Just back - our favorite meals and one major disappointment

mysparky

Mouseketeer
We were on the dining plan and LOVED it. We did lots of sharing so that a) we were able to visit two of the TS places that require 2 credits, and b) because there's just so much food for the TS credits.

With one exception, we loved all of our TS meals.

Flying Fish Cafe - service was terrific, loved the atmosphere and food was excellent. I'm not much of a fish lover, but the waiter indicated that the red snapper dish was a filet and was very mild, but delicious. He was right on target - it was a great dish!

Spoodles (dinner) - We ate here 2 years ago and weren't terribly impressed (especially given all of the great reviews). This time, our experience was quite different. We weren't terribly hungry so we used just 2 TS meals and also ordered chicken noodle soup for my DD. The apps were great (flatbread, calamari) and the main dishes were delicious as well (chicken w/ Lemon orzo, spinach and tomatoes). Had no complaints with the service either.

Spoodles (breakfast) - Since we enjoyed our dinner so much and ended up having a few extra TS meals, we decided to have a TS breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. It was delicious. Service was fast (others have said that Spoodles is slow for breakfast) and omelets were very good. Kids enjoyed their MM pancakes.

Crystal Palace (dinner) - was surprisingly good. I'm not a big fan of buffets (this was our only one), but we decided to try it because I didn't want to commit tons of time to a sitdown dinner while in MK. We all found things we liked very much such as grilled salmon, corn spoonbread, roast beef, nicely done green beans, and potato chowder. We didn't come here for the characters (Pooh, Tiger, Piglet), but they did make the rounds and were definitely fun.

Wolfgang Puck Cafe (dinner) - LOVED this meal! We were there on Thanksgiving and it was absolutely jammed, but everything that came out of the kitchen was perfection. My vegetable spring rolls appetizer was excellent, my husband loved the calamari and our entrees were excellent as well (macadamia crusted chicken and Wolf Steak). The kids enjoyed their meals as well (spaghetti & meatballs for DD8 and "Wolfgang's Meatball" for DS11). DH was disappointed w/ the sides that came w/ his steak (french fries AND onion rings). I agreed that garlic mashed potatoes (that came w/ my dinner) would have been a better match. The other minor complaint was that they ran out of a number of desserts that night. We were pretty stuffed so it really didn't make a difference, but I found it surprising. The menu here is eclectic, but there is something for everyone. Service was good as well.

Yachtman's Steakhouse (dinner) - MAJOR disappointment!!! Very poor service and steaks that were just ok. DH and I got the Chateaubriand (sp?) and it was served lukewarm, the kids each got a filet and they were not cooked enough (we all ordered medium, these were very clearly med-rare, perhaps more on the rare side). Our server was nowhere to be found. We eventually flagged down another waiter and got the kids' steaks put back on the grill. 15 mins later, they came back to us. My filet had a ribbon of fat running through it (??!). The wait between entrees and dessert was 30 mins, and the wait for our check was another 20 mins. Our total bill came to $208. Had we not been on the DDP, and had we not wanted to get out of there and over to Epcot, I would have spoken with the manager.

We definitely tried restaurants that we would not have tried before and although we had one bad experience (that actually cost 2 TS Credits each), we definitely enjoyed our TS meals. We'd purchase the DDP again in a heartbeat!!

Thanks for your reviews! I'm glad to hear that you had great experiences overall.

I found that my steaks were undercooked alot last month when we went. I ordered medium and some came out rare - I mean still mooing. I like pink but no red. So I got to the point where I told the server exactly what I wanted and they put it in that way. Sorry it was such a disappointment!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Sounds like we have the same taste. We loved CP and were very surprised by the food. Hated Yaghtsmen also. Food was just OK and service was poor for us too. Sounds like you had a good time with the plan. We did too and would do it again.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. So they allow you to share TS meals?? That would be awesome!! :cool1:

I normally eat my steaks medium rare when dining out but I think Disney medium is more like everyone else's medium rare. Our first waitress warned us about this so we ordered medium the whole trip and every steak was cooked the same and was perfect.

I'm sorry about your kid's steaks, they should of known better!

Kim

I have to agree about the Yachtsman. We eat there every trip and this was the first time we were very disappointed in the meal. Our DS4 ordered the Cheeseburger (we always order hamburgers well done) and it came out still red in the middle. When we finally got ahold of our waitress to take it back and have it cooked properly, 15 minutes later another burger came out, again, red in the middle. Sigh. We asked that the cheeseburger be taken off our bill, as we were now done eating (our DS shared his sister's chicken tenders). The service was subpar, the food was just okay. We have always had excellent service and food here, so who knows what's up...

I'm sorry to hear that you & others have found things not up to par at Yachtsman. We ate there in early Oct. & it was great. Service, food everything was perfect. I hope there hasn't been a change in management or something. We have it booked for our next trip in Jan. & we're bringing family with us, so I'm really hoping this is just a fluke.

MinnieMe67 said:
I have to agree about the Yachtsman. We eat there every trip and this was the first time we were very disappointed in the meal. Our DS4 ordered the Cheeseburger (we always order hamburgers well done) and it came out still red in the middle. When we finally got ahold of our waitress to take it back and have it cooked properly, 15 minutes later another burger came out, again, red in the middle. Sigh. We asked that the cheeseburger be taken off our bill, as we were now done eating (our DS shared his sister's chicken tenders). The service was subpar, the food was just okay. We have always had excellent service and food here, so who knows what's up...

I'll tell you what's up: It's the DDP! People don't seem to realize all their "great deals" are ruining the Disney dining experience.

We didn't eat at the Yachtsman Steakhouse on our recent trip, but we ate there last year and were also dissappoitned. This use to be one of our favorites. We like our steak medium-rare and they kept burning it. I mean the first one came out WELL DONE as all get out which is so far removed from medium rare. Then, the 2nd time I got medium. The third time I finally got medium rare and it was medium rare on the inside but the outside was so charred and burned it felt and smelt like shoe leather. I was so dissappointed. I was hoping it was an isolated incident but it doesn't sound like it. I hope this place turns around.

Thanks for the reviews!

PamNC

Whew.. I was afraid I was going to read another bad review about Coral Reef. I'm starting to wonder if I should change my ADRs, but thats our restaurant for the CP dinner package.

Thanks for the reviews, sorry you were disappointed in Yachtsman. We ate there a few years ago and it was great, but if I had your experience, I would have been disappointed too. :rolleyes:

jodifla said:
I'll tell you what's up: It's the DDP! People don't seem to realize all their "great deals" are ruining the Disney dining experience.

It seems like Disney doesn't do anything out of charity. I'm sure they are offering the discounts in order to keep people eating in the park. They must be making more over all than loosing customers to outside restaurants :confused3 Otherwise they wouldn't do it. As for the service, don't the servers know that we have the option to leave an extra tip for good service? :confused3

MAGICFOR2 said:
It seems like Disney doesn't do anything out of charity. I'm sure they are offering the discounts in order to keep people eating in the park. They must be making more over all than loosing customers to outside restaurants :confused3 Otherwise they wouldn't do it. As for the service, don't the servers know that we have the option to leave an extra tip for good service? :confused3

I agree that Disney is probably doing ok with these deals, and to be quite honest, we did just fine as well. The only bad experience we had was at the Yachtsman. :sad2:

My friend and I ate at Wolfgang Puck in September (loved it). :goodvibes We ordered the steak and our waiter mentioned that the sides that were with it didn't really go and would we rather have the garlic mashed potatoes instead? We did and the potatoes were delicious. Apparently, the waiter did know what he was talking about. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the great reviews!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter