Just back....had a great time....and upgraded too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
Hey all....just returned from the 3 night 9/11 sailing of the Wonder....we origionally booked the category 11 for 4 people....it started off as a surprise for my wife but it did not end up that way....they upgraded us to cabin 7502....a category 8....we were happy with that....then my daughter (24) decided she was not going to cruise....so we lost her whole fare.....so when we checked it we attempted to get them to credit her fare (as suggested by DCL reservations since this was our 5th cruise and we have 2 more 7 nights booked) but they could not do it at the port...they suggest we write DCL guest communications....so when they were not going to give us her fare back we tried to get upgraded. They went back and spoke to a supervisor and they put us in cabin 7638.....a handicapped room but it was huge....and the verandah was immense....so I have not written the letter yet, maybe won't bother....but they treated us as good as they could. We were pretty happy with everthing....
Tom

Glad to hear things worked out. Sorry your daughter missed it.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Sorry your DD missed it, especially with the extra room you ended up with. I don't think I would write that letter. Pixie dust was going your way on this last cruise and perhaps it will continue on your next two cruises :)

you paid for a cat. 11, got one free upgraded to a cat.8, then another free upgrade to a cat. 5. and you are considering writing a letter? The only letter I would write would be thanking them so much for the extreem generosity that DCL has repeatedly bestowed upon your family!

Gee - if I recieved those great upgrades I would be more than "pretty happy" - what is there is to write a letter about??

I thought he was planning to write a letter thanking DCL for the 6 category upgrade! As far as cancelling at the last minute, you're made aware of the cancellation rules at the time of booking so I'm not sure what you want DCL to do for you. I really hope that DCL does not stop "having a heart" in certain situations because people have come to expect it in ALL situations. Really the fact that you are a repeat cruiser has nothing to do with it (unless I somehow missed the part of castaway club benefits that says "normal cancellation policies no longer apply.")

Glad you had a great time and sorry your daughter couldn't make it, but that's why they make trip cancellation insurance.

Lisa

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Enough of this ganging up and attacking the original poster.

Lisa.....I guess there always is someone who likes to take away any pixie dust around.....but the facts are the facts....I am very aware of cancellation policies and insurance regarding the cruises....the situation that I stated is that the reservation agent at DCL suggested I speak to the supervisor at the pier, which I did. They suggested I write DCL guest communications and explain the situation. Since there were 4 people in the cabin and all were paid for by myself. If they felt that my circumstances warranted a little consideration, so be it. I would not demand anything, since I am not dealing from a position to demand anything. We were on our 5th cruise, have 2 more booked and our cruise last November 30th was cancelled due to illness, which ruined my vacation at that time. Was I disappointed, yes, very much so. Did Disney try to accomodate me and give me a 50% off cruise, yes they did. I happen to work in a management position in a supermarket, and as a manager I get to bend and change the rules for good customers. I do feel I am a good customer of DCL, and will continue to be. I did not really make my mind up regarding sending the letter....but honestly, you have made it up for me.....maybe they refund it for me....maybe they don't...but I will waste the 38 cent stamp to find out.
Thanks for expressing your point of view....and I do not feel at all attacked....I can take care of myself.
Tom

AnnMorin.....it truly has been a long time since you have replied to one of my posts.....I do realize that everything that I share my opinion one you always seem to take the other side....I bet you were on the debate team in high school or college.....but pixie dust heading your way.....just my DISNEY personality cominig out....and yes, this is all I will have to say on the subject, except everything Disney has ever given me or upgraded me has always been very much appreciated.....but I am a loyal Disney customer as many other people have.....and I am definately not the only person who has been upgraded and taken care of.....just check out some of the trip reports and see what people were given and had sent to there cabin......and as I said, everything I get I appreciate and Disney gets thanked for it....as they do my business.....
Tom

Honestly, I'm just happy for you! Having a pleasant 9/11 memory is worth it's weight in gold. Enjoy your memories.

We always have a great time and great memories....and that is why we keep doing it.....Thanks for kind thoughts....
Tom

Ditto TChrist05...
I'm glad things worked out for you and yours. I remember how disappointed you were last fall and then this time when your daughter did not join you. Being the recipient of some *pixie dust* myself lately, I can honestly say: it is a load off my mind.
I try not to be too judgemental...
unless one has been there, it is hard to understand.

Originally posted by TChrist05
AnnMorin.....it truly has been a long time since you have replied to one of my posts.....I do realize that everything that I share my opinion one you always seem to take the other side....I bet you were on the debate team in high school or college.....but pixie dust heading your way.....just my DISNEY personality cominig out....and yes, this is all I will have to say on the subject, except everything Disney has ever given me or upgraded me has always been very much appreciated.....but I am a loyal Disney customer as many other people have.....and I am definately not the only person who has been upgraded and taken care of.....just check out some of the trip reports and see what people were given and had sent to there cabin......and as I said, everything I get I appreciate and Disney gets thanked for it....as they do my business.....
Tom
Thank you for the pixie dust Tom...
Nope never was on the debate team....................

Glad you had a wonderful time....I know you must be disappointed your DD did not sail. We also had some problems with DCL on one of our cruises and they more than made up for it over the years we have been cruising. That's why I am going on my 9th DCL next week!!! Glad you were upgraded!!!

MJ

But is that not what Travel Insurance is for? I travel with my Mother who is disabled and I have severe medical issues and think insurance is the way to go unless you are willing to take the chance and lose out on the "fare" you have paid for one person or the entire family.

For example if a situation comes up that I can not cruise my MIL, 2 sons (2 & 5 years old) would not go but my Parents probably would if it was not to serious and my sisters would still go too...........I guess I am missing the point. Many of us are DCL repeat customers but I really don't expect any extra than someone having the magical experience the first time.

I for one have gone head to head with Supervisors at DCL over other issues but in this case I think the upgrades were adequate compensation. Also, I am sorry to hear you could not cruise last fall but that in itself should have made travel insurance even more important. You also quote your daughter "decided not to cruise" not that she "could not cruise".

Go ahead and write your letter, that is your choice. I am sorry your Daughter could not sail with you all but then that insurance would have kicked in probably paid you back and you would not have been upgraded at all and you would have been in your inside cabin with no view.

I don't think AnnMorin likes to debate I think she calls it like she see's it. Flame me too if you want but it sounds as if you should thank DCL for being accomodating to your family. The only time I have heard about DCL refunding a paid in full fare without insurance is if someone is deployed somewhere. During that time they were very accomodating....................

I have stated many times in my posts, and I guess some people only read certain parts, that DCL has been very good to us, as we are to them being very loyal customers, and just for the record my daughter could not cruise since she started a new job and training was mandatory that week, or else no job. It was a sudden thing, and we just had to go with the flow. Again, DCL has been good to us, and I was following the suggestions of reservations of DCL, since she stated we are return guests. See, we all have an opinion, and that is what makes America great!

What I posted wasn't meant as a "flame" it was just an expression of surprise that someone who got a 6 category upgrade for free is looking to get a refund for a last minute cancellation as well. Like I said, "customer loyalty" doesn't equate "the rules shouldn't apply to me" in my mind. I LOVE it when DCL does the right thing to help someone out in extraordinary circumstances. It gives me the "warm fuzzies" even though I am not the recipient of DCL's kindness. I do sincerely hope that DCL doesn't stop doing these things because people WITHOUT extraordinary circumstances come to expect the same treatment.

I don't know what kind of person you are, and I am not saying you're a bad one. I am not judging you as a person, just your action in this ONE particular case. I DO think that asking DCL to break the rules after you've gotten much MORE than the value of a single 4th person fare in upgrades is the ultimate in chutzpah and I hope they respond kindly but firmly with a reiteration of the rules.

Lisa

Hopefully DCL will restore my faith in them after we get on the 11/8 cruise.
Good luck to you Tom

Hey TChrist05.........looks loke that "black cloud" has finally left you!!! LOL That's an inside joke for all you readers and posters whom weren't on the cancelled Nov. 30, 2002 sailing list. Glad you had a wonderful time.......With all that "black cloud" joking you and I have done for the past 10 months, and I saw that hurricane warning knowing you were sailing I just thought "oh no I know I told him not to pass that black cloud to me". I think a letter to Guest communications is o.k. I am in management myself and I ALWAYS hear complaints. When I finally get someone whom appreciated the service they recieved and takes the time to let me know I try and do a little extra for them to thank them for the time they took to say "thank you".

Yup.....I have lost that black cloud....had a wonderful 7 day in May and a great 3 day cruise last week.....so the black cloud is gone...Now looking forward to 72 days from now and the Magical 7 day cruise......and I must reply to Lisa for a moment.....sorry that you feel I am asking for more than I may deserve....but we have been going to Disney for the past 25 years.....sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.....we never really ask for anything....let alone upgrades....and yes, they have been very gracious in giving us upgrades without us asking....and it was explained to us by the cruise sales person on the ship that Disney looks at when you booked the cruise, how many times you have sailed...etc.....they can sell the cheaper cabins so they try to upgrade people who have been good Disney customers....which we feel we are. Anyway, if Disney sends me that letter and gives me nothing back, I certainly will understand why, and that will be the end of it. I guess it will make some people happy if they do....
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter