John Lasseter head of Skydance animation

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Jan 9, 2019.

1. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

2. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I don’t think we will ever know the full truth of what he did at Pixar - just hope he has learned and grown and can create a more open and welcoming culture here - and keep his hands to himself when I wanted

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Krandor

Krandor Mouseketeer

Best he’s gone from Pixar but have no issues with him getting a second chance. I’m sure he’ll be under close scrutiny and on a short leech.

Clockwork and Tiki Birdland like this.
  5. jknezek

jknezek DIS Veteran

Freudian slip? Autocorrect? Leech, lech, leash...

EdmondD likes this.
  6. Brocktoon

Brocktoon 21st Century Schizoid Man

Taking any politics out of it, it's a pretty smart move by Skydance. It seems like a start-up from an animation house point-of-view, so they need all the leadership talent they can get even if they have good animators. The animated world isn't just Illumination and Pixar anymore ... look at stuff like 'Kubo' which I felt was right up there with some of Pixar's best. In the next decade could we see Skydance become the next big powerhouse?

7. AurumPunzel

AurumPunzel Mouseketeer

I'm already seeing nth wave feminists plotting a boycott of Skydance, conveniently ignoring the fact that Lasseter apologised for his behaviour. Whatever happened to redemption?

8. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Most of these boycotts don't end up amounting to anything. I certainly do believe that he deserves another chance.

9. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

At least the company acknowledged the past allegations and told employees an overview of how they addressed them. I have no desire to watch his future projects but if a company wants to hire him that’s their business.

marcyleecorgan and amberpi like this.
  10. AurumPunzel

AurumPunzel Mouseketeer

I also recall when people used to boycott South African fruit and vegetables because of Apartheid. Didn't stop the general public from buying them and supermarkets from importing them.

11. Dfan79

Dfan79 DIS Veteran

I don't care if he hugged people too long, the guy is a genius. I hope he gets his revenge on Disney for being too PC.

rendy7 likes this.
  12. rteetz

I have to imagine it was a little more than hugging...

DisFanDad, marcyleecorgan and amberpi like this.
  13. Dfan79

Dfan79 DIS Veteran

But wouldn't he have been roasted more like Kevin Spacey? Disney's acting like it was a minimal crime that ruffled only a few peoples feathers.

14. rteetz

Disney didn’t want a PR mess so they kept things as quiet as they could.

DisFanDad, marcyleecorgan and amberpi like this.
  15. The Pho

The Pho A heck of a paleontologist if I do say so myself

Which now benefits Skydance since the public knows nothing more than “unwanted hugging”.

marcyleecorgan and rteetz like this.
  16. Dfan79

Dfan79 DIS Veteran

Disney did the same thing with James Gunn. But the difference was that Gunn seemed to really, really...really deserve it.

17. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Yeah, screw being pc and promoting an all inclusive culture where are employees keep their flipping hands to themselves. People wringing their hands about being “too pc” always makes me wonder what in the world could possibly be problematic about a supportive non-threatening environment.

18. Dfan79

Dfan79 DIS Veteran

Take it easy amberpi, it's not like he's Bill Cosby. He could just be one of those weird touchy feely uncles or grandparents. It couldn't have been that bad if he's still getting job offers.

19. Kaleidodad

Kaleidodad Librarian Mickey

Actually it was Gunn's firing that was about Disney being "too PC" (because of bad old tweets), whereas Lasseter was more of a #metoo situation.

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  20. Dfan79

Dfan79 DIS Veteran

That is like comparing Charlie Manson to a jaywalker. Gunn talked about inappropriate, unforgivable things with minors. He deserved what he got and then some.

His big buddy Batista can join him if he thinks otherwise.

21. Kaleidodad

Kaleidodad Librarian Mickey

Gunn told some off-color jokes which Disney was well aware of for years before some alt-righters brought them back up as a gotcha. And they got him indeed. But they were obviously jokes, even if they were inappropriate or offensive to some. I for one don't care what somebody's tweeting if they are making awesome movies like GoTG.

I don't see how you can say Gunn "got what he deserved" but then defend Lasseter's behavior in this day and age. Both firings were knee-jerk overreactions IMO, and I'm glad both talented guys are getting opportunities elsewhere.