Just back, and stunned by prices

That is the point. The room may cost four times as much, but you are making more money than you did in 1980.
The Poly might be more money right at this moment than it was back then, but it's still possible to get a room at WDW that is priced in the mid-$80s. The All-Star resorts have 2012 rates for value season of $84 for weekdays. So, my parents paid $80-some back in the day and it's possible to go today and pay $80-some. Different "level" of hotel in today's standards, it's true, but I guarantee you that the amenities of the Polynesian back then were not even close to what they are today.

So talking about a guy making $30,000 and paying $80ish dollars a night then vs. a guy making $120,000 and still has the opportunity to pay $80ish now doesn't do much for me in the "it's so expensive" argument.

The Poly might be more money right at this moment than it was back then, but it's still possible to get a room at WDW that is priced in the mid-$80s. The All-Star resorts have 2012 rates for value season of $84 for weekdays. So, my parents paid $80-some back in the day and it's possible to go today and pay $80-some. Different "level" of hotel in today's standards, it's true, but I guarantee you that the amenities of the Polynesian back then were not even close to what they are today.

So talking about a guy making $30,000 and paying $80ish dollars a night then vs. a guy making $120,000 and still has the opportunity to pay $80ish now doesn't do much for me in the "it's so expensive" argument.

You can't compare the Poly (a monorail resort) to a value resort. Not even close.

You can't compare the Poly (a monorail resort) to a value resort. Not even close.

You could probably compare the early 80's Poly with a Value today. We stayed at the Poly for our first trip in 1984. It's not like there were a lot of options. It was either the Poly, the Contemporary (which actually WAS contemporary at the time) and Fort Wilderness. It was expensive for the time, but as my dad traveled all the time we generally stayed at Marriotts up until then (on free nights). The Poly of the mid-80's was not nearly as nice as it is now. It was a bit run down, a little dirty, and a little lacking on service. Given what they were paying, my parents expected to get an experience similar to a Marriott, but it was definitely substandard.

In fact, I've never been able to convince my dad to stay onsite since! :rotfl:

My husband and I went for our yearly trip last September, and I too was sticker shocked. The price I saw for a simple Animal Kingdom Lodge t-shirt was $35. Really?

We really do get that Disney is a business, but from the moment we stepped foot on property, I felt like it was "let's stick it to em" everywhere we went. Actually, I felt penalized by Walt Disney World for being able to go to Walt Disney World! Their constant attempts at the upsale makes me think that they are desperate.

For those that want to save a few dollars and are not on the food plan and have a vehicle, the Walmart Supercenter on 535 is well worth a stop to get beverages, snacks, breakfast items, fruit.

You could probably compare the early 80's Poly with a Value today.

My point exactly - and the time I'm talking of is even earlier, the early-ish 70s. The "luxury" resorts weren't luxury until the lower tier hotels were built, they were just regular old hotels.

We were there in August 2011 for 2 weeks. I agree 100% about the sticker shock, but mine was more with the food. I couldn't not believe how much the food prices went up and the quality and quantity of the food went down. We are DVC members and go every year, but when we left there last year I was in no rush to get back.
I couldn't wait to get to Boardwalk and get the pizza, my brother and I rave over the pizza. When I got there and seen the size and price I couldn't believe my eyes I was so mad, I bought it anyway and then the anger set in.:mad: it was not good at all, the price, the size and now the taste. What is going on.
It was the same everywhere, the food is just going down, I do believe it is that damn dining plan.
Granted prices go up, I have no problem with that, but when the quality suffers with it, there is no excuse for it. It's just wrong.....
We are always planning our next trip before we even leave and we all are so upset when it's time to leave, but this time I didn't mind going home.
My whole family is planning a trip for Nov. 2012 it will be 15 months from our last trip, the longest break in between trips in 14 yrs.
Am I happy to go back, of course, my kids bug everyday and I love to see how happy they are. Am I looking forward to it? Not yet..I can't get into the planning phase, the food is killing me knowing how downward it's heading.
I just keep reminding the family members who haven't been there in the last year on how the prices are up and the food is down...
As far as the merchandise, we stopped buying long ago..The prices and quality of that is another whole aggravation. Like I said prices will go up, but don't make everything go down in taste, size and quality...:confused3

That is the point. The room may cost four times as much, but you are making more money than you did in 1980.

And you expect large increases over large periods of time.

I think it is the big increases over a relatively short time, particularly the past 5-10 years, that really trigger the sticker shock effect. The Poly has doubled in price in the last 7 years, the hard ticket parties have nearly doubled, the DDP has gone up by about 60%, etc. That's where Disney is straining our pocketbook - large price increases over a short time with a lack of corresponding increase in value (and in many cases, like dining and the hard ticket parties, an outright reduction in value along with the higher price).

And you expect large increases over large periods of time.

I think it is the big increases over a relatively short time, particularly the past 5-10 years, that really trigger the sticker shock effect. The Poly has doubled in price in the last 7 years, the hard ticket parties have nearly doubled, the DDP has gone up by about 60%, etc. That's where Disney is straining our pocketbook - large price increases over a short time with a lack of corresponding increase in value (and in many cases, like dining and the hard ticket parties, an outright reduction in value along with the higher price).

And those seven years haven't been a good seven years in terms of most people's incomes.

At the same time, I've seen a significant change in behavior from budget boarders in the past decade. Originally there was no dining plan, but it was the rare budget boarder that did more than a few sit down meals. We were the board that found condos on skyaction, ate pizza at CiCis and anyone who was a regular here could get you to WalMart to pick up groceries. There were a few people who posted here who owned DVC or stayed Deluxe or ate sit down every day, but we were the minority.

The dining plan seems to have accomplished its goal from Disney The Corporation's perspective - it convinced people who would have never dreamed of sitting down at Disney every day that food was an important part of vacationing and worth $60 a day per person to do.

This is why I have never bought a piece of clothing at DW. Never have and never will. My kids wore plenty of Disney themed clothes when they were younger, mostly bought on sale at the Disney Store.

We will still pick up a Christmas ornament when we go, or something that we will use as an ornament, but I will not be price gouged by their souvenirs.

I'm one of the Budget Boarders who still stays offsite, eats offsite, and even occasionally eats at the condo/hotel. Every time I've run prices for a Disney vacation, it's cheaper for us to rent a (nice) condo offsite and rent a car than it is to stay onsite. The value resorts are nice, I'm sure, but we can rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo for $50 a night. Even in value season, a value resort is over $80.

Even staying offsite, renting the cheapest car possible, and eating as cheaply as we can, Disney is still an expensive vacation for us. Airfare and park tickets add up. I enjoy planning a fun, cheap vacation, and my darling husband likes when I can get the most out of our money, but we still want to enjoy our vacation! In a few years, when we go with our little one, we'll likely be packing more lunches, eating more breakfast cereal in the condo, and probably will have counter service meals when we "dine out" on a Disney vacation. At least, as of now, Disney will allow you to bring in your own food. Many other parks don't allow that, so you either pay high prices or don't eat when you're there. The souvenirs in the parks are expensive, so I hope my daughter will be happy with her first pair of Mickey ears and whatever bargains her mommy finds her offsite!

We stay offsite too. Not only because of the high prices to be fair but also because we've been so often and we're exploring the rest of the area now.

Prices have doubled in just a few years! Our salaries sure haven't. Plus none of the hotels are luxury IMO but they certainly do charge luxury prices.

Thanks for posting some prices...trying to figure if my 11 yr old daughter and I should take one of the dining plans or not!

While Disney is certainly not cheap :rotfl2: I was suprised to find, last year on our first trip there (since I was a teen) that their prices were about what I've expereinced at places like HersheyPark and Six Flags New England, and the other Fl places like Busch Gardens and Sea World. The food at Hershey in particular is shockingly expensive and not good.

Last Feb my family (well, all except oldest who is at college and didn't want to come) did 5 days at Pop, with free dining. We had 2 rooms-six of us. I packed food for breakfast, since we eat lightly in 'real life' anyways. When I figured out the per person cost per day of our vacation, it was actually reasonable! For my family the free dining is key. We aren't really into souviners, in fact other than some pressed pennies and a ride on the SeaRaycers at DTD I didn't actually spend hardly any other money.

I'm pricing out a day or 2 at Busch Gardens Williamsburg this summer (going to area for wedding) and per day, with food and all, it's not cheaper than my Disney trip was/is.

We are going again next week :cool1::cool1::cool1: with my parents this time, again 2 rooms at Pop and free dining. My mom was suprised at how reasonable the cost of this trip is (I'm paying but she insisted on kicking in some :lovestruc ) . But we're willing do to value and 2 rooms. If we did different accomodations, and didn't have FD, it would be out of reach for me. I also didn't consider the table service plan-it's more money and then there are gratuities.

So, I think Disney is not more expensive in 'some' ways than other parks, or vacation places, but in some ways, it can be-particularly if one chooses deluxes or all table service. There are a lot of ways to make Disney more affordable-staying offsite (this is not so much an option for many places like Hershey), off site eating options, and possibly YES tickets.

I mean, it's not cheap. I just don't think it's crazy more than many other family vacation places I've looked at or been to, unless you choose more expensive options.

This is why I have never bought a piece of clothing at DW. Never have and never will. My kids wore plenty of Disney themed clothes when they were younger, mostly bought on sale at the Disney Store.

We will still pick up a Christmas ornament when we go, or something that we will use as an ornament, but I will not be price gouged by their souvenirs.

I think the price alone is not what scares people. We use to always look forward to buying a "disneyworld" only tee or sweat shirt.

First, we were assured of getting a unique item. I still have a sweat shirt that people ask where I got it from. Now most tees or sweat shirts are so boring. really. how much imagination does it take to put mickey on a tee with the year? that's the best disney does now. Or why does every gift shop have Phineus and Ferb? 10,000 million disney characters and we have entire shelf after shelf of this stuff. We laughed last August because after leaving star tours, we dumped into the gift shop right in front of.... you got it, Phineus and Ferb

Lastly, as the op stated, you can look at it and see it's about the cheapest, thinnest piece of cotton one has ever seen. I hate repeating the "back in the day" phrase but once again, my dh has a great shirt he brought from the Tower of Terror gift shop that is at least 8 years old. Heavy weight, great design

pictures and tee shirts are mementoes of my trip, I usually save like a mad women during the year to splurge. I just wish disney would try to entice me to part with my hard earned dollars.

We were there in August 2011 for 2 weeks. I agree 100% about the sticker shock, but mine was more with the food. I couldn't not believe how much the food prices went up and the quality and quantity of the food went down. We are DVC members and go every year, but when we left there last year I was in no rush to get back.
I couldn't wait to get to Boardwalk and get the pizza, my brother and I rave over the pizza. When I got there and seen the size and price I couldn't believe my eyes I was so mad, I bought it anyway and then the anger set in.:mad: it was not good at all, the price, the size and now the taste. What is going on.
It was the same everywhere, the food is just going down, I do believe it is that damn dining plan.Granted prices go up, I have no problem with that, but when the quality suffers with it, there is no excuse for it. It's just wrong.....
We are always planning our next trip before we even leave and we all are so upset when it's time to leave, but this time I didn't mind going home.
My whole family is planning a trip for Nov. 2012 it will be 15 months from our last trip, the longest break in between trips in 14 yrs.
Am I happy to go back, of course, my kids bug everyday and I love to see how happy they are. Am I looking forward to it? Not yet..I can't get into the planning phase, the food is killing me knowing how downward it's heading.
I just keep reminding the family members who haven't been there in the last year on how the prices are up and the food is down...
As far as the merchandise, we stopped buying long ago..The prices and quality of that is another whole aggravation. Like I said prices will go up, but don't make everything go down in taste, size and quality...:confused3

Another reason I am so glad DLR does NOT have a dining plan (well, they have some weird coupon thing, I think, that no one uses). The quality of food at DLR has gone UP markedly in the past couple years..lots of varied items all over the park and DTD..by the way, we are getting an Earl of Sandwich..from everything I've read this looks like it will be a great addition.

And those seven years haven't been a good seven years in terms of most people's incomes.

At the same time, I've seen a significant change in behavior from budget boarders in the past decade. Originally there was no dining plan, but it was the rare budget boarder that did more than a few sit down meals. We were the board that found condos on skyaction, ate pizza at CiCis and anyone who was a regular here could get you to WalMart to pick up groceries. There were a few people who posted here who owned DVC or stayed Deluxe or ate sit down every day, but we were the minority.

The dining plan seems to have accomplished its goal from Disney The Corporation's perspective - it convinced people who would have never dreamed of sitting down at Disney every day that food was an important part of vacationing and worth $60 a day per person to do.

Here's a huge way we save at Disney.

We don't do Disney to dine. :scared1: :rolleyes1

None of us eat as much as what WDW charges for subpar food, AND table service actually costs more because it *robs* you from time in the parks.

When DH and I were just a couple, we did nice TS meals at Disney. But with kids, counter service has enough variety and portions large enough to share.

When we're in the parks, we're on the move doing the parks.
When we're at home, we *sit* and do nice restaurants.

Its alot more fun dining when your ticket inve$tment isn't going used ! (while spending big bucks for sub-par food.)

:goodvibes

not every one who goes to WDW frequently spends a lot to do so :)
we go 2-3x a year, own DVC (if we didn't, renting points would be our preferred option), and have DVC discounted APs which we get at least 3 vacations out of.
plane fare costs are minimal (use RRs accumulated with SWA visa so just pay $10 per ticket).
we do rent a car, but lately have been cutting down the days until we are good with the price (normally an 8 day rental for a 11 day trip).
with a car, we can eat a lot at DTD and offsite (LOVE flippers), sometimes with groupons, drive to the outlets if we want a souvie or two. we rarely buy anything in the parks (grey goose slushies excluded;)).
if we are going to get a lot of use out if it, we'll get a TIW card (rarely).

our 10-14 day trips essentially cost us about $400 per person total - cheaper than anywhere else we can find :woohoo:

Lastly, as the op stated, you can look at it and see it's about the cheapest, thinnest piece of cotton one has ever seen. I hate repeating the "back in the day" phrase but once again, my dh has a great shirt he brought from the Tower of Terror gift shop that is at least 8 years old. Heavy weight, great design

pictures and tee shirts are mementoes of my trip, I usually save like a mad women during the year to splurge. I just wish disney would try to entice me to part with my hard earned dollars.

Yep. I have a 25th anniversary backpack from my very first trip. After 15 years of hard use - as a college backpack, a diaper bag for 3 kids, a park bag on 6 Disney trips, and an all-purpose travel bag that's been hauled countless other places - it looks as good as the day I bought it except for an ink stain from a leaky fountain pen and the fact that I've replaced the drawstring a couple times. I had hoped they'd put out something similar for the 40th but the closest thing I could find was a much more lightweight/less durable messenger bag, so I'll go on using my 25th anniversary backpack for a few more years. Maybe for the 50th they'll put out something worth buying. :confused3

I'll happily part with my money given appropriate incentive, but not for unoriginal or cheaply-made products that are just going to be clutter (or trash) when we get home. For Disney prices I want something that I can use and that will last.

The "luxury" resorts weren't luxury until the lower tier hotels were built, they were just regular old hotels.

LOL, so funny and TRUE.

Disney Deluxe hotels would never be called "Deluxe", without their own moderate and value resorts sitting next door.

LOL, so funny and TRUE.

Disney Deluxe hotels would never be called "Deluxe", without their own moderate and value resorts sitting next door.

They've always had luxury prices though. And way back when, the theming alone made disney hotels deluxe, back when it was the richly gardened poly and the contemporary with the monorail going through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter