just back from 10 nights at AKL - mixed reviews :/

We really love AKL. This will be our third stay and we've never had an issue before. In fact, they've always gone above and beyond. But, we haven't stayed there since 2010, so things could have changed.
As you can see from my siggy, all of our stays have been since your last stay ;)

I don't mean to suggest that these things can't happen - they do and it's not okay - I'm just sharing our experience. I would be so sad to have a bad stay - AKL is our other home <3

Hi All,
Just back from 10 nights at AKL - Jambo House, pool view room (3452 to be exact!). While we still love AKL and will likely return, we were a bit disappointed in a few things this time around. Number 1 was the poor housekeeping we had during our stay. I can say with certainty that our sheets were never changed once in the 10 nights we were there. The reason I know for sure was my daughter had a bit of bloody nose the first morning we woke up. There was a tiny little drop of blood (which I spot cleaned with detergent and water) but it left a tiny stain on the sheet. It was still there on our last night so I know they never changed the sheets. We had a party of FOUR staying in the room and each day they would leave 3 facecloths and 2 hand towels. Don't they know how many people are staying in a room?? Then we ran out of toilet paper on two separate occasions. This should never happen as they should always replace the extra roll so people never run out. Also, they frequently did not replace coffee cups of glasses with clean ones every day.
And not that I'm expecting towel animals or anything, but when I pay for a deluxe resort experience, I do expect impeccable housekeeping. I've had much better in cheaper chain hotels. This was really disappointing and hopefully it was just a housekeeper who was new.
Number 2 was the valet services at the front entrance. I remember when the AKL first opened, the valet staff were fabulous and I don't think I had to open a car door once during those early trips. This time, we would frequently pull up and there were no valet staff in site. When they were there, they were very nice and helpful but they simply were not around a lot of the times. Again, I feel that in a deluxe resort, the valet staff should have a constant presence when you pull up in your car. Contrast this to the Grand Floridian where we went for dinner one night and there were valet staff immediately there to welcome you and open the door. It's a little thing but it did use to be much better.
Finally, I was a little disappointed in the noises around the resort that detracted from the illusion of being out in an African Savanna. I frequently heard leaf blowers, the "beep, beep, beep" of trucks backing up somewhere at the resort, saw small trucks riding through the savannah. While I realize that maintenance has to happen around the resort, it just seemed more noticeable and frequent this trip.
Here's hoping this was just one of those trips and that next time it will be much better. I will be very sad to see AKL slip to sub par guest services. I am interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences at AKL recently.

This isn't a criticism even though it might sound like it. You said you were there 10 nights. Did you call housekeeping or complain to a manager? I'm certainly not criticizing you if you didn't. Some people do not like to do this, and it isn't fair for you to have to with the money you paid for your stay. However, by day 5 or so of not getting enough towels, clean cups, etc, I would have to speak up to remedy the situation for the rest of my stay.

I've never stayed at AKL. Just CSR.

Hi All,
Just back from 10 nights at AKL - Jambo House, pool view room (3452 to be exact!). While we still love AKL and will likely return, we were a bit disappointed in a few things this time around. Number 1 was the poor housekeeping we had during our stay. I can say with certainty that our sheets were never changed once in the 10 nights we were there. The reason I know for sure was my daughter had a bit of bloody nose the first morning we woke up. There was a tiny little drop of blood (which I spot cleaned with detergent and water) but it left a tiny stain on the sheet. It was still there on our last night so I know they never changed the sheets. We had a party of FOUR staying in the room and each day they would leave 3 facecloths and 2 hand towels. Don't they know how many people are staying in a room?? Then we ran out of toilet paper on two separate occasions. This should never happen as they should always replace the extra roll so people never run out. Also, they frequently did not replace coffee cups of glasses with clean ones every day.
And not that I'm expecting towel animals or anything, but when I pay for a deluxe resort experience, I do expect impeccable housekeeping. I've had much better in cheaper chain hotels. This was really disappointing and hopefully it was just a housekeeper who was new.
Number 2 was the valet services at the front entrance. I remember when the AKL first opened, the valet staff were fabulous and I don't think I had to open a car door once during those early trips. This time, we would frequently pull up and there were no valet staff in site. When they were there, they were very nice and helpful but they simply were not around a lot of the times. Again, I feel that in a deluxe resort, the valet staff should have a constant presence when you pull up in your car. Contrast this to the Grand Floridian where we went for dinner one night and there were valet staff immediately there to welcome you and open the door. It's a little thing but it did use to be much better.
Finally, I was a little disappointed in the noises around the resort that detracted from the illusion of being out in an African Savanna. I frequently heard leaf blowers, the "beep, beep, beep" of trucks backing up somewhere at the resort, saw small trucks riding through the savannah. While I realize that maintenance has to happen around the resort, it just seemed more noticeable and frequent this trip.
Here's hoping this was just one of those trips and that next time it will be much better. I will be very sad to see AKL slip to sub par guest services. I am interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences at AKL recently.

Totally agree! They can't fix what they aren't aware of! We did 8 nights at Kidani five years ago and it was fabulous....but we've always had fabulous Housekeeping! We just got back from Fort Wilderness in March and I didn't realize that they don't do bath gel or lotion at a moderate, and of course, I didn't pack any. So anyway, I left a note asking Mousekeeping if they could possibly get me any, each day, they made sure I had a refill of all of the toiletries INCLUDING lotion and bath gel - which isn't the standard at a moderate! I'm never sure if this is because we always leave a nice tip each day or because all things are magical at Disney :-)

I don't understand the comment about moderates not leaving toiletries? We always stay at moderate resorts (mostly POR) and always have shampoo, conditioner, and lotion left every day. We have gone to WDW yearly for quite a while and never had no toiletries while there.
Our most recent visit was last February.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the valet parking people are not Disney employees. I think an outside company provides them.

You're absolutely correct.

And the ironic part about the first poster stating they had wonderful service with the Grand's valet service is I had a horrible experience with them back in December. :rolleyes1 Sometimes even the flagship resort can disappoint.

I'm sorry the sheets weren't changed as often as you'd liked and there weren't as many towels available, but you can always call down to housekeeping or go to the front desk and make these requests. You certainly don't have to wait until your 10 day trip is over to make an online complaint.

I personally think Animal Kingdom has the best cast members, much friendlier than those working at the Grand or Polynesian. The only reason I don't stay there more often is because it's a little isolated and we're becoming an Epcot family as my children get older.

I don't understand the comment about moderates not leaving toiletries? We always stay at moderate resorts (mostly POR) and always have shampoo, conditioner, and lotion left every day. We have gone to WDW yearly for quite a while and never had no toiletries while there.

Stayed CSR last time. I still have some of the lotion in little bottles.

I didn't say they didn't leave toiletries, I said they didn't leave bath gel or lotion. We had shampoo, conditioner, bar soap (and we did have lotion, I was remembering that part incorrectly.) HOWEVER, at a moderate, you do NOT get bath gel, you get bar soap. I left a note each day and they brought some to me everyday anyway. Regardless, it was a compliment to Mousekeeping that they brought us what they weren't required to do! :-)

I didn't say they didn't leave toiletries, I said they didn't leave bath gel or lotion. We had shampoo, conditioner, bar soap (and we did have lotion, I was remembering that part incorrectly.) HOWEVER, at a moderate, you do NOT get bath gel, you get bar soap. I left a note each day and they brought some to me everyday anyway. Regardless, it was a compliment to Mousekeeping that they brought us what they weren't required to do! :-)

Oh, you are right about the bath gel. I always bring my favorite due to skin sensitivity issues. I wondered why you would say no toiletries, thanks for clearing that up:)

We got both bath gel and lotion. Is this a new change?

It's not just moderates. A lot of times at WL you don't get the bath gel either. I left a note requesting it during our last stay and got three bottles of that and all other toiletries :) We had a really amazing housekeeper for the week.

We got both bath gel and lotion. Is this a new change?

You know, I really don't know. All I know is that I thought they always left bath gel and lotion in the hotels (we usually stay at either deluxe or moderate). Then in March we stayed at FW and there was not bath gel in the shower, I thought no lotion, but I requested it each day and they left it. On another group I'm on, someone copied and pasted what you receive in each level and at moderate, it is shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap.....no bath gel or lotion. However, I never remember staying anywhere that we didn't get them before, so I honestly don't know the answer to this. I wonder if it's kind of just a fluke thing? When we stayed at PORS, we had bath gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. So who knows....I just know on our last visit, I had to ask for it! And when I did, they brought it without any issues. I'm sure someone else will chime in to tell me I'm wrong, but I can only speak to the experiences I've had :-)

I would hope that part of the insane lodging costs I am paying would be a factor in housekeeping. Good thing to know to not expect Deluxe service at a deluxe resort...

I'm pretty chaotic at home; part of vacation for me is NOT cleaning but having everything pristine regardless.
I felt terrible when my DD spilled juice on a sheet but it prompted a linen change! :D

I am pretty sure if I found anything unsatisfactory with the housekeeping that I would be going right to the front desk immediately. But I am pretty laid-back - give me lots of towels and toiletries, vacuum and recycle, make a towel animal for my child, it's all good.

I set up everything I want dealt with in categories with a note anyway - "please take these linens (they're in a pile), please give us new bedding, can we have TWO shower mats please, please recycle (giant box)and throw out trash (small bag)."

You know, I really don't know. All I know is that I thought they always left bath gel and lotion in the hotels (we usually stay at either deluxe or moderate). Then in March we stayed at FW and there was not bath gel in the shower, I thought no lotion, but I requested it each day and they left it. On another group I'm on, someone copied and pasted what you receive in each level and at moderate, it is shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap.....no bath gel or lotion. However, I never remember staying anywhere that we didn't get them before, so I honestly don't know the answer to this. I wonder if it's kind of just a fluke thing? When we stayed at PORS, we had bath gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. So who knows....I just know on our last visit, I had to ask for it! And when I did, they brought it without any issues. I'm sure someone else will chime in to tell me I'm wrong, but I can only speak to the experiences I've had :-)

Thanks. I've only stayed onsite the one time. CSR in 2014. Booked for ASMu Nov. I was shocked there wasn't a coffee pot. Lol. I'll be bringing one of those 4 cup kind myself. Lol. If mods don't get lotion what do values get? Soap on a rope? Lol.

Sorry that happened, but thanks for sharing. Now adding a roll of TP to my bag I don't want to have to go to the lobby!! Frankly I don't care much about housekeeping during our stay bc it's our mess, but I sure as heck wNt it cleaned from the previous guests. Black hairs in the tub, oh gross!

Thanks. I've only stayed onsite the one time. CSR in 2014. Booked for ASMu Nov. I was shocked there wasn't a coffee pot. Lol. I'll be bringing one of those 4 cup kind myself. Lol. If mods don't get lotion what do values get? Soap on a rope? Lol.

I'm actually at sports now....you get a shampoo/conditioner combo , a bar of bath soap and a bar of face soap. NO LOTION, NO BATH GEL and shampoo and conditioner are a mix, not two separate bottles.

Moderates you get a separate shampoo and condition, shower gel, and bar soap

Deluxe gets you all of the above plus lotion.

(Of course this can all be hit or miss, but this is the policy)

I'm actually at sports now....you get a shampoo/conditioner combo , a bar of bath soap and a bar of face soap. NO LOTION, NO BATH GEL and shampoo and conditioner are a mix, not two separate bottles.

Moderates you get a separate shampoo and condition, shower gel, and bar soap

Deluxe gets you all of the above plus lotion.

(Of course this can all be hit or miss, but this is the policy)
We didn't get shower gel at POR 2 years ago, just bar soap.

For what it's worth, we just got back from AKL on Sunday and I couldn't tell you if the sheets were ever changed or not. The beds were remade daily and smelled clean and fresh, so that was all that was important. My only annoyance is that our bar soap dish disappeared on Day 3 and never came back. They just nicely folded a hand towel and put the soap on that. I didn't really care, it was just odd.

We didn't get shower gel at POR 2 years ago, just bar soap.

For what it's worth, we just got back from AKL on Sunday and I couldn't tell you if the sheets were ever changed or not. The beds were remade daily and smelled clean and fresh, so that was all that was important. My only annoyance is that our bar soap dish disappeared on Day 3 and never came back. They just nicely folded a hand towel and put the soap on that. I didn't really care, it was just odd.

We actually stayed at the Fort in March and didn't get shower gel either, I had to ask for it. Must be all hit or miss! This was just what I was told when I asked because I was shocked we had a shampoo/conditioner combo, I didn't realize that was even an option! And we are at Sports this week and our sheets haven't been changed, but they've been made each day. But, I'm still at WDW...so that good enough for me :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter