Just back, and stunned by prices

It's frustrating when prices go up. This latest round of ticket prices inflated the cost of our trip. Our last trip last year was $2200 for 10 days for 4 ppl (2 A, 2K) staying at Pop with free dining w/ 10 day base tix.

This year we are paying $3000 for 12 days for 4 ppl (2A, 2K) staying at Pop with free dining with 6 day tix w/ WP&M. Definitely our prices were impacted by the bump in ticket prices (As well as travelling in Value Season 2 instead of Value Season 1).

That said, we're also cruising this year and a 5day cruise to the Caribbean (Sadly, not with Disney as THOSE prices sent me running!) in March break is costing us $2100 for our family of 4. We're doing it because our friends are going and we decided it would be fun to try it out. I think I'd prefer another trip to WDW though - I'm finding cruising $$$ in comparison to WDW!!

BTW, NONE of this includes airfare.

All in all, WDW is expensive, but still a good value for money for our family.

I don't get your point? Are you implying that those multi-trip parents are doing so at the expense of the kids' college funds and other things?

How about this?
Some of us live very close to the Mouse and can visit easily without spending a lot.
Some of us budget very carefully to be able to make that yearly trip happen without impacting the family budget.
And some of us just make enough money to be able to afford college for the kids, fully fund our retirement, pay off the mortgage, buy new cars, purchase healthy foods, live debt-free AND go to Disney multiple times a year!​

I wasn't implying that anyone was doing anything at the expense of their children! Woah, way to put words in my mouth! Everyone has different priorities means exactly that. Do some people take trips at the expense of their kids' tuition? Perhaps. But not everyone prioritizes paying for their child's education. Based on what I read on the Budget board, there are some who don't budget every month, and some who carry debt. Again, everyone has different priorities, and priorities effect the choices you make.

And I am well aware of income differences and how that impact what you can do with your children, and prior to have kids I went on multiple vacations a year, when I was paying for one flight and not 4. But the whole point I was referring in my post goes back to the OP who said families won't be able to afford to go anymore, and my point is that many families couldn't go at all before and now can. Just because she found it affordable before, doesn't mean it was for everyone. Disney is still out of reach for many families.

"I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities."

This definitely implies that parents (and their poor prioritization) are taking vacations to Disney at the expense of their kids' college funds. The way it was worded, means precisely that.

I do not really assume people are going multiple times because they are poor money managers. I guess I think quite the opposite- I assume they are good with their money (whether it be budgeting or earning a higher income).

I don['t mind the dining prices so much. They're high but no worse than most other captive-audience events/destinations, and in most cases I've found the quality and selection to be better. I went to Sesame Street Live yesterday where we paid $5 for a small bag of cotton candy and $4 for a 20oz bottle of water, and the circus is even more expensive than that.

Disney merchandise, on the other hand, crossed my personal line a couple trips ago, when my $30 women's XL t-shirt shrunk to small enough that my size 0 tween wears it now. My mom was looking for a hoodie/light jacket for DD3 because she really hates the skull-and-crossbones HS football team one we have for her, and a zip-front hoodie at WDW in a toddler size is currently running $45-50 depending on style. I didn't pay that for her whole snowsuit!

I was frustrated by merchandise quality last week. DD's spinner toy broke twice on day 1 (both times I returned it for a new one) and her little purse fell apart after 1 day. I know neither of these items were high ticket, but seriously, let's not sell stuff that breaks!

I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities.

And different circumstances. We're low income by DIS standards but we're also extremely fortunate and have no mortgage and aren't the only ones funding our kids' educations. Someone looking at us - single income blue collar family, old cars, modest house - would probably wonder/assume that we're sacrificing future stability with all the traveling we do right now, but only because they don't have all the facts.

Some of the food options have crossed my line. We stopped going to Cinderella breakfast when they raised the prices. The last time we went I believe breakfast was $19.99. Now adults are $44.80!! That to me is over the line. (I know that includes a picture.)

We also don't do the fixed price meals anymore. My girls eat like birds. Even though they are teens (actually my oldest turned 20 in January), we can share one meal and get an appetizer and the 3 of us are full. DH will get his own meal and then maybe clean up what we don't eat. I really would like to do the Cape May Clambake since we have never been. But I am not paying $42.59 for my DD to eat a roll and maybe 1 or 2 shrimp.

I haven't been tempted to eat off site yet because we can always find something reasonable to eat. But then I scour the menus, etc. and know where to go. Although I might be tempted next trip to go offsite.

I think I have finallly decided to stay offsite next trip. We are tired of Pop Century and don't really like the All Stars, but the moderates and deluxe resorts don't seem to be worth it anymore for us. I did really love the Beach Club and might be tempted again, but we will see if I get a 40% off code like the last time we stayed there. Once we stay off site, I think it will be easier to eat off site too.

This year we are doing Hawaii because we have never been and I want to go before my oldest decides she is too old to vacation with us as a family! But talk about sticker shock!! It is costing us over $900 EACH for plane fare alone. The only thing that is making it possible is that I have been saving up my Marriott points, so the hotel will be free.

Yes, prices are going up everywhere. But I agree with the OP and other posters that Disney is getting out of line (for some things). I also agree that I think it has to do with the dining plan.

Maggie

Ok, let me first say, as you can see by my signature, this wasn't my first time at the rodeo. We love WDW. We go as often as we can. Normally, I don't get such sticker shock, but I have to say...this time, I did. I usually come home with a sweatshirt, t shirt, or some sort of clothing item. I absolutely choked on the prices this time. Thin, cheap looking t shirts were $35, and I'm not sure I saw one for less than $30. Food prices have definitely gone up since we were there a year ago. I know that food has gone up, but honestly, I feel like they are inflating the price to justify the cost of the dining plan...which we don't do because we don't eat the way you have to in order to get the benefit from it. We don't do buffets, and we don't like to do a sit down meal every day. Aside from the fact that it would have cost over $900 for the three of us for the week. We love Disney, and we have the money to spend there. But it is getting close to the point where it is just to hard to justify. I know they have to make money, but honestly, I think it is getting to the point where families just won't be able to afford it. Makes me very, very sad!

I'm not looking forward to those high prices for food. And I think I might just hunt for disney t-shirts on sale here and tuck them into my suitcase as a surprise for my kids. They can't read yet anyway, they just like the characters. Mouse ears though... can't find them here. Anyone know how much they cost?

I'm not looking forward to those high prices for food. And I think I might just hunt for disney t-shirts on sale here and tuck them into my suitcase as a surprise for my kids. They can't read yet anyway, they just like the characters. Mouse ears though... can't find them here. Anyone know how much they cost?

Ear hats were in the high teens. Then you pay extra for the embroidery.

If you have a car, you might have better luck at the outlet for souvies. I spent $102 on 4 beach towels, a dress, a tshirt, magnet set, pin set, loose pin, a crossbody satchel, kitchen towels, a necklace and 2 scarves.

I've seen Mickey ear headbands at Party City here at home. They aren't mickey ears with the hat part but more like a headband. But it might satisfy your kids if they are young enough.

When my kids were little I bought shirts at the Disney store when they were really cheap. I got enough that they wore a new one each day. They never asked me for things while at Disney. I also had little Disney activity books/coloring books that I got at Walgreens for them to use while we were waiting for parades and the fireworks. They also have Disney light spinners at Walgreens. I used to bring those glow bracelets/necklaces for the night time parades and the kids didn't ask for anything from the cart that tries to sell you things while waiting for a parade. Although one year we did buy one of those spinner things that spell out words with lights when you spin them around. We still have it and bring it each year.

Maggie

I was there a couple of months ago, hadn't been in two years, and had no sticker shock. Seemed like the usual price increases to me. The CS was better and about the same price as the airport...par for the course. I expected food to cost what it did. It's easy enough to look up the menus at AllEars. We don't buy tshirts and ears anymore- we have all those in bulk by now. I did buy a couple of Mickey kitchen gadgets and the like, but I expect those to be pricey. Where else can I get a Mickey profile ice cube tray?

The only thing that bothered me was the decrease in holiday decorations and streetmisphere/live entertainment. I am getting less for my money each trip.

I don't get your point? Are you implying that those multi-trip parents are doing so at the expense of the kids' college funds and other things?

How about this?
Some of us live very close to the Mouse and can visit easily without spending a lot.
Some of us budget very carefully to be able to make that yearly trip happen without impacting the family budget.
And some of us just make enough money to be able to afford college for the kids, fully fund our retirement, pay off the mortgage, buy new cars, purchase healthy foods, live debt-free AND go to Disney multiple times a year!​

Right, and some go to Disney every other year or so while carrying tens of thousands in credit card debt, and there is nothing wrong with that either if the parents think it's ok for their own family.

I've been in credit card debt before, so I respect the struggles that come along with that. If some people chose to take their young kids to Disney World with debt instead of missing out on Disney vacations with their kids while they are young, who am I to judge?

We try and go to WDW every year and so are used to the increase in prices every year. However, we find the food at WDW to be cheaper than Cedar Point, a theme park close to us. Cedar Point was charging $4.50 for a bottle of water! I know it wasn't that price at WDW last year.

We don't buy a whole lot of souvenirs but I know what you mean about the prices going up and quality going down! There was a Pixar t-shirt that I loved but it was $40! For a t-shirt! I couldn't justify that price in any way, shape or form. I do miss the days where you could get land/park specific merchandise and not just the "Disney Parks" stuff they have now.

As others have mentioned, it is the ticket costs that are killing us now. We can do everything else on the cheap but even just with two of us, we can't go for under $1200 for a week anymore. Tickets are half that budget and there is no way to get big savings there (just Undercover Tourist).

Vacations are a priority for us so we budget for them. However, we might start to do WDW every other year and try somewhere new on the opposite years. Disney is a great value for what you get but many other places are in that same price range now (or a little more for somewhere more exotic).

Souvenirs have never been our thing, so they never tempt us and I've watched people shell out a huge chunk of change on things that will probably show up at Goodwill (or such) or yard sales within a year. Look around you, how many people walk around (lots of children included) their everyday lives with souvie clothes on? Not many, and they are outrageously cheaply made and expensive at Disney. We save bundles by not caring about those things. The most I will get sometimes is a F & G show mug. Didn't even do that this last year because they weren't even that pretty or F & G specific like they were the year before. I have bought some mugs at our local Disney store after they were clearanced. Just yest. I bought 4 of the horoscope mugs for $2.99 ea. Have lovely pictures of the characters on them with horoscopes on back. But that's about my limit on spending for souvenirs. Who really notices that you have a special shirt or whatever for every park you visit or dine? But having said that, we will go to Disney as long as we can, and adjust our spending accordingly.

There have always been families who could not afford it, and there always will be. I know families who have never taken any vacation. :confused3

And folks who go to Disney World every year or every other year are an extreme minority. People who take multiple vacations in a year are a minority. I have to remind myself of this fact from time to time because reading these boards can be pretty deceiving.

It seems Disney is coming closer to your personal line in the sand - the point at which you may consider taking fewer trips or none at all. But, honestly, nothing has changed. That line was always there for someone.

We go every year and have gone as many as four times per year.

Not everything holds an attraction for us anymore. We don't feel the need to plan a new Disney restaurant for every meal.

We do like to eat where we want when we want. In January we ate at several restaurants and enjoyed what we had. We also paid the price asked. That was our choice. Instead of Chefs de France, we could have had a filet at Outback out by the outlets. Probably if we were outlet shopping that's what we would have done. Instead we were park hopping in Epcot so we had an Epcot dinner.

I cant be bothered with a dining plan because I no longer make any plans. On our week long trip we ate well. Disney didn't get all our cash. In earlier years they had first dibs on every penny.

So, in going often, patterns for us have changed.

The one time visitor should do what suits their budget.

I wasn't implying that anyone was doing anything at the expense of their children! Woah, way to put words in my mouth! Everyone has different priorities means exactly that. Do some people take trips at the expense of their kids' tuition? Perhaps. But not everyone prioritizes paying for their child's education. Based on what I read on the Budget board, there are some who don't budget every month, and some who carry debt. Again, everyone has different priorities, and priorities effect the choices you make.

And I am well aware of income differences and how that impact what you can do with your children, and prior to have kids I went on multiple vacations a year, when I was paying for one flight and not 4. But the whole point I was referring in my post goes back to the OP who said families won't be able to afford to go anymore, and my point is that many families couldn't go at all before and now can. Just because she found it affordable before, doesn't mean it was for everyone. Disney is still out of reach for many families.

"I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities."

This definitely implies that parents (and their poor prioritization) are taking vacations to Disney at the expense of their kids' college funds. The way it was worded, means precisely that.

I do not really assume people are going multiple times because they are poor money managers. I guess I think quite the opposite- I assume they are good with their money (whether it be budgeting or earning a higher income).

People also have different incomes.
:thumbsup2, exactly!!!

It is the price of tickets that is doing it for us. We have five adults in our family; our tickets for this next time is costing over $1700! That's alot of money any way you look at it. I am so sad to say it, but this will probably be our last trip to Disney until we have grandchildren and my children invite us! We are only eating onsite for 4 meals and are staying at Bonnet Creek, so many meals will be in our condo.

We plan our dates around the YES program now, $500 for 3 tickets for the week is about as cheap as you can get.

We either stay on Disney property through renting DVC points or a large room discount. If we can't do that, it's offsite.

Whether staying on or off, we eat offsite alot. Giordano's usually twice, we also hit Logan's for a steak and Olive Garden too.

Keeping vacation costs low allow us to take multiple ones a year. We have been to Disney 12 times in the past 12 years, driving every time. For some it's a splurge, but we can keep it under $2,000 easily. Considering we need $300-400 a week to live anyway, our total cost per trip is actually under $1500. The only items usually bought on Disney property is our son spending allowance money at the Lego store.

It's all what you make of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter