Just Returned-The Good, The Bad, and The Yummy (Long)

You had me giggling ;) Thanks so much! I can't believe you put up with that 11 yo all week - I'd be half tempted to send him on a plane back home by day 2. You're a stronger person then myself.

We love Fultons, too, but we do love seafood as well. I always wonder why it gets such bad reviews, too. YUM!

Great reviews...they had me laughing!
So out of curiousity...do you always take your nephews? Sounds like you really kept your cool. Children are hard when they are your own so I cannot imagine taking my nieces or nephews with us on a vacation (duct taped paddle indeed)

Thanks for the fun reviews!

DS9 is a little picky, but as I was sitting here thinking about it he really did eat more than JUST mac & cheese at WDW. Mostly mac & cheese, but he did have cheese pizza, cheeseburgers and fries, pancakes (that were completely flavorless), Hostess mini muffins that we brought from home, and probably a few other items from the buffet at Donald's breakfast like eggs and bacon.

We were only there for 4 days so I didn't fight with him too mucha bout food. When we go for 8 days in October I am going to have to be more strict about requiring fruits and veggies or he will feel terrible by the time we get home.

I can't imagine taking someone else's children on vacation - good for you and DH for being so nice!!

tigerlilly said:
Great reviews...they had me laughing!
So out of curiousity...do you always take your nephews? Sounds like you really kept your cool. Children are hard when they are your own so I cannot imagine taking my nieces or nephews with us on a vacation (duct taped paddle indeed)

We've taken them on the past two trips. I know that seems strange, but my husband basically raised them. They've never lived with their mother or father, only with my mother-in-law. Last time starving the youngest out really seemed to work, but this time he literally ate about two tablespoons per day. Next time I think we'll be going alone. It's just too expensive not to enjoy it. Plus, I think they would have been happier in a swimming pool with lightsabers from Wal-mart! :earboy2:

Oh how I enjoyed the tales of two Nephews! My situation is quite tricky also. The only items on My 17 yr. old DD's menu are Fettuchini Alfredo w/Fries, Fish & Chips (errr, I mean fries), Chicken Strips and Fries and SHOCKER....Plain WELL DONE steak with Fries, and when I say plain, I mean plain. No weird spice, rub, marinade, sauce, pepper etc. My 7 yr. old DS hates Peanut Butter and anything Cheesy. Would rather have a bowl of frozen peas and I'm not kidding you. It's actually his side dish sometimes (I know, strange child), and my husband hates pasta! A real meat and potato Fred Flintstone type. It's quite a challenge for this Sushi loving girl to actually get something appealing to eat on vacation, sheesh!

Kudos for you for surviving such a trying situation without leaving blood on the walls. I have a few nephews like that, and I can't imagine trying to take them anyplace where they required food--when I got back, I would have to go straight to the hospital from the airport to get an immediate tubal ligation...
:teeth:

Personally, if it were me, I would never take Dear Nephew 11-years-old anywhere with me again. Period. That's just ridiculous. Sounds like you are a very gracious and generous couple.

Great reviews.....thanks! Loved reading about your nephews. I have to say, I think the fries at WDW are awful!!! I don't think I have ever had really good fries or pizza at the World. Anyway...very funny! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

lonegungirl said:
Kudos for you for surviving such a trying situation without leaving blood on the walls.

Boy, she said it!!!!!!!!! I hope that someday that kid has the good grace to be highly embarrassed about what he put the two of you through when you were spending thousands of dollars to show him and his brother a good time.

Thanks for your great reviews.

thank you so much for the review. I was LOL for the whole thing. Not just because it was comical but because I have 3 kids, ages 11, 11 (yes twins) and 10. They are the 3 most different eaters ever. My DS (11) will eat or at least try (and usually eat) just about any kind of food that you put in front of him and then ask for more. His twin sister on the other hand will eat spaghetti by the bucket loads (actually any kind of pasta but spaghetti is her most favorite) but don't ask her to eat anything that isn't a pasta, a hot dog or french fries because it is just not worth the fight. My DD who is 10 is kind of in the middle. She knows what she likes and prefers not to try new things, unless it is her idea to try it or if it comes with ketchup. For her we buy ketchup in the extra large Heinz size bottles. So a week with them eating at WDW is always a treat. :flower:

:rotfl: OMG! Great review - You had me rollin' Especially your picky eater. My Godson is one of those & by the end of a week with that, a paddle looks real good.....

. Plus, I think they would have been happier in a swimming pool with lightsabers from Wal-mart!

This is sooo true. I don't think my boys care where we go as long as it has a swimming pool. My boys only want to eat mayonaise sandwiches right now. :sad2:

I was laughing at the original post! :rotfl:

My son was VERY picky for several years. He went through this spell in the first grade where all the child would eat was plain hamburger helper! :rolleyes2 He wouldn't even try the other flavors. At one point, my hubby said, "If I have to eat hamburger helper another night, I may scream!" :crazy: Then I found out the teacher started the morning every day by having them all tell what they had for diner the night before! :crazy2: I sent her an email saying: hey, I can cook other things, he just won't eat anything else!!! Anyway, he is 14 now and eats everything in sight and large amounts of it!

But, back to The Nephews! My first thought was: why on earth would you take 2 kids that age to WDW that are not your own?!?!! Parents have trouble enjoying their own boys this age!!!! :goodvibes But I do think it is great that you took them. And I bet if you ask them now (or a month out) they will tell you that had a great trip and neither of them remember the food issues! To them it wasn't an issue...sometimes kids just have meltdowns! It sounds like you handled it well.

You are really nice to take them. My niece (9) eats sausage, mac & cheese, pizza and chicken nuggets (and only McDonalds nuggets if they are out somewhere) and a few fruits. That's it. My older kids (7 & 10) can't understand it. Even my youngest (1) eats a wide variety of foods.

The rule in our house is that you can't say you don't like something if you haven't tried it. So, they have to have at least one bite when we have something new. You would be surprised at how many times that one bite turns into a full sized portion.

That was probably the funniest post that I've read so far. Submit your names for sainthood. :rotfl2:

ashresiren said:
Sunshine Seasons
Okay, this was a complete and total NIGHTMARE. Nephew (11) took one look at the menu, saw there were no french fries, and launched into an hour-long bawl and pout.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm laughing because I'm a 28 year old woman who went here with the intent of a quick bite, saw there were no fries or pizza, denounced it as icky health food and proceeded to Electric Umbrella where I ordered chicken fingers, fries and a cookie.

Thank goodness for more than one quick serve place at Epcot!

Thanks for sharing- these reviews always make me want to try someplace that I had decide NOT to try before!! LOL :rotfl:

P.S. Do you think my family can take your 11 year old nephew in December?? He sounds like LOADS of fun :rotfl2:

The first time we went to WDW, my two boys who were 3 1/2 and almost 6 at the time ate pizza, chicken fingers, french fries at lunches and dinners and bacon, pancakes/waffles, and cereal for breakfast. That was just about it. They're now 19 and 21 and eat a much larger variety, but you know what, french fries and pizza are still mainstays of their college diets. And my 21 year old still eats no fruit of any kind. I always said they wouldn't whither up and blow away if they missed a couple of meals and I wasn't going to sweat it if they didn't want to eat. One thing we didn't allow was a child to make a scene over it anywhere. They had to sit there quietly while we ate whether they ate or not. My DH and I are going to WDW this fall while the boys are at school and we're looking forward to trying some new places knowing we'll eat what's on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts