June 2022 - Oldest Daughter Graduation Trip

RMColosimo

Mouseketeer
Hello All,

Figured I would give this a whorl, and see if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.

Last June I asked my oldest daughter what she wanted for a graduation present, and she said a trip to Disney, and the ability to bring some friends. Okay.. We have been going to Disney for a while, and my three daughters have all been at least 4 or 5 times each. So I looked at options, and after running some numbers, I figured I would do something I have not ever done, stay at the Fort, but in a camper. But how to do that, since I own three mini vans, and no camper... Well, rent one of course..

So some background on everyone.

There is Me, Dad(49M), and my wife (45F), and three daughters, (18) She graduates from HS, and has been accepted to Kent State into the Nursing Program. (15) and (13) daughters. Originally my oldest had three friends that were going to come, including her boyfriend of three years. But as of today, we are down to just her Boyfriend coming along. So a total of six of us, and the first time I am going on vacation with another male. So that's a first for me. My daughters boyfriend is also graduating HS, and has been accepted to Kent State(see a pattern) as well, into the Mechanical Engineering program. He is a great kid, and I am excited to have him along.

Where are we going to stay?

So I contacted a few camper companies a year ago, and some were already sold out. Wow.. A year in advance... But I got a great deal on a camper from June 10th - June 20th, for up to 10 people. I choose one of the Disney Approved rental companies, Meacham RV, Meacham RV Website . Great service, and nice people all around for the reserving process and lots of great reviews. We did add on a Golf Cart at the initial registration. I'll get into how I added a second one later. My wife and some of my daughters have some dietary concerns, so we like to have a place to cook ourselves. I also like to stay onsite, so I hope this will be a good balance. I'll be honest, we are not saving any money vs staying in a room at a moderate resort(where we usually stay when we are onsite.)

The plan to get to Disney:

Well, we planned to drive from day one, it's cheaper even with a stop at a hotel along the way, and we have made the drive at least 5 times. We change it up, but it is not that bad, and I take a few extra days off work, so we can have a more leisurly drive down. It's a ~16 hour drive to Orlando, and we have only done it straight through once, and it is just not our style. I am always awwed by all the people who get into thier cars and drive 20 hours and then talk about going to the parks. I need sleep, and turn into a grumpy gus without sleep. Heck, I was in the US Navy for four years as a kid, and sleep deprivation was part of the life. Maybe that is why I like my sleep now? Who knows, but that is how it is for me now a days. So we stop in GA and get a hotel on the way down and make the final drive on the day of and it is just a few hours.

The Camper we rented:
Here is a link to the you tub video. We rented FW54 and it looks great for the six of us. You tube Video of Camper FW 54
There is a laundry list of things that they supply:
  1. Blankets, pillows and sheets for all of the beds - any bunks and the queen bed. If you need bed sets for the dinette and sofa let us know, there is a fee for the extra bedding.
  2. A set of 10 - 14 bath towels, 4 hand towels , 4 wash cloths, and dish towels
  3. Dishes, mugs, glasses and silverware for 8
  4. Cooking utensils
  5. Set of basic pots and pans
  6. Cookie sheet and oven pan
  7. Crockpot
  8. Electric skillet
  9. Kuerig K-Cup Coffee pot, Filters, Folgers coffee and hot cocoa
  10. Dish soap, Hand soap, and cleaning supplies
  11. Roll of Paper towels , 4 pack of RV Toilet Paper
  12. Tinfoil
  13. Outside mat
  14. 4 camping chairs
  15. awning lights
  16. BBQ utensils
  17. TV / DVD player
I added the golf cart at the time we reserved the camper.

The things that came up

So part of the fun of going to Disney is all the planning. And we have to learn so many new things. We had to make park reservations, okay, that's different. And no fast passes any longer.. And this new Genie + thing... Sigh.. So not going to do anything in advance and let the Genie + thing happen if we need it. At 15/day per person, it really is an extra I am not thinking I want to absorb. We have 10 days onsite, and I hope to do everything we want without it. <shrug>

Daughter's Boyfriend, had an event he wanted to be back for, and he didn't want to ride with the family for 16 hours. So he and my daughter are going to fly down, and he is flying back. I had enough frequent flyer miles to get my daughter down for free, and I even had like 100 bucks of credits to give to him. So they will get down there early at like 8:30 AM. The flight time has changed a few times in the last few weeks, but it keeps getting earlier. So they leave Cleveland Ohio at 6:30 AM. I will hopefully be sleeping in a bed in some hotel room at that time. :)

About two weeks ago, so about six weeks out, I did the math, and realized with six of us, and only four spots on the goldf cart, I needed a second one. So a quick email, and some additional funds, and we had a second Golf Cart reserved for the 10 days. MY wonderful wife is still thinking it over to see if the cost is worth it, but I just did it. (We have been married for 22 years, so she will just frown at me, but I know it is the right choice, and she will too.)

Schedule, with reservations:

DateParkRestraunts
Friday, June 10, 2022​
Magic Kingdom
Saturday, June 11, 2022​
Epcot6:05 PM Trail's End
Sunday, June 12, 2022​
Magic Kingdom9:40 AM Ohana's
Monday, June 13, 2022​
Hollywood Studio's
Tuesday, June 14, 2022​
Epcot
Wednesday, June 15, 2022​
Animal Kingdom7:05 PM Artist Point
Thursday, June 16, 2022​
Hollywood Studio's
Friday, June 17, 2022​
Magic Kingdom
Saturday, June 18, 2022​
Animal Kingdom
Sunday, June 19, 2022​
Hollywood Studio's
Monday, June 20, 2022​

Reservations:

My daughter choose the Trails End dinner on Saturday. It's an odd place for a graduation dinner, but she thought it was something different, and really wanted to eat there. I already called and added a "Disney" congrats cake for the graduation girl. It will be a suprise to her, so hopefully I pull that off. :)
My wife chose Artist Point, and she loves the dwarfs, and the characters that will be there, so money well spent.
And for some reason, my family fell in love with Ohana's, so we try to go there for breakfast everytime we are at Disney.

More to add:

Well, lunch is over, but I'll add more, and clean this up later. Feel free to comment, and make any suggestions. Always open to things we should do.

Exciting. We are trying out the campground in Sept. but bringing our own trailer for the first time. Didn’t even realize you could rent one all these years we been going.

Can‘t wait to hear more love reading trip reports. You can learn a lot.

So 9 days out from leaving to go, and nothing really new happening. Got the second gold cart for the trip. We were looking at doing H20, but at 75/person(450.00), that seems like a pricey option when we are already buying the tickets for park hopper/water park.

I am a planner, and just making sure that we have the roiutes that we know where we are going, etc.. Checking to see if the boat to Wilderness Lodge is running now, as we have the Artist Pointe dinner reservation. Also, trying to see what "tricks" to try to get the Gaurdians Queue, but I figure I will pay for the LL option as a second attempt to get it, since that is a new ride and no way to just get thier early and wait in line.

Some of the "new" rides since last we went:
Epcot
Rattatooie
Gaurdians
Animal Kingdom
None
Magic Kingdom
None
Hollywood Studios
Rise of the Resistance
Mickey and Minne runaway railray
Smugglers run

I think that's about it... Anyone else have any "fun" suggestions for me to get my kids focused on for the last week countdown?

I have to go and buy giftcards for my kids, so that they can have thier own money. :)

Following along! I suspect I will be planning a grad trip in two years happy to see how it goes!

Well only two days out, and we have to get a new cooler for the car. But I have gotten an oil change, gotten the air filter changed, because why not? I have put RainX on the front and rear windshield. I'll have to take pictures and upload them of the van.

We have a middle seat in the middle of the van, so we took that one out, so we lose a seat, but have lots more room. It's a 2021 Kia Sedona, but we drive a ton so have 30k miles on it. With the gas price increase, my budget for fuel is shot, but still not more than what flying/renting would cost, just eats into other budget items, but well within my slack account. :)

And Disaster has struck. Driving home from work and some idiot caused a major accident, and he slammed into my van. So we had to look for other options to get to Florida. And now we are flying, and leaving at 6am, at the airport by 4am, and at Orlando by 8am... Have to leave two days early. So leaving for the airport soon.

Sigh...

But at least I feel okay, but my eye is messed up, I must have popped a blood vessel in the accident.

Oh no! Hope your eye doesn’t give you anymore trouble on your trip. That’s terrible , glad you weren’t really hurt bad and could still go.

Have a great time , can’t wait to read about your trip.

Oh my gosh!!! Just started following. Hope you are on your way and all is well! So sorry about your car accident! Have a wonderful trip! Congrats to your daughter (as an aside I am a nurse :) my husband of 31 years is a civil/environmental engineer and we went together all through high school... sooo hopefully you do like your DD boyfriend lol).

Truly have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear how it all went :)

We made it to Orlando. I'll get this moved to Trip Reports, or just copy it over and link this one. :) And link the new one.

Sorry, long day. We ended up getting s flight at 6am, so that meant getting to the airport at 4am, and leaving at 3:30 am. Lol... So most of us got almost zero sleep prior to the flight.

But we got a reservation for two days at Double Tree Suites by Disney Springs. It's a long walk to the Springs, but not that bad. We ate at Polite Pig and ventured around to some of the bakeries and got snacks for our room. Then we all collapsed at 7ish and fell asleep.

All of us are up before 6am, so we are working on plans for today. :)

Trip Report : Trip Report

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter