Judge Mathis

lol counter sue for harassment and maybe you'll come out on the winning end :lmao:

a co-worker was on mathis a few years ago and he took it for the free trip to chicago. really we don't even live that far away from chicago...but he wanted to go, lol.

::yes::

lol counter sue for harassment and maybe you'll come out on the winning end :lmao:

a co-worker was on mathis a few years ago and he took it for the free trip to chicago. really we don't even live that far away from chicago...but he wanted to go, lol.
:thumbsup2

If I remember correctly she did, sometime last week.

Wasn't she the neighbor complaining about the drainage from an addition on your house? the real nutcase neighbor?

Suzanne

I believe so and if this is correct. I would love to see her face when she is busted out for *maybe* illegally renting her basement and being a sourpuss:rotfl:

It sounds like a good deal. Especially if they are going to pay the claim if you lose. File a countersuit for harassment, and be sure to tell us when it airs!

OP, what dollar value would you put on your privacy? Your dignity? Are they worth $4000 to you?
I don't watch any of the so-called judge shows because I think they demean the very people they are supposed to be helping.

About a year ago I tried to get my ex on Judge Judy to try to get money I loaned him. Frankly i did it because I knew she would eat him up and it would be fun. I was told by her producer that each case gets a fund of $5000. Lets say I sue someone and win $3000. I would get my $3000 and then we would split the remaining balance. Also, we would each get 2 plane tickets and a hotel for a night. My stupid ex would not agree to it and I had to file a small claims case which drew the attention of Judge Joe Brown ( it was a pretty fun case) but of course he would not agree to that either. In the end I ended up winning and getting my money plus I added some stuff I was going to let slide but decided to stick it to him...
I would do it. yes, the shows are a little trashy but if you are mature and just stick to the facts you wont come across trashy and unless you are a public figure I doubt it would affect your professional life.
Oh.. and BTW.. if the entire fund is awarded to one person then the other one gets an appearance fee.. so you are guaranteed at least that fee win or lose.

You couldn't pay me enough to appear on a television program that covered any litigation to which I was a party.

I would think about you and your wife's professional careers. I don't think appearing on one of these shows and possibly damaging one of your careers is worth 4k, or maybe nothing if you win.

I don't see what this has to do with it. How could being on a court show damage anyones career? Even if their employers see them on the show I cant think on a single thing they could be reprimanded for.

I don't see what this has to do with it. How could being on a court show damage anyones career? Even if their employers see them on the show I cant think on a single thing they could be reprimanded for.

Being on a court television show could potentially bring negative to any company the participants work for. I wouldn't want any employees appearing on any of the shows. Depending on the state you work in and whether or not there is a union there could be consequences to someone. I reside in NY and they have a hire and fire at will policy. This means an employer can fire someone for any reason they feel fit, as long as it's not discrimination. This would certainly fall within this category and could cost someone their job. Companies don't like negative publicity of any kind. While it might not be direct publicity against a company, many people would know where any participant works and that would look negatively on the company. After all the employees represent the company in the community. I don't think that it's right that they can do this, but that is how the labor laws work in NY. I don't know about other states but I'm sure some others have the same laws.

Being on a court television show could potentially bring negative to any company the participants work for. I wouldn't want any employees appearing on any of the shows. Depending on the state you work in and whether or not there is a union there could be consequences to someone. I reside in NY and they have a hire and fire at will policy. This means an employer can fire someone for any reason they feel fit, as long as it's not discrimination. This would certainly fall within this category and could cost someone their job. Companies don't like negative publicity of any kind. While it might not be direct publicity against a company, many people would know where any participant works and that would look negatively on the company. After all the employees represent the company in the community. I don't think that it's right that they can do this, but that is how the labor laws work in NY. I don't know about other states but I'm sure some others have the same laws.

I have to say, as a business owner, that I disagree with this. As long as one of my employees was not bringing my business into it, what do I care what they do with their personal time? And Maine has an "at will" employment policy too. I couldn't IMAGINE firing someone because they were on TV! If I worked for an employer who wanted to do that to me, I'd say "fire me" because it's not an employer who I'd want to work for in the first place!!

I have to say, as a business owner, that I disagree with this. As long as one of my employees was not bringing my business into it, what do I care what they do with their personal time? And Maine has an "at will" employment policy too. I couldn't IMAGINE firing someone because they were on TV! If I worked for an employer who wanted to do that to me, I'd say "fire me" because it's not an employer who I'd want to work for in the first place!!

I am also a business owner and I never said that I would fire someone. The pp had said she couldn't think of anything an employer could do and I was simply stating what could happen. Being on a court tv show could certainly have a negative impact on a business though. Certainly someplace like a coffee shop or convenience store wouldn't be impacted, however if someone employed by a small medical practice or even mechanic appeared it could affect their business. I feel it depends on the type of business someone works for. It all depends on the circumstances in which they are appearing in court, but I was simply stating the possibility of what could happen. As for what employees do with their personal time, normally it doesn't matter. However if it were something that would reflect negatively on my business and potentially cost me money I wouldn't hesitate to do something about it. I'm not saying I'd do that in this case or any other court tv case. I did have an employee that was arrested and is now in prison that I terminated. He was convicted of drug charges and assault on a police officer after a traffic stop. I debated for over a week about how to handle it and he hadn't made bail during that time either. In the end I felt it was best for my business to cut ties with him. He did all of this in his personal time and I feel it was my business, his drug use could carry over to the work day and affect not only him but my other employees too. This all occurred during his personal time, but due to the crime I feel I was within my rights to terminate his employment. My hesitation at doing it immediately was because he had a wife and 2 young children. I was concerned for them.

If I remember correctly she did, sometime last week.

Wasn't she the neighbor complaining about the drainage from an addition on your house? the real nutcase neighbor?

Suzanne

Based on the facts you presented before, I can't imagine that you could possibly lose this case. Furthermore, this neighbor sounds crazy enough to jump at the chance to be on television. ;)

As long as you maintain your cool and present yourselves as reasonable adults (with lots of documentation to back your case), the neighbor is probably going to make a fool of themselves on national television.

There are many things that I wouldn't go on television over, but I wouldn't view this as being particularly personal or embarrassing. I'd probably do it.

Just don't lie to your employer(s). Tell them the truth about where you are going and why. If they have an objection, it can be discussed then. :thumbsup2

Based on the facts you presented before, I can't imagine that you could possibly lose this case. Furthermore, this neighbor sounds crazy enough to jump at the chance to be on television. ;)

As long as you maintain your cool and present yourselves as reasonable adults (with lots of documentation to back your case), the neighbor is probably going to make a fool of themselves on national television.

There are many things that I wouldn't go on television over, but I wouldn't view this as being particularly personal or embarrassing. I'd probably do it.

I have to agree 100%.

Just don't lie to your employer(s). Tell them the truth about where you are going and why. If they have an objection, it can be discussed then. :thumbsup2

She is going to have to go to court either way, might as well go where she won't lose any money.

And based on what she posted before I don't think her neighbor stands a chance of winning, only making a fool of herself or even getting herself in some hot water.

Suzanne

I think she should go for it. However, to take time off work, I think there should be some up front info provided. DH and I are self-employed. If we had an employee come to us with something like this, we'd tell them to go for it....again. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter