Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

We were "winging" it last week, just popped in to watch the show...didn't really expect to get chosen (and didn't) but wanted to share.
We noticed ALOT of matching sets got chosen- the Jedi Master selected 2 or three sets of matching kids.

Great info. :thumbsup2

What kind of "matching sets" were they?

That makes sense. It probably avoids family drama that would occur if one gets picked & the other doesn't.

I'll include this info on the front page of the thread....siblings should match....& have signs. ;)

Oh man! We went to this show with our son who wanted it soooooo bad. The first day by pure coincidence he had on a Star Wars shirt as well as his b-day button. He didn't get picked. Everyone always got picked around him-never him. Our hearts just broke for him, I seriously felt like crying. I think we tried that show 3 times that day! On the second day we let the kids each buy something & my son's choice was to build a light sabre. It happened that we were heading to the show for another try right after that. He got picked right away with that light sabre!!!

Anyway, the kids who got picked had something distinct about them.....light sabre, Star Wars shirt (although that didn't work for us), really little & cute, and another thing we saw was groups of kids with matching shirts.....

At the end of the show we were given a picture thing for the pics they took & told they'd be ready in about an hour. We decided we'd wait until park closing & look on our way out. Well, we did just that & got up there to find the shop had closed!!!! They apparently were closing it early that night to prepare for Grad-Night. I tell ya, I pleaded with that man out front-this was the last day we were going to be there. He held strong. Finally I asked if he could go in & get them for me. I am such a baby but I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. He looked at me, snatched my ticket & said he'd see what he could do. :love: He went in & they matched up our pictures with my son & put them on a Photo Pass card for us to view at home. I was sooooooooooo thankful. WHile he was inside my son looked up at me & said, "Mom, you don't have to cry." :laughing:

The other guy that came out to stand guard was asking us about our experience with getting my son into the show. He said that wearing something special usually helps & that some kids come thru in full costume!

I really think this experience sealed the deal on my son having a trip to remember forever. :worship:

Just wanted to post about our experience...we were there last week and ds did the Jedi Knight training, first show, 10:30 am, on a Tuesday. There were a TON of kids there! The kids started sitting on the blue line at about 10. It was SO hot with NO shade, lol, but we staked out a spot.

I had read this thread, so I tried to do as much as I could to maximize ds's potential of getting picked. :rotfl: I am *so* embarrassed at how geeked out dh and I were, but hey, it was for ds, right! :lmao: Dh and I wore Star Wars shirts that said "Star Wars Mommy" and "Star Wars Daddy", which we made by using a very nice designer's design from the Dis-ign board. Another designer who makes name designs had this awesome Star Wars name design, so I asked her to make one for ds and she was very nice and made it for us. :)

So, we had a geeked out mommy and daddy, plus ds in a SW shirt. I also made him a sign, per the advice on this board. :worship: When I looked around at the other kids, there were at least 10 others I saw who were getting out their signs! I think the secret is out! :eek: There were also a ton of kids in SW shirts, and some in full out costumes AND signs! :scared1: I saw a few parents give their kids menus or just pieces of paper to hold up that were not *real* signs - which bugged me a little because I had printed mine out beforehand, but I can see why they did it when they saw how many other people had signs!

There must have been 40-50 kids trying to get picked that day, and even though I thought we had planned well, it looked as though everyone else had planned well too! I was worried ds would not get picked, especially since he is pretty shy and not one to make a loud ruckus.

Ds held up his sign (shyly of course, lol), dh pointed down at ds, and I tried to smile nicely, lol - and ds was the third one picked! We were so excited.

But honestly, if it is a busy day, it seems like the signs might not be enough! :confused3 Kids who had on SW shirts did not get picked, and even some who had signs did not get picked. It almost seemed like a contest - who could be the most over the top!

All in all, it was an amazing experience and ds was thrilled to have been chosen. I am SO grateful to everyone who shared their tips on this thread, otherwise ds would have had no chance whatsoever. If it is not a busy day, then there is probably not much to worry about, but if you are there when the crowds are high, definitely take some time to prepare!

I hope this helps someone! And just for kicks, here's a pic of ds - he had a blast doing this and although he was scared at first, now that the experience has sunk in a bit, he says he hopes to do it again!

DSC_0438.jpg

It's brutal competition, huh!? Funny about the signs, when we went we didn't see any. Lightsabres were the thing when we were there.

Can you bring your own toy lightsabers into the park? Will they be confiscated by security? I'm wondering if I should try to bring them from home along with a sign.

Thanks for the great tips!!
My family and I were there last week. We were in the park on Aug 13th and 15th. My husband made signs the night before for our 2 kids, one with a drawing of Yoda and one with a drawing of Darth Vader, and we tried our luck at the first show. On the first day, we arrived at 10am and were one of the first ones there, so we got to be in the front of the crowd. My kids were standing next to each other and were picked together - the second and third kids picked for that show. We were so excited! They got to be on the stage too.
On the 15th, my son wanted to do it again, but we were somewhat confident in the signs this time so we didn't rush over there. We arrived near 10:30 and were in the back, but the sign worked again!!
On the first day, we were the only ones with signs, but on the second day, there were a couple other kids with small signs, but they got picked too.

:thumbsup2

:yay:

Thanks for the great tips!!
My family and I were there last week. We were in the park on Aug 13th and 15th. My husband made signs the night before for our 2 kids, one with a drawing of Yoda and one with a drawing of Darth Vader, and we tried our luck at the first show. On the first day, we arrived at 10am and were one of the first ones there, so we got to be in the front of the crowd. My kids were standing next to each other and were picked together - the second and third kids picked for that show. We were so excited! They got to be on the stage too.
On the 15th, my son wanted to do it again, but we were somewhat confident in the signs this time so we didn't rush over there. We arrived near 10:30 and were in the back, but the sign worked again!!
On the first day, we were the only ones with signs, but on the second day, there were a couple other kids with small signs, but they got picked too.

Thanks for sharing this JNB Travels. :)

& Pink Blush & My Monkees.....thanks for sharing your experiences as well. :thumbsup2

I'll repeat this (because i can ;)).... for anyone who has an aspiring padewan (aka a kid) between the ages of (say) 4-11 & he/she has even a slight interest in Star Wars:

1. If your kid gets picked it could be his/her trip highlight.

2. If you want your kid to be picked (& who doesn't).....have him/her jump up & down & wave a SIGN (when the Jedi Master is making selections).

It's been over 2 years since i started this thread & after dozens of posters & hundreds (thousands?) of readers....we have NEVER heard of a kid who is waving a sign NOT get picked.

As they said on the Faber College statue....."Knowledge is good". :cool2:

We were there on August 11 for the 10:30 show and I believe we were the only family with a sign. Our nephew was picked and the Jedi Training master mentioned the lovely hand made sign.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Thanks for the tip. It made our nephews day to battle Darth Vadar!

We didnt have signs when we went, but DS was wearing a Star Wars tshirt and they were in the very front. Unfortunately he didnt get picked the first time around. They stayed for the second show and he got picked then! DS didnt mind...he got to watch it from the audience, then experience it himself! :lmao:

We went in December and were so lucky that both our kids were picked to participate. We arrived on the Nemo side about 10:00 and both DS and DD sat down in the front row waiting for the show to start. Neither one had a Star Wars shirt or sign or light sabre. We just took a chance and were so lucky they both got picked. First, DS was picked third "as the boy in the pod goggles". (He wears glasses.) Then after what seemed like an eternity my DD was picked as "the girl in pink". (She was wearing plain pink sweatpants and sweatshirt.) She was only one of about three girls they picked. There weren't very many girls there to begin with. I would've felt so bad if she hadn't been picked after her brother was picked. But thank goodness it all worked out and they were both picked. We told them up front to not be disappointed no matter what happens and just to enjoy the show. (I know, I know easier said than done.) It's pure luck if they get picked and boy were they both lucky that day. And it's something they will always remember and cannot stop talking about even now all these months later. It was the highlight of their trip. In fact it's probably the highlight of any trip they've ever taken. Good luck everyone. Hope all your kids are able to experience Jedi Academy at least once. :earsboy:

We were there Sat Aug 22. We went to the first show. My sons wore their Star Wars t-shirts, held up "Pick Me!" signs, and we had our light sabers next to us for extra measure.

We were the first ones picked (and the only family with signs). It was an awesome experience.

I offered my signs to families waiting for the next show. I hope they got as good use out of them as we did.

We saw this show by accident in July. We were walking by when it started and kind of saw it from the side. It was so awesome, and something I know my kids would love to be a part of. I have two girls and a boy, and they all LOVE Star Wars. Watch it weekly with Daddy. My kids DO NOT look alike at all, I'll have to make sure I put them in matching outfits with signs so we can try to get picked next time. I think if they didn't all get to go up there together we would have some serious trauma. Is there a min age though? Ds is only 3.

I made my son a sign that said "The Force Is Strong with This one" with the arrow pointing down...he got picked right away. That day he was wearing a Star Wars shirt as well. He was also picked a second time which we were totally not expecting.
Here are two pics that were taken by the photopass photographer from the second time he was chosen. I loved these pics!

Image0215.jpg

Image0219.jpg

It helps to be little, sparkly, and dressed as Tinkerbell too. There weren't any kids with signs when we were there, but there was a boy in Jedi clothes (he was picked second). My sparkly little Jedi Tinkerbell was picked about halfway through and put front and center on the top stage - probably for laugh factor! She had a hard time with her light saber and needed quite a bit of extra assistance - which the Jedi master used for jokes :rotfl: She LOVED it though, and immediately began begging for her own light saber (which we bought) and talking about beating up "dark bader."

I made my son a sign that said "The Force Is Strong with This one" with the arrow pointing down...he got picked right away. That day he was wearing a Star Wars shirt as well. He was also picked a second time which we were totally not expecting.
Here are two pics that were taken by the photopass photographer from the second time he was chosen. I loved these pics!

Image0215.jpg

Image0219.jpg

Great pics MommyWDreams. :thumbsup2

I love that shot of him ducking....(at the instruction of the Master Jedi of course). :)

Great pics MommyWDreams. :thumbsup2

I love that shot of him ducking....(at the instruction of the Master Jedi of course). :)

Thanks Hydro...that was one of my favorites too. I just LOVE the expression on his face in that picture. He meant business!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter