June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

Im really going to miss chatting to everyone, do you have internet access onboard? Would be so great to get updates as you sail

Cindy and I are still on the cruise! My computer at work blocked the DIS boards, my phone was too slow to load it, but now I have a computer at home! I retired a month ago and can hardly wait to get on the Magic! We're staying a few days in London before the cruise, at a hotel near Heathrow and taking Disney transportation from the airport. The only worry we have is a return flight at noon. I hope we make it! Otherwise, all excursions are booked (we always take DCL excursions just to be sure we don't miss the ship!) The only place we're running amok on our own is Kirkwall, after our morning excursion. Thanks to all the local people with their tips and advice! See you all soon!

I’ve looked at the Extended Forecast for our cruise ports and thought everyone would like to know what they are. Sail-away from Dover, England, temperature high of 58 with a low of 54 degrees F, more sun than clouds. Newcastle Upon Tyne, temperature high of 60 with a low of 51 and mostly cloudy. Invergorden, Uk, temperature high of 62 with a low of 51 and light rain. Kirkwall, Scotland, temperature high of 52 with a low of 48 and rain. Greenock, Scotland, temperature high of 62 with a low of 48 and light to moderate rain. Liverpool, England, temperature high of 59 with a low of 52 and showers early, more sun than clouds. Dublin, Ireland, temperature high of 57 with a low of 53 and mostly cloudy with some rain. Of course this could change drastically as the climate is very unpredictable but it has given me a range and an idea of wha to pack. Hopefully it will come in handy for someone.

@hygienist999 thats a good idea, since you are just a week out now, I will try to put up a daily weather update from Dublin.

Also, something you might not expect, it does not get dark until after 9.30pm and its bright from around 4am

This is what is forecast for Monday 30 May in Dublin
Average temperature 18 c
Sunshine and patchy clouds with a thundershower in spots from late morning on

So we'll have some time in Invergordon after we get back from our DCL Loch Ness excursion. I found this from the Invergordon Tourism Alliance and thought it might be useful to others: http://www.visitinvergordon.com/ and download the Port of Call booklet that they have. They have an area map and info about some shops in the area, as well as a mural walk that takes about 90 minutes if you do the whole route. I think Gary and I will do that after we return while the guys hang out on the ship.

Also we are planning a stop in Canterbury on the way from Dover back to Gatwick. We weren't really sure what we wanted to do there but today came across a river tour that leaves from the King's Bridge (it's a 40 minute tour). http://www.canterburyrivertours.co.uk/ It looks like a good way to get some information about the area without traipsing through a cathedral, plus there are some shops, etc., along the way on the pedestrian streets. We had asked for about 2 hours stop in Canterbury so this would fill that slot. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was still figuring out what to do on the day we leave the ship.

I’ve looked at the Extended Forecast for our cruise ports and thought everyone would like to know what they are. Sail-away from Dover, England, temperature high of 58 with a low of 54 degrees F, more sun than clouds. Newcastle Upon Tyne, temperature high of 60 with a low of 51 and mostly cloudy. Invergorden, Uk, temperature high of 62 with a low of 51 and light rain. Kirkwall, Scotland, temperature high of 52 with a low of 48 and rain. Greenock, Scotland, temperature high of 62 with a low of 48 and light to moderate rain. Liverpool, England, temperature high of 59 with a low of 52 and showers early, more sun than clouds. Dublin, Ireland, temperature high of 57 with a low of 53 and mostly cloudy with some rain. Of course this could change drastically as the climate is very unpredictable but it has given me a range and an idea of wha to pack. Hopefully it will come in handy for someone.

Thanks - we hadn't really looked at weather until a few days ago and have reconsidered what we were going to pack. We did find that there is no baggage fee for us so we can each take a bag which allows us to take a variety of clothing (long pants, shorts, hoodies, jackets, etc.) While we want to pack fo rthe cooler temperatures, we were also remembering when we sailed the Baltic in July 2010 and most everyone brought cooler weather clothes but the region had a record-breaking heat wave with temperatures in the 90s. Some people had only one set of shorts/t-shirts. Of course there was also the time we didn't properly pack for the Alaska cruise and had to buy some warmer clothing while there (again, we packed tight because we had to pay for luggage then).

@hygienist999 thats a good idea, since you are just a week out now, I will try to put up a daily weather update from Dublin.

Also, something you might not expect, it does not get dark until after 9.30pm and its bright from around 4am

This is what is forecast for Monday 30 May in Dublin
Average temperature 18 c
Sunshine and patchy clouds with a thundershower in spots from late morning on
Thank you Bad Pink Tink; Your forecast, except for the actual temperature, sounds like our forecast the last few weeks here in Georgia, USA. Our sunrise today was 6:25 am and sunset 8:33pm, unfortunately temps in the 90's. Can't wait to for the experience we will have. Thanks for all of your help. I know I appreciate it.

Cindy and I are still on the cruise! My computer at work blocked the DIS boards, my phone was too slow to load it, but now I have a computer at home! I retired a month ago and can hardly wait to get on the Magic! We're staying a few days in London before the cruise, at a hotel near Heathrow and taking Disney transportation from the airport. The only worry we have is a return flight at noon. I hope we make it! Otherwise, all excursions are booked (we always take DCL excursions just to be sure we don't miss the ship!) The only place we're running amok on our own is Kirkwall, after our morning excursion. Thanks to all the local people with their tips and advice! See you all soon!

DISBoards is about the only thing that isn't blocked at work for me :) Congratulations on your retirement - tomorrow is my DH (Gary)'s retirement day. He was so excited about not having to request vacation leave this year :) You should be fine for the return flight although I would definitely make sure to have yourself on the "early flight need to disembark quickly" list - or consider carrying your own luggage off rather than having the porters do it.

We're doing Newcastle, Kirkwall, Le Havre, and Dublin on our own - tours in Newcastle, Kirkwall, and Le Havre, and truly on our own in Dublin. We'll "run amok" in the afternoon at Invergordon and also in Guernsey after DCL excursions in the morning. We're in Liverpool quite late so we will find something to do after our mid-day DCL excursion as well. Our sons will likely just hang out on the ship which works out for me and Gary since we like to poke around shops and just wander around and they don't.

Im really going to miss chatting to everyone, do you have internet access onboard? Would be so great to get updates as you sail

We haven't decided yet whether we'll get internet on the ship but you can bet we'll try to find some in the ports if we don't get minutes onboard.

we're arriving a few days early and staying in Dover. Any recommendations on transportation from the airport to Dover? Will it be hard to catch a taxi to London on disembarkation day to London?

we're arriving a few days early and staying in Dover. Any recommendations on transportation from the airport to Dover? Will it be hard to catch a taxi to London on disembarkation day to London?

We are using Coastal Cars for transportation from the port to the airport on disembarkation day. They are charging 120 GBP from Gatwick to Dover (and vice versa, not sure about to Heathrow). I know a lot of folks have booked with them but you could contact them - they are online. Where are you staying in Dover pre-cruise? We're at Churchill Guest House.

I asked the Invergordon Tourism Alliance if they knew of anything special planned for when we arrive for our maiden visit. Here was their reply:

"As far as I know there will be a piper meeting the ship when it docks. There will be other entertainment in the town throughout the day and the normal pipe band for the ship leaving. We have been asked, by Disney, not to advertise any specific events prior to the ship's arrival and we have to respect their wishes."

It is about 75 miles from Central London to Dover and around 100 miles from the airport to Dover. Coastal Cars is a good suggestion. Or check some of the resources on this site - https://www.londontoolkit.com/mnu/london_airports.htm#dover A taxi would be very costly.

See you soon!

So we'll have some time in Invergordon after we get back from our DCL Loch Ness excursion. I found this from the Invergordon Tourism Alliance and thought it might be useful to others: http://www.visitinvergordon.com/ and download the Port of Call booklet that they have. They have an area map and info about some shops in the area, as well as a mural walk that takes about 90 minutes if you do the whole route. I think Gary and I will do that after we return while the guys hang out on the ship.

Also we are planning a stop in Canterbury on the way from Dover back to Gatwick. We weren't really sure what we wanted to do there but today came across a river tour that leaves from the King's Bridge (it's a 40 minute tour). http://www.canterburyrivertours.co.uk/ It looks like a good way to get some information about the area without traipsing through a cathedral, plus there are some shops, etc., along the way on the pedestrian streets. We had asked for about 2 hours stop in Canterbury so this would fill that slot. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was still figuring out what to do on the day we leave the ship.
Hi! I spent a year in Canterbury studying at the University in the 90's and was back in 2014 to visit. The boat tours are definitely a relaxed way to see the perimeter of the city and the city wall. That said, they're a new arrival and definitely geared to tourists. The "river" is more of a wide creek, and even more like a moat. The walled city is surrounded by the river making it a bit of an island. While cathedral tours can seem dull, Canterbury Cathedral is the home of the Anglican Church and it is one of the oldest churches in the UK (the head of the Church of England is the Archbishop of Canterbury because of the cathedral's age) and it is beautiful. It's also not your usual cathedral tour because it's the site of the murder of Thomas Becket. My son, then 8, was enthralled by hearing the story at the exact location.... You can take a guided cathedral tour (see here:http://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/visit/information/) and, since your boys are grown, you might take a guided walking tour of the city (see here:http://www.canterburyguidedtours.com). If you have any Dickens fans, you'll spot lots of places in Canterbury you've read about in Dickens' work. Dickens was from Rochester and he spent a good bit of time in Canterbury (think "David Copperfield"). Canterbury was a Roman town and in a book store off High Street, there is an aqueduct you can see behind glass. Lots of great English history in Canterbury. Definitely worth time and a legit tour. Oh, and lots of shops and restaurants. It's a touristy town-- always has been, remember Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales," the city is built on its tourism via pilgrimages. Canterbury has some lovely gardens and a castle ruin. Can share lots more if you're interested. Maybe on board :)

Anyone else flying from MCO on Thursday on Virgin Atlantic? If so, look for us and say hi. I'll be carrying a red and black Castaway Club bag and wearing a purple shirt.

We are using Coastal Cars for transportation from the port to the airport on disembarkation day. They are charging 120 GBP from Gatwick to Dover (and vice versa, not sure about to Heathrow). I know a lot of folks have booked with them but you could contact them - they are online. Where are you staying in Dover pre-cruise? We're at Churchill Guest House.
We used Viscount Chauffeur Service on a prior trip. Robin Renton is owner and driver. You will never meet a nicer person and his van is immaculate. I think he's from Kent so he may be excited at prospect of a cruise pick-up. He's usually driving to Heathrow and into city and back. robin.renton1@btinternet.com, 07973 718295. We're renting a car b/c of our touring before and after the cruise. Had we not rented, I would have called Robin. You might check with DCL, they have transport to airports also.

Safe journey everyone, I know from tomorrow 1 June people are starting to fly to Europe. Have a magical time on your cruise and maybe I might see some of you in Dublin. If anyone needs any help while in Europe I will still be here on Dis most days

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter