Just Back From a Split Stay -- Grand Floridian and Polynesian -- My Thoughts on Both!

Well, Shelly, I finally made it over to your resort reviews!:cool1: I've been crazy getting ready for Christmas- and tonight we went to see Christmas lights!

Thank you for your GF review- GF has been nearly number one for us until we stayed there in November. The Poly in July spoiled us! I think it was all of the construction that made us not enjoy the GF as much as in the past. Trust me, we still love it, but I don't think we will be back until all of the construction is completed. It just put too much of a damper on the experience overall. It is still most definitely a gorgeous resort, and we can't wait to try it again once all of the construction is over with.

Can't wait for more pictures and for your thoughts on the Poly!

And congrats on your new ticker, Jodi!

I'm enjoying your review and photos! I'm a longtime fan of both the GF and the Poly.

You've confirmed my fears that with the courtyard pool walled off (and no beach access :sad1:) , there will be a different atmosphere at the GF - but the pros are still worth the cons, for me.

Bus to DTD has always been the worst. On the bright side, GF is pretty convenient to the MK ;)

Looking fwd to more photos!

Well, Shelly, I finally made it over to your resort reviews!:cool1: I've been crazy getting ready for Christmas- and tonight we went to see Christmas lights!

Thank you for your GF review- GF has been nearly number one for us until we stayed there in November. The Poly in July spoiled us! I think it was all of the construction that made us not enjoy the GF as much as in the past. Trust me, we still love it, but I don't think we will be back until all of the construction is completed. It just put too much of a damper on the experience overall. It is still most definitely a gorgeous resort, and we can't wait to try it again once all of the construction is over with.

Can't wait for more pictures and for your thoughts on the Poly!

And congrats on your new ticker, Jodi!

So glad you are here Lauren! :)

I thought you might not have been too pleased with the GF last time, but you were too nice to say anything! Yeah, I would wait until all the construction is done before staying there again. And then you can head back and see what you think! :wizard:

More pics to come!

I'm enjoying your review and photos! I'm a longtime fan of both the GF and the Poly.

You've confirmed my fears that with the courtyard pool walled off (and no beach access :sad1:) , there will be a different atmosphere at the GF - but the pros are still worth the cons, for me.

Bus to DTD has always been the worst. On the bright side, GF is pretty convenient to the MK ;)

Looking fwd to more photos!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Yes, it's definitely a different feel there now. Just hoping that wonderful atmosphere that the GF used to be comes back!

I'm not sure what was worse this time - the trip to/from AK or DTD....The AK trip has stops at BB on the way there and the way back. Took forever. :faint: At least with DTD, TL was closed so no stop there this time! Both were ridiculously long trips with too many resorts/people crammed on the bus.

But yes, it is pretty convenient to MK! ::yes::

Entrance ~

DisneyDecember2012108_zps0d163620.jpg

Lobby ~

DisneyDecember2012109_zpse5f0e1fc.jpg

Sugarloaf CL offerings (Twilight Refreshers 5-7) ~

DisneyDecember2012110_zps8bed9a7a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012111_zps6db650e4.jpg

DisneyDecember2012112_zpsa6d0aa56.jpg

DisneyDecember2012113_zps02a03f3b.jpg

DisneyDecember2012114_zps62c2d701.jpg

From the third floor by the elevators looking down at the lounge ~

DisneyDecember2012136_zpse3f0fe0a.jpg

Video games, movies, and pin trading outside of the courtyard pool construction walls ~

DisneyDecember2012138_zpsbf5bbe77.jpg

DisneyDecember2012139_zps5ea19689.jpg

Lobby and Gingerbread House ~

DisneyDecember2012144_zpsf4d2b67a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012143_zps31c2ce72.jpg

DisneyDecember2012142_zps8cd92ff1.jpg

DisneyDecember2012141_zps1309b97c.jpg

DisneyDecember2012140_zps47de366c.jpg

Love GF RPC and we only stay there if we can get it. Stayed Sugar Loaf once and did not enjoy it very much. The CMs at RPC were much nicer.
Poly is our least favorite WDW resort.
The nice thing about WDW is there are so many resorts and everyone can find their favorites.

Love GF RPC and we only stay there if we can get it. Stayed Sugar Loaf once and did not enjoy it very much. The CMs at RPC were much nicer.
Poly is our least favorite WDW resort.
The nice thing about WDW is there are so many resorts and everyone can find their favorites.

We thought all the CM's at Sugarloaf were really nice. :goodvibes Just didn't care for the set up of things I guess. And we were spoiled by the awesome views from the Poly lounge!

Wow I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that the Poly is their least favorite before!! :upsidedow Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

You are right -- so many WDW resorts to choose from, certainly something for everyone! ::yes::

Heavenly :cloud9: Thank you so much!
(and sorry about those looong bus rides :crowded:)

Glad you are enjoying the pics! :)

Beach Pool and Alice in Wonderland water playset at night ~

DisneyDecember2012148_zpsa24b79f7.jpg

DisneyDecember2012149_zps3c56e717.jpg

DisneyDecember2012150_zpsf62165c6.jpg

DisneyDecember2012147_zpsbe4048e6.jpg

From the marina side of the Sugarloaf building looking up at our room. Ours is on the third floor, right in the center with the lights on. JoBird and family were in the room to the right of us.

DisneyDecember2012153_zps5f9bcaf7.jpg

More pics at night ~

DisneyDecember2012157_zps34307e9d.jpg

DisneyDecember2012154_zps29fef4f2.jpg

DisneyDecember2012155_zpsbaddabce.jpg

DisneyDecember2012156_zps361dd2de.jpg

Sugarloaf CL Offerings, Cordials and Desserts (8-10pm) ~

DisneyDecember2012161_zpse21a6db9.jpg

DisneyDecember2012162_zps6b4d8235.jpg

DisneyDecember2012163_zps4b17a1ab.jpg

DisneyDecember2012164_zpsbe63ef1a.jpg

More lobby pics (from the second floor) ~

DisneyDecember2012170_zpsb3e2f56a.jpg

DisneyDecember2012171_zpsa8e3c235.jpg

Mizner's ~

DisneyDecember2012172_zps4541d006.jpg

DisneyDecember2012173_zpsfe6cf290.jpg

DisneyDecember2012174_zpsc93ba178.jpg

From the second floor balcony of the main building ~

DisneyDecember2012175_zps459e7514.jpg

DisneyDecember2012177_zps1be709b8.jpg

DisneyDecember2012178_zpsa00415e7.jpg

Second floor looking down at the Gingerbread House ~

DisneyDecember2012179_zpsb2f75824.jpg

Ah, this was just what I needed to escape from the Christmas madness, Shelly's trip report. :) Welcome back!

I really enjoyed your GF pics. We stayed there last August and enjoyed it so much. I don't know what we would have done without Gasparilla, though, as it was open during our stay and we went there quite a few times. The kiddie pool area was still under construction at the time. I know we'll probably never get to stay at GF again ($$$), but I'll always have fond memories of it. :cloud9:

I also love the Poly very much. We stayed there 4x and it's one of our nostalgic favorites, especially at Christmas with all the Hawaiian Christmas carols. I know my grandson would love to stay there again.

Can't wait to hear more. :)
Joanne

I just wanted to say that I made it here and I'm enjoying looking at all the photos, even if I'll probably never stay at GF.

Great report Shelly! Seeing all the pix of the GF brings back such good memories. I had no idea they made a separate play area for the Alice splash thing. I thought it was put at the edge of the pool lol! Thank goodness that's not the case.
I can't believe how much is built for the DVC. We haven't been over there since we stayed at the Poly in 2011.
I thought the CL offerings were better there (Yum!) than the BC.

I don't know how I existed without knowing about this website! Reading these reviews is SO amazingly helpful! Thank you for your detailed review! Anxiously waiting to here about the Polynesian since that is where my heart is set on staying next October!

Thanks for your review. We've stayed at both the GF and Poly and although we've had great stays at the GF, the Poly is still our favorite. Having stayed both SL and RPC, I love RPC but didn't care for SL. I don't like how the lounge is located right inside the lobby as you walk in and it was always very chaotic during our stay. I think SL is in a great location as it's located right next to the courtyard pool and is close to Gasparilla's and the main building, but if we stayed at the GF again and RPC wasn't available, I would opt for a GV room over SL again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter