Just purchased DVC Grand Floridian

Congratulations!

We also just purchased our first DVC and purchased 200 pts at the Grand Floridian. It is very exciting !!! We are planning to go Dec 15-25. Our guide placed a hold for us on a Savannah Studio at AKL Kidani while the paperwork and the sale is processed.

Congrats again!!!

Congratulations!

We also just purchased our first DVC and purchased 200 pts at the Grand Floridian. It is very exciting !!! We are planning to go Dec 15-25. Our guide placed a hold for us on a Savannah Studio at AKL Kidani while the paperwork and the sale is processed.

Congrats again!!!

:confused:

You paid a premium for those VGF points... with special privileges. You should use those privileges to get VGF, and not AKL. If you want AKL, those points are available at half price of VGF through resale. Also, AKL usually only gets full after the MK resorts are filled first because of its location. If the VGF room is full now for December 2013, your guide can "create availability" for a one-time purchase courtesy. Don't lose that privilege!

The other way to look at it is that you can rent out those VGF points for as high as $17.5... just search the thread. Then use the cash to rent a distressed point at $9 per point. You will save $8 per point, over $1600 for 200 points! That will pay your dining plan so it's worth the hassles of renting and switching.

You paid a premium for those VGF points... with special privileges. You should use those privileges to get VGF, and not AKL. If you want AKL, those points are available at half price of VGF through resale. Also, AKL usually only gets full after the MK resorts are filled first because of its location. If the VGF room is full now for December 2013, your guide can "create availability" for a one-time purchase courtesy. Don't lose that privilege!

The other way to look at it is that you can rent out those VGF points for as high as $17.5... just search the thread. Then use the cash to rent a distressed point at $9 per point. You will save $8 per point, over $1600 for 200 points! That will pay your dining plan so it's worth the hassles of renting and switching.

I would have to agree here :/ And I am not one to really want to deal with the hassle of renting and transfers and all that madness! Lol.

Is there a reason you chose AKV over VGF? Or is it an issue of availability?

MoreTravels said:

I think part of it is wanting to vacation in Dec of this year. If they tried to do this there would not be a room available with the distressed points they try to rent.

There are couple of reasons we chose to have our first dvc stay at AKV. First, any DVC resort is going to feel like a huge upgrade for us since we have always stayed at values (POP mostly). Secondly we will have a car on our December trip (we usually do not have a car) and figured AKV would be good choice due to only have bus transportation there. And we left the choice up to our 12 year old son, and he wanted to stay at AKV. We will most likely be using our home resort advantage of VGF on our next trip. Also there was no availability.

We are so excited to join the DVC family!

To be honest I have very limited knowledge on everything you just mentioned:confused3 Any information you could give me would be great!!!
I don't mean this in a negative way at all, but my sincere advice is that you cancel your purchase.

The legal term it is rescission, and under Florida Law you have 10 days after signing the formal agreement to purchase to rescind with a full refund and no penalties. Even if you are past the ten days, DVC would probably let you out of the purchase if you explain you were misled.

DVC is a good timeshare product, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it. But it is obvious that you don't understand even the most basic aspects of the product. Rescind and take your own sweet time researching here on the DIS until you really understand what you are buying.

I would also research other options to buying a timeshare, as well as other timeshares if you decide you want to go that route.

Then, if you think DVC is a good fit for your family, go for it.

You received absolutely nothing special -- no promotion, just the list price...and that will be there whenever you are truly ready to buy.

You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by taking a step back, doing your due diligence, and making a well-informed decision.

There are couple of reasons we chose to have our first dvc stay at AKV. First, any DVC resort is going to feel like a huge upgrade for us since we have always stayed at values (POP mostly). Secondly we will have a car on our December trip (we usually do not have a car) and figured AKV would be good choice due to only have bus transportation there. And we left the choice up to our 12 year old son, and he wanted to stay at AKV. We will most likely be using our home resort advantage of VGF on our next trip. Also there was no availability.

We are so excited to join the DVC family!

Well have a great vacation! Your son will have a great time. My BF loved staying in AKV even though it is kind of far away from everything. We did not have a savannah room but we could still walk out to the viewing areas. Are you staying in Jambo or Kidani?

being a DVC member will be the best thing you ever did if you a Disney fan.... learn about the ins and outs.... not that complicated..... but VGF will be a fabulous resort. talk to your guide in depth about the ins and outs of your points, when you get them, how to bank them, how to use them. I own at 4 DVC's and just booked today a stay at Grand Floridian with my OKW points.... can't wait! you did not get cheated.... Disney freebies are what they are.... no matter what, it will be worth the purchase for those who come annually..... many feel DVC is a waste, but it's the best money I ever spent. Lost so much in the stock market, but my DVC points are constant and provide a guaranteed vacation for my family:) enjoy:)

Is it normal that your annual dues get pro rated like mine will in the first year? Or is it just because the resort isn't open yet and they technically cant charge you dues prior to October because the resort was closed.
It is normal that your dues get pro-rated, either from when the resort opens, or from when you purchased that first year.

I bought VGC in June 2009, it opened in October of 2009. My 2009 dues were pro-rated for Oct-Dec. If I had bought direct in June of 2010, I would have paid dues pro-rated from June-Dec of 2010.

Unless you add-on, your dues will not be pro-rated again.

When one buys resale the MFs are negotiated.

When one buys resale the MFs are negotiated.

This is a very noteworthy comment...

For resales, unless you specifically negotiate the current year dues on available points, by default it is assumed the contract will be written that the buyer assumes the full cost of the current year's dues on the current year available points.

Some listing will read "No annual dues until 2014" or the like. If there isn't a comment similar, be sure to ask to avoid stress down the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter