Just back... some quick observations

jensen

DIS Veteran
I wanted to make some quick notes about what we recently experienced. We were there for 6 nights on DDP. We dined TS at: BOMA, Cape May Cafe, Garden Grill, Coral Reef and Alfredo's.

We loved BOMA! I've been wanting to try it every trip and finally got it done. It was great and I highly recommend it. You'll find something for everyone on this buffet.

Cape May Cafe (buffet) had a great salad bar... but, little else. If you are looking for good seafood, don't go here. There were some peel and eat shrimp, some sandy clams and some mussels. Maybe some fried catfish or tilapia, as well. I certainly found enought to eat on the salad bar and the soups were good. But, I probably won't go here again.

Garden Grill. We enjoyed this restaurant, though the service was very lacking. The characters came around a couple of times and the kids really liked their meal - especially the cupcake they decorated themselves.

Coral Reef was excellent. I had the mahi mahi and it was so moist and flakey. YUM! DH had the NY Strip and he said it was really good. This was our first encounter with the standardized kids menu and I can see why people hate it. I had to order an extra entree of mac 'n cheese as my 6 year old was still starving after his first order. Of course, he didn't touch the veggies (broccoli). But, he did like the ice cream sundae.

Alfredo's was awful!!!! I will not be going back. I was nervous about going here because someone on these boards had compared the pasta to "chef boyardee". I'm going to second that!!! It was just awful. I had the trio and the lasagna was inedible - and I'm NOT a picky eater. DH had the shrimp pasta and enjoyed it. But we hated the atmosphere. It was so loud, you couldn't hear anything and our server - who was a doll :) - had such a thick accent that I couldn't understand anything. I suggest you skip this place.

I'll give a more detailed review later, but I wanted to put something out here right away.

thanks for the reviews. I was kind of on the fence about alfredo's for our next trip ,despite the negative reviews, because my family loves Italian food. Well now I know for sure I won't be booking it.
How was the food at the Garden grill?

Thanks for the reviews! We are adding Coral Reef to our list for next trip, it's been getting some really great reviews. We too were very disappointed in Cape May - probably one of our worst meals ever at WDW.

Sarah, I don't want to say the food was bad at Garden Grill. But, it wasn't great. DH really liked the catfish and ordered some extra of that. I ate some of it, but don't really like the muddy taste of catfish. I picked at the turkey even though it had a funky taste to it. I loved the mashed potatoes and the breads - so I was full of starch when I left :). The steak had a wine gravy on it that wasn't to our liking... but, the dessert was really, really good!!! I don't regreat eating here, but I probably won't go out of my way to eat here again. I say try it once.

Thanks for the reviews! I was so on the fence about our ressie for Alfredo's. Now I think I will just go and cancel it.

I wanted to make some quick notes about what we recently experienced. We were there for 6 nights on DDP. We dined TS at: BOMA, Cape May Cafe, Garden Grill, Coral Reef and Alfredo's.

We loved BOMA! I've been wanting to try it every trip and finally got it done. It was great and I highly recommend it. You'll find something for everyone on this buffet.

Cape May Cafe (buffet) had a great salad bar... but, little else. If you are looking for good seafood, don't go here. There were some peel and eat shrimp, some sandy clams and some mussels. Maybe some fried catfish or tilapia, as well. I certainly found enought to eat on the salad bar and the soups were good. But, I probably won't go here again.

Garden Grill. We enjoyed this restaurant, though the service was very lacking. The characters came around a couple of times and the kids really liked their meal - especially the cupcake they decorated themselves.

Coral Reef was excellent. I had the mahi mahi and it was so moist and flakey. YUM! DH had the NY Strip and he said it was really good. This was our first encounter with the standardized kids menu and I can see why people hate it. I had to order an extra entree of mac 'n cheese as my 6 year old was still starving after his first order. Of course, he didn't touch the veggies (broccoli). But, he did like the ice cream sundae.

Alfredo's was awful!!!! I will not be going back. I was nervous about going here because someone on these boards had compared the pasta to "chef boyardee". I'm going to second that!!! It was just awful. I had the trio and the lasagna was inedible - and I'm NOT a picky eater. DH had the shrimp pasta and enjoyed it. But we hated the atmosphere. It was so loud, you couldn't hear anything and our server - who was a doll :) - had such a thick accent that I couldn't understand anything. I suggest you skip this place.

I'll give a more detailed review later, but I wanted to put something out here right away.

I totally agree, we LOVED Boma and HATED Alfredo. I also had the pasta trio and thought it was inedible. I could just kick myself now, I actually cancelled reservations at Coral Reef for Alfredo because my kids wanted to eat Italian food that night.

Thanks for the reviews. I am still on the fence about Cape May. I am almost thinking about cancelling Boma's too, I don't want to wreck havoc with my stomache.

Very excited Boma was a hit - we are trying it on our upcoming April vacation and I am hyping it beyond belief that I hope it holds up! What were some standouts there? Desert?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter