Just Back - Top Ten Tips (2 adults)

PrincessEilonwy

Earning My Ears
I just got back from my first "grown-up" trip (all other times were w/ mom & siblings) with my boyfriend. We went at the end of October, and I wish I would have taken all the advice on this web site. Here are my ten best tips I learned:

1) Stay on site. Time is money, the time you save is worth the money. I almost stayed off site, and when that Disney bus rolled up 5 minutes after a long evening at Epcot, I was so glad I choose a Disney resort (plus theming is excellent).

2) Even adults w/o kids need a mid-day break. :D

3) Use priority seating, and check-in even if you show up early, I showed up 1/2-1 hour early and still got a table before "walk-ins", even with same day PS.

4) Do at least one character meal! I had a blast at 1900 Park Fare. Alice loved my Alice-in-Wonderland tee shirt and we talked for several minutes about "not stepping on momeraths" and how "all ways are the Queen's ways" in addition to cute pictures.

5) Use luggage service to extend time 1st & last day.

6) Tip housekeeping--they'll give you extra towels & soap!

7) Ask CMs to take your picture--I have a beautiful picture a CM took of us while the sun was setting in front of the World Showcase.

8) Use FASTPASS!

9) Treat yourself to a sit-down meal at Epcot in the World Showcase (we loved Merakesh in Morroco)

10) Toss change from extra cash & lunch money into a jar...turn into Disney Dollars. I saved $100 from left-over lunch money in 4 months and didn't even miss it.

Hope this helps someone--have fun!!!!

Hi Princess Eilonwy!

Thank you for some great tips I didn't know about!

There are two that I'm not clear on. Can you tell more about them?

3) Use priority seating, and check-in even if you show up early, I showed up 1/2-1 hour early and still got a table before "walk-ins", even with same day PS.

5) Use luggage service to extend time 1st & last day.

Thanks,

BW

PS Who is the character (pic) in your post, and from what movie?

Hi. Okay...Princess Eilonwy is the heroine of Disney's 25th animated feature...The Black Cauldron (1985). Perhaps one of the worst-grossing Disney movies of all time. She saves the young hero, Taran, from the dungeon of the Horned King. I'm a big fan of the less popular Disney films. My absolute favorite is Alice in Wonderland, a film Walt Disney claimed "had no heart". If I were a Disney Princess I would be Eilonwy...playful but down-to-earth, unglamorous and yet still royal. ;)

With the priority seating...for example, I had a P.S. for 8:00pm on 10/25 at Chef Mickey's buffet dinner, but we got there sooner than I thought at 7:00pm. I gave the hostess my name anyway, and even though I was early I still got my table *before* the family of 4 behind me without priority seating.

Luggage service...if you arrive at your Disney resort hotel hours before the room is ready you can give them your suitcases and go swim, eat, play, whatever. (Service is free, standard tip is $1/bag). It's like adding an extra day to your vacation vs. getting there at the 4:00pm check-in time.

Hope this helps! Thanks for asking me about my Disney movie!

OK, great thanks! I'll have to check out The Black Cauldron now! :Pinkbounc

I like the idea of getting there early. That's what I plan to do! Do you feel that you must get back to the hotel by check-in time in order to get the room you want?

I'm still not clear on Priority seating/Early arrival...If the people were behind you in line then of course you would get a table before them, PS or no PS, right?

Thanks,

BW:p

When I checked it I think they already knew which room I was getting, but it wouldn't be cleaned out and stuff until 2:00pm (I got there at noon). We ate lunch and swam until about 3:00 and then checked it--we stayed at the All Star Music which has hourly luggage drop-off, so our suitcases were waiting for us when we got there. I imagine you could show up anytime after the room being ready, you would just have to go to the front desk and get the keys...when I arrived they didn't give them to me.

With Priority Seating, I thought the cool thing was even though I was there early, I still got a table before the "walk-up" who were told it would be a 25 minute wait. This happened again at 1900 Park Fare breakfast buffet, I got there about 40 minutes early and was still called before the "walk-ins" who got there *before* me with *no* P.S. who were being asked to wait almost 1/2 hour. So get a P.S. if you can!

I'llsecond the comments about the PS's. Also, if you decide late in the day that you want to eat somewhere that day-go ahead and still call for the PS. I made one about 3 hours before I wanted to eat at Bomas and it saved me a 45 minute wait.

I've also been to WDW with family a bunch of times & the last several times was with my boyfriend & it's such a different expirience! We absolutely LOVE character meals, breakfast, luch & dinner. We get great pictures there! I had a few tips to add on to yours & to confirm some of yours to :)
--First & foremost-- STAY ON PROPERTY! It's worth it 100 times over, & you can stay at one of the value resorts (all stars & pop century) for so cheap that it might be cheaper than an off site hotel, nevermind all of the perks you get for staying on property. Granted it's nice, but no one says you HAVE to spend $300 a night to stay at a deluxe or home away from home resort!
-- Definately ask CM's to take pictures, especially waiters at restaurants, those are some of our favorite pictures because the two of us are in them & the atmosphere is always beautiful!
--Don't be afraid to ask passing families, orespecial other couples throughout the park to take pictures for you too- you'd be surprised at how willing people are to take your picture, especially if you return the favor!
-- We always get to WDW as early as possible on the first day & leave as late as possible the last day & check our luggage! You should check your luggage on the first AND last day of your stay this way ou have more time to spend having fun!
--Another plus to geting there early is that your room may be ready earlier than expected & we normally check to see if a late check out is available which is fun, after you're all packed up to be able to relax a little before it's time to go.
--Another thing we do on the first and last days is plan a dinner show for the first night, & have a character breakfast at a resort & play mini golf on the last day. Because normally we have hopper plus passes & we use all of our passes for full days so those are some fun things that we do with out having park admission.
-- Spend at least one day away from the parks-- it's so nice to spend the day swmming or resort hopping, or even shopping at DTD & then topping off the day with a quiet dinner (our fav in DTD is Portabello YC).
--One last tip-depending on how long you are going for, consider AP's. We're donig it this time because we're going for 2 weeks & it's more cost effective & the discounts are great! & also, you don't have to worry if you decided to spend the day at your hotel that you have ressies for dinner in a park & you'll have to use up a full day on your hopper for just an hour at dinner time!

Those tips were great & I hope these help too!! :)

I agree with this tip. We had a ps at Ohana and overestimated the amount of time we needed to get there from the Dolphin (that wonderful, wonderful bus service). We arrived very early, gave our name, and got right in!

Stay onsite! After years of staying offsite to save a couple dollars, I finally relented.

Voila! I am now a DVC owner!

Welcome home! I agree with everything you said - all are great tips/advice! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter