Just back, and stunned by prices

The high price of souvenirs is the reason I always plan a trip to the Disney outlets in the area. You can get real Disney merchandise for a lot less. As far as food, we tend to eat meals offsite or get kids meals(plenty of food when you are about to run around and ride rides). I really wanted a 40th shirt last year, and would have paid $30 for one, but they only had the teenager shaped shirts or the men's styles. For the price they charge, you would think a woman's fit shirt wouldn't be too much to ask.

Exactly, we always visit the Disney Outlets too. We just returned and they had lots of 40th stuff there along with a ton of DCL stuff. Of course they had the last promotion stuff. Beach towels were 9.99 and they were BOGO (this was the promotion beach towel they sold at the store)-- so $5 a towel. I bought Duffy the bear for 60% off ($30 down to $9.99). Yes his clothes said 2011, but they can be removed. We are DVC members so do several of our meals in our kitchen. But we do do one meal a day. We always have a rental car, so we do venture up to publix to pick up subs or fried chicken to eat on the balcony or at the pool. I agree with the OP, prices are out of control and I just don't know how families do it.

During our trips we rarely eat on property. I can't justify paying almost $8.00 for a hotdog and chips and that price doesn't include a drink!! At todays prices the drink would make the meal $10 for a hotdog!!!!

The money we save by eating off property pays for the price of the rental car. Next week the total for our 7 day mid size rental car is $93.00
If we spend that same $93 to eat at Disney we would "probably" only get to buy 4 meals for that price.

It's not really the prices that bother me. It's not inflation that bothers me. What DOES bother me is when they do a combination of raising prices and lowering quality at the same time.

If they have to sacrifice a little quality to hold pricing, that's understandable to me.

When they have to raise prices a little to hold quality standards, I understand that too.

I know they are a business, I know they have stockholders, I just have a problem with paying MORE fore LESS.

We plan our dates around the YES program now, $500 for 3 tickets for the week is about as cheap as you can get.

We either stay on Disney property through renting DVC points or a large room discount. If we can't do that, it's offsite.

Whether staying on or off, we eat offsite alot. Giordano's usually twice, we also hit Logan's for a steak and Olive Garden too.

Keeping vacation costs low allow us to take multiple ones a year. We have been to Disney 12 times in the past 12 years, driving every time. For some it's a splurge, but we can keep it under $2,000 easily. Considering we need $300-400 a week to live anyway, our total cost per trip is actually under $1500. The only items usually bought on Disney property is our son spending allowance money at the Lego store.

It's all what you make of it.

You may already know this but restaurant.com usually has the Orlando Giordanos on their list. We live locally and LOVE Giordanos so purchase the vouchers $2 for $25 worth of food. There are no restrictions other than you must dine in.

As to the costs of food inside WDW, I don't have a problem with most of the pricing at CS locations. Yes, I know the drinks are separate and costly but the food itself, IMO, is reasonable. For instance we ate at the BBQ place at DAK last weekend and a rib dinner with coleslaw and delicious baked beans was only $11.00. It was a huge slab of ribs that could be split if someone had a smaller appetite. The TS locations are another story and I DO feel like the prices reflect the dining plan and so many "free dining" offers. As to the quality? They used serve lobster at certain locations and it's no longer available and the variety is not the same at all. I don't want to pay more for bland, homogenized food.

The cost of tickets is problematic and adds alot to costs, esp. when kids become Disney adults. Resorts are at a higher price but most people expect and often get a discount of some sort. I'd never pay rack rate and as others have mentioned, there are offsite options that can save alot of $$ with the full kitchens.

IMO Disney is still a good value for us. We're lucky in that we purchased DVC back in the 90's when the price was low and we live locally so there is no cost for airfare. I can't think of another location that my grandkids enjoy as much and that my kids enjoyed as much when we were taking family vacations with them.

The high price of souvenirs is the reason I always plan a trip to the Disney outlets in the area. You can get real Disney merchandise for a lot less. As far as food, we tend to eat meals offsite or get kids meals(plenty of food when you are about to run around and ride rides). I really wanted a 40th shirt last year, and would have paid $30 for one, but they only had the teenager shaped shirts or the men's styles. For the price they charge, you would think a woman's fit shirt wouldn't be too much to ask.

A little OT but I agree!! They have these tight things for women and very cool camp type shirts for men, but the ones for women are for skinny young things, of which I am neither. I'd like a nice shirt with the special designs on them, more tailored than a mans, but not all clingy like the tshirt..a real gap in their merchandise offerings!
As far as prices..sure they've gone up but so has everything..I'm appalled at what a meal at a fast food restaurant costs.
As far as ticket prices I really think that for what you get the price is very reasonable. You get all rides, attractions, shows, fireworks, Fantasmic, etc etc etc for upwards of 14+ hours a day for 1 charge (I remember the ticket books and there you were with just a Horse Trolley ride left for the day). We bring in snacks, get free water from counter service places and rarely buy anything. I get most of my Disney fix items from the store online..in the Clearance section...with a percent off code and free shipping...through Ebates for cash back. What we do buy onsite is from 'vacation money' which everyone knows doesn't count as 'real money'. I eat alot of kids meals which are plenty and when we do the occasional splurge we don't beat ourselves up over it.
To me, Disney is still a bargain for the quality experience you get.

The biggest shock for me has been having my Disney traveling partner change from being a Disney child to a Disney adult. I think it's crazy to ask a 65 pound girl to pay $39.99 for a buffet. I mean, she probably eats about $2 worth of food. We always eat breakfast in the room and share meals etc. and don't buy souveniers at the park any more... but having to buy her an adult ticket and pay adult meal prices has pushed the trip a bit out of reach. We have gone yearly for a while but I'm just back from an offsite trip that will probably (sadly) be my last for a while. Not because I don't want to go though...

The biggest shock for me has been having my Disney traveling partner change from being a Disney child to a Disney adult. I think it's crazy to ask a 65 pound girl to pay $39.99 for a buffet. I mean, she probably eats about $2 worth of food. We always eat breakfast in the room and share meals etc. and don't buy souveniers at the park any more... but having to buy her an adult ticket and pay adult meal prices has pushed the trip a bit out of reach. We have gone yearly for a while but I'm just back from an offsite trip that will probably (sadly) be my last for a while. Not because I don't want to go though...

The fact Disney charges adult prices for children annoys me to no end. Now that my DD10 is considered an adult, we won't be getting the Dining plan anymore. We'll be paying out of pocket and if staying off-site, eating off property more.

It's not really the prices that bother me. It's not inflation that bothers me. What DOES bother me is when they do a combination of raising prices and lowering quality at the same time.
If they have to sacrifice a little quality to hold pricing, that's understandable to me.

When they have to raise prices a little to hold quality standards, I understand that too.

I know they are a business, I know they have stockholders, I just have a problem with paying MORE fore LESS.

ITA. :sad2:

ITA with this, too. Food is cheap when purchased in enormous quantities and there is already a huge profit margin for adults, let alone kids.

It's absolutley ridiculous how the age for adults gets lower and lower. Before you know it, they won't even differentiate between adults and kids, and there'll be just one set price for admission.

:sad2:

We're going in April and I really like BOMA, but I just checked out the prices and paying over $160 for 4 adults, when 2 of them are 13 yo girls who eat like birds is just not something I am willing to do.

We're going in April and I really like BOMA, but I just checked out the prices and paying over $160 for 4 adults, when 2 of them are 13 yo girls who eat like birds is just not something I am willing to do.

That's why we eat at Jiko. Not any more expensive, when we don't go for a bottle of wine and three courses each, much better food.

Souvenirs have never been our thing, so they never tempt us and I've watched people shell out a huge chunk of change on things that will probably show up at Goodwill (or such) or yard sales within a year. Look around you, how many people walk around (lots of children included) their everyday lives with souvie clothes on? Not many, and they are outrageously cheaply made and expensive at Disney. We save bundles by not caring about those things.

I agree. We don't buy souveneirs. My kids are used to it, so they don't even ask. We do takes tons of pictures and video. Every Saturday morning the kids wake up and ask if they can watch one of our Disney videos. That's free and keeps the memories going much longer than a T-shirt.

That's why we eat at Jiko. Not any more expensive, when we don't go for a bottle of wine and three courses each, much better food.

I don't know, Jiko isn't cheap. The entrees alone (no apps/ no desert) run about the same as Boma. Not exactly any savings there.

As far as better food...I really love the soups at Boma. Those soups always have me coming back.

We save on tickets by getting AP's (expensive outlay of cash at first) but, we also get three 10 day unlimited uses out of them, 3 times within our year, then usually wait a year, then repeat. We also have our MH (have worked our way up over the years, trailers, etc.) so stay at the Fort. No, it's not cheap, but considering what we get out of it (its location) we have no problems paying more than some other CGs. Also, maybe some not understanding this, but we prefer it, by far, to any resort available - it's clean (no worries about checking for bed bugs, dirty blankets, spreads, etc.) and comfy. No flames about how clean or nice the GF, Poly, etc. are - I'm sure they are, but we wouldn't trade places. We eat all our meals, most snacks, on property (actually don't spend that much, are light eaters - have to watch that waistline ;) - usually eat one big meal a day(sometimes it's CS) then maybe a couple snacks. We don't drink the sodas. We eat what and when we want so no counting pennies, but we know we don't come close to DDP prices (have saved our receipts to check). No souvenirs (except occasional F&G mug). Love to browse DTD - can see from observing that's where a lot of people's money is going, also the BBB. So, it seems it's a matter of what you just have to have there and what you feel you can't vacation without. We always have a great time and also enjoy the food. I don't really expect "down home" cooking, but I can do that here. I love to cook and have a cajun southern background and make most of the dishes which we love (not cajun, but no problem if I were :) So, yes, the food (and all, everywhere) is going up, but I am very budget - minded so we are not too worried. I'm a coupon user (not crazy, like some) and also when we're gone, we're not using money for food at home, so :woohoo:

My mom was visiting recently and reminiscing about taking my sisters and me back when there was "only" the Magic Kingdom and maybe River Country. We stayed for 10 days at the Poly and she said the $85 or so room cost nearly made her and my dad choke. It was the most expensive hotel they'd ever stayed in! And I still have one of the ticket books with three or four tickets still in it from those days when the park wasn't all-inclusive.

Isn't it possible still to get some rooms a the value places for not much more than this even to this day? And the daily ticket cost for the longest-lasting non-hoppers isn't much more per day than my parents paid for those ticket books that limited what you could do and how often (unless you paid for more tickets).

There's no doubt that there's a lot of crazy pricing out there. I won't be paying $40+ dollars for my 11-year old to eat breakfast any time soon. BUt it's clear that things aren't quite as bad as they seem on the unexamined surface.

I don't know, Jiko isn't cheap. The entrees alone (no apps/ no desert) run about the same as Boma. Not exactly any savings there.

As far as better food...I really love the soups at Boma. Those soups always have me coming back.

Not necessarily savings, but much better quality. And we are a split apps/dessert family. Boma does have good soup, but soup isn't worth $35 a person.

My mom was visiting recently and reminiscing about taking my sisters and me back when there was "only" the Magic Kingdom and maybe River Country. We stayed for 10 days at the Poly and she said the $85 or so room cost nearly made her and my dad choke. It was the most expensive hotel they'd ever stayed in! And I still have one of the ticket books with three or four tickets still in it from those days when the park wasn't all-inclusive.

But back then my dad made $30k a year in a job that paid $120k the year he retired.

My mom was visiting recently and reminiscing about taking my sisters and me back when there was "only" the Magic Kingdom and maybe River Country. We stayed for 10 days at the Poly and she said the $85 or so room cost nearly made her and my dad choke.

I could kick myself for not staying there on our very first trip. The rack rate in value season in 2005 was around $250/night and I just couldn't justify that, even with free dining. That same room at the same time of year costs $465/night now and I doubt we'll ever stay there. :(

But back then my dad made $30k a year in a job that paid $120k the year he retired.

Yeah, my dad said he was making about $18,000 at the time and thought he was "richer than God." I don't see what either story of our fathers, however interesting, has to do with the point that it's possible to get a hotel room at Disney for about the same price as nearly 40 years ago or a daily ticket that gives you more for not much more cost in actual dollars terms, even leaving aside inflation/deflation/whateverflation, than one of those little coupon books. Granted, you won't be able to dine with princesses or buy little light up spinny toys, since those things didn't exist then, but isn't it often true that it's the extra stuff we all expect now that really costs us in the long run?

Our family of 5 lives on only 50k a year now!:eek: Now I know that is a lot for some people but where I live most people make at least double that and here in PA cost of living/taxes are pretty high.

Yeah, my dad said he was making about $18,000 at the time and thought he was "richer than God." I don't see what either story of our fathers, however interesting, has to do with the point that it's possible to get a hotel room at Disney for about the same price as nearly 40 years ago or a daily ticket that gives you more for not much more cost in actual dollars terms, even leaving aside inflation/deflation/whateverflation, than one of those little coupon books. Granted, you won't be able to dine with princesses or buy little light up spinny toys, since those things didn't exist then, but isn't it often true that it's the extra stuff we all expect now that really costs us in the long run?

That is the point. The room may cost four times as much, but you are making more money than you did in 1980.

Now I know that for a lot of Americans, their income has not kept up with inflation, but that's systemic, not unique to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter