Key West to Old Key West day 2

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
Monday 12th November
We were up at 4.30; I made a pot of coffee and heated up some of the cinnamon rolls while Theresa wrote up the Happy Book (our trip journal).
We had showers, took some pictures of the sun coming up from our balcony and then took a walk around the resort taking a few more photos as we went.
Floridanov2012009_zps7cc44213.jpg

Floridanov2012018_zpsc149cda3.jpg

Floridanov2012020_zps79d51320.jpg

We then checked in as we'd been too late to do it the night before.
We'd planned to go to The John Pennekamp National Park today as we knew we'd have the late start after checking in but when we got to the gate we were informed that due to the high winds the glass bottom boats wouldn't be running so we decided to drive down the keys to The Bass Pro shop at Islamorada so I could get a fishing rod license.

FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures033_zps5c060275.jpg

FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures028_zpse0be5876.jpg

Floridanov2012031_zps1afd95db.jpg

On the way we were feeling hungry so we stopped and had second breakfast at Docs Diner which is one of the places I looked at on tripadvisor. The food was delicious and the portions were massive.
FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures027_zpsd4c09a16.jpg

At Bass Pro, I bought a cheap little spinning rod and a few lures but they didn't sell rod licenses. They told me I'd be able to get one on-line or at any K-Mart so we stopped in there on the way back up. Unfortunately they couldn't as their computer was down. We bought a few bit and pieces while we were there.

We went back to the resort and had a few hours by the pool. It was weird sun bathing in temperatures in the mid-twenties knowing it was so cold, wet and miserable at home.
FloridaNov2012Theresaspictures036_zpse585d9d3.jpg

We logged into the resort Wi-Fi and we were able to update on Facebook as we planned to meet my cousin and his family in Key West the next day.
In the evening we went to a nice little restaurant called Ballyhoos. It was absolutely delicious. Theresa had blackened Mahi Mahi with prawns and dried tomatoes on top of a creamy garlic sauce. It was served with a sweat potato casserole that had cinnamon brown sugar and marshmallows on top which she said went very well with the spicy fish dish. I had the Yellowtail Snapper with lumpcrab which was nice but not as good as Theresas.
Floridanov2012070_zpsfd138d7d.jpg

As we'd not ordered a starter our server bought us a sample pot of their sausage and chicken gumbo to try with some cornbread and pretzels to dip in it. We both liked it and would like to eat here again on another trip.
While we were there I had a look at the satnav as it had given us a few weird directions during the day. It turned out the it was set to avoid toll roads which we weren't worried about using as we'd paid for the Sun Pass.
After our meal we headed back to the resort , got a few photos and then went to bed at around 8.00 as we were both worn out.

Lovely pic's , Hope you got your fishing liecence sorted in the end .

Oh, I knew that reading this trippy would make me long to go back - and it has. Lovely first day. What a pain about the fishing licence.

Two breakfasts mate, way to start a holiday :thumbsup2 I love that, in your dinner picture, you are wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt while Tee is in 3/4 trousers and a jumper :rotfl:

Looking forward to more.

Hi all
I got the license sorted on about day 4.
Joh, you know it's never warm enough for Tee.

Your report makes the Keys sound very appealing .

Glad you manage to get the rod licence fixed, albeit after a few days :)

Are you hobbits? Going in for second breakfast and all :lmao:nice one. the views look so relaxing.

Are you hobbits? Going in for second breakfast and all :lmao:nice one. the views look so relaxing.

Well the surname is Buckland and there is a place called Buckland in The Hobbit.

Been looking forward to this Tony.

What a lovely place to spend your first day - lovely views.

Looking forward to reading more

Tammy

We went back to the resort and had a few hours by the pool. It was weird sun bathing in temperatures in the mid-twenties knowing it was so cold, wet and miserable at home.

Darn that DIS auto-correct!!! Surely you typed "It was wonderful sun bathing . . . knowing it was so cold, wet and miserable at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!