Just totalled our trip...

I definitely agree with OP about the money grabbing at Universal. Yes, Disney is pricey but I feel like I can find deals throughout Disney. Universal doesn't put forth the same effort as Disney but is almost charging Disney prices.
  • Souvenirs - Universal souvenirs are among the most expensive things I've ever seen for what you get. Nothing is on sale, the merchandise is the same merchandise they've had for years (I went when HP Forbidden Journey was new and I went last September 2018 and almost all the HP merchandise save for a few shirts was the same but drastically more expensive).
  • Rides - most of the rides are just reskins of other rides and overly dependent on screens. Spiderman and Transformers are the same ride. Fast and the Furious is the same ride as the Universal Hollywood's tram tour version. King Kong uses the same screen system as Fast and the Furious. The HP rides, Hulk, and Rip Ride Rockit are the most original things they have.
  • Express Pass - I don't love the Fastpass system, but I like that it is free and since I have it mastered I get great value from it. Universal charges for their pass (or free if you stay at their premium hotels) so you either get to the front on all rides or none. If everyone has an express pass, then its no different than no one having an express pass. It makes the queue times very hit or miss.
I didn't experience anyone trying to upcharge me while I was there in September. Volcano Bay was my favorite part of the trip, maybe because it was new, or because it felt more modern with the Tapu Tapu bands.

I like going to both resorts, but after my latest trip to USO, I won't be going back there until my kids are older because I don't feel the value is as great as Disney World for a week long trip.

Universal doesn't put forth the same effort as Disney but is almost charging Disney prices
That's the problem with eternally comparing the two.

But FWIW for every bit of your comment I can come up with either the same or similar about Disney.

Yes, Disney is pricey but I feel like I can find deals throughout Disney.
You can with Universal as well. If you'd like to please expand on what you mean by this comment.

Souvenirs - Universal souvenirs are among the most expensive things I've ever seen for what you get. Nothing is on sale, the merchandise is the same merchandise they've had for years (I went when HP Forbidden Journey was new and I went last September 2018 and almost all the HP merchandise save for a few shirts was the same but drastically more expensive).
Have you taken a look at the souvenir pricing of Disney? Also enough people feel like the quality of Disney souvenirs has lowered over the years and the pricing gone way too high.

Rides - most of the rides are just reskins of other rides and overly dependent on screens. Spiderman and Transformers are the same ride. Fast and the Furious is the same ride as the Universal Hollywood's tram tour version. King Kong uses the same screen system as Fast and the Furious. The HP rides, Hulk, and Rip Ride Rockit are the most original things they have.
I'll give you screens because I dislike that about USO. But your comment towards reskins is strange given you can say the same thing about WDW and DLR. They def. have copies of each other (sometimes with slight variations), heck anyone think of ToT is now Guardians of the Galaxy at DLR? Disney has done this to multiple rides.

Express Pass - I don't love the Fastpass system, but I like that it is free and since I have it mastered I get great value from it. Universal charges for their pass (or free if you stay at their premium hotels) so you either get to the front on all rides or none. If everyone has an express pass, then its no different than no one having an express pass. It makes the queue times very hit or miss.
I don't like paying for EP either but don't forget that CL Access can buy at the tune of $150 pp (as it's $50 per day with a 3 day minimum) 3 additional FPs. People also are rightfully concerned that Disney may one day restrict the number of FPs included in tickets based on what resort you are staying at, even going so far as to remove the included aspect. Not to mention that while I love that FP comes with my ticket Disney does restrict me to 3 pre-booked with tiers in play. EP is different than FP; they function differently. EP comes in once through or unlimited. Disney doesn't offer something like that at all. You can only get FP if it's available.

I don't feel the value is as great as Disney World for a week long trip.
That's a fair statement and I don't think anyone can negate that.

"Value" is like beauty..its in the eye of the beholder. As far as actual cost, u can do a week vac at uso for about half the cost of wdw. Both uso and wdw target different type of guests so u will always have this debate.

I mean, if you think about it, Divided 4 ways that is $2238.15 each or about $320/day per person.
That's a huge per-day cost!
$1,170 for one day at Universal! Yikes! Is a 2 day hopper there really almost $300?
I wish it were realistically possible to spend a week in Orlando ... 4 park days at Disney and 2 at Universal, but those short-ticket Universal prices are just outrageous.

We just did a comparable trip-4 of us: 46, 45, 21, 19. 7 night at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Park Tickets: 2592 for Gold AP's. We bridged discount tickets from UT and used Disney gift cards bought at 10% off to pay the difference. Total cash cost:$2227. We'll make 2 more trips on the tickets at least.
Universal tickets-0
Rental Car-used Magical express
Airport parking-$63
Airfare from Louisville-$836
Resort-0-DVC
Park spending-food/$900-took $1000 in gift cards bought at 10% off.
Shipt food delivery/Uber/Offsite dining-$200
RunDisney race entries-$500

Total cost: $4726, plus we have passes to enter the parks through mid Dec.

The resort $0? Not sure what annual maint fees are these days, my brother said his were like $1600

I wish it were realistically possible to spend a week in Orlando ... 4 park days at Disney and 2 at Universal, but those short-ticket Universal prices are just outrageous.

I cant justify the USO expense, but next trip we will upgrade to Deluxe and need a second room, my DW can room with middle daughter (21) and son (20) again - not relaxing with 4 in a room...

Sure, but that is including things like food and souvenirs, so if each person spends $100/day on food and $50/day on souvenirs and other incidentals...that leaves only $170 for hotel, park tickets and other fees. While some people may be able to do it cheaper with points and credit cards and other incidental and opportunity dependent savings, I'd say that is a pretty good and realistic cost estimate.

I will have to disagree on Universal. We became passholder- around $350 for the preferred I think when I bought it. With that AP I get at least 10%off all sit down meals. Hard Rock is more. I get huge hotel discounts.

And I have met the nicest people there. I have never been run over by a stroller or a mobility scooter at Universal(have at Disney) the cast members are so funny. Check out some of the grinch interactions from this past Christmas.

Different strokes for different folks.

I obviously love Disney too- but I think they each do different things better.

I love both Universal and WDW. I understand why the companies treat their business as a competition, but it's so strange to me that guests argue about it? Go to whichever you enjoy!

We also love both Universal and WDW. Our annual trip always consist of both parks. We always get the buy 4 get 1 day free (5) for wdw for $1,185 and the buy 2 get 2 days free (4) for universal for $660. We go to wdw the week of xmas and then universal the week of new years. These are the prices i paid for this years 2019 trip and i know the cost will increase when i buy our 2020 tickets. Also, for those who visit both parks, UT sometimes offers what they call a combo discount. Basically, if u buy wdw and universal tickets at the same time from UT, they give u an additional $5 - $10 off each ticket. Not a huge savings but every little bit helps.

Last edited:
4 People (49,47,21,20) at CBR 7 nights. 2 days at USO. Did 6 day hoppers as well(we never went back to Universal for second day). Flew SWA from DFW and Rented a car.

Park Tickets $2262.80
Universal Tickets $1171.48
Rental Car $350.83
Parking at Airport $95.83
Airfare - $995.88
Resort $1670.89
Food, Souv., Misc. $2404.89
Total $8952.60

Not Sure how many can afford this, but they charge what the market allows them to. TBH we did play it loose with the magic bands, we ate and drank (adult beverages) as we desired. Nominal souvenirs.

That food/souv/misc category is really high. It sounds like you enjoyed the heck out of the trip, so it was money well spent.

I'll throw my two cents in re affordability. We used to live in Florida and Florida residents have it sooooo good. Annual passes with modest blockout dates cost something akin to a 3-4 day ticket. Sheesh. Hotel discounts abound. We had a number of weekend trips where we left for WDW at 6:00am on Saturday morning and took off for home at 9:30pm on Sunday night. The total cost was always outrageously small as we'd only pay for one discounted night in a hotel and amortize the annual pass prices over the course of five or six weekend trips, plus one longer trip during the year.

Well, now we live in Michigan and driving down for the day literally isn't an option. So we find our efficiency in a few ways:
  1. Transportation efficiency.
  2. Buy DVC resale.
  3. Longer trips.
  4. Minimizing table service meals and loading up on groceries.
None of this is particularly unique or world shattering. But the efficiency shows up in a big way.

We fly to MCO to take Magical Express. I tracked flights and booked our Southwest flights the moment they went on sale. We get rides to and from the airport at home in Grand Rapids, MI, so there's no parking to be paid. We don't rent a car.

Our next trip will be a 12-night, 13-day visit in late-March/early-April. We're staying at the Poly in a studio for the whole trip. There is implicit efficiency here: we'll take a bus to and from the AK three times on our trip, and that'll be slow, though driving is slow too. Otherwise, we'll be exclusively traveling via boat, monorail, and foot. This is (i) exponentially more fun than driving, (ii) substantially cheaper than driving, and (iii) incomparably more magical than driving like I do every day. For example, we take the EPCOT monorail when we go to DHS, walking through EPCOT and by the EPCOT resorts to get to DHS. It's one of our favorite activities and negates the need for a car.

(I've stayed a multiple values, all of the moderates, and most of the deluxes. The value of staying somewhere that provides primarily boat, monorail, and food transit is so significant I can barely stand it. It makes the trip feel so different. I always told my wife that my favorite trips were the ones where we drove to WDW, parked the car at the hotel...and then I forgot where the car was when it was time to go because I was so fully immersed in the trip and we never drove.)

We also bought UK tickets as they provided a larger number of days (14) and include Memory Maker. I'm not willing to pay $170 for MM...but $0? Yeah, that'll work.

We rarely buy souvenirs in the parks, but I budgeted a nominal amount in case we made a splurge or two. It's unlikely, but better safe than sorry.

Finally, food. We have a few reserved meals (BOG, Tusker House, Sci-Fi), but for the most part, we eat in the room and at quick service spots. It's much more fun to play in the parks and pools than it is to spend two hours in a restaurant. As a result, we eat healthier and cheaper meals. We'll bring at least one and possibly two suitcases of groceries in addition to using Prime Now for a delivery of perishables. A few hours of planning will save many hundreds of dollars. Nevertheless, I include some wiggle room in the food budget in case a snack or 10 jumps out at us and we decide on an extra table service meal or two.

The end result:

Transportation: $1,567.84 (four round-trip tickets from Grand Rapids, MI to MCO)
Lodging: $2,619.24 (includes amortized portion of upfront purchase price and annual dues)
Tickets: $2,085.00
Memory Maker: $0
Souvenirs: $150.00
Food: $1,100.00

TOTAL: $7,522.08

Look, that's still an immense amount of money. At least I think it is. But for our 13 days - we'll get to MCO at 1:00pm on arrival day and fly out at 6:00pm on departure day - that's $578.62 per day. Divided by our four people, it's $144.66 per person per day. Sure, that's a lot more than we spend per person per day at home, but it's not astronomical for a big annual vacation, if that's a significant priority.

That's what I thought too! Perhaps a mistype? Meant UT instead? Anyway, awesome planning and I like your efficiencies!

That's what I thought too! Perhaps a mistype? Meant UT instead? Anyway, awesome planning and I like your efficiencies!

Never mind, I thread stalked Rob Huff, and he did mean UK tickets. If you thread stalk him too you can read about how he did it.
(Is that a new term, thread stalk?)

Never mind, I thread stalked Rob Huff, and he did mean UK tickets. If you thread stalk him too you can read about how he did it.
(Is that a new term, thread stalk?)

I don't know if "thread stalk" is a new term or not. Regardless, it's in the lexicon now because that idea is genius.

The simple answer to how I did it: I have a childhood friend who lives and works in London. She purchased the tickets and I sent her a transfer for the amount of the tickets plus her shipping fee (plus a hair extra as a thank you). We came out way ahead compared to the tickets available in the US.

It took about two months for the whole process to go through as the vendor was very slow, but we were far enough ahead of schedule that it wasn't a problem.

I will never not have a car. We have decided not to do USO for the foreseeable future, but even not making that drive I wont be without a car. To be able to get back to resort for nap in literally :05 from any park is worth it. Also, we ran to Walmart to get a few items as well. Its just part of the costs, I will keep in the budget and put off the trip until I can pay for it.

I'm a bean counter who does the math and doesn't want to do buses. I looked at rental car, parking, and gas and compared that to uber/lyft rides for all the traveling I anticipated (I have relatives in the area, so may do more meet ups other than parks than lots of people do). Anyway the rental car in my calculations came out less expensive than uber/lyft. Uber/lyft, though is a game changer and makes not driving a viable option economically even offsite.

Just letting you know OP that in my calculations a car is still a savvy way to go financially. Qualification too: I almost always stay offsite for a better value on accommodations.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter