Just back from Disney Dream 2/2-2/5

If I didnt have kids my review would be SO different. The adult areas were so quiet and peaceful and relaxing. We boarded at noon and the scene was INSANE. I actually almost had a panic attack. There were kids running and screaming and slipping and falling all over the place- my 4 year old got knocked down. I tried to go into the Newmos reef with them because the pools were so full but there were so many kids inside of Nemo's reef at 12:00 Noon that I was scared he would get hurt in there.

My only real complaint and what would keep me from booking another cruise was that I didnt have that magical feeling at all. I didnt get to experience many special family times because in order to be in a public area and not get trampled you had to be in the 18 plus area.

The magic I find is not on the pool deck. It's when room service calls our cabin after I have afternoon coffee delivered just to say, "Mrs. B______, how was your order from room service? Is there anything else we can do for you?"
Or our dining room server (who we've had 3x now) show my DSs how to perform a magic trick with forks, toothpicks, & salt/pepper shakers, painstakingly showing them where they're going wrong, how to make it right and every night bringing them a pile of forks & toothpicks, without being asked, so they could practice.

This same server, Daniel, was our assistant server in 08 on the Magic with Rafael who recognized me (in sunglasses) in 09, a year later!!, and stopped to hug & tell me he just saw my parents at the adult pool. :eek: Then I saw him again in '10 at CC handing out wipies near the BBQ entrance. Again, he didn't know my name but recognized me still 2 yrs later with a big warm hug & a "hey how've you been?" :goodvibes Even hugs dh. :laughing:
I'll be requesting him for sure when we sail the Med in '13.

This last time, Daniel told my ds15, then 14, that he didn't need to bring him a menu anymore, that he could order his dinner every night: the beef, medium, baked potato. :lmao:

Sure AP is loud. It bothers my parents too. They say it sounds like a school cafeteria. When it gets too much, we have a Palo night. :thumbsup2

We were also on the same cruise. We booked last minute and I expected it to be crowded, it was our first cruise and really have nothing to compare it to.

I do agree that there were many kids running in the halls and seemed to be lacking an parental supervision. One of the tables near us had 4 kids and the parents seemed oblivious to their running around the dining room. We also had a family near us who wrote all over the cloth table clothes with crayon :confused3

I was also surprised at the behavior of he guests at the shows. We only attended the last show and arrived on time, I thought they did not admit you to the theatre after the performance began, boy was I wrong. People were in and out the whole show. Adults were carrying on whole conversations during the performance. I was actually shocked at the behavior. We had attended a movie the day before and there was hardly any noise from the audience.

A good time to go to the pools was during the first show and first dinner seating. My daughter watched all of Tarzan from the pool the first night. There was only about 10 kids in the pool and the aqua duck was a walk on. We did the aqua duck the second night and waited about 15 minutes. I did not think that it was very crowded during the pirate show.

I was not thrilled with the kids club, I found that the councilor were not that attentive and my daughter did not have a great time there. Twice I picked her up and she was upset. It is a little disappointing since the ship really promotes how great the clubs are.

We also did the 80's music trivia and had fun. The champagne tasting was good. When we were leaving to get off the ship at Castaway Cay we went down to the exit at 9:35 and waited until 10 so we were some of the first people off the ship.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise, but we did not try to do everything, so I think that helped. We rebooked, ( I haven't received a confirmation code so I think we rebooked;) ), on the fantasy for 2013 for 7 day cruise and I expect we will enjoy that more.

One other thing I didn't enjoy was the number of sick kids with phelmy coughs. It seemed everywhere I was there was some kid coughing on me. Needless to say I now have a cold.:headache:

Could you watch it from where you were - or only on the big screen? I have little boys who have dreamed of the sail away party for the last year and wantd to see it. You can see the crowds in your photo of people up on deck 12- we were up on deck 12 and adults were pushing my kids out of the way so THEY could see it. Anyway u look at it, Disney overbooks the cruises and it makes it less magical for us cruising.

We were standing by the rail where I took the first photo, and you can see the view I had of the stage (I'm also very short). If I turned to my left I could see the screen. We put the kids up on our shoulders so they could get a good view, but pretty quickly my kids got tired of watching and wanted to dance. I knew if we were down on deck 11 they would not be able to see anything in the crowd, and wouldn't have enough room to dance.

On a side note, if you look nearly in the center of the Sail Away photo, you can see a toddler in pink. She was running around on the stage pretty much the whole time and no parent tried to get her! Cast members kept getting her and carrying her back to her mother?/an adult female sitting down, but then the mother? would let go and the girl would be off again....

The magic I find is not on the pool deck. It's when room service calls our cabin after I have afternoon coffee delivered just to say, "Mrs. B______, how was your order from room service? Is there anything else we can do for you?"
Or our dining room server (who we've had 3x now) show my DSs how to perform a magic trick with forks, toothpicks, & salt/pepper shakers, painstakingly showing them where they're going wrong, how to make it right and every night bringing them a pile of forks & toothpicks, without being asked, so they could practice.

This same server, Daniel, was our assistant server in 08 on the Magic with Rafael who recognized me (in sunglasses) in 09, a year later!!, and stopped to hug & tell me he just saw my parents at the adult pool. :eek: Then I saw him again in '10 at CC handing out wipies near the BBQ entrance. Again, he didn't know my name but recognized me still 2 yrs later with a big warm hug & a "hey how've you been?" :goodvibes Even hugs dh. :laughing:
I'll be requesting him for sure when we sail the Med in '13.

This last time, Daniel told my ds15, then 14, that he didn't need to bring him a menu anymore, that he could order his dinner every night: the beef, medium, baked potato. :lmao:

Sure AP is loud. It bothers my parents too. They say it sounds like a school cafeteria. When it gets too much, we have a Palo night. :thumbsup2

Us too. My DH trying to learn how to fold a napkin in Oct., when our Palo server from Jan (Alvin) came over to help and teach him. Then another server joined in. Not our servers, mind you. By the end of the cruise, he went to the napkin folding class and already knew how to do it. Yes, he's 32 years old and loved it.

The servers knew by the second night that DD will get whatever seafood or pasta featured on the adult menu and a side Caesar salad and a water in an adult glass with a lemon wedge with a Mickey bar for dessert. She loved them and they loved her. That is the Disney difference. Magical indeed.

Or getting to know Alec in the Merchandise shops. We talked to him outside the liquor store on Beat Street for 1 hour. Yes, one hour. We went to see him every day on our 7 night and even saw him on CC. We learned a lot from him about DCL as well as himself. Unforgettable experience.

These are 3 small things. The Magic is there for sure :goodvibes

Those pics actually do not surprise me. The Pirate Party is a zoo regardless of which ship you are on. Packed in. So is the Sail Away Party, and we have NEVER in 4 cruises watched it on the same deck it's on - we always watch it from above. The stairs look like that from about 1:00-1:29pm in the halls while everyone is waiting for their stateroom to open (but never again after that). And, in Jan 2011, the Magic cleared customs super late and everyone was walking off in one huge crowd just like your pic (this is very abnormal - usually you can just stroll off the ship at your leisure).

On the Magic/Wonder, we have always done the pools on Nassau day and have NEVER encountered a problem. We avoid the pool deck like the plague on a sea day and have never even entertained the thought of going there when we first board the ship at Noon (that's lunch time)!

It takes some planning to get savvy, just like going to WDW. Things have improved for us with each cruise we have done and will continue to do so with each subsequent one.

It did remind me of our first trip to Disney the week after xmas!:scared1: We go offseason now, I plan a year in advance and I know exactly where we want to eat each night and book them 180-days in advance. We have our routine of parks in the morning- leaving after lunch for pool time and quiet time at the resort and then back to the parks or downtown disney at night. For us, our Disney vacations are perfect! I knew leaving the Wilderness Lodge on that last day that I might not like the cruise... its that feeling of knowing you love where you are and not knowing if you will love where you are going. But, hey- I am glad we went and tried it out. I know now that I will not ever do a 3 night Disney cruise again!

These are awesome tips!! Thank YOU!

We did run into some very well mannered kids too. That always impresses me when they are not around their parents and they are so polite. Makes one want to track their parents down and tell them to be proud!

I have done that several times. If I can see their parents, I love being able to tell them their children have been well behaved!

I do agree that there were many kids running in the halls and seemed to be lacking an parental supervision. One of the tables near us had 4 kids and the parents seemed oblivious to their running around the dining room. We also had a family near us who wrote all over the cloth table clothes with crayon :confused3

One other thing I didn't enjoy was the number of sick kids with phelmy coughs. It seemed everywhere I was there was some kid coughing on me. Needless to say I now have a cold.:headache:

Part of this is the parents trying to pack everything in. It's like going to WDW and once the fireworks are done there are overtired kids everywhere and either crying, or completely out of control because they are slap happy. Now, I am not making excuses, because this isn't the case for all of them. Some people just do not control their kids. However, this really bothers me because when it isn't the kids fault, they suffer. OP said that she give her kids a break when they visit WDW and that is fantastic. Advise everyone should follow!

We are not super parents, but DD still takes a little nap. She's going to be 5 in March and still takes a nap. So, on the last 3 cruises, guess what she does every day? Takes a nap. We go back to the stateroom, DH walks around, while I hang out on the verandah, or we both hang out together on the verandah. We went back to the stateroom everyday by 1:20-2pm (even on CC day), so that she could sleep. This made a HUGE difference as she was never miserable. Never. She got up at the same time (~7am), took her nap, and then went to bed later than normal, but was fine since she napped, even if it was just 45 min-1hr. Did we "waste" time? Nope. We were all happy because she stayed on a schedule. This is a mistake parents make when touring the parks, too. Pay lots of $$$ for vacation and then pack it all in. That is a 3-night cruise in a nutshell.

Lack of sleep, overtiredness, airlines + the winter season = :sick: At WDW we use hand sanitizer after each ride because in the winter, the amount of people sick is crazy. Ugh.

Part of this is the parents trying to pack everything in. It's like going to WDW and once the fireworks are done there are overtired kids everywhere and either crying, or completely out of control because they are slap happy. Now, I am not making excuses, because this isn't the case for all of them. Some people just do not control their kids. However, this really bothers me because when it isn't the kids fault, they suffer. OP said that she give her kids a break when they visit WDW and that is fantastic. Advise everyone should follow!

We are not super parents, but DD still takes a little nap. She's going to be 5 in March and still takes a nap. So, on the last 3 cruises, guess what she does every day? Takes a nap. We go back to the stateroom, DH walks around, while I hang out on the verandah, or we both hang out together on the verandah. We went back to the stateroom everyday by 1:20-2pm (even on CC day), so that she could sleep. This made a HUGE difference as she was never miserable. Never. She got up at the same time (~7am), took her nap, and then went to bed later than normal, but was fine since she napped, even if it was just 45 min-1hr. Did we "waste" time? Nope. We were all happy because she stayed on a schedule. This is a mistake parents make when touring the parks, too. Pay lots of $$$ for vacation and then pack it all in. That is a 3-night cruise in a nutshell.

Lack of sleep, overtiredness, airlines + the winter season = :sick: At WDW we use hand sanitizer after each ride because in the winter, the amount of people sick is crazy. Ugh.

My kids still nap (or DD at least has "quiet time" even if she doesn't sleep). The first day is still hard for us - both cruises, just as soon as we are able to finally get them calmed down, settled and asleep, it's time for the muster drill! So we get them up, they get wound up again, and are little monsters by dinner time. We have to have a better plan for the next cruise.

We were also on the same cruise. We booked last minute and I expected it to be crowded, it was our first cruise and really have nothing to compare it to.

This is funny but maybe WE were that family!!! BUT we were told to by our waiter to color on the tablecloth!! He even wrote his name. I told the kids they could only do this there and not any other place!!:rotfl2: They thought it was so cool!!! See, we did have fun times and enjoyed our time, we just didnt like the crowds. The meals were so fun and the servers were awesome. Katarina was our server- this is her 4th year with Disney and she was telling us how she works 6 months and then 2 months off. She was so great!! i didnt really get the whole "head waiter" thing and why we tipped him but maybe there is something he does behind the scene!?:confused:

My kids still nap (or DD at least has "quiet time" even if she doesn't sleep). The first day is still hard for us - both cruises, just as soon as we are able to finally get them calmed down, settled and asleep, it's time for the muster drill! So we get them up, they get wound up again, and are little monsters by dinner time. We have to have a better plan for the next cruise.

I get ya there. DD knows the rule upon entering our stateroom the 1st day is to take a nap. The 1st 2 cruises she was on, she was in bed about 2pm-ish, and then woken up by the announcements for the drill, which start about 3:30pm. On our last cruise, I don't think she ever actually fell asleep that 1st day, but she did get some quiet time. I think you are doing the best with what you are given time-wise.

I think this cruise or our June cruise will be the last napping cruises for her because with starting Kindergarten in the fall, that will be the end of that.

One other thing to mention when I compare Disney World to this cruise, is I expect to deal with crowds at Disney- I prepare myself for it and I plan to head back to the hotel at noon to escape it with a swim and relaxing by the pool. I couldnt do that on the cruise. I didn't expect to deal with crowds like leaving the magic kingdom after the fireworks to see the fireworks on pirate night or to go visit the island. I expected the cruise to feel more intimate... oh well!! I hope my review helps others set there expectations when it comes to kids/crowds at a low level and then I am sure their cruise will be so much more enjoyable!!

DH and I were on that same cruise with our 5 year old triplet daughters and my mother. This was our second DCL cruise,but definitely not the same as our 1st on the Wonder that never made it to CC due to bad weather. Nevertheless... We had a ball. Yes it was crowded and loud,but that's to be expected when booked at capacity. I found it extremely helpful reading all the tips here on what to expect/to do/to avoid beforehand.
We avoided crowded gangway by leaving the ship about an hour and a half after docking. We walked right out without any lines both at Nassau & CC. Aquaduck line isn't as long at the end of the day when everyone is getting prepared for either diner or shows. DH & I took turns riding it with our daughters and waited no more than 15mns,they loved it. We avoided the mid elevators and use the Fwd/Aft ones or used the stairs.
Surprised/disturbed that there were so many unsupervised little ones in the mickey pool & slide. On day 1 there were a lot of older kids in Neemo's Reef. I even had to speak up for a little boy who was pushed by an older kid who clearly did not belong in there (again... No parents in view). That area was ridiculous with kids slipping and falling left and right.
Call me crazy,but I found the sailaway & Pirate party less crowded than when I was on the Wonder. Unfortunately,we did encounter a few rude people during the pirate party,but we didn't sweat it. We decided to watch the fireworks from our verandah instead of going back on deck 12 and it was lovely. At CC I was surprised that it wasn't as crowded as expected.
We did rebook a dummy date,but won't book a 3-night again as it's way too short.Besides... The kids are getting older and I think they can handle longer than 4-day cruise now :)

My wife and I were on the 1/29 cruise and were both disapointed with the Dream. We have cruised with disney several times on the Wonder and Magic.
We both agree the food and the service were excellent this trip. The shows were what we have come to expect from disney. Always love Castaway Cay and were not disapointed, perfect day.

The ship itself is to large. The adult area seemed to be an afterthought when it was designed, small pool and no stage for entertainment.
Dining areas were unimpresive. Much prefer the Animators on Wonder and Magic. All the dining rooms reminded me of eating at a high school cafeteria, very loud.

Overall not giving up Disney just the Dream.

Here is deck 11 during the Sail Away -

395928_10150624301626411_509141410_11694078_1837313769_n.jpg

And here is where we watched it from on deck 12 -

419195_10150624302076411_509141410_11694082_512050307_n.jpg

Yes, it's going to be crowded. There are 4,000 people onboard. Any time everyone needs or wants to be in the same place, it will be uncomfortable. But, aside from trying to get back up after the muster drill, I find it can be easily avoided.

:scared1::hippie::eek::scared1::hippie::eek:

I don't know if this has been said but I could never do a 3 day cruise! We have done the 10 day Med and 8 day MR...we also try to sail on low 'kids' months :) September or early May....the longer cruises people aren't trying to 'pack it all in' in just a few days or make the most of a ship, things are much more laid back...the port days are awesome b/c if you plan your day correctly the pool can be yours and just one or two other families! :) We just do not do the pools when they're crazy busy! With the longer cruises I do not see it as crazy as I've seen and heard on the shorter ones!! :) So, maybe when they're a bit older and you're ready to try again, give a longer cruise a shot! :) We were commando DW travelers...the kids were so reticent to try a cruise..they gave us the 'just once' and then back to DW! Well, we're going on our 3rd cruise this September and they say, "Maybe we'll do DW after we've been on all the boats." They love it!! But they also love sailing the slower time ships....we did the same for DW..always traveled the slow months..much more enjoyable! :)

the stairs were crowded like that after any show or getting on and off for cast away.....

I deleted my comment after realizing that you went right before or exactly when the gangway opened,but when we got off & got on CC... There were no lines and we walked right off/on. Like I said in my previous post though: we waited about an hour and a half after they cleared everyone to get off. I also went to the first shows and walk back up to our stateroom on deck 9 to change for dinnner and never encountered such crowd in the stairs. So maybe the time difference is where our differences lay???

Hey there, I am the OP's husband and I just wanted to say I endorse her message.

I think we did expect some crowds, but it was more the rude and unsupervised children. I, at one point, feared that we would be stuck in a Children of the Corn-esque takeover at sea. These kids OWNED the boat and we were powerless against their screams and obliviousness to the world around them. I remarked, several times, that I felt I was trapped on the boat Pinocchio takes over to Paradise Island. It was THAT insane. I even talked with one of the cast members working at the Mickey slide as I watched her have to tell EVERY SINGLE KID, more than once, to not go down on their stomach. Or backwards. Or with someone else. Or before the green light goes off. I mean, seriously, where ARE your parents right now?

I will say, I did see one parent take it into his own hands. As we were getting off the boat to go to Castaway Cay, the father in front of my punched his son in the head and called him stupid. So, we were exposed to some true winners.

And yes...we knew the pools would be crowded. But come on. You couldn't even enter the pool without rubbing shoulders with someone else. It was like Caddy Day at Bushwood.

We know lines. We go to Disney quite a bit. But, I guess, when we got on an island we didn't expect a theme park. We expected, you know, an island. I guess we should have done more research, but I can't imagine someone doing more research than my wife does on these sorts of things. And regardless, even if we "expect it," does that really make it more enjoyable?

In the end, we DID have fun. The days at Disney were, of course, amazing. And we liked many things about the cruise - the food, our stateroom, hanging on the verandah and looking out at the ocean, the amount of fun our kids had at the Kids Club, the quiet time we did get when they were at the Kids Club and Believe was really a great show (yeah, I teared up. Whatevs.) I just think that, for us, Disney World is much more enjoyable. There are crowds, but there are ways to escape them while still not having to go back to your hotel room or sequester your kids.

I am with you hun. Fight the power.

I think we did expect some crowds, but it was more the rude and unsupervised children. I, at one point, feared that we would be stuck in a Children of the Corn-esque takeover at sea

Haha!!! This had me rolling over as you are so right,lol :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter