Keeping Ukraine in our thoughts and prayers here

So Russia promised a red cross evacuation corridor from Mariupol....April Fools! Or maybe Putin thinks he's Lucy constantly pulling the football. It's insanity!

And while we bicker here about Will Smith and Chris Rock... and while I am sorting my pictures from my Disneyland Paris trip last week:

In Bucha the Russian army has slaughtered at least 300 people while they left the city on Saturday.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ukra...etreating-russians_n_62498831e4b0587dee6a97b6

I am Dutch, I have a very Dutch approach to live (it is what it is / let's continue with our lives), but this... This one triggers something. Anger, sadness, frustration. No fear, as I still do not think something will happen here. But these images... way too similar to what we have seen in wars in the Netherlands 3/4 decade ago. This one hurts.

And while we bicker here about Will Smith and Chris Rock... and while I am sorting my pictures from my Disneyland Paris trip last week:

In Bucha the Russian army has slaughtered at least 300 people while they left the city on Saturday.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ukra...etreating-russians_n_62498831e4b0587dee6a97b6

I am Dutch, I have a very Dutch approach to live (it is what it is / let's continue with our lives), but this... This one triggers something. Anger, sadness, frustration. No fear, as I still do not think something will happen here. But these images... way too similar to what we have seen in wars in the Netherlands 3/4 decade ago. This one hurts.

I read this report this morning and it made me feel ill as well. And I have been struck with the same thoughts...that it feels more upsetting this time that this is happening, being allowed to happen, as we all just go on with our daily lives.

I am upset about the news too but I understand why we don’t really react sometimes. We are pretty helpless when it comes to this brutality. I feel frustrated and angry and sad but none of that really matters. That is hard to deal with.

The videos of the Russians reselling Ukrainian goods .. laptops , tvs, clothes , food in Belarus is revolting. There’s intercepted audio of a soldier calling his wife to see what she wanted, telling her it’s all for the taking. She tells him to grab a laptop for their daughter.

The people found in Irpin and Bucha show signs of torture, rape, close range executions.

We can and should not look away. We can compel our countries and the international community to do more. 😞

I have finally heard from my friend Olena, who lives in a town in Ukraine near the border of several countries. She didn't want to be more specific as to where she was. Right now, she and her young daughter are relatively safe and in an area not yet broached by the Russians, although some days when the wind is right they can hear the shelling and there are 3-4 air raid warnings a day. She's been helping with relief efforts for the tens of thousands of refugees who have fled to her corner of the country to escape the invasion.

Her brother lives near Kyiv and she hasn't heard from him, his wife, and her two nieces since March 8th, and is desperately worried about them. She says the Russians are marching the men away in the towns they invade, never to be heard from again. Another friend of mine said to Olena that the soldiers and the Russian people at home are brainwashed, and Olena just lost it. She got very angry because, as she says, she sees and hears the stories of the refugees fleeing the atrocities. They are all true. Olena also said she blames all 140 million Russians and that they're complicit in the acts of horror. I don't know that I agree with that statement fully, but of course I cannot blame her for the way she feels, as she's living in Ukraine in constant worry and fear.

On a positive note, and in no way diminishing the bad things that have happened, I love how the Ukrainian military has more tanks now than when the war began. They keep capturing abandoned Russian tanks, refueling and rearming them, and then using them against the Russian military.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter