Jenner/ESPYs

I think she deserves it. Do you really comprehend how sports franchises/athletes/fans deal with people who are any thing except heterosexual?

They either play don't ask don't tell or the are harassed, ostracized, and basically driven out of their sport.

Even now it's all about disrespecting his ability, cause I'm pretty sure no one on this board can go out a win an Olympic decathlon, it's all about his gender and his current placement on TV.

So yeah I think it takes a lot of courage for an athlete, a MALE OLYMPIC athlete to come out embrace their difference and encourage others to be themselves and for the rest of the world to accept them.

I say good for her.

I agree that coming out for anyone, but especially someone in a field that has historically been less than understanding of homosexuality, transgender people, etc., takes courage. My question is what has Jenner done in addition to embracing her change publically to help others? Does she speak with young athletes about acceptance? Does she donate / help raise money for a realted organization? I don't follow her, so I honestly don't know. If she does those types of things, then I could see making an argument in favor of her being given ghe award.

I will not watch it either. I'm happy she is happy, but courageous is not a word to describe what she did. She made a choice to change sex, wow. How many other people have already done this? She got the attention because he was a washed up old athlete the came back to the attention of America because of the kardashians who are famous for nothing.

When was the last time she did anything as an athlete? It would be different IMO if she transitioned at the height of her fame, but its been decades. I knew Bruce Jenner was in the Olympics but it was only recently I found out it was for running, I thought he was a tennis star. Other than his accident and pimping himself on a reality TV show, and now revealing Caitlyn (sp?) what has she done that deserves to be honored? Nothing IMO.
I agree with other, there are others that are far more deserving to be honored for their courage.

I think she deserves it. Do you really comprehend how sports franchises/athletes/fans deal with people who are any thing except heterosexual?

They either play don't ask don't tell or the are harassed, ostracized, and basically driven out of their sport.

Even now it's all about disrespecting his ability, cause I'm pretty sure no one on this board can go out a win an Olympic decathlon, it's all about his gender and his current placement on TV.

So yeah I think it takes a lot of courage for an athlete, a MALE OLYMPIC athlete to come out embrace their difference and encourage others to be themselves and for the rest of the world to accept them.

I say good for her.

I think killing someone should nullify you

For anyone who doesn't think it's brave, take a look at the comments anywhere on the internet about her change. Heck, look at some of the comments on the various threads on the DIS. It is extremely brave of her to make this public. Does she deserve an award for it, I'm not sure but to say what she has done isn't brave is a huge disservice to her. Homophobia and Transphobia are still rampant in the world and are not going to go away.

She had to make it public for her reality show, otherwise nobody would watch it. I don't consider that brave. YMMV.

She had to make it public for her reality show, otherwise nobody would watch it. I don't consider that brave. YMMV.
So tired of all of the publicity. She isn't the only one who has done this yet gets so much press for it.

Do you really think she could have done it out of the spotlight thought? That she could have gone to say..Sweden to live and people would just forget about Bruce Jenner. That in six months no one would say hey...we haven't seen Bruce in a while..wonder where he is. No, she would have been searched for and found. There is no way this could have been done with no attention.

Do you really think she could have done it out of the spotlight thought? That she could have gone to say..Sweden to live and people would just forget about Bruce Jenner. That in six months no one would say hey...we haven't seen Bruce in a while..wonder where he is. No, she would have been searched for and found. There is no way this could have been done with no attention.

Not currently. However, had she never hopped aboard the Kardashian attention-whoring train, then yes, it could have been done differently. Given how much it appears she was a part of the show and their always-in-the-spotlight lifestyle, I have trouble not attributing a certain anount of attention-seeking to her timing and handling of her decision.

It is possible to be very supportive of people who are transgender and still have a negative opinion of Jenner. I know a young person who is transitioning, and I fully support her and would do anything in my power to make sure she isn't bullied or made to feel bad. (This isn't directed at you, Kimblebee; it's just a general observation .)

Not currently. However, had she never hopped aboard the Kardashian attention-whoring train, then yes, it could have been done differently. Given how much it appears she was a part of the show and their always-in-the-spotlight lifestyle, I have trouble not attributing a certain anount of attention-seeking to her timing and handling of her decision.

It is possible to be very supportive of people who are transgender and still have a negative opinion of Jenner. I know a young person who is transitioning, and I fully support her and would do anything in my power to make sure she isn't bullied or made to feel bad. (This isn't directed at you, Kimblebee; it's just a general observation .)

I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I watch the Kardashian show. Believe me, I look down at myself for watching it LOL I got hooked when a channel showed a marathon over the Christmas break and I needed something mindless to watch for a few days. Anyway....Bruce went along with the show but it was Kris driving the train. I don't think he initiated it at all and he, at times, sure didn't seem like he liked being there. I'm not defending him because he could have chosen to not be on the show (maybe, maybe not) but I just don't think he's the attention ***** everyone makes him out to be. At least he wasn't.

I don't think she needed to sign a deal to a reality TV show about for E! (that's Entertainment TV). That isn't being courageous, that is pimping out your life for profit. You can call that courageous, I choose to call it something else.

I don't think that Jenner was a good choice either but I feel so because I believe that the award should be sports related. If that makes me ignorant so be it.

No I agree on that front, she hasn't done anything related to sports in quite some time. I'm talking about people who still refuse to use the right pronouns when talking about Caitlyn and the people who say coming out to the public isn't brave.

I'm too tired to think right now but I'm sure there are actors,singers, politicians, etc who have won awards that have also killed people.

There are tons of athletes that are allowed to win Super Bowls, world cups, the MLB award (see, I'm tired) who have committed crimes.

But most of those are based upon actual achievement in the area they earned the award.

MVP's did something (usually) that was pivitol to the victory.

What achievement did Jenner have that was sports related that was deserving of this award. He is not even part of sports any more (that I am aware of).

From "coming out" perspective, Michael Sam would have been more deserving.

No I agree on that front, she hasn't done anything related to sports in quite some time. I'm talking about people who still refuse to use the right pronouns when talking about Caitlyn and the people who say coming out to the public isn't brave.

Chill out. We've all publicly known Jenner as a "he" for 40+ years & all of Jenner's accomplishments took place as a "he".

And like most celebrities, Jenner seems to abhore the notion of being ignored a lot more than being bad-mouthed. So, forgive us if we take this outing as less than "brave" at this stage of Jenner's life.

Michael Sam coming out prior to the draft? That could be called brave. Caitlyn's transformation? Meh. Now, if that makes me "ignorant" in your eyes, well so be it. There are all kinds of ignorance & all kinds of bigotry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter