just returned from disney… very disappointed… not sure when we will go back

When I checked in at Kidani in October on DVC points, The trash bin was overflowing from the previous guest. When I called the front desk to let them know, they didn't believe me and wanted to charge me an extra towel and trash service. I had only been there a few hours. I was irritated. We spent a lot of time at the front desk for a variety of reasons and the cms were not trained well for the next generation changes.

I have to have seen a trend in the last few years toward more frazzled CMs. I just assumed Disney has made budget cuts and there are less CMs. But I don't know. They are definitely not as well trained.

I've been to disney 5 times over my lifetime.. 3 in the past 4 years. It seems every trip just keeps going downhill. This was our first time staying at a disney resort. I did think our resort was beautiful (we stayed at a deluxe resort), but had some major hiccups. IT was very busy when we checked in… While I was waiting in my checkin line, i was passed up twice by other families who were checked in before me… but behind me in line. Not sure if the person with the iPad didn't realize i was not in the party, but still it was a bit aggravating. The person who checked me in was very nice, but seemed clueless about what she was doing. we kept having to wait for someone to come and help her. I don't blame her, she was doing her best, but if she was in training or something, why didn't they have someone training her? When we got to our room it was very nice, not exactly what I had requested, but I realize disney can't make all of our request happen if any. either way i was really happy with our room. My parents were in a room next to us. When my mom opened her bedside drawer for the first time, she found a dirty (poopy) diaper in the drawer. We did bring it to the attention to a housekeeper who took care of it… but obviously the room was not cleaned very well. While I was waiting in my checkin line, i was passed up twice by other families who were checked in before me… but behind me in line. Not sure if the person with the iPad didn't realize i was not in the party, but still it was a bit aggravating. Our first full day at the parks we had an early morning breakfast. We were told that the boats would be running by a certain time and we could take it to magic kingdom. While I was waiting in my checkin line, i was passed up twice by other families who were checked in before me… but behind me in line. Not sure if the person with the iPad didn't realize i was not in the party, but still it was a bit aggravating. So we chose to take a boat. However no boat ever came. Luckily the person driving the resort boat noticed us still waiting on her second time around… and this and must have felt bad for us. she took us over to the contemporary so we could walk over to entrance of magic kingdom. I was very grateful for her… she said she didn't know what was going on with the other boat. I don't blame her, she was doing her best, but if she was in training or something, why didn't they have someone training her? When we got to our room it was very nice, not exactly what I had requested, but I realize disney can't make all of our request happen if any. either way i was really happy with our room. Overall i was really surprised with how many cast members seemed unhappy. They did not have the typical "disney spirit" I cannot say that for everyone… we did encounter cast members who were wonderful. I don't want it to seem like everyone was unhappy and miserable… but we did have quite a few run ins with people who obviously did not want to be there. I know everyone has a bad day… but this was a lot of people. I have always preferred disney parks over other orlando parks, because of the people who work on disney property. I didn't get the same feeling this time. Numerous times when we were at restaurants… our waitresses didn't even come back and fill up our water glass?? We were basically ignored for most of our meal. Pretty sure my dad even got food poisoning from one of the restaurants we ate at…. it was bad and he spent an entire day in his hotel room very sick.. I purchased photo pass plus for the 3rd time.. probably won't again. I know everyone has a bad day… but this was a lot of people. I have always preferred disney parks over other orlando parks, because of the people who work on disney property. I took much better pictures than the photo pass people. a lot of them are horrible! They are pictures taken from the side and not even centered. I don't know how they are training the photo pass people… but they are not photographers. I have always preferred disney parks over other orlando parks, because of the people who work on disney property. I didn't get the same feeling this time. Numerous times when we were at restaurants… our waitresses didn't even come back and fill up our water glass?? We were basically ignored for most of our meal.Ive normally had really good photos with photo pass… but this time was totally different. Probably was upset me the most was our disney magical express. the day before check out i received a notice for our magical express pick up time and instructions. everything was set and appeared normal. the morning of check out i received another lettering stating that due to system requirements disney would not be checking us into the airport and i would need to transport all of our luggage on the magic express bus with us. normally i probably wouldn't be too upset by this… but i am pregnant in my third trimester and traveling with a two and four year old and my husband. (we have five large bags including the carseats which were were checking)… We had a lot of luggage including two giant carseats. I was seriously very happy about not having to take the luggage around with us… so finding out that we would be bring our luggage with us was disappointing. I was also told their would be a curbside check in right when we got off the magical express.. which wasn't true because the curbside check in is on the third floor of the airport, by the normal checkin. i tired to figure out why this happened and see if they anything could be changed given our situation… and i got a different story every time… basically told they couldn't do anything… the magical express driver told me.. sometime disney just simply doesn't have room to transport everyones luggage so the just have to say no to some people. Im not sure what the true reason was, but the fact that disney made no effort to help us with this situation was very disappointing. I just expect more. if you are actually reading this, please know I'm not a person to complain all the time. i tired to figure out why this happened and see if they anything could be changed given our situation… and i got a different story every time… basically told they couldn't do anything… the magical express driver told me.. Im just very upset by our last trip. I love disney. I love taking my kids to disney. the look on their faces when they go on their favorite rides or meet their fav. characters is priceless. And not everything about our trip was horrible…. i was just really disappointed. about a lot of things. I feel like every year we go… disney is just downgraded a little more. We had a lot of luggage including two giant carseats. I was seriously very happy about not having to take the luggage around with us… so finding out that we would be bring our luggage with us was disappointing. I was also told their would be a curbside check in right when we got off the magical express.. which wasn't true because the curbside check in is on the third floor of the airport, by the normal checkin. Its such a machine and so scheduled and i see the people working their more and more unhappy. Watching the disney promo video on the way to the airport, which is all about the exceptional disney service and experience… all i was thinking about was how this was the first time i was every happy to leave a place that was sunny and 84 outside to go to back home to 19 degree cold weather.

I'm so sorry that your trip this time wasn't so magical. I hope on your next visit will be more a pleasant memory to cherish. One thing that steers me from going back is more so of the cost. It's getting way to expensive for my taste and going to the parks can be a nightmare! I might even stay off site just so I can save money to buy our park tickets.

To the OP sorry about the cruddy things that happened on your trip.

On our last trip I definitely noticed grouchy CMs, including at the front desk. Honestly, they look totally burnt out on trying to problem solve all of this MB stuff.

Housekeeping varies widely IME from resort to resort, both on quality and courtesy.

I dont think Disney is worse than most companies in terms of customer service, but they arent any better anymore. The only CMs who were consistently super nice were the waiters/waitresses.

Final note….. I didn't create the standard/expectations for disney…. disney itself advertises it exceptional experience and high standards. I can let issues/problems go….no trip is perfect and i wouldn't want to ruin my own vacation by being unhappy. however this trip we had multiple issues (many of which I did not write about). I don't blame the cm's for being unhappy…I often saw guest treating them awful. i myself work with the public and know how it can be, but i don't take my frustrations out on everyone around me. overall i feel something is obviously going on with the company to have so many employees seem miserable. (again, i did encounter some very helpful/kind/amazing cm's, but the majority did not fit this description) Something just seemed very off for disney world on this trip. I'm sure we will be back at some point. right now, i just don't have a desire to go. Im looking at maybe doing a disney cruise (because I've heard so many wonderful things about them and it seems a little more relaxed, which is probably better for my family at this point) thanks for all of your comments! (oh and we did use the magic bands and fast pass plus, i thought both were really nice)

I think your posts have sounded very reasonable and I appreciate reading your feedback. Thanks.

Wow.....I don't know what bothers me more about this thread--the OP's issues, or the snarky, rude comments by other posters on grammar and content (expressing any displeasure with a less than wonderful visit).

Having gone to do Disney 30+times over the last 20 years, it has become noticeable that the cost of visits has gone way up and the uniqueness/quality of the experience has degraded. And even adjusting one's expectations will not always make one feel better about the issues that come up. And that assumes that one MUST adjust their expectations when they are seasoned Disney travelers who are already familiar with the product offered.

Anyway, sorry to the OP that your visit didn't work out. Hope your next vacation--wherever it is--is better.

In August we stayed at DDT Hilton with a car, with an annual pass (so parking was free) enjoyed it as much as staying on site. I did not miss the busses at all. Still got to ride the boats. Service at the Hilton was excellent. I felt like I should be on site but just cannot deal with the confusion of the check in at the resorts and the mixed information from the CM's any more. I really do hope they get this sorted out for the company quickly. I think they are getting too big, should scale back some, lighten up on the advertising a little and focus more on guest experience.

This was our first time staying at a disney resort. I did think our resort was beautiful (we stayed at a deluxe resort), but had some major hiccups.
It's worth pointing out that "Deluxe" doesn't really mean the same thing at WDW that it means almost anywhere else. The Disney "deluxe" resorts are perhaps a bit below the quality and service level of an upper-end business-class hotel. For example, I'd put them a bit below the Westin line, but possibly comparable to the average Marriott. Perfectly serviceable, generally competent, but nothing special.

Wow.....I don't know what bothers me more about this thread--the OP's issues, or the snarky, rude comments by other posters on grammar and content (expressing any displeasure with a less than wonderful visit).

Having gone to do Disney 30+times over the last 20 years, it has become noticeable that the cost of visits has gone way up and the uniqueness/quality of the experience has degraded. And even adjusting one's expectations will not always make one feel better about the issues that come up. And that assumes that one MUST adjust their expectations when they are seasoned Disney travelers who are already familiar with the product offered.

Anyway, sorry to the OP that your visit didn't work out. Hope your next vacation--wherever it is--is better.
Most people have been sympathetic.

It just makes the post harder to read when it's a solid wall of text. If DebbieB hadn't broken it up into paragraphs, I wouldn't have read the post. The OP had some good info in there, so it's a shame if people have a hard time reading it. :confused3

At least it wasn't full of text speak though.

... Probably was upset me the most was our disney magical express. the day before check out i received a notice for our magical express pick up time and instructions. everything was set and appeared normal. the morning of check out i received another lettering stating that due to system requirements disney would not be checking us into the airport and i would need to transport all of our luggage on the magic express bus with us. normally i probably wouldn't be too upset by this… but i am pregnant in my third trimester and traveling with a two and four year old and my husband. (we have five large bags including the carseats which were were checking)… We had a lot of luggage including two giant carseats. I was seriously very happy about not having to take the luggage around with us… so finding out that we would be bring our luggage with us was disappointing. I was also told their would be a curbside check in right when we got off the magical express.. which wasn't true because the curbside check in is on the third floor of the airport, by the normal checkin. i tired to figure out why this happened and see if they anything could be changed given our situation… and i got a different story every time… basically told they couldn't do anything… the magical express driver told me.. sometime disney just simply doesn't have room to transport everyones luggage so the just have to say no to some people. Im not sure what the true reason was, but the fact that disney made no effort to help us with this situation was very disappointing. I just expect more.
Not sure what more Disney could have done, and I don't see anything about your "situation" that makes you more or less needy than any other group visiting Disney. Just curious, in addition to the 5 'large' suitcases and 2 'giant' child car seats did you have strollers to be gate checked? Was this luggage for your family and your inlaws, or just for you, hubby and the 2 & 4 yr. old?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=944813
Here is the thread relating to RAC rules, was your 2 yr. old a 'lap child' for flying and were you on Jetblue, if so the airline requires you to check your bags at the airport and not offsite. Or where you flying w/ an airline that does not have an agreement w/ RAC? If so, again Disney can't help you. Likewise if you were flagged by TSA for no remote check in, Disney can't do anything about that.
Disney has people in place to 'help' you w/ your luggage, you push the bell services button on your room phone and arrange for them to come pick up your luggage in your room on your departure day, then they hold it for you while you wait for your DME bus or they bring it out to you while you wait for the DME bus. It's never as easy leaving w/ your luggage as it is when you arrive and your luggage just 'appears' in your room.
Even if you use RAC when you leave you still need to get your luggage from your room down to the line for the RAC desk along w/ all adults well before the 1 pm deadline and more than 3 hrs. before your flight.
Hopefully, next time you'll be more familiar w/ the whole luggage check in/DME procedure/airport layout, etc. and not have any surprises.

Chimommy - I still think your disappointment is warranted. I'm surprised at how many people want to just pick apart everything you said in an effort to defend Disney.

I think we've established that WDW does its best to market themselves as a magical place. Like no other place in the world. They want us to have what amount to unrealistic expectations. The point is, these expectations were not really anywhere near as unrealistic 15 or 10 or even 5 years ago - in my opinion.

I can guarantee that if I had the exact same experiences that you did, I too would be disappointed. That doesn't make me (or you) a chronic complainer or an unrealistic Disney hater or someone who will never visit again. It makes us human.

Sorry thought my post didnt post.... So I posted again... This was basically a repeat of my post below....

And Once again.... thanks for the comments. I wish I didn't feel so disappointed about this past trip. Just wanted to know if others had felt a change in disney and vent about a few of my issues.

Thanks for your information.

No I was not flying with a lap child (pretty sure they have to be under two to be a lap, but either way I always get my kids seats) and no I was not gate checking carseats or strollers. My carseats were included as part of my 5 bags of luggage.

The paperwork disney sent me stated that the airline we were using (no i did not fly jetblue) allowed us to check our bags at the resort and "completely bypass airport check in." Maybe I missed the part about being subject to security checks and system updates. I was told many things by many different people so I'm not sure what the true reason was for not being able to use the resort check in. Other memebers of our family using the same airline were able to use the resort check in.

We also received a letter the day before check out stating out pick up time and the information about checking our bags at the resort. This was a last min change they made the morning of our departure. And no i did not wait till they last min to try and check my bags. I wish I had been given more of an advanced notice so I could have made arrangements for a car to pick us up.

I did not make a huge fit about this when it happened. Just accepted it and went about our business after being told nothing could be done. But in my opinion disney told me they would provide me with a service and they did not. It was disappointing. I think disney was very smart to come up with the magical express... Not having to deal with bags at the airport when you are traveling with small kids (or even without) is a great benefit.... One that was very helpful during our arrival.

OP, Sorry that your visit to WDW was disappointing! I know how you feel - when you are lead to expect a service that isn't provided and no reason given, it IS upsetting.

It seems to be evident, IME, that every vacation to WDW sees a further slip away from the quality vacation that we used to be able to rely upon. It is so very sad.

As a PP said, Disney service, which used to be of such a high standard, is no longer any better than you will receive anywhere else. However, Disney does raise high expectations for superior service in their marketing. Also, in the past, Disney set the bar high for themselves with respect to customer service and a quality vacation product. Today, they are missing the mark.

When consumer expectations are high, disappointments are felt much more keenly by contrast.

I hope that your next vacation meets and exceeds your expectations.

I think the dirty diaper thing sticks out for me the most apart from the bad CM attitudes. If they didn't clean that up, who even knows what else they didn't clean :sick: Obviously you can manage your expectations and I don't care if a Disney deluxe is not a true "deluxe", you're paying so much that it should at least be clean. That's the bare minimum of what an experience at that price point should be.

That said I think like a PP said, this new NextGen stuff is really running CMs ragged and that's not to say I wouldn't be annoyed too, but I can understand it. Anyway I'm sorry to hear you had a less than stellar experience this time. We're personally giving it a couple of years to see if Disney can get things back on track and we're using that time to see other places. I hope your next trip is more magical! :wizard:

I think that relaxed Disney vacations ended sometime around the year 2000. It is still fun but now I say it is not relaxed and stress free.

Thanks for your information.

No I was not flying with a lap child (pretty sure they have to be under two to be a lap, but either way I always get my kids seats) and no I was not gate checking carseats or strollers. My carseats were included as part of my 5 bags of luggage.

The paperwork disney sent me stated that the airline we were using (no i did not fly jetblue) allowed us to check our bags at the resort and "completely bypass airport check in." Maybe I missed the part about being subject to security checks and system updates. I was told many things by many different people so I'm not sure what the true reason was for not being able to use the resort check in. Other memebers of our family using the same airline were able to use the resort check in.

We also received a letter the day before check out stating out pick up time and the information about checking our bags at the resort. This was a last min change they made the morning of our departure. And no i did not wait till they last min to try and check my bags. I wish I had been given more of an advanced notice so I could have made arrangements for a car to pick us up.

I did not make a huge fit about this when it happened. Just accepted it and went about our business after being told nothing could be done. But in my opinion disney told me they would provide me with a service and they did not. It was disappointing. I think disney was very smart to come up with the magical express... Not having to deal with bags at the airport when you are traveling with small kids (or even without) is a great benefit.... One that was very helpful during our arrival.

If it was a case where the airline's system refused remote check-in, there is no way Disney would have known that in advance. That's out of their control. I would have asked the airline when you checked in for an explanation.

What person even thinks of putting a dirty diaper in a drawer? That's what puzzles me the most. Some guest thought that would be a good idea.

I know... It was really gross!!!! Maybe a kid did it? I have no idea... But was really shocked by it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter