Key West Resort - and purchase of groceries

seema

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Old Key West Resort later this month - having obtained a week through exchange via Interval International.

We may decide not to rent a car.

In that scenario, can one have ready access to the supermarkets. To put it another way, are there community supermarkets (eg Goodings, Albertson, Publix etc) in Disney World (Lake Buena Vista) that are accessible via Disney World transportation? Does Disney World have its own supermarkets - which in this case I would presume the groceries in these stores to be much more expensive that the community supermarkets?

There is a Gooding's supermarket at the Crossroads center, across from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard. Your best bet to get there would be take a cab. The Resort general store, has a small, but fairly decent selection of food items, but it is very pricey. We usually buy the basic items we need at the general store due to the convenience factor. Hope that helps!

Each of the DVC resorts has a store that carries the basic staples like donuts and juice etc. But I have found these to be much more expensive. There is no Disney transporatation to the local markets, although you could take a cab if you wished.
We have solved this by using wegoshop.com to order groceries delivered to our Villa. You pay the cost of the items you order plus a delivery charge. On our last trip I believe that the delivery charge was $11.
We easily saved that amount over buying at Disney.
We ordered juice, coffee, water,soda, beer, wine, fruit, cheese, crackers etc as we were on the Dining Plan and not planning to actually eat in other than breakfast.
They were very professional and it was very convenient. You are able to schedule your delivery and they guarantee a 30 minute window. They have always (4 times) been right on time.
You can order anything you want from them. You can indidcate whether you will accept substitutions are not.
We will use them again at the BWV in October
HTH

We took a cab to the Walmart Supercentre a few years back - cost more than a car rental! Now we rent a car for the day, and drive ourselves to the supercenter - from OKW drive to the Crossroads, turn right, and it's only 5 min. up the road on your right. I can take my time, get lots of cheaper groceries (and beer & wine!), and lots of Disney souvies, then drive myself back when ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter