just returned from disney… very disappointed… not sure when we will go back

I also agree with VP and mousemommy, the more you go it does fizzle a bit. I have had two terrible trips in a row 2008 & 2009. The first one 2008 my mom came along never again will I go with family. It was miserable but that wasn't Disney's fault. 2009 we had financial issues but decided we worked hard all year and we would still go. I think I had a touch of depression about said financial issues because I was miserable that trip thinking about the money we spent that I could have put toward something more important instead of relaxing and enjoying our vacation. 2009 trip hated the crowds felt ripped off hated rude pushy guests. Miserable!!! Once again not Disney's fault, my attitude sucked and I was miserable so every thing around me was miserable. But 2010 we became DVC and financial issues are gone and I have had 5 awesome wonderful trips since then. I really think it is attitude and where you are in your life.

I wanted to add - I was not meaning this statement towards the OP. Thank you!!!

Sorry this happened to you. I too find that when we go often, I notice things going downhill. One time we were leaving dinner at Poly on our way to MNSSHP and the boats all stopped. Needless to say the line for the monorail was looong! Another time the boats stopped at Downtown and we had to trudge through the rain to the bus!! Alas, we still go back....:lovestruc

Sorry this happened to you. I too find that when we go often, I notice things going downhill. One time we were leaving dinner at Poly on our way to MNSSHP and the boats all stopped. Needless to say the line for the monorail was looong! Another time the boats stopped at Downtown and we had to trudge through the rain to the bus!! Alas, we still go back....:lovestruc

I totally agree I think the more you go the less magical the place becomes. It was fun being an AP holder for a couple of years, but the last couple of trips were just meh.

The worst part about going to Disney now is the other guest. Disney needs to make a movie to help teach people some manners. Ater 2 trips this year, the wife and I will be taking a break from Disney after 6 trips in 6 years.

we went in mid November,and had a wonderful trip. That said,we encountered an incredibly rude,bad awful cm. I wish now that I had gone over and gotten his name and reported his sorry stinkin' behavior.....
AT Mk during a fireworks show, he stood behind our particular group of maybe 50 people watching (off Main st,near a fence) SCREAMING loudly EXIT HERE EXIT HERE EXIT HERE every 30 seconds for the entire show. I am not exaggerating, we all wanted to take him down with a tranq. dart. When I looked back at him,he just looked at me,smirked,and continued to SCREAM. Louder than the show,louder than all other noises,fireworks,crowds,music put together. He was doing it to be a jerk. Oh I wish I had bothered to get that name....because I still feel that in general, Disney doesn't like to hear of their cm's behaving badly,and I am sure he would have been dealt with.

The worst part about going to Disney now is the other guest. Disney needs to make a movie to help teach people some manners. Ater 2 trips this year, the wife and I will be taking a break from Disney after 6 trips in 6 years.

Boy do I feel you on this. I'm not seriously saying people need to be taught how to behave, but entitlement attitude and behavior has increased. A few days into our Thanksgiving week trip I ended up at urgent care and had to finish the rest of our trip in a wheel chair and crutches. Even my very laid back, well mannered adult son was losing his patience with other guests and actually started to vocalize it by the end of the trip. It was incredible how rude people were as we were trying to maneuver our way through the parks, restaurants and our resort. This put a whole new light on the way we look at things and behavior that we tried to ignore in the past was quickly thrown in our face. Now, I'm not saying everyone has bad manners, but it surprises me how many people DO.

Boy do I feel you on this. I'm not seriously saying people need to be taught how to behave, but entitlement attitude and behavior has increased. A few days into our Thanksgiving week trip I ended up at urgent care and had to finish the rest of our trip in a wheel chair and crutches.

Ouch hope you are better now was you pushed or something?

Even my very laid back, well mannered adult son was losing his patience with other guests and actually started to vocalize it by the end of the trip. It was incredible how rude people were as we were trying to maneuver our way through the parks, restaurants and our resort. This put a whole new light on the way we look at things and behavior that we tried to ignore in the past was quickly thrown in our face. Now, I'm not saying everyone has bad manners, but it surprises me how many people DO.

I think people was rude as well in begining of nov when we was there as well but thought maybe it was due to my mother in law on a ECV or our stroller. but i chalked it up to them being busier than i expected. touringplans let us down this year on how busy park was expected to be when we was there.

Really? I'm going in February and while I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, I guarantee you that finding a dirty diaper in my hotel room upon check in would probably put a pretty big damper on our entire vacation. That is totally unacceptable and gross beyond words.

Honestly, take the dirty diaper out of the picture, and I personally still understand why the OP would be disappointed. For us, WDW is a pretty darn expensive vacation. I expect not to be bypassed at check-in; I expect to have the person checking me in to know what he/she is doing; I expect the vast majority of the CM's I encounter to be happy and helpful. I have these expectations because I've been to WDW before and the reason I go back is because I've found it to be a wonderful vacation.

This wasn't their first trip either. They do have experiences to compare it to and that's what their expectations are based on.

I don't understand why you'd "shake your head" and question their expectations.

Really? Yes, the dirty diaper is gross, but it would put a damper on your ENTIRE vacation? Definitely with the previous poster and shaking my head.

Really? Yes, the dirty diaper is gross, but it would put a damper on your ENTIRE vacation? Definitely with the previous poster and shaking my head.

I have to agree. Does a dirty diaper in the room warrant a call to housekeeping? Yes. Does it demand compensation and a visit from Mickey Mouse to make up for it? No.

:wave2: Just got back last night from a week at Disney World with husband, daughter, son in law and 3 yr old granddaughter. It was a wonderful trip, we had magic bands, stayed on property -Fort Wilderness cabins, utilized Disney transport to/from airport and check in. Had never stayed at Fort Wilderness but thought it would be a better choice than adjoining rooms- type accomodations. It was spacious, and afforded ease in packing lunch/snacks for day and breakfast/coffee in the morning. I packed wine in suitcase so had a nice vintage after the day's events! We hit Magic Kingdom Tues and Wed so little one could see all her princesses. We booked our fast passess online with the app the night before and made changes on the fly as need be during the day. We didn't do the golf cart rental, and frankly is not needed - the shuttle worked fine within the resort. We took the boat to Magic Kingdom the first day and second day mixed it up with monorail via Contemporary Resort. Loved the new areas to meet the princesses, the cast members were awesome. The princesses spend personal time with the children, interact with them, Rapunzel even danced with our little one. Day 3 we went to Animal Kingdom - little grandaughter was a tad frightened at the start of Nemo with the sharks and darker opening, so we exited to ride the triceratops'. She enjoyed the walk through where the exotic birds were and the jungle safari ride too. Met some characters too. Some disappointments with the cast member closing the rope right when we got there to meet Pocahontas - after running like crazy to make the deadline - we had 30 minutes to spare but she closed it in front of us. We pleaded but she refused. We ended up going back at 5:45 for the last attempt and the elderly gal this time minding the rope said' oh sure go in, the little princess needs to meet Pocahontas!" All in all it was a great visit seeing it all through a 3 yr old's eyes, and adjusted on the fly to make it all work. One thing I would change would be to not have Disney take the luggage when arriving at 5 pm - bags never got to cabin until 10pm, wished we would have just taken them ourselves, but wanted to lessen burden on our daughter and son in law for rangling suitcases and stroller. Would probably not stay at Fort Wilderness cabins again - too many buses and shuttles - easier at Pop Music or other value resorts but lesson learned for next time.

What on earth does this have to do with the op?

Final note….. I didn't create the standard/expectations for disney…. disney itself advertises it exceptional experience and high standards. I can let issues/problems go….no trip is perfect and i wouldn't want to ruin my own vacation by being unhappy. however this trip we had multiple issues (many of which I did not write about). I don't blame the cm's for being unhappy…I often saw guest treating them awful. i myself work with the public and know how it can be, but i don't take my frustrations out on everyone around me. overall i feel something is obviously going on with the company to have so many employees seem miserable. (again, i did encounter some very helpful/kind/amazing cm's, but the majority did not fit this description) Something just seemed very off for disney world on this trip. I'm sure we will be back at some point. right now, i just don't have a desire to go. Im looking at maybe doing a disney cruise (because I've heard so many wonderful things about them and it seems a little more relaxed, which is probably better for my family at this point) thanks for all of your comments! (oh and we did use the magic bands and fast pass plus, i thought both were really nice)
Perhaps part of the difference was traveling with two littles, giant car seats and being in your tried trimester. I've traveled with little guys but would never have gone pregnant. That had to have added an different element.

Not saying that a poopy diaper is ok. But in the end it was just a mistake and we all make them.

I'm sorry your trip wasn't better. That poopy diaper :eek:

I think it's probably a combination of Disney's growing pains and Disney trying to maximize the number of guests. Last time we went, the new Test Track had just opened. I don't remember seeing grumpier CMs. They just seemed frustrated, understandably so, and frustrated CMs will sometimes make for frustrated guests. Disney is constantly improving things (sometimes "improving"!) and even when it's for the best, it can be very disruptive. Disney also seems more crowded every time we're there. I guess it's good for the bottom line to have so many people there, even during traditionally slower seasons, but they should either increase the number of CMs or compensate the CMs better to deal with the bigger crowds, and/or train them better to deal with the changing landscape, breakdowns in new ride technology, etc. All this good for the business stuff is coming through in the vibe in the parks, though. I realize those days are gone, but I miss the slower vibe the parks used to have.

I haven't read the entire thread, but, I wonder what kind of person would put a poopy diaper in the bedside table. Some people totally lack common courtesy and common sense. When my son was young, I used to travel with plastic grocery bags to wrap the poopy diapers before throwing them in the trash.

That said, I am a physician, and I see young children in my practice. We have signs up in all of our exam rooms that state that parents should give dirty diapers to the nurse, and not put them in the trash in the rooms. Then they are subjected to the double plastic bag wrap and put into trash that is going out that evening. But, unfortunately, I have come in more than once, and found that a parent had put a poopy diaper in the biohazard can instead of giving it to the nurse. The trash in the rooms goes out every day. Biohazard is collected by a special firm for incineration about once every two to four weeks. Now, our nurses know to take a quick look into the biohazard bin in each room to be sure there is no dirty diapers. But, every so often, one is missed.

So, I am one to side with that finding a poopy diaper in a bedside table is a nasty surprise. Generally, if it had been there for any time at all, the room should have smelled bad. If it didn't smell bad, I am not sure that I would fault housekeeping for not opening every drawer in the room, given the limited time they have to clean. I read elswhere that somebody had found a used feminine protection product folded into a bed. Once again, what kind of a slobbish person would remove their feminine protection product and stash it in the hide-a-bed? I have never done that, either.

You can't really fault Disney for a general decline in common sense and courtesy among our fellow travelers.

I tend to be assertive, if I'm in line waiting to be checked in and see others behind me being checked in first I would be stepping forward telling someone I was here first.

When something goes wrong I take it to management if serious.

Gosh I remember when EPCOT first opened. Every ride went down for a lengthy period. Went to guest services and was given the well EPCOT is experimental and that happens. When I explained to management I paid good money for their failed experiment I wasn't too happy they gave me free tickets for a day for my party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter