Just Back...and I really wanted to drink the DCL Kool-Aid

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well, sorry. While I mentioned comparing Pop to DCL my point was you can't compare Polyneisian Club level, Lagoon view to a veranda room on DCL. If your going to compare it at all you would have to be pricing a concierge cabin IMO. My comment about Pop was to get to the other extreme. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge club level last October and I can tell you the offerings were wonderful and the free drinks flowed. That is not a regular veranda room service. That is the concierge room on DCL. JMO.
If your going to compare what you can get for value and make a fair comparison you need to compare like to like.
I think a cruise and WDW are obviously very different vacations, so it's hard to compare apples to apples. But when I made the decision to do DCL (wanting a Disney experience with less stress and planning), I did compare it to our Poly stay. Like I said above, it's a huge "value" comparitively even though you can't really compare lol. Does that make sense at all?

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well, sorry. While I mentioned comparing Pop to DCL my point was you can't compare Polyneisian Club level, Lagoon view to a veranda room on DCL. If your going to compare it at all you would have to be pricing a concierge cabin IMO. My comment about Pop was to get to the other extreme. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge club level last October and I can tell you the offerings were wonderful and the free drinks flowed. That is not a regular veranda room service. That is the concierge room on DCL. JMO.
If your going to compare what you can get for value and make a fair comparison you need to compare like to like.
A verandah room on a DCL ship includes all your meals plus unlimited snacks. A club level at WDW includes a continental breakfast, a few snacks, and some alcohol. Unless you can survive eating club level food for 7 days then I don't see the value comparison. Like I've said I have stayed Club level at every deluxe WDW resort so I have a good idea of whats offered, and I get a lot more out of an inside room on a cruise ship.

I think a cruise and WDW are obviously very different vacations, so it's hard to compare apples to apples. But when I made the decision to do DCL (wanting a Disney experience with less stress and planning), I did compare it to our Poly stay. Like I said above, it's a huge "value" comparitively even though you can't really compare lol. Does that make sense at all?
I agree with you it's very hard to compare. If you are a family of four with two growing teenage boys with big appetites there is no better value then a cruise. When our kids were little we would get the deluxe dining plan for around 200.00 per day for the four of us. That was a great value. Those days are long gone. Whenever I price out WDW anymore it's just not worth it for us.

Last edited:
I agree with you it's very hard to compare. If you are a family of four with two growing teenage boys with big appetites there is no better value then a cruise. When are kids were little we would get the deluxe dining plan for around 200.00 per day for the four of us. That was a great value. Those days are long gone. Whenever I price out WDW anymore it's just not worth it for us.
I'm sure! Even with 1 adult and 1 child the cruise still costs a lot less than 7 nights for us at WDW- when comparing certain rooms at certain resorts. If you're comparing against a value or moderate hotel or even a standard view at most deluxe resorts- then the cruise may be more.

Once you add excursions and photos on the cruise the gap gets smaller from what I listed above, but still a significant gap.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know what category cabin you are comparing the Polyneisian Club level to. I haven't seen concierge priced at $5900 for a family of four in quite a while. You can't compare the Polyneisan to a regular veranda, that would be like me comparing the cost of the Pop Century to concierge. Apples to oranges. I could certainly get a room at the pop, dining plan, tickets for both of us for less than an inside cabin for 7 days. Its all what you like though so I respect your decision. I just wonder what we are comparing.

Verandah cabin on Deck 10 forward. :)

For us, wdw is cheaper no question. But I agree that depends on which rooms you compare. But wdw gives a wider variety of options for saving money if that is your goal.

The added bonus of a Disney cruise is going to different places (at least the first time you sail an itinerary anyway) This also makes a big part of choosing a DCL vacation over a vacation at WDW.

The food on the cruise is included in the fare whether it is verandah, concierge, inside or oceanview.
The food when we stay at a WDW resort ( we stay deluxe/club level) is not included. And while club level food is nice, one cannot feed a family of 4 (two teenagers included) for a 7 night stay.

In posting the price comparison for the OP, I was merely sharing OUR experiences with the difference in price for a DCL cruise and a WDW stay based on what I have researched for our family and our vacation needs/wants.
Because, when deciding on a vacation for my family, I have a different set of criteria than others have. :) Though I am quite pleased you respect my decision ,Tinkerone. lol

Value comparison = what you would do in each vacation measured against each other. It doesn't matter if the quality or service or room size is the same (apples to apples). It only matters if you would choose that vacation or not. Otherwise it's a non-issue. If you do WDW via the Pop, then that's your starting point for a comparison. If you would never stay at Pop, it doesn't matter if it's the cheaper choice when deciding which you would spend your money on.

In short, this argument is really about personal value, not about actual hard facts and numbers, other than the prices.

Value comparison = what you would do in each vacation measured against each other. It doesn't matter if the quality or service or room size is the same (apples to apples). It only matters if you would choose that vacation or not. Otherwise it's a non-issue. If you do WDW via the Pop, then that's your starting point for a comparison. If you would never stay at Pop, it doesn't matter if it's the cheaper choice when deciding which you would spend your money on.

In short, this argument is really about personal value, not about actual hard facts and numbers, other than the prices.
For me the decision was-

I want to still take my son to something "Disney", but our park stay was too long and too stressful.

Then I added 5 nights at WDW, 1 pre cruise, 4 post cruise to the trip and totally wiped out the "non stressful" part that made me choose the cruise in the first place lol

True, however the facts should be fully disclosed. Someone new to DCL may read the post about Polyneisian Club level, Lagoon view, (no offence, just an example I am using) and feel that is the equivalent to what they will get at the prices listed which is not true. They would have nothing else to reference it to. In that case you kind of do need the apples to apples as best as can be stated. I know its hard and complicated. Close to impossible however we should try for the sake of people not in the know.
ETA-I myself have seen prices posted that sounded really good and after looking realize the person is not giving full disclosure and the offer was not as it sounded.

I love that DCL has value to so many, it does to me to, just not at the moment. I'm spreading my wings. If the value is there for people they should enjoy because vacations don't come often enough. Its your vacation and no one can tell you what is good value other than yourself. Again, enjoy!

The original post was about whether or not DCL is worth more than $2000 over the cost over another cruise ship, I believe the Oasis was mentioned. I'm not sure it is but I will know when I sail her in October. I'm anxious to find out. I really hope DCL is worth the cost but I am thinking it won't be. Time will tell. :flower3:

You make a very good point. I would never stay at Pop. Also when I'm on vacation I enjoy a nice sit down dinner a bottle of wine. I gym, a hot tub, are also a must. To get all those things at WDW cost a small fortune these days. Especially the dinner it's very easy for a family of four to spend 200+ a night on dinner at WDW.
Yes staying at Pop, and eating quick service is definitely cheaper than a cruise, but that would not be the type of vacation I would like. I find a cruise(not just DCL, but any cruiseline) to be a better over all vacation for less money, but that is only my opinion.

True, however the facts should be fully disclosed. Someone new to DCL may read the post about Polyneisian Club level, Lagoon view, (no offence, just an example I am using) and feel that is the equivalent to what they will get at the prices listed which is not true. They would have nothing else to reference it to. In that case you kind of do need the apples to apples as best as can be stated. I know its hard and complicated. Close to impossible however we should try for the sake of people not in the know.
ETA-I myself have seen prices posted that sounded really good and after looking realize the person is not giving full disclosure and the offer was not as it sounded.

I love that DCL has value to so many, it does to me to, just not at the moment. I'm spreading my wings. If the value is there for people they should enjoy because vacations don't come often enough. Its your vacation and no one can tell you what is good value other than yourself. Again, enjoy!

The original post was about whether or not DCL is worth more than $2000 over the cost over another cruise ship, I believe the Oasis was mentioned. I'm not sure it is but I will know when I sail her in October. I'm anxious to find out. I really hope DCL is worth the cost but I am thinking it won't be. Time will tell. :flower3:

I referenced the Poly because the OP mentioned it in her post. :)
That and I did actually price out a 7 night stay to see how much it would be for our family based on needs and wants in a vacation.
I would expect that anyone who would come here to ask for advise or to get feedback would make a decision on a vacation in the same manner and do research of their own as well.

I'm sure! Even with 1 adult and 1 child the cruise still costs a lot less than 7 nights for us at WDW- when comparing certain rooms at certain resorts. If you're comparing against a value or moderate hotel or even a standard view at most deluxe resorts- then the cruise may be more.

Once you add excursions and photos on the cruise the gap gets smaller from what I listed above, but still a significant gap.
I got a quote at WDW standard room at BC 40% off with tickets for 7 nights it was 3850 this Fall. Throw in food. We like the table service restaurants for dinner. I'm sure I'm coming in at close to 6k. We sailed on the Wonder last Fall 7 night cruise OGT rate for 3,200 and the Fantasy the year before VGT rate 3,500. We don't do excursions through DCL or buy photo packages so over all a cruise is much less for us.

Believe me you want to hear all those flexing noises. If the vessel does not flex, she will possibly break!

Truck 1 and I have been talking on this vibration thing with the Fantasy...........The best guess is something is out of balance or line with one prop, maybe the port side. She is going into dry dock relatively soon and that is when they could handle that.

AKK

Not to get off topic but when is the Fantasy going into dry dock?

Never mind I found it! Doh!

Last edited:
A verandah room on a DCL ship includes all your meals plus unlimited snacks. A club level at WDW includes a continental breakfast, a few snacks, and some alcohol. Unless you can survive eating club level food for 7 days then I don't see the value comparison. Like I've said I have stayed Club level at every deluxe WDW resort so I have a good idea of whats offered, and I get a lot more out of an inside room on a cruise ship.

I agree that DCL cannot be compared to Pop Century (a value resort), or even a moderate resort like Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach. For each and every room, DCL has turndown service every night, access to a full gym (including sauna on the classics or steam room on the newer ships in the locker room), full room service available (and included in the cost), unlimited in-room movies, and the spa line of toiletries. All of these are amenities that the value and moderate resorts totally lack. While I haven't stayed club level at every WDW resort, I have stayed club level at the Grand Floridian (their flagship resort) 3 different times and at the Beach Club once (which was way below what you get at the GF, btw). And I agree, you get many more amenities with an inside room on DCL.

Last edited:
I agree that DCL cannot be compared to Pop Century (a value resort), or even a moderate resort like Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach. For each and every room, DCL has turndown service every night, access to a full gym (including sauna on the classics or steam room on the newer ships in the locker room), full room service available (and included in the cost), unlimited in-room movies, and the spa line of toiletries. All of these are amenities that the value and moderate resorts totally lack. While I haven't stayed club level at every WDW resort, I have stayed club level at the Grand Floridian (their flagship resort) 3 different times and at the Beach Club once (which was way below what you get at the GF, btw). And I agree, you get many more amenities on an inside room on DCL.
Ive actually seen people compare a verandah to a deluxe resort and an inside to a value. Ok that really makes no sense. If I was going to compare I would say a verandah is like a lagoon view, a ocean view is a pool view and inside is a standard room. It doesnt matter what type of room you have on a dcl ship the amenities are the same for everyone. The ship is the resort.

It is true that AFT rooms can be quite noisy but somehow we adjusted to it. I was told that being mid-ship, not close to elevators & in between two "cabins" decks can help with the noise, though.

We enjoy Palo but we prefer Remy. Did not enjoy Enchanted Garden much (my least favorite).

I am not the biggest fan of Nassau (walked over there once, hated it), but I keep hearing about how Blue Lagoon is cute and Atlantis is fun (to be honest, most reviews I've read were good... We'll try them the next times we get on port in Nassau --we have two cruises coming in 2016 and 2017). So I wouldn't rule a 3-4 nights cruise out entirely (+ you can stay on board if you want).

DCL is not for everyone. If i liked to drink and party with singles or gamble then I would look elsewhere.

I like DCL because of the crew. I have been on others cruise lines and none in my opinion are as friendly and professional as the disney crew.

I am a platinum member and have no affiliation with travel companies or Disney other than being a DVC member.

But i agree with the statement that if you want all stars for 139.00 and want what they offer then ok. I like Animal Kingdom Villas and what it has for 499.00 per night. Yes at all stars you get a bed and room and can see animals out side like lizards and birds. While at Animal Kingdom we see zebras, giraffes and other exotic animals.

For a 7 night veranda eastern cruise for 2 Im paying 3106 on DCL.
On Royal Caribbean it is 2600. Then add drinks and dining and shows the cost is equal if not more,

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter