• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just curious

Regina

<font color=teal>Maybe I’ll “accidentally” drop a
Please excuse me if this has been discussed to death before, but I'm wondering about something.

When we joined DVC in 1991, they had an incredible presentation at OKW. There were all sorts of magical touches describing the new program.

Our children were taken to a childcare center, and they were treated to make your own sundaes.

The entire family posed for a picture, that makes it look as if we are in a hot air balloon with Donald Duck.

Since then, we've stopped at an open house at the Boardwalk. It didn't come close to what we experienced, but that could be because we simply wanted to see what it looked like and didn't get the whole treatment.

What are they doing nowadays? I'm curious.

No ice cream sundae, no pictures with anyone. Just the spiel, basically. Oh...and a certificate for "lunch" from one of 3 places, although the only place that was open at the time we finished (4 PM) was the brewery, and that was "OK".

When I signed up for the tour, "she" said that we'd get a certificate for lunch at the ESPN club (one of the 3 choices, but the only one she mentioned); the kids spent 2 hours in the child care center, and there were no snacks.

There were some cookies and beverages in the waiting area, which we nibbled on while we waited....and waited...for our guide.

We didn't even get lunch.....after handing over a $10,000+ check! Oh well, the points are what matters.

My ds was thrilled with the cookies in the waiting area.

My DH didn't get lunch either, and that would have been nice since he'd left 3 teenagers back at our room. Oh well. Guess there really isn't any such thing as a free lunch, even at Disney!:)

DVCReg I know what you're talking about! ;) It's too bad they elminated the sundaes because up until that point I was "just looking". Once the hot fudge kicked in, I was figuring out how to swing a purchase.

Hey Pam! I guess that they discovered our weakness.;)

It's a shame that they discontinued all of this.

I guess that over time they realized that they could sell without it.

I suppose that you don't want to know about the small photo albums that they used to leave in our room as a gift when we stayed there in the beginning?:p

We still enjoy that photo album. It was on the keyshelf when we arrived on our 1st trip "home" in '93.

Also remember the peach towels and the artificial plant decor which has also faded from sight.

The sundaes were nice!!

Now you guys have me kicking myself for not taking the tour back in 1994 when we first talked to the DVC guy who was staked out at CBR. But I guess all is just as well, as there's no way we could have joined back then....

I think they were offering a meal certificate at the time too (might have been to draw those staying onsite to tour)....on top of the ice cream and all!

We do have a few neat items that we were given by the kiosk people throughout WDW...a BWV button and a DVC ball. The ball is cool.

When we took the tour last summer we got lunch. We chose the brewery and DH was looking at the pork chops, but when the waiter found out we were eating on DVCs dime he gave us a limited menu without them. We thought it was punishment because we didn't buy that minute!
Robin M.

I wonder if they "feel you out" before making any offers of incentives.

I was on my way from the BC to the BW bakery, and stopped to look at the DVC book outside of the DVC office. A woman (Barbara?) came out, (overly) admired my sneakers :rolleyes:, and then got talking about DVC. I told her that my DH did not want to take time out of our vacation to go to a presentation, and asked for some brochures or something to give to him.

Well, that's when she hit me with the lunch offer, and said she'd just make an appointment for us, and if he really didn't want to go we could cancel. As it turns out, DH was NOT thrilled...we had other plans earlier in the day, but I managed to talk him into cutting them short (DQ/DTD), and we went. This was a Friday. We signed Sunday before leaving WDW. We canceled during the following week, and bought a resale.

The waitress we had at the Brewery was really nice, if not a little ditzy. There was a "per person" limit, but she let us play with that a little.

dvceg I remember too. We bought in 1991 site unseen. When we went for the first time we got that great picure with Donald and hot air balloon and the kids got Mickey ice bream bars. I also have the photo album and a wonderful coin typeof thing. We used to love the little "extras", but being realistic there are way too many members now to do this. We were one of the first 10 to buy through the mail so we go way back, but I can certainly understand that Disney just can't do the same thing anymore. It sure was nice though to come back from a day at the parks and be surpsied with a little present!!

We joined in '93 and got the photo and sundae as well. We didn't visit WDW until '95 so we missed the photo album. Does anyone remember the soup recipe book from Olivia's? I have made so many pots of soup from that book. In fact, I made a pot of beef barley soup earlier this week mmmmmmmmmmmm:tongue:

We joined in 1993 and got the photo and a sundae. Still have the photo on our dresser. The best part though, was getting free adimission, to the then 3 parks that were there, until December 31, 1999.

smiley,
I know this is off topic so I apologize. I have been looking for a good recipe for beef barley soup. Do you think I could get it from you?

We signed in March and got a free lunch at Spoodles. We ordered from the regular menu (appetizer, lunch, dessert) and it was wonderful. I truly think that cinched it for DH.

Wish we had stopped by one of the kiosks back in 92 (our first visit as a couple).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter