July 4th . . too crowded?

mickeyjan

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about going to WDW over the fourth of July 2003. How bad are the crowds? Should we stay or should we go . . . any suggestions?

We were there staying at PBH this July 3rd-July 6th and the crowds were not bad at all. Since we stayed on-site we had FOTL... but, until Saturday July 6th we would not have even waited long without it.

It was also great to be able to see the fireworks from 3 locations at the same time!

:wave:

Mickeyjan,
I say go! We went from June 29-July 5 this year and had an amazing time. I, too, was worried about the crowds. Maybe it was because I was braced for the worst, but I didn't notice it being that much more crowded than when we went in early June in past years.

I had decided that I wanted to watch the fireworks from the MK because they have perimeter fireworks for 4th of July. In other words, fireworks go off simultaneously all around the park while wonderful patriotic music is playing. Several CM's at our resort asked us where we planned to view the fireworks. Each time we said, "At the Magic Kingdom", their faces would wrinkle up and they would warn us, "You know there are going to be A LOT of people there?" They warned us that the park would probably close to any other guests (even resort guests) by six or seven. They warned us that we would be squished with our arms tight against our sides on Main Street. I didn't care. I was going to the MK! DH, DS, and myself got there at 8:00 am to get the special Tink Fourth of July pin. Then we left and went to Blizzard Beach. BB was the least crowded I had ever seen it. We returned to MK around 5:00 and roamed around then reported for our 6:45 PS at Liberty Tree Tavern. We walked out into Liberty Square around 8:30 and it was fairly empty. We knew this was a good spot for fireworks so we grabbed a spot and waited for 9:00 to roll around. It never did get very crowded in that area. I guess everyone went to Main Street!

So if you plan ahead, expect crowds, and use fastpasses, you are in for an incredible holiday. I was moved to tears by the fireworks.

Thanks . . . that makes me feel so much better about going at that time. I am a teacher and do not have a lot of options. :bounce:

Well, I've been there for New Year's, and the 4th, and I hate the 4th! It's hot, it's crowded, I don't think I'll ever do it again! I'd consider New Year's again, but the only down part is the VERY HIGH room rates.

last year our vacation was over the 4th. We were at IOA on the 4th and I didn't think the crowds were that bad. The longest line I saw was 45 mins for the Incredible Hulk and Spiderman rides at 1pm. We went to DD that night and it wasn't that crowded.

But in 2001 the 4th was on a Wednesday and this year the holiday was on a Thursday. Next year the 4th is on a Friday . . . and I'm sure many more people will travel because they can make a weekend out of it, or strech out a week of vacation with a long weekend on the front end. I know I will!!

:bounce:

In 2001 we were there over the 4th(1th-5th) and it was sooooo crowded on the 4th it wasn't even enjoyable. this year we were there from June 28th to July 3rd and it didn't seem as crowded and the year before.

A friend of mine was there this past July 4th.... They stopped letting people into the park at some point during the day because they reached their attendance limit... It doesn't get any more crowed than that.

If you want to see how many people they can fit into MK, then go in July4, otherwise I would suggest a going some other time.

When we were ther on July 4th we had a ps for Chef Mickeys for dinner, when we were coming out of dinner we heard some people saying that the MK had been closed. we got on the monorail and it started pouring so we just stayed on there and rode it around about 6 times, the rain must have cleared some people out because we were able to get in, but as I said it soon became very crowded, I left because I just couldn't stand it.. We were staying at CSR that year and when I returned to out room I was standing outside and to one side I could see the MGM fireworks and to the other Epcot, so I gusee I had the best seat in the house

Originally posted by timC
A friend of mine was there this past July 4th.... They stopped letting people into the park at some point during the day because they reached their attendance limit... It doesn't get any more crowed than that.

If you want to see how many people they can fit into MK, then go in July4, otherwise I would suggest a going some other time.

We actually walked into the MK at 8:58 pm on July 4th. We tried to go to MGM, but 2 buses were too full for my mother's ECV and the elevator to the monorail at the Contemporary was broken. We wasted over an hour trying to get to MGM :(. We ended up walking to the MK, walked in and were directed immediately back stage. We watched the fireworks from there. No crowds :). Afterwards, we walked through back stage to Tommorowland where we saw a line for the Tomorrowland Transit Authority! Was it crowded, you betcha!

tta.jpg

We were there this year for the fourth, and avoided the MK. We went to EPCOT instead to watch the special version of Illuminations. It was beautiful!! I am sooo glad we went! I didn't think the crowds were any worse than they were when we were there the previous year during our spring break (last week of March). I would definitely do it again, but won't be in 2003. My DD is getting married the next week, so I will be too busy for Disney!!:) :)

We have been going to WDW the week of July 4th for many years, and we love to go during that time. Yes, it can get crowded, but we avoid MK and stick to Epcot on the 4th.

This year the 4th was on a Thursday, and many companies gave people that Friday off, making it a long weekend. I thought the crowds this year were less than last year, but I think that was due to 9/11. Next year, the 4th falls on a Friday, so actually it will be a shorter weekend than this year.

We find that the parks are open a little later during this time, and certain attractions that are closed at other times (COP, and Timekeeper) are open for this holiday week.

Yes, it is hot, but I have to tell you that it was cooler in WDW (85)the week we were there than back home in NJ (98). As a matter of fact, this whole past 10 days has been cooler in FL than in NJ. NJ's summers stink, so the heat/humidity in Florida doesn't phase us that much.

Generally, we think it is a very festive time to visit WDW. Also, because we won't pull the DD's out of school, and I also work in the school system, and my DH gets limited vacation days, this works out to be the best time for us to visit. :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

One plus I did see for the 4th was traveling down on that day this year, we took a flight that is always oversold (it's our "usual" flight), and there were lots of empty seats (I got one beside me). Now, if the ticket agent would have let me upgrade to first class (geeze, she wouldn't even let me talk long enough to say I wanted to do a cash or mile upgrade), it would have been perfect - there were actually 3 people in f/c (20+ seats)!

We will be in the parks July 3-6, and my current plan is to do MGM on the 4th since they do Sorcery in the Sky, don't they? I plan on avoiding MK. It will be cool to be there once on the 4th.
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter