Jet lag/ tiredness/best way of journeying homeu

hELEN H

Earning My Ears
Any ideas folks. we went to Orlando last year and it was great. only thing we found really difficult is the overnight flight. The kids slept but me and hubby only dozed a bit. We had to drive up to the East midlans and even though we took it in turns we were so tired. As we arrived early morning we couldnt check into a hotel as we did the night before going. We are wondering about the coach/train for our next trip over new year. Anyone from the midlands or further north found a good way around this
thanks
helen

I know how you feel

This is a real problem. We came back from Mexico last year on a flight that landed at 06.00. We ended up pulling into the services on the M4 and trying to sleep in the car for a couple of hours - it was awful and sortof wiped out how good the holiday made us feel.

Living in west wales I have this problem most times I travel and I have tried all options to see which is best. The train is pretty awful because there is so much waiting around on cold platforms after a long flight and if you land at the wrong time you hit the commuter trains.

I think also we all tend to rush to try and get home quickly so we can crash out. One year coming back from Greece on my own with my daughter I took my time after landing at Gatwick and had a shower (they have public ones there - very clean) and breakfast and sort of went past the extreme tiredness that seems to hit me about 2hrs after I get off the plane. The journey home was much more relaxed then and I felt fresher and more awake.

If you are in east midlands though the journey isn't so long and the train might be an option but I think you would have to get the Gatwick train into Reading/Paddington and then change.

Karyn

We have done all the options. Train, good going there, but awful coming back. The coach, you have to change at heathrow and took forever. Driving, very scary driving home after being so tired. Last year we went with friends, so we all shared a mini bus, that was great it picked us up at the airport and we all flaked out. However the price is so expensive if you are not in a big group. This year we are trying something completly different, I have booked a night with free parking in the Le Meriden going out and a day in the hotel coming back. So the theory is we step off the plane and into the hotel room, sleep, shower etc and then drive home later in the day. The cost was less than the taxi/hotel. I would have had to pay £210 for the Travel inn plus taxi. Now I am paying £109 for the hotel/parking the night before and £75 for the day let.

So we will see whether it is a good idea!

Thanks for your replies and ideas. We got our tickets today for dec. But we did have to pay up front to BA for flight only.We are off to Anna maria island and sanibel. Hoping to go to Busch gardens
helen.

You lucky people going to Sanibel!
The Gatwick Hilton does a take-off/touchdown rate which gives you accom & parking when you fly and the daytime use of a room for a nap when you get back.
I think you have to contact them direct for this option. Maybe someone else could tell you a bit more about it.
Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter