July 3 rope drop strategy and other thoughts

LSUfan4444

DIS Veteran
Staying at Portofino so will have express pass and ability to walk over. Our top priority will be Velocicoaster and we only have one day (two parks).
We're AP holders and have been three times since reopening during COVID and both times seemed to have a different park opening procedure at IoA as far as how the lines were formed.

So, I know nobody can predict what July 3 will look like but I am wondering how it is working today. Also, I do not see what the current early admission availability is....does anyone know about when that can be expected to be released or am I just not looking in the right place?

Is it possible for me to get in line for early admission at IoA prior to 7am then the wife and kids meet me maybe closer to 7:45 (assuming IoA has early admission) or me get in line for 7:30 for a standard 9am opening but they meet me a little closer to 8:15?

Per the USO App, both parks open early (8am) on July 3. Can't help much with the rest of your questions, as we're first-timers. But I'm interested, because we arrive July 5. 😁

Is it possible for me to get in line for early admission at IoA prior to 7am then the wife and kids meet me maybe closer to 7:45 (assuming IoA has early admission) or me get in line for 7:30 for a standard 9am opening but they meet me a little closer to 8:15?

Obviously things change day to day with Covid. Here's what we experienced last week.

Studios opened early for hotel guests. We got off the boat at 7:30 for 8 am early entry for studios. Line was all the way back across the bridge past the NBC store. We took one look and said nope and got in line for Islands. I could see the gates of islands from my spot in line which was around 7:45. My kids walked away and sat down on the rocks near the front entrance. within 10 minutes the line to get into Islands stretched across the bridge and around.

I would say 8:30-they opened the gates and let us into the park. People separated into L (for Hulk) and R (for Velocicoaster and Hagrids). I went L to stay with my son, while my daughter headed right. We were held for maybe 5-10 minutes there before they released the hounds and everyone flooded to the lockers at Hulk.

So yes, you can have your family meet you closer to 8:15, but I wouldn't push it to 8:30. Once the line started moving there's no way you could connect with someone. Too many people. Of course the park doesn't officially open until 9 so the times could always change but that was our experience.

Per the USO App, both parks open early (8am) on July 3. Can't help much with the rest of your questions, as we're first-timers. But I'm interested, because we arrive July 5. 😁
Interesting...I just checked the website and it said 9

Thanks for the heads up

So yes, you can have your family meet you closer to 8:15, but I wouldn't push it to 8:30. Once the line started moving there's no way you could connect with someone. Too many people. Of course the park doesn't officially open until 9 so the times could always change but that was our experience.

So I did see on the app today that IoA has early admission at 8am...so, say I want to go get in line at 6:30/6:45 and drink my morning coffee, catch up on news, enjoy the silence, etc since I can walk from Portofino. A good time to tell the family to come meet me would be 7:15ish?

So I did see on the app today that IoA has early admission at 8am...so, say I want to go get in line at 6:30/6:45 and drink my morning coffee, catch up on news, enjoy the silence, etc since I can walk from Portofino. A good time to tell the family to come meet me would be 7:15ish?
That sounds like a solid plan to me :)!

Are people generally ok with the rest of the family coming in later to meet up with the designated line holder?

I'm in a similar situation in that we're only going for one day and plan to do both parks. I'll have express pass and early park admission but my question is which ride do I go to first, Velocicoaster or Hagrid's? I assume I'll do the other ride afterwards.

Are people generally ok with the rest of the family coming in later to meet up with the designated line holder?

I'm in a similar situation in that we're only going for one day and plan to do both parks. I'll have express pass and early park admission but my question is which ride do I go to first, Velocicoaster or Hagrid's? I assume I'll do the other ride afterwards.

Hmmm...I didn't consider the fact that additional family members joining the "place in line" holder could indeed upset some folks - good point...

I'd scoot to Hagrid's first as Velocicoaster is actually more reliable/has less down time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter