Kids who like Edge, and kids who don't like Edge

My 7 and 10 yo easily stayed up until 11 last cruise. The 7 to will sleep in tho and it didn't take her long to crash once her head hit the pillow. I don't think 9-11 is unreasonable for an ice breaker. I'm also usually pretty tired that late, especially after a 3 course dinner, and would have a hard time staying up myself if I didn't work naps into our cruise time. Kids and grownups included. Another benefit to staying up later is the lines for characters are generally slightly shorter after dinner and there's some other activities too I'd rather not miss.

A waiver for the 11 year old to go to Oceaneers? No there are no exceptions for a child to move down to a lower age group.
No there is not Star Wars or marvel theming in Edge
Do the Edge kids still invade the Club and the Vibe?

Uhh because that's usually when the icebreakers are in the Edge and Vibe and there are teens in there.
with new rules, at least 50% of intended population (11&12yo) will not be teens in Edge. It's one thing to have optional activities that late for anyone who wants to stay up. It's completely different to have almost-mandatory "icebreaker" activities at that time or otherwise your kid will be all but excluded from being part of a group for the rest of the cruise.
anyway, it is what it is. I'm glad it works for those for whom it works. May not work for us and we will have ot rethink if DCL is the right vacation for us.

It's completely different to have almost-mandatory "icebreaker" activities at that time or otherwise your kid will be all but excluded from being part of a group for the rest of the cruise.
As parent of an (older) teen who still goes to bed early by choice, I understand the concern. But she has always managed to stay up late when it was important TO HER. Make this activity important to your kid(s) and they will want to attend.

It's a logistical issue. That is not just a "get to know you" ice-breaker activity but their planning session for the cruise -- what kind of activities interest this particular group of Edge kids (such as invade the Club/Lab, invade Vibe, sports deck, etc.). If scheduled earlier it conflicts with dinner/shows. Before dinner conflicts with muster and sail away.

with new rules, at least 50% of intended population (11&12yo) will not be teens in Edge. It's one thing to have optional activities that late for anyone who wants to stay up. It's completely different to have almost-mandatory "icebreaker" activities at that time or otherwise your kid will be all but excluded from being part of a group for the rest of the cruise.
anyway, it is what it is. I'm glad it works for those for whom it works. May not work for us and we will have ot rethink if DCL is the right vacation for us.
Nothing at all is mandatory. If it doesn’t work for your child or family then don’t go. If your child is happy to go with the flow and participate in whatever is happening around them then they will probably be fine to miss it

So what I'm hearing is that Edge is a lot like middle school - boring for some, miserable for others, and everyone is just looking for those one or two people they can hang out with to survive...
I'm also hearing that the activities are cancelled a lot. Perhaps kids would have a better time and meet others if Disney actually did the posted activities.

I'm also hearing that the activities are cancelled a lot. Perhaps kids would have a better time and meet others if Disney actually did the posted activities.
It isn’t Disney (the Counselors) just cancelling them. It’s the kids not wanting to do them. In this case, they try and adapt and change what was planned so that more kids are interested

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter