Just Back From a Split Stay -- Grand Floridian and Polynesian -- My Thoughts on Both!

Yay! I've been waiting for the Poly review! Merry Christmas indeed! Thanks for such a great review! Definitely made up my mind to stay there next October!! We are going to do club level, any suggestions of a particular place to be?

Hope your son's stomach bug ends quickly! The flu has been running rampant here in southeastern NC! Merry Christmas!

Thank you for sharing your reviews and photos of both resorts. My DH loves the Polynesian and I love the GF. But we are both huge fans of WL, too! I do like the transportation options at WL a bit better, although the Polynesian is usually spot on!

We will be in WDW next Christmas at WL, but plan to resort hop more than go to parks and just soak in the beautiful decor. Your pics of the gingerbread house at the GF has me very excited!

Thank you, again!

You're welcome! :goodvibes Glad you enjoyed!

We've never tried the WL. I meant to get over there to check out their Christmas decorations, but never made it. We did however get to all the Epcot resorts to check their decor out. Very nice! You'll have a great trip next year! :santa:

Yay! I've been waiting for the Poly review! Merry Christmas indeed! Thanks for such a great review! Definitely made up my mind to stay there next October!! We are going to do club level, any suggestions of a particular place to be?

Hope your son's stomach bug ends quickly! The flu has been running rampant here in southeastern NC! Merry Christmas!

You're welcome, glad it was helpful! :)

Will you be on the lagoon side or garden view in CL? You have to be careful with the garden view side, some of them are completely blocked by trees. We were lucky and had a great view when we stayed there, but the next 2 rooms to our left had to be blocked by trees. I'll have to look up the room # for you.

Thanks, I hope so too. And hopefully none of the rest of us will get it.

Merry Christmas to you too! :santa:

Entrance at night ~

DisneyDecember2012460_zps9be4196a.jpg

Looking across the lagoon at the castle ~

DisneyDecember2012467_zpsdd1dbc21.jpg

From the beach looking into the CL lounge ~

DisneyDecember2012468_zps555a4351.jpg

Mama duck and her babies ~

DisneyDecember2012470_zps944cbabd.jpg

DisneyDecember2012471_zps061575ed.jpg

Kona breakfast ~

DisneyDecember2012473_zps53134d33.jpg

DisneyDecember2012476_zps73b3bcc6.jpg

DisneyDecember2012477_zps1414895b.jpg

DisneyDecember2012478_zpsb1d92e5b.jpg

DisneyDecember2012479_zps56ac9197.jpg

Kona Island ~

DisneyDecember2012481_zps9ac724d7.jpg

The boys pin trading by the gift shop (this was probably the only CM we encountered at the Poly who wasn't exactly overly friendly) ~

DisneyDecember2012485_zpsfb8f1ec8.jpg

DisneyDecember2012486_zpsb9e63c6b.jpg

Looking over at the DVC construction ~

DisneyDecember2012489_zps1ba52815.jpg

DisneyDecember2012492_zps8de61e9a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012493_zps898d47e2.jpg

DisneyDecember2012491_zpsf6cba021.jpg

Using the stairs on the Hawaii side of the Samoa building, showing how close our room was ~

DisneyDecember2012635_zps4f0d93be.jpg

DisneyDecember2012634_zps71000a25.jpg

DisneyDecember2012636_zps2a8755fd.jpg

Merry Christmas Shelly!!!!!

Thanks for more Poly pictures! Can't wait to be there in a couple of days. I'm just about all packed. Between getting ready for Christmas Eve and today, I have barely had any time to pack! Your pictures are getting me so excited.

Hopefully I will check in tomorrow, as well as when I'm there, if not though, talk to you soon!

How is DS13 feeling?

Merry Christmas Shelly!!!!!

Thanks for more Poly pictures! Can't wait to be there in a couple of days. I'm just about all packed. Between getting ready for Christmas Eve and today, I have barely had any time to pack! Your pictures are getting me so excited.

Hopefully I will check in tomorrow, as well as when I'm there, if not though, talk to you soon!

How is DS13 feeling?

Thanks Lauren! :santa: I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. How is your friend doing?

DS13 is just fine now! And so far none of the rest of us have gotten it...

Well if I don't talk to you before then, have an awesome and safe trip!!pixiedust: Check in if you can! ::yes::

Hope your DS is feeling better! What an awful day to be sick.:(

I am recuperating today. I am forcing myself to do some laundry... That is it! (The cleaning lady comes tomorrow woohoo!!!)

A few pics on the walk over to the TTC ~

DisneyDecember2012638_zps5ff742e7.jpg

DisneyDecember2012639_zps1fd49223.jpg

Hallway in the Samoa building ~

DisneyDecember2012844_zpsc4482d62.jpg

Captain Cook's ~

DisneyDecember2012847_zps303b8de3.jpg

DisneyDecember2012848_zpsd4fd784c.jpg

DisneyDecember2012849_zps06b45699.jpg

DisneyDecember2012850_zpsb5c5913b.jpg

DisneyDecember2012863_zps384877e2.jpg

I just love the chocolate chip croissants :lovestruc ~

DisneyDecember2012864_zps800c86f8.jpg

BouTiki ~

DisneyDecember2012851_zpsedafcdb9.jpg

DisneyDecember2012852_zpsc3099d2a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012853_zps44bdb342.jpg

DisneyDecember2012854_zps3f36f32a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012855_zps3377f541.jpg

DisneyDecember2012856_zps4bcb6425.jpg

Outside the front entrance at night ~

DisneyDecember2012857_zpsbb2f6839.jpg

DisneyDecember2012858_zpsd4f4174b.jpg

DisneyDecember2012859_zps626a3ae6.jpg

Hope your DS is feeling better! What an awful day to be sick.:(

I am recuperating today. I am forcing myself to do some laundry... That is it! (The cleaning lady comes tomorrow woohoo!!!)

He is much better, thanks!

We're not doing much of anything today. Just watching it snow...

Well, hello there, Shelly! :wave2: Better late than never, I guess! :blush:

Thanks for the heads up! ;) :laughing:

First of all, I hope you had a Merry Christmas......in spite of everything you had going on. I assumed your family plans were cancelled when you said your DS had the stomach flu. Maybe y'all can have a little post-Christmas get-together when everyone is well. You sure don't want to take chances with your step-mom's immune system. I'm glad DS13 is feeling better now. And hoping, of course, that no one else gets it!

Did you get the snow that was forecast? We had the strangest Christmas weather I can ever remember. They had been saying for days that we were going to get some pretty bad storms. But how many times do they get it right that far in advance? :rolleyes2 Just like checking the Disney forecast before a trip - hardly ever! But this time they were very accurate. It was hot - not Christmas-like at all. And then the most ominous clouds started rolling in, and the beep-beep-beep tornado warnings on TV, followed by strong winds and thunderstorms. :scared1: Luckily, no tornadoes hit near us, but there were many pretty close by and in other southern states.

Now, for your reviews. As usual, great descriptions and pictures. :thumbsup2That is an awful lot of construction going on at the GF. :upsidedow You will do a lot of people good if they know in advance what they are in store for. For me, I would want to change resorts if I had enough advance warning. That's just too much going on that takes away from the atmosphere. Your room and location looked really nice, though. And how neat being next door to Jodi and fam!

It really is a shame about the people who don't know when to say when. :sad2: When anything is free (well, not FREE free, but included) I think some people just go hog-wild and know no limits. You're right, Disney needs to have some way to cut them off when they can't seem to control themselves.

I love your Poly pics! I'm glad that was where the longest part of your stay was. Your room and view look great, too. The pin-trading CM does look a little disinterested. :laughing:

Looking forward to more!

Well, hello there, Shelly! :wave2: Better late than never, I guess! :blush:

Thanks for the heads up! ;) :laughing:

First of all, I hope you had a Merry Christmas......in spite of everything you had going on. I assumed your family plans were cancelled when you said your DS had the stomach flu. Maybe y'all can have a little post-Christmas get-together when everyone is well. You sure don't want to take chances with your step-mom's immune system. I'm glad DS13 is feeling better now. And hoping, of course, that no one else gets it!

Did you get the snow that was forecast? We had the strangest Christmas weather I can ever remember. They had been saying for days that we were going to get some pretty bad storms. But how many times do they get it right that far in advance? :rolleyes2 Just like checking the Disney forecast before a trip - hardly ever! But this time they were very accurate. It was hot - not Christmas-like at all. And then the most ominous clouds started rolling in, and the beep-beep-beep tornado warnings on TV, followed by strong winds and thunderstorms. :scared1: Luckily, no tornadoes hit near us, but there were many pretty close by and in other southern states.

Now, for your reviews. As usual, great descriptions and pictures. :thumbsup2That is an awful lot of construction going on at the GF. :upsidedow You will do a lot of people good if they know in advance what they are in store for. For me, I would want to change resorts if I had enough advance warning. That's just too much going on that takes away from the atmosphere. Your room and location looked really nice, though. And how neat being next door to Jodi and fam!

It really is a shame about the people who don't know when to say when. :sad2: When anything is free (well, not FREE free, but included) I think some people just go hog-wild and know no limits. You're right, Disney needs to have some way to cut them off when they can't seem to control themselves.

I love your Poly pics! I'm glad that was where the longest part of your stay was. Your room and view look great, too. The pin-trading CM does look a little disinterested. :laughing:

Looking forward to more!

Hey there stranger, about time you stopped by!! ;) :rotfl:

Well my step-mom ended up in the hospital yesterday, is still there actually. So it hasn't exactly been a great Christmas for our family. Hopefully she will get out of the hospital soon and we can all get together.

Well as of this morning we didn't have any snow. They forecasted it to start around 5-6am and be extremely bad with almost no visibility by 9-10am. It actually started around 11am and is now to the point where it is really bad. I can barely see the house across the street. And DH is at work, about 30 miles from here. :sad2:

Glad you didn't get any tornadoes! I saw on the news that TX did.

Glad you are enjoying the reviews! You know me, I just like to tell it like I see it! :rotfl: No, I really did enjoy my time at the GF, but like you said - so glad the longer part of our stay was at the Poly!

I know, you are so right. When something is free/included people just go hog wild. It's a shame.

Lots more Poly pics to share. And I hope to start a TR soon! :)

This is from the stairs on the Hawaii side of the Samoa building, looking at the work on the other side of Samoa...

DisneyDecember20121016_zps5b4d2eaf.jpg

DisneyDecember20121173_zpsd4f86538.jpg

Looking at the back side of Samoa (the quiet pool side) ~

DisneyDecember20121054_zps226023b0.jpg

DisneyDecember20121221_zpsf2f34bcc.jpg

Looks like it's the same mess at the Niue building ~

DisneyDecember20121222_zps9561431f.jpg

Peaking in through the fence ~

DisneyDecember20121220_zps3d1e6b7a.jpg

Not sure exactly what they are doing in there...

Panoramic shots from our balcony ~

DisneyDecember20121024_zps8e0b356d.jpg

DisneyDecember20121025_zps845f6c63.jpg

Almost every evening there was some sort of holiday entertainment in the lobby. One night it was these guys ~

DisneyDecember20121095_zps3a26b1af.jpg

Electric Water Pageant from the Poly beach ~

DisneyDecember20121097_zpsb5d15885.jpg

DisneyDecember20121098_zps1eb388f4.jpg

DisneyDecember20121099_zps9add2866.jpg

DisneyDecember20121100_zpscaa430ad.jpg

DisneyDecember20121101_zps4fcac98e.jpg

Hi. Just wanted to say I'm loving your report. I'm dying to stay at Poly, but I can't make myself spend the money. You are helping convince me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter