Kite show šŸ™ƒ

I was at the 1:15pm showing today (Jungle Book).
Disclaimer: I tend to see everything, especially at Disney, with rose-colored glasses. Mostly, because Iā€™m having such a good time with my family when Iā€™m there.
As soon as the jet skis started it immediately reminded me of Sea World in the 90ā€™s. The concept of the production just didnā€™t seem ā€˜Disneyā€™. I thought the CMā€™s did a great job trying to engage the crowd. I also felt that the puppets they were walking around with were beautiful. But the kites being pulled by the jet skis were not. There was one pretty set 6 high with colored tails. The rest were lame. Everything at AK is so detailed and visually pleasing but large ā€˜kitesā€™ were awkward. Their orientation made them appear limp. Then they landed them šŸ˜³ Every landing looked like an accident. Uncomfortable to watch. Disney is always hiding the ugly, un-magical aspect of things so to see this mess seemed odd. I think they could save this show by redesigning the main kites. View attachment 609900View attachment 609901View attachment 609902
Also, when we were leaving a CM said, ā€œwe actually did it folks. We actually did itā€. šŸ¤£ Iā€™m assuming she was referring to no wrecks.View attachment 609910
Edit: Wanted to add a pic of a landed kite.

You bring up such a great point! While I saw another person say this is a pretty typical/normal way to land kites ... disney does hide the ugly. I think this show wouldn't necessarily be an issue if they somehow created a private or hidden area to drop and deflate the kites in!

sorry but this show is horrendousā€¦Iā€™ve seen better plays put on by 6 year olds.

$110-135 per day for a park pass, you best beleive the show better be damn good.

They store them all along the lake in these wooden structures on floating docks. These are in front of Asia. View attachment 610206View attachment 610207
This is the landed the prickly pear kite.View attachment 610208

In the video posted on the DIS YouTube channel, the first Baloo kite most definitely comes in from backstage already up. Later in the show, the King Louie one comes from the sidelines.

I am wondering why they don't all come from backstage like the Baloo one does in that video, and take them down back there too.

Why didnā€™t Disney opt to do what they did at Epcotā€¦our permanent structures in. Stargate 2.0.

they could do water, lights, lasers, etc.

No one can expect much out of a show with no fireworks. I think people get it.
Animal Kingdom closes well before dark for a large part of the year because of the new shortened hours. I don't think a laser show would work.

This does not bode well for whatever they're going to scale the fantasmic theatre down to whenever they decide to put something back in there.

Good point...Fantasmic was never a must-do for me but if I was around and went, I enjoyed it! It seems maybe just some updates and minor mods could keep it a pretty deceny show?

Animal Kingdom closes well before dark for a large part of the year because of the new shortened hours. I don't think a laser show would work.

I have spent way too much time at night when I can't sleep thinking about this šŸ˜† Why couldn't they build some multi-level platforms over the water and do a scaled down version of the Lion King show that they do on Broadway? It's pretty impressive and with moving platforms, some music and lights, some water features added, it seems it would be perfect! Maybe the scale would be hard to see from the bleachers but someone smarter than me should be able to figure that out, I'd think!

Just saw it live for the first time. While not horrible, I would not walk across the park to see it. It's cute in a hokey kind of way. I think the most exciting part was watching to see if they were going to dunk the kites before they were supposed to. Very close a few times. Sadly, the none kite part of the show is only on one set of the stands and we were on the wrong set. Clearly a one and done for us. Sadly, the videos of the show don't lie.

We saw this last week and thought it was delightful! You have to take it for what it is. It's a cute little show that you can walk up to last minute, grab a seat and have some fun. The kites are hilarious and at least for our show the crowd was definitely into it. The CM's are fantastic working the crowd and getting the kids involved. It's not a multi million dollar nighttime extravaganza. It's a fun diversion in the middle of a busy park day, and those CM's driving the jet skis and handling the kites are working their tails off!

Everyone keeps lamenting the loss of streetmosphere and other entertainment in the parks. You have to put Kite Tails in that category and just enjoy it for what it is. Unfortunately, Disney - as the always do - oversold it as some big time show. It's not, but it's still a ton of fun.

My one complaint is the lack of shade, but you don't even have to be in the stands to see it. Just be in that vicinity and you'll see the kites. We watched the Jungle Book version from the stands, but caught the Lion King one while sitting in the shade next to the Anandapur ice cream cart.

We saw this last week and thought it was delightful! You have to take it for what it is. It's a cute little show that you can walk up to last minute, grab a seat and have some fun. The kites are hilarious and at least for our show the crowd was definitely into it. The CM's are fantastic working the crowd and getting the kids involved. It's not a multi million dollar nighttime extravaganza. It's a fun diversion in the middle of a busy park day, and those CM's driving the jet skis and handling the kites are working their tails off!

Everyone keeps lamenting the loss of streetmosphere and other entertainment in the parks. You have to put Kite Tails in that category and just enjoy it for what it is. Unfortunately, Disney - as the always do - oversold it as some big time show. It's not, but it's still a ton of fun.

My one complaint is the lack of shade, but you don't even have to be in the stands to see it. Just be in that vicinity and you'll see the kites. We watched the Jungle Book version from the stands, but caught the Lion King one while sitting in the shade next to the Anandapur ice cream cart.

You make it sound like something I really might enjoy seeing. Thanks!

In the video posted on the DIS YouTube channel, the first Baloo kite most definitely comes in from backstage already up. Later in the show, the King Louie one comes from the sidelines.

I am wondering why they don't all come from backstage like the Baloo one does in that video, and take them down back there too.
Baloo did come in from the backstage on Thursday. It was out on the deck with the other kites

waaaaaaaay to many resources are used on this show. Those people would be better spent doing anything but this.

waaaaaaaay to many resources are used on this show. Those people would be better spent doing anything but this.
Hadn't thought about it, but you're right, that show takes a huge number of people to put on.
While I wasn't impressed with it, I will give them credit for trying something different. I think if it were in a larger body of water, it probably would be better. That is just too small for those large kites.

Has anyone tried watching from the outdoor dining behind Flametree? Or would that be too far away to see anything? Just wondering if the show is better with food šŸ˜‚

I agree with most, it was so bad. We laughed all the way through it, and even harder after we walked out and tried to process what we just saw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter