn't do any of those. I attempted to jump on 1 but it was broken. We were there for only about 2-3 hours and then left. We did do the Chicken Dinner at the restaurant though and walked around the park 1 last time just to see if he wanted to try anything but we landed up just walking to the car and out of the area.

If/when we go back we won't get tickets there not a lot to do for the non-thrill ride person. I'll head to the beach or something else next time.

First, I'd say make sure you go to California Adventure across from DL. It's great fun for all ages. After that, I'd say Knotts is a long drive (about an hour if traffic cooperates) and while it's a far cry from Disney, may still have enough to offer because of camp snoopy for the little ones. I'd choose Knotts over Universal any day. My kids are 9 and 13 and not into big thrill rides, and we don't think Universal has much to offer. Mostly gory, scary stuff that older kids may like. Even the tram ride was depressing. Just my take on it though- I know others who really like it. Hope you all have a fun trip!

First, I'd say make sure you go to California Adventure across from DL. It's great fun for all ages. After that, I'd say Knotts is a long drive (about an hour if traffic cooperates) and while it's a far cry from Disney, may still have enough to offer because of camp snoopy for the little ones. I'd choose Knotts over Universal any day. My kids are 9 and 13 and not into big thrill rides, and we don't think Universal has much to offer. Mostly gory, scary stuff that older kids may like. Even the tram ride was depressing. Just my take on it though- I know others who really like it. Hope you all have a fun trip!

No - unless you're driving a tank, it's not going to take an hour to get from DLR to KBF. Even a trip by bus would take 25 or 30 minutes.

The plan is to stay right near disneyland (but off site, walking distance to the parks) for a few days, and stay in Los Angeles for a few days as well. That way we don't have to deal with the traffic from Anaheim to LA. So getting from disneyland to universal isn't an issue. I'd like to stay closer to universal when we go to LA but I'm still not sure where in LA to stay.

Disneyland an hour from Knotts? Um no, its only 10 mins away.

Universal gory? Aside from House of Horrors and the up-charge seasonal event Halloween Horror Nights there is nothing gory at Universal.

I would choose Universal over Knotts.

Knotts may have more "family friendly" attractions, but most of those are kiddy rides that you can find at your local traveling carnival. Aside from Calico Mine Ride and Log Ride, the quality of attractions is FAR superior at Universal.

Also next year Universal will be opening three new attractions, Springfield, Fast and Furious: Super Charged, and Night Time Tram Tours. Even more of a reason to go there. Plus, Universal is really close to the Walk of Fame and all the other Hollywood tourist attractions, so once your done with the park, its really easy to keep yourself entertained.

Disneyland an hour from Knotts? Um no, its only 10 mins away. Universal gory? Aside from House of Horrors and the up-charge seasonal event Halloween Horror Nights there is nothing gory at Universal. I would choose Universal over Knotts. Knotts may have more "family friendly" attractions, but most of those are kiddy rides that you can find at your local traveling carnival. Aside from Calico Mine Ride and Log Ride, the quality of attractions is FAR superior at Universal. Also next year Universal will be opening three new attractions, Springfield, Fast and Furious: Super Charged, and Night Time Tram Tours. Even more of a reason to go there. Plus, Universal is really close to the Walk of Fame and all the other Hollywood tourist attractions, so once your done with the park, its really easy to keep yourself entertained.

This is good to know! I think we will end up going with the city pass, so we have the disneyland and universal tickets all in one. I was looking into 3-day park hoppers for DL anyway, because I feel that's the perfect amount of time there from what I've read, without overloading ourselves and being burned out.

Does the city pass also include the San Diego zoo or is it just Sea World in San Diego?

Universal is generally better than KBF, but then again KBF is priced a lot lower. Sometimes Amazon Local will sell Scorebig.com discounts which can be used to buy KBF tickets for dirt cheap (like under $10).

We've only been to KBF once, but are going back in Dec after a visit to DLR. We all LOVE (including my DD) thrill rides, so it was a fun time for us. I find they have lots of fun rides for kiddos as my DD was just barely 6 when we went before and DH and I even went on a couple rides without her (we had friends with us to watch DD). It is worth mentioning that they have some really cute and fun shows to watch- nothing like Uni or DLR, but they have the old west theme and we really enjoyed them (even our local friend who always skipped the shows was really impressed). If it is taking away from something better skip it, but if you like the old west theme (not as good as DLR, but still very cute) and some rides its def worth the ticket for one day.

This is good to know! I think we will end up going with the city pass, so we have the disneyland and universal tickets all in one. I was looking into 3-day park hoppers for DL anyway, because I feel that's the perfect amount of time there from what I've read, without overloading ourselves and being burned out.

Does the city pass also include the San Diego zoo or is it just Sea World in San Diego?

It doesn't come with the zoo but it can be added for $36 they are normally $46. LEGOLAND can also be added.
My 2c: Knotts is not a great park, we did go during of peak but it was so quiet that we could walk right onto rides we had to wait for enough people to ride, almost nothing was open, it was a waste of a day. I agree the quality of the rides at US is far superior but there is not a lot for the younger ones to do basically just a Curious George play area. The other rides are more thrill rides as well (which we love but you said you were not a big fan) and their rider swap programme does not make it an easy park to tour with kids.

You mentioned moving from Anahiem to LA are you going to San Diego-I would suggest that if you are doing SeaWorld and the zoo that you would want to stay down there for a couple of nights as well or instead.

In LA with the kids you could head to Santa Monica Pier (it is probably about the same quality as KBF plus quite a landmark), you can also rent bikes around here and ride to Venice beach. Griffith park also has a lot to do (including LA zoo if you don't want to go to San Diego).

How many DL/DCA days are you doing?

It doesn't come with the zoo but it can be added for $36 they are normally $46. LEGOLAND can also be added. My 2c: Knotts is not a great park, we did go during of peak but it was so quiet that we could walk right onto rides we had to wait for enough people to ride, almost nothing was open, it was a waste of a day. I agree the quality of the rides at US is far superior but there is not a lot for the younger ones to do basically just a Curious George play area. The other rides are more thrill rides as well (which we love but you said you were not a big fan) and their rider swap programme does not make it an easy park to tour with kids. You mentioned moving from Anahiem to LA are you going to San Diego-I would suggest that if you are doing SeaWorld and the zoo that you would want to stay down there for a couple of nights as well or instead. In LA with the kids you could head to Santa Monica Pier (it is probably about the same quality as KBF plus quite a landmark), you can also rent bikes around here and ride to Venice beach. Griffith park also has a lot to do (including LA zoo if you don't want to go to San Diego). How many DL/DCA days are you doing?

The plan is to move around during the trip. A few days in San Diego, a few days in LA, and a few days at DL. I think we will be spending 3 full days at the Disneyland parks, so then 4 nights in anaheim. We're definitely set on the San Diego zoo, Universal studios, and the beach. Santa Monica looks awesome and great for kids, and we also want to check out Malibu beach. I don't ride a bike, but DH and one of our sons does. Oh I also want to go to the Hollywood Museum, it looks amazing!!

It doesn't come with the zoo but it can be added for $36 they are normally $46. LEGOLAND can also be added. My 2c: Knotts is not a great park, we did go during of peak but it was so quiet that we could walk right onto rides we had to wait for enough people to ride, almost nothing was open, it was a waste of a day. I agree the quality of the rides at US is far superior but there is not a lot for the younger ones to do basically just a Curious George play area. The other rides are more thrill rides as well (which we love but you said you were not a big fan) and their rider swap programme does not make it an easy park to tour with kids. You mentioned moving from Anahiem to LA are you going to San Diego-I would suggest that if you are doing SeaWorld and the zoo that you would want to stay down there for a couple of nights as well or instead. In LA with the kids you could head to Santa Monica Pier (it is probably about the same quality as KBF plus quite a landmark), you can also rent bikes around here and ride to Venice beach. Griffith park also has a lot to do (including LA zoo if you don't want to go to San Diego). How many DL/DCA days are you doing?

Definitely set on the San Diego zoo. Not sure how long we're staying in each place,except for anaheim, where we will be staying 4 nights and going to the parks 3 days. My niece wants to go to legoland also, which I know is close to San Diego. Three separate hotel stays...LA, anaheim and San Diego. We definitely want to go to Santa Monica while in the LA area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter