Knockoff Purses in St. Thomas or PR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBFergie

Insane Mom
In a previous thread AnnMorin wrote:
" Down on the waterfront in St. Thomas near the old fort there is a "bazaar type area". You will see a bunch of gazeebo type tents, they sell all kinds of knock off merchandise there I would think you can find a "rolex" from that group. I got my MIL a "prada" wallet for $18.00 (looks just like the $200.00 one- although she has no clue who prada is in the first place and just needed a new wallet) "

Are these tents easy to find. My DD13 is dying for some knock off LV purses.

Does anybody know if they have the knock offs in San Juan?

Any and all help is appreciated.

The tents are easy to find they are right on the main street. Just to the right if you tender in. St. Maarten according to my DW had better knockoffs. They use the actual letters that the brand name uses such as C for Coach, etc. Comparing it to the bag we bought at Coach in St. Thomas I thought we could have saved a ton of money, but what do I know???? :confused3:teeth: :hyper:

are the coach store prices a good deal ? Do I need to look for that store or is it like the coach stores here in the states?

St. Maarten is definitely the place to find knockoff Louis Vuittons. I bought a style that is $1200 if it's genuine Louis. It was $55, and the shopkeeper threw in a matching wallet free! I think it would take a bag expert to detect it--it has the exact monogram.

Do they have knockoff Hermes bags? Gads..gonna need to put away some money for this trip!

We aren't going to St. Maarten...We are on the first cruise to San Juan, PR instead. I know last year in St. Maarten there was a great store..but DD wasn't into it then.

Flame away if you want, but IMHO knock off purses are truly the ultimate in tacky. It's not difficult to tell the difference between fake and real. The quality is just not there. If you want a cheap, cute, fashion purse just buy one at Macys, Walmart, Kmart or Target. It's sure a lot more stylish than carrying a black market, trademark infringing piece of junk. Wouldn't you rather support manufacturers that employ people to produce an honest product, instead of handing over your money to a bunch of criminals? :rolleyes:

are the coach store prices a good deal ? Do I need to look for that store or is it like the coach stores here in the states?

Hi smahoney-

I got my very 1st Coach bag in St. Thomas. I was on my honeymoon and we had a wad of wedding gift money burning a hole in our pockets!!! The prices were good, not great, but I also didn't have to pay tax on it. I got a great black leather bag (good size) for $150.00. Of course I snipped the tags of it and carried it through customs like I had owned it forever!!!

I just find it sad that the average american can either buy a designer purse or you can pay for a disney vacation.

Either that's an expensive purse or it's a cheap vacation!!!! :teeth:

Erin :D

Originally posted by princess Snow
St. Maarten is definitely the place to find knockoff Louis Vuittons. I bought a style that is $1200 if it's genuine Louis. It was $55, and the shopkeeper threw in a matching wallet free! I think it would take a bag expert to detect it--it has the exact monogram.

There are ways to detect the real bags from the fakes. You'll never find the LV in any seem on the real bags, but will on the fakes. The straps are always the first sign that the bag is a fake. The insides of the bags are very different. I have no problems telling which are real and which are by looking at them and I've seen some of the best knock-offs. Almost anyone who has a few have no problems telling which are real and which are fake. I personally would never carry the fake ones.
If you can't afford to buy the real bag, why would you buy a knock off and not some nice hand bag that is in your price range. After all, it is illegal! I guess it just bothers me alittle since I have the real ones and pay the legitimate price along with the appropriate taxes to enjoy them.

Originally posted by anlashokna
I just find it sad that the average american can either buy a designer purse or you can pay for a disney vacation.

Sorry, but this is not even close to sad. We're all sitting in our comfy homes, reading the DIS and discussing how to have an awesome vacation. We are all very blessed here, covered in designer logos or not.

In the words of Sheryl Crow -
"It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got."

Originally posted by smahoney6

I don't think the prices are all that much better than the States, because of licensing issues and prices being set by Coach. You can save sales tax if your state has it and you can also say you got it in the islands. The store did give us a bunch of freebies such as drinks, some food, etc right in the bar upstairs. It was kind of nice.

If you're looking for Coach at a great price, there's an outlet on International Drive in Orlando. And the stuff they sell is the REAL McCoy!

Originally posted by 1stNoel
Flame away if you want, but IMHO knock off purses are truly the ultimate in tacky. It's not difficult to tell the difference between fake and real. The quality is just not there. If you want a cheap, cute, fashion purse just buy one at Macys, Walmart, Kmart or Target. It's sure a lot more stylish than carrying a black market, trademark infringing piece of junk. Wouldn't you rather support manufacturers that employ people to produce an honest product, instead of handing over your money to a bunch of criminals? :rolleyes:

This is just rude. For those of you who can afford to drop $1200 on a purse, good for you. Go ahead and brag. However, many of us like bargains. I really don't care what the inside of my bag looks like anyway. I get so many compliments when I carry my fake Louis, and the money I saved can buy me a cruise!

Originally posted by princess Snow
This is just rude. For those of you who can afford to drop $1200 on a purse, good for you. Go ahead and brag. However, many of us like bargains. I really don't care what the inside of my bag looks like anyway. I get so many compliments when I carry my fake Louis, and the money I saved can buy me a cruise!

The thing is you're buying an illegal purse, that's why you can't buy them in Macy's or some store like that. I'm just of the mind that if I can't afford the real thing, than I wouldn't bother carrying one, I would buy a lovely bag that I like and can afford. It would personally bother me if someone admired my fake bag not to tell them that it was fake, but that's just me. I don't think that anyone who owns a real LV bag is bragging, and by the way they don't start at $1200, but I do find it alittle offense that the rip-offs are out there as it does belittle the real purchase. I could save myself a lot of money by buying the knock-off's at my hair salon, but I don't because again, if I can't have the real thing, I dont want it. My husband gave me an expensive white LV bag for Christmas and though I love it, I did tell him that it bothers me alittle to spend so much money on this when there are so many rip-offs out there in our community. I'm not bragging, just being honest about my feelings.

You may get many compliments when you carry the bag, but I guarantee there are those who look at your bag and know it's a fake. I see this the same as buying that stereo "that fell off the back of a truck". It's against the law. Did anyone read the article about the flight attendants who got busted for having parties selling these bags? They were bringing them back home after their flights to NY city and eventually got busted.

Before you spend your money on the knock off purses you should remember that it is 100% illegal to knowingly bring a counterfit purse (or anything) into the USA. You can be stopped at customs when the ship docks, the purse(s) confiscated, you can be fined and in some cases arrested, is it worth the gamble ??.

All it takes is one customs agent who is on the hunt for counterfit handbags, is bored, or over zealous....

Perhaps having a family member as a federal agent puts a biased spin on thngs but I would never risk it. You get on the customs
"watch" list and anytime you leave the USA you will be searched upon returning.

WOW, I never thought about them checking when you went through customs.

Before you spend your money on the knock off purses you should remember that it is 100% illegal to knowingly bring a counterfit purse (or anything) into the USA. You can be stopped at customs when the ship docks, the purse(s) confiscated, you can be fined and in some cases arrested, is it worth the gamble ??.

I was researching Santee Alley in Los Angeles to find out more about the knockoff designer handbags. During a two hour research session about blackmarket ripoff designer goods, I read that it is not illegal to own these pirated goods. It is only illegal to sell them.

I was a little worried myself, b/c a relative had given me a pirated Prada bag and I was worrried about getting into trouble for carrying it.

I guess going through customs with it is a different story, that would be smuggling illegal goods into the country or something. Yikes! I would never risk it.

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter