"Jungle" All the Way! A Christmas TR (NEW 11/26) Good thing that tree is Swiss!

:maleficenHi everyone! So very sorry about my negligence lately w/ this poor TR- I've been quite busy. I'm working on a new update as we speak! Better finish it before Mickey's Halloween Party at DL tomorrow night!! :maleficen

So glad to hear you had a great time on the Labor Day trip!!
I've never done mini golf or the outlet stores, though based on your description, I'm not sure I want to go to the outlet stores! Sounds crazy!

Mini golf was the BEST!!! I didn't take many pics at all since it was nighttime and I was focusing on playing well- I can be ridiculously competitive about stupid stuff sometimes! We're planning on going to the "Winter Summerland" course in December. The outlet stores were just insane- I really wish I would've taken out my camera and filmed the inside of that food court! The Disney outlet store is worth it though, since the merchandise was legitimately sold at the parks at one time.

Though the paisley Tigger is absolutely adorable, and I kind of want one now even though I'm not even a fan of Winnie the Pooh. I would love to see other characters done in that style, or with other interesting fabrics.

I'll have to take a pic of the matching Eeyore! He's even cuter in my opinion!

I'm kind of surprised you don't like the Haunted Mansion. I hate the stretching room part because it always makes me feel claustrophobic (and one time when I was 12, we got stuck in there for a few minutes, and I freaked out), but I love the rest of it. And I especially love the holiday overlay.

Yes- the elevator portion is the worst! It's got a particular smell that really freaks me out. OMG I would've definitely spazzed out as a child if I had been stuck in there! I believe the only rides I've ever been stuck on are IASW, TSM, and the tower, but the it was pretty amusing to be stuck on the tower!

P.S. What is this new ticker? You're going back at Halloween? :laughing: Too awesome!

Yes!!! I found ridiculously cheap airfare at $265 round trip so I snapped that baby right up! BFF Matt is getting promoted to Captain that week so that's really the main reason I'm going, but we're of course going to WDW for at least a few days to check out the F&W Festival and possibly play some more miniature golf!

TANGENT 6: Loki's religious experience and a new baby! 10/20/2011

Why hello everyone! As I said in the previous post, my gross DIS negligence has been due to the fact that I've been terribly busy lately. So I thought I'd post another tangent since some of that business resulted in pretty amusing pics!

PART a) Loki's religious experience

"As autumn arrives, people in various places may notice something odd. A procession of animals, everything from dogs and cats to hamsters and even horses, is led to churches for a special ceremony called the Blessing of Pets. This custom is conducted in remembrance of St. Francis of Assisi's love for all creatures."

Somehow I had never heard of this annual "Blessing of Pets" until this year, and I knew that I absolutely had to take Loki. Mom and I drove Loki to the San Luis Rey Mission on Saturday, 10/1, to be blessed! There were actually a lot of people there w/ their pets, most of them dogs. There was also a bird in a cage and a (what WDW likes to call) "pocket pet" in a tiny box (probably a hamster or something). There was a little parade and all of the dogs walked together from one end of the mission to the other, where they lined up to be blessed. At the end of the parade, everyone gathered around the friar who gave a little spiel about St. Francis. It was pretty hilarious b/c at various points throughout the spiel there were intermittent dog snarls and barking. The friar declared that he was exceedingly nervous and backed up to go stand by the bird.

Lo and I waited on the outskirts of the line b/c Lo was being hyper and bothering all of the other dogs. Here we are from a distance in front of the mission. Lo made friends w/ the big black dog in the center:

abop_mission1.jpg

Lo actually sat down politely as the friar blessed him!

abop_mission2.jpg

Lo and I in front of the fountain:

abop_mission3.jpg

Lo and Mom:

abop_mission4.jpg

PART b) Whoa baby!

This week, BFF Matt's sister gave birth to a beautiful little girl named Baby Sofia Rose, so he flew over here immediately and we drove to his town to see his family and Baby Sofia. We were greeted by a purple burrito w/ mittens:

sofia_oct01.jpg

sofia_oct02.jpg

I had to take pics of Baby Sofia's insane hot purple nursery b/c I found it so amusing:

sofia_oct11.jpg

Here is the hot purple Minnie Mouse stuffed animal Matt and I picked out from the World of Disney in DTD back in September:

sofia_oct03.jpg

sofia_oct04.jpg

Their crazy little dog, Bugsy was spying on us:

sofia_oct05.jpg

Tiny baby sandals just crack me up for some reason:

sofia_oct06.jpg

Whoa baby!

sofia_oct07.jpg

Tiny socks!

sofia_oct08.jpg

Matt and I raided Sofia's closet and thought this Halloween outfit w/ a "got candy?" onesie and candy corn print skirt was completely amazing:

sofia_oct09.jpg

Baby clothing these days is so fashion forward!

sofia_oct10.jpg

Bugsy was mesmerized by this mysterious, new tiny person and hopped around like a kangaroo for a better look:

sofia_oct13.jpg

Baby Sofia had this high tech vibrating bassinet which I thought was such a clever invention!

sofia_oct14.jpg

Out like a light:

sofia_oct12.jpg

I'll probably go on another tangent within the next few days b/c I'm going to Mickey's Halloween Party in DL as Maleficent tomorrow night, plus I bought Loki a special costume for Halloween this year so I'll have to post the results of our most recent photoshoot!

NEXT POST: back to Day 3 at WDW from December 2010!

DAY 3.5: With Liberty and Shivering For All!

We emerged from IASW and quickly discovered that Fantasy Land had become significantly more freezing than it was when we left it. I was nerdily wearing my favorite pair of running shorts b/c my evil phone had told me when I woke up that morning that it was going to be in the 60's!

We decided to go ahead and use our bonus Philharmagic FPs that the Peter Pan FP machine had surprised us w/.

dis05_0242.jpg

On our way inside the building, we passed Lady Tremaine and the evil stepsisters:

dis05_0243.jpg

We all wound up REALLY enjoying Philharmagic! I loved the various transitions they came up w/, like when the magic mops come in to clean up the dishes from "Be Our Guest." Plus, who doesn't like that faux-cake smell???

After the show, we ventured into "Castle Couture."

dis05_0249.jpg

My Mom pretty much went bananas in this shop (she and my sister are shopping monsters) and we wound up buying various souvenirs for my niece, Baby Lily, along w/ some other items, including a big stuffed Maximus from "Rapunzel" (that wasn't for Baby Lily- it was for me!). My favorite was the Sleeping Beauty display inside behind the cash register; the fairies were fighting again over which color the dress should be.

dis05_0244.jpg

Once we finally emerged from Castle Couture (it felt like we were in there forever!), we passed the Cinderella fountain:

dis05_0245.jpg

And then we proceeded right into another store, Sir Mickey's!

dis05_0248.jpg

We didn't wind up buying anything in here, but I was excessively amused by the giant who was peering inside and trying to bust through the roof!

dis05_0247.jpg

It was getting disgustingly cold by this point but we pressed on! My Mom's favorite ride at DL is BTMR, so she was stoked to check out the WDW version. We had Castle Couture send our purchases to SoG (I think it's so fabulous that SoG also gets to participate in the souvenir pick-up program so we never had to lug around any of our packages through the parks) so we were free to power walk on over to Frontierland. We passed these funny critters on our way:

dis05_0254.jpg

dis05_0255.jpg

We arrived at BTMR but we still couldn't get a new FP and the stand-by line was advertised as 25-30 min long. We find queues longer than 20 min to be completely unacceptable, especially for attractions that we love (doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but who doesn't feel over-entitled at Disney?), so we actually pulled over somewhere between Splash Mtn and BTMR and considered the unthinkable: why not just go on Splash? If you had been standing there w/ us you would've understood how completely psychotic such an idea was at that point; it was FREEZING!!! My Mom finally put the kibosh on that one so we decided to just bite the bullet and get in line for BTMR.

The BTMR stand-by queue only wound up being ~15 min long, which was pretty reasonable, especially since the CMs were claiming it was 30 min! After that we decided to get lunch so started doubling back towards Columbia Harbor House, where I had already decided we would lunch that day months before when I read great reviews of the place here on the DIS. On our way, we stopped in the Splash Mtn gift shop, "The Briar Patch," so Heather could buy some gloves (she called them "magic gloves." I'm not sure if that was b/c they were actually called magic gloves or if she was just so darn cold that they felt magical!). While we were waiting for Heather to pay for the magic gloves, I made my Mom pose w/ this set of Mickey ears:

dis05_0256.jpg

We continued on and soon reached Columbia Harbor House. Mom and Heather got in line and I ventured upstairs to find a table. I went to the back of the restaurant on the 2nd floor and discovered a quiet, semi-empty corner and claimed a table. Our window looked out towards the HM:

dis05_0258.jpg

I was at a loss as to why all of those people were congregating outside, and then I realized that they were actually in line for the HM. It was a pretty strange sight b/c I've never again seen such a large horde of people in the HM queue. It still wasn't even that crowded in the MK and we had pretty much walked on to everything that day, so why hundreds of people spontaneously thought it would be a good idea to be involved in such an unwieldy queue is beyond me.

Mom and Heather finally arrived w/ the food (it was an extremely long wait). They had both ordered the chicken nugget meal w/ fries and I had ordered the Lighthouse sandwich w/ chips and a chocolate milk:

dis05_257.jpg

Just as we were starting to eat, these two little boys arrived and saved a nearby table obviously for the rest of their family who was ordering food. Eventually two other adults joined them and they started texting on their phones and paid no attention to the ensuing antics of the little boys. The squirrelly children began racing eachother around the empty tables and being obnoxious. My Mom is an elementary school teacher so her teacher radar immediately went up. Eventually, the little one (prob ~ 7-8 yrs old) started racing specifically around our table. He insisted upon running through a tiny space between my Mom's chair and the wall. As this annoying behavior continued w/out any sign of leveling off, Mom's face grew darker and darker and she wound up scooting her chair back even more so the space the boy was squeezing through was miniscule. But yet the child returned for another go! He grabbed Mom's chair and tried to force his way through. She turned around and used her teacher voice on him. It was pretty hilarious b/c it's like this kid instantly recognized the power of the teacher voice and immediately stopped and retreated, plus he never came back.

Anyway, the sandwich actually sort of made me lose my appetite, and I couldn't finish it even though I was pretty hungry. The hummus was super runny and made the bread soggy, so I pretty much just stuck w/ eating the crusts. Mom and Heather thought their meals were ok but very salty. We all decided that we would not eat at Columbia Harbor House again b/c there weren't a lot of menu options, it was terribly crowded, and the food wasn't all that great. Even though my lunch wasn't all that appealing, my chocolate milk placated me for awhile and I also had Beaches 'n' Cream to look forward to for dinner!

Despite the annoying lunch, we still had the entire rest of the MK to explore for the very first time! We ambled over to Liberty Square:

dis05_0250.jpg

dis05_0251.jpg

dis05_0252.jpg

dis05_0253.jpg

I was pretty excited about Liberty Square b/c DL has nothing like this area whatsoever, except for the Abe Lincoln exhibit which is sort of like a mini version of the Hall of Presidents. I had particularly been looking forward to checking out Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe. We found this amazing antique peach, glass Mickey ornament inside:

dis05_0265.jpg

Mom and I actually debated for several days about whether or not to buy ourselves this ornament. Mom was afraid it would get damaged on the plane. I wound up buying this for my Mom for Mother's Day when I went back to WDW in April. She was SO surprised! When I go back to WDW again next week, I'm planning on buying one of those Disney ornament stands for her Christmas present, so she can display her Mother's Day gift all year round!

Our last stop was the Hall of Presidents (HoP):

dis05_0267.jpg

Haha I don't think any of these people appreciated being included in my photo:

dis05_0262.jpg

dis05_0259.jpg

dis05_0260.jpg

I thought this pic of Nancy Reagan's outfit was pretty funny b/c you can see the reflection of my crown in the glass:

dis05_0263.jpg

Elizabeth Monroe's outfit (First Lady to James Monroe, the 5th president):

dis05_0264.jpg

We sat in the back of the auditorium for the show b/c there were quite a few people. I of course had to take a few pics (w/ the flash off of course) b/c I was enjoying the somber, patriotic ambience so much. I was pretty irritated though b/c for some reason, every time I tried to take a pic my Mom and Heather would go absolutely ballistic and were practically hissing at me to knock it off, thereby creating a much larger distraction than it would've produced if I had just snapped a quick pic w/ the flash off. This is one of the forbidden pics, which came out great if I do say so myself:

dis05_0268.jpg

Being stuck next to Itchy and Scratchy for the entire show was definitely a bore, plus I couldn't seem to stop coughing in there! I was still recovering from this alien virus my Mom had contracted from one of her students and then passed on to me, so I really didn't appreciate it. Of course when I finally manage to get myself to WDW after 25 yrs I have to wind up being sick. Thankfully I wasn't actively sick during that magical week, I just had a lingering cough, but I remember coughing uncontrollably in various attractions at WDW to the point that other people would start staring at me. Anyway, back to Barack:

dis05_0269.jpg

I'll be sure to be much more careful about who I vote for for president in the future since it would be a travesty if someone truly horrendous was elected and I had to stare at their animatronic every time I visited the HoP!

NEXT TIME: It's a great big beautiful tomorrow! Plus, a photo tour of the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

Aw, little Sofia is adorable! And wow, that is a very, very purple nursery! I like how well the purple Minnie Mouse fits in. :laughing: And I like the design above the crib. And that last picture of Sofia, so cute!

Oh man, I love that picture of the giant lifting up the roof in the shop. I've never seen that before!

We arrived at BTMR but we still couldn't get a new FP and the stand-by line was advertised as 25-30 min long. We find queues longer than 20 min to be completely unacceptable, especially for attractions that we love

So true, right? Anything over 20 minutes is just too much. Fast Pass system, you have ruined my patience. Actually, I did wait about 60 minutes for Space Mountain Ghoul Galaxy two years ago since I had never ridden it before, and it was probably the only day I would be there in October, so I waited, but it only reinforced my belief that anything more than 20 minutes is too long. But yeah, I'm with you there.

Oh man, those children at CHH sound so obnoxious! I'm glad the power of the Teacher Voice worked.

And I'm guessing I may have to wait a few more updates for this, but I'm really curious as to how you liked Beaches n Cream. It's on my list of things I haven't done yet, but really want to try. I've been saying I'm gonna go there for like the past three trips, and yet somehow, I never make it.

.Just a quick note on your post containing "Laura's "special" homemade Epcot map... where the hotties are! Let's go" - this was the only reason I joined DISBoards - I am one of the "Hotties" and wanted to message you all lol

I am Paul from the American Adventure pic (See cravat!)... I only knew about your map because a friend of mine from Disney text it to me last night!

I am very flattered!

Paul

:cool1:

.Just a quick note on your post containing "Laura's "special" homemade Epcot map... where the hotties are! Let's go" - this was the only reason I joined DISBoards - I am one of the "Hotties" and wanted to message you all lol

I am Paul from the American Adventure pic (See cravat!)... I only knew about your map because a friend of mine from Disney text it to me last night!

I am very flattered!

Paul

:cool1:

:rotfl: OMG, well I'm very glad to hear that you're flattered and not completely disturbed! :laughing: Thanks for posing for that pic for us. The American Adventure is the best! :thumbsup2

Just finished reading several posts and I loved all the updates! First of all, Loki looks so dignified at church and posing with priests. That new baby is SO tiny and cute! That nursery is definitely insane :rotfl: but I like the butterflies.

I love the illegal patriotic photographs. I'm sure your family hating on your pics certainly created a bigger commotion than the pics themselves. How ridiculous; who wouldn't want to commemorate that attraction? I can't get enough of it!

I hated the Columbia Harbor House as well. We once wanted to write one of those dining reviews about how much we hated every restaurant/food item the Dis heartily recommends (CHH, Tonga Toast, and some others that I can't recall at the moment) and entitle it Debunking Popular Dis Dining Myths, but I guess we were too lazy and never got around to it! That DTD sandwich place would be a great addition to such a report, based on your experience!

That's pretty crazy that you were wearing shorts in weather that was so cold that your sister had to resort to paying Disney prices for some new gloves!

Aw, little Sofia is adorable! And wow, that is a very, very purple nursery! I like how well the purple Minnie Mouse fits in. :laughing: And I like the design above the crib. And that last picture of Sofia, so cute!

Haha yes, my Mom and I joke that that child is going to go into a constant state of hypnosis due to the insane electric purple starburst emanating from her crib!

Oh man, I love that picture of the giant lifting up the roof in the shop. I've never seen that before!

My Mom and sister totally didn't notice it either until they looked at the pic! Such a cute touch!

So true, right? Anything over 20 minutes is just too much. Fast Pass system, you have ruined my patience.

Seriously- I recall waiting in line for hours as a child at DL and it was just the way it was. I particularly remember waiting for 2.5 hrs for Indiana Jones after it had just opened back in 1995!

And I'm guessing I may have to wait a few more updates for this, but I'm really curious as to how you liked Beaches n Cream. It's on my list of things I haven't done yet, but really want to try. I've been saying I'm gonna go there for like the past three trips, and yet somehow, I never make it.

Omg I love B&C!! I took a ridiculous amount of pics in there- that update is coming up quite soon. It's a shame b/c it's really out in the boonies unless you're staying at an Epcot resort. It took us a terribly long time to get there from SoG using Disney transportation, so my Dad was super cranky for awhile, but oh well, it was awesome!

I am very flattered!

Paul

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :worship: :worship: :cool1: :scared1: :laughing: :lmao:

Hahaha OMG how in the Disney World did you (or your friend, I guess!) manage to come upon the pic of that map??? When I saw your post I practically rocketed out of my chair b/c I was laughing so hard. We're so honored that you registered w/ the DIS just to give us a shout out! Thanks for not being completely horrified by our wild antics!

Just finished reading several posts and I loved all the updates! First of all, Loki looks so dignified at church and posing with priests.

Hahaha I believe he's actually considered a friar! I don't know what the difference is though. Loki was pretty much just bewildered at the situation b/c he didn't understand why all the dogs were standing in line and not playing!

I love the illegal patriotic photographs. I'm sure your family hating on your pics certainly created a bigger commotion than the pics themselves. How ridiculous; who wouldn't want to commemorate that attraction? I can't get enough of it!

HAHA seriously!! That's what I told them. Later that evening, on the Great Movie Ride, they practically screamed at me when I was using Heather's camera to take a pic of Mary Poppins and the flash accidently went off.

I hated the Columbia Harbor House as well. We once wanted to write one of those dining reviews about how much we hated every restaurant/food item the Dis heartily recommends (CHH, Tonga Toast, and some others that I can't recall at the moment) and entitle it Debunking Popular Dis Dining Myths, but I guess we were too lazy and never got around to it! That DTD sandwich place would be a great addition to such a report, based on your experience!

HAHA OMG you really need to write this report! We could most certainly include the Earl of Sandwich fiasco. That slimy 2" thick brick of mozzarella in my sandwich still gives me chills. It's so unfortunate b/c I really don't like any of the CS eateries in the MK. Tonga Toast is great if you take like 2 bites of it, so it really needs to be shared w/ like 3-4 people. I couldn't imagine purchasing it w/ the intention of eating the whole thing for breakfast. Even Matt wouldn't order it when we ate there in September!

That's pretty crazy that you were wearing shorts in weather that was so cold that your sister had to resort to paying Disney prices for some new gloves!

I have no idea what in the heck I was thinking!!! :rolleyes: My phone honestly told me that it was going to be 67 deg and sunny. But even so, I'd never wear running shorts to DL in December, and FL was WAY colder than CA, so why I thought such an outfit was appropriate is beyond me!

DAY 3.6: It's a Good Thing That Tree is Swiss!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'm so embarrassed: I still need to post pics from Mickey's Halloween Party in DL and my latest WDW trip from earlier this month. I'll hopefully get to them very soon! In the meantime, I'd like to offer up yet another installment from Day 3, back on 12/19/2010. I actually wrote this on the plane on my way back from WDW on 11/7!

Hello again everyone! I'm currently writing this on the plane back home from yet another WDW excursion! I'll of course post a tangent soon along w/ our best pics. In the meantime, I desperately have to finish this TR before we embark on our next December trip! Oh dear!

Last time we had just finished up our first foray into Liberty Square and had seen the Hall of Presidents. I couldn't wait to see the Carousel of Progress so we headed off towards Tomorrowland. On the way we passed a Prince Naveen/Tiana photoshoot in this gazebo:

dis05_0270.jpg

We also passed the Crystal Palace, which I still haven't managed to frequent:

dis05_0271.jpg

On our way across the hub, we stopped to have a mini photoshoot. I tried to make Heather mimic the Walt statue but neither one of us succeeded and we both wound up looking like nerds!

dis05_0273.jpg

dis05_0272.jpg

We had a photopass guy take a pic of all three of us. He was just amazed that I was wearing running shorts in such inclement weather (it really was RATHER cold, probably the low to mid 40's). He declared that the bottom halves of my legs were totally different colors than the top halves (gee, thanks, like I hadn't already noticed). Ugh.

dis05_0274.jpg

We had to run across the street and into Tomorrowland to avoid the impending parade.

dis05_0275.jpg

The TTA! Or People Mover or whatchamacallit! We were going to go on this, but it was SO cold that the prospect of being seated and enduring another kind of cold breeze wasn't that appealing:

dis05_0277.jpg

Had an amusing view of Stitch from the CoP queue:

dis05_0276.jpg

A few pics from CoP:

dis05_0278.jpg

dis05_0279.jpg

dis05_0280.jpg

Mom refused to even entertain the thought of going near Space Mtn, so Heather and I decided we'd go on it some other time. We were so freezing that we decided to retreat from Tomorrowland and double back to Adventureland:

dis05_0281.jpg

Our first stop was the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse:

dis05_0282.jpg

I was completely stoked to visit the treehouse b/c Swiss Family Robinson was one of those movies that I'd watch over and over again as a child (along with Pollyanna and all those other crazy Disney classics). The treehouse at DL was contaminated years ago by Tarzan theming, so I was pretty excited to be able to enjoy the Swiss Family once again.

Some pics:

dis05_0283.jpg

dis05_0284.jpg

dis05_0285.jpg

dis05_0286.jpg

dis05_0287.jpg

dis05_0288.jpg

The equivalent view from the DL treehouse:

dis01_42.jpg

The ground floor Swiss kitchen:

dis05_0289.jpg

What a fine tree! One of my favorite stories related to the tree is one I heard straight from the mouth of Julie Andrews, who was at the Los Angeles Book Fair promoting her autobiography, Home. She talked about how Walt gave her a personal tour of DL and they were driving around in a golf cart and came upon the treehouse. Walt's eyes started twinkling and he said: "And they said only God could make trees!"

NEXT TIME: Dreamin' along with a jerk!

Good luck with trying to finish this before your December trip! :goodvibes I know I won't finish mine before my next trip, because my parents and I booked a trip for this December 9-14! I'm so excited to finally be able to go during the holidays and see everything decorated!
Sorry, I wanted to share my news with someone who gets it. Many of my friends are like, you're going again? :rolleyes:

Anyway.

I too have tried taking pictures mimicking the Partners statue, and yeah, I always end up looking silly. Though the worst pose has to be when I went this summer with my friend, and the guy told us to pose like Minnie Mouse. He took the picture, we walked away, and looked at each, and were like, "that was the awkwardest pose ever." It was kind of an unnatural position to be in.

But I'm with your Photopass dude, how in the world were you wearing shorts?! I think I would have given up and bought overpriced sweats by that point.
That's a nice picture with you, your mom, and sister. :)

Isn't the Swiss Family Treehouse so awesome when it doesn't have Tarzan? I never saw the movie, but I remember going to Disneyland as a kid, and being so amazed by it. I wanted to live there.

Haven't heard from you in a while, so I'm hoping everything is alright with you and your family.

Wanted to let you know I'll be in LA in March, and there's a very good chance I'll be going to Disneyland on Friday the 23, so I was wondering if you'd want to meet up again at all.

Again, I hope everything is well in your life, and that you'll post another update soon because hey, I miss them!

Take care! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter