Jean's return to healthy living plan ( friends welcome anytime )

AuroraluvsPhillip

Placed in Gryffindor, so red is my color
Ok, I finally found these journals. This is where all you guys communicate! ;)

I joined the Independence Day Challenge and have done nothing about it until last night when I lifted for the first time in a long while. Today I'm at work, drinking water, peeing my brains out, and eating healthier. Had a nice garden salad with tuna and about 1 cup cut up fruit and 10 oz. skim milk.

Plan to get out and walk 2-3 miles when I get home...

Long term goals:

1. 140 lbs. by my 45th birthday in Sept. (160 now)
2. Want to get back into a size 10-12 (14-16 now)
3. Want to regularly strength train as a habit to decrease my chance of fractures as I am perimenopausal and don't want to lose more bone!

Hopefully I will continue to use this journal. Supposedly you are more apt to stay OP if you force yourself to write everything down. It has certainly worked for alot of you! Congratulations!

Jean (AuroraluvsPhillip) :wave2:

Welcome Jean!:wave:

I have found journaling to be very helpful in my weight loss journey. It has helped me to be more accountable with my decisions and to identify certain eating patterns that cause me to make unhealthy food choices or binge. Plus, it's very helpful for tracking your progress and for the encouragement that you will receive.

I think that your long terms goals look great! They are very attainable.::yes::

Welcome to the world of WISH journaling! You will find a lot of support and encouragement here! :Pinkbounc

Have a great Monday!

Tracy:wave2:

Ok, I'm home now from work. My DH and DS had gone to the Red Sox game today, so my DD and I treated ourselves by going out for dinner....not a good idea, Jean!

I had some roast chicken, about 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, some green beans and unsweetened iced tea. No dessert! BUT, I ate 4 rolls!!! It was funny, but about halfway through the meal, my stomach started killing me with really bad gas pains, right up into my shoulder. The only thing I could think of was my system was freaking out because of the big salad and the fruit that I ate for lunch...Too much fiber.

Well, now that I had my little splurge, I'm going to go for a walk in a bit. I'll let you know how that goes.

I am reading some of the journals. I love reading what people are eating everyday. The successes inspire me, but the slips inspire me more...see, people do lose weight, get to goal, whatever, and still have to make choices on a day to day basis.
It is comforting to me to see people fall off the wagon, but get back on and get back OP! Nobody is perfect always.

Did pretty well yesterday. Ate well except for some cheating at dinner, and got my cardio in, as well as my water and vitamin. This morning I'm 1 pound lighter. I know it may be temporary or a fluke, but it's encouraging.

So far today I've eaten:

Bran flakes with skim milk
grape tomatoes-yum!!!
About 1/2 my water

Gonna have an apple later for snack and a usual dinner with smaller portion sizes.

Back to work now...

Well, I was away from Thursday through Monday, not working out and eating poorly, but fortunately the scale today said I only gained one pound. I was good today. Did cardio and weights, drank water, took my vitamin, avoided the junk.

I bought some extra salad stuff and fruit at the store today. Also some sugar free jello and yogurt, low fat chocolate pudding, and some "Carb Conscious" Thomas' english muffins. I bought them because I was looking for a healthier english muffin and these are 100 calories apiece, minimal fat and 9 gms of fiber. I put strawberry fruit spread on them. Yummy.

I am on vacation this week so there is no excuse not to work out every day...hopefully I can control my binge/emotional junk eating too. I have appointments every day so I'll be driving around for part of the day, otherwise I'll just do things around the house to keep from snacking.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Good morning,

I walked 3 miles for two days in a row. Yesterday was a killer, so hot. Much cooler and cloudy today so it should be a breeze when I go out later.

Been taking my vitamin every day. Need to increase my water intake a little more. Probably getting 32-40 oz right now. Trying really hard to avoid the junk. Had a few Oreos yesterday, but that's better than half a bagful! I paid attention to myself eating them and thus was able to stop before it got out of control. I'm also trying to eat smaller amounts of healthier foods, more frequently....trying to get something in every 3-4 hours.

I think I will do lower body strength training now before the kids get home from school. I haven't strength trained for a couple of days and I need to build muscle.

WISHing is hard work!!!;)

Jean, nice start here! You don't say what type of eating plan you are following. It usually helps us to know how to encourage you. For instance, a weight watcher person would look at my journal and say Bad day when I was eating cheese, and a bacon double cheeseburger with one bun, but that would be just fine on my plan.

It also helps me to set weekly goals for exercise to measure myself by. Of course, my weekly goal is minimum 3 x per week, plan is 4-5 times, and the last three weeks, I think I've averaged 2 times a week. But I know that I can't take my 5 month exercise clippie since I haven't reached my goal!

Welcome to journaling. It really does help to write it all down! And some of the nicest people on the DIS read these journals!

I also find that eating several small meals a day helps me stay OP and keeps my metabolism going. :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: really helps! Have a great day.:D

Hi Jean,

Welcome to the journals. You seem to be off to a great starts. Your goals are definately obtainable. Keep up the great work.
Beth

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm trying to do cardio 5-6 days a week. I used to be a runner many years ago, but my hips and knees won't tolerate even short runs now. It may be due to the added weight or my age, but I really want to do something weight bearing for the bones, so walking is it for now. Maybe when I've been at it for a few months and upped my mileage, I'll grab some new Sauconys and try adding in some jogging. I really miss it!

Food wise, I'm trying smaller portions, more frequently. Less junk, less fast food, more wholesome and less processed food...ie more fruits and veges, more whole grains, less sugar. I don't do a formal program. My hubby sort of follows Atkins, he's lost some weight, but is at a plateau now because he won't exercise...just cutting the grass once a week is all he'll do...

I want to try to do strength training 3-4 times a week. When I was at the gym I did it everyday, alternating upper and lower body each day. I was really starting to get cut then! I have to focus more on that. I have free weights sitting in front of me...need to just use them.

Thanks for the encouragement...you are keeping me away from the Oreos RIGHT NOW!!! Even tho it's almost midnight, I want them...pathetic...BUT I WON'T SINCE I'M W.I.S.H.ing!

Hi Jean!:wave:
Sounds like you are off to a good start!::yes:: Keep up the good work!:Pinkbounc

Have a great weekend,
Tracy:wave2:

OK, folks...
I ate too much at dinner tonight, and I was bloated as all heck. Now I will do free weights and walk NO MATTER WHAT!

No matter that my DH is complaining that I spend too much time on the DIS and not enough cleaning house....:rolleyes:
DON'T EVEN ASK...HE WON'T DO IT...

It always seems that whenever I'm consistent with exercise, the housework goes downhill and vice versa...if only I didn't have to work full time...oh well...

Any encouragement or suggestions appreciated...sorry I'm being pathetic today.

I did really well with eating the past 3 days, and water too. Just ate 2 bagels w/ marg. and 2 chicken patties with veges. That's why I'm bloated now.

Ok, here's what I did last evening:

2 sets of 10 reps with weights, 9 upper body and 6 lower body exercises, followed by 2.4 mile walk outside. I wanted to get at least 3 miles in, but I kept getting into the flight path of too many bugs...

Making healthy choices requires constant attention and monitoring for me. I assume at some point, months maybe, it will become less stressful and more automatic. It reminds me of when I used to smoke. I was a chain smoker, just had to have something in my mouth. Initially when I quit, I had to avoid all situations that I used to connect with smoking, like eating with my friends and drinking. I just had to avoid those situations for a few months. Now I seldom, if ever, even think about it. I did alot of unconscious, emotional, hand to mouth type eating too...bags of chips, cookies, etc. while watching TV, reading, computer time. So I have to change those habits. Obviously I'm not going to give up computer, TV or reading but I'll do something different, such as sip hot tea with some Splenda, or some sugar free hot chocolate.

Just had to write down those insights. Hope everyone has a great day!

Thanks for stopping by my journal. It is amazing how many nurses frequent all these boards.

I hope you have a great weekend and stay OP. It is very hard I know, but so worth it.:D

Hi Jean,

I'm another one of those nurses. I have to say that part of your hip/knee problems probably stem from nursing. We can be on our feet for upto 16 hours staight, while lifting 400 pound people. Many of the women I work with, me included, have knee/hip problems. You are doing a great job. My only suggestion is that you take measurements the 1st of each month. You are doing weight training, so the pounds might not be showing on the scale. I was so frustrated last month when I lost only 4 pounds, but when I measured I lost 5 inches. It really does help when the scale won't cooperate. Keep up the great work.
Beth

Thanks guys for the encouragement. We nurses are so used to taking care of everyone but ourselves...

I walked yesterday but forgot to vaseline my toes so I'm blistered today...may not be able to walk. I'm gonna do the downstairs today, that'll take about 4 hours or so. I have to work days tomorrow, then we're going out to eat for Father's Day. I will skip dessert, appetizer...stick to a main entree, salad, ice tea, and coffee. I had 2 bagels for breakfast today, will skip lunch, sip on tea, or V-8, have some fruit in a little while and hopefully go easy on supper (roast pork planned)

Maybe tonight I'll get in some weight training. I've got a busy week. My DS17 is going to Washington next weekend for a week with Presidential Classroom. He's never been away for that long before. I'll be ironing and packing most of this week, and helping him get organized with money, phone card, cameras etc. Should be fun for him though, and a good experience.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

You're right we don't care as good care of ourselves as we do of others. Sorry about you forgetting to apply the vaseline. That truly sounds like it hurts.:(

Well, I'm at work now. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! We're going out at 6 for dinner, so I will eat very lightly at lunch so that I can have my filet...yummm. I will avoid alcohol and dessert and maybe the potatoes...to cut calories. Maybe they can double up on my vegetables instead...there's a thought.
I am a little disappointed that I haven't lost any weight yet. My Independence Day challenge is 0/6 still. I know why to. I don't work out at the gym. The elliptical machine was a great calorie burner for me and I know walking isn't cutting it. I just might have to get on that dreaded Nordic Track...

Have a great day everyone!:sunny: :sunny:

Have a good shift. You shouldn't have any problem substituting veggies for potatoes. So many people are doing lc, I've not had a problem substituting, even at italian places. I understand your frustration with the Nordic track. I just don't feel very coordinated on it. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Have a good one,
Beth

Hi Jean!

Thanks so much for stopping by my journal and encouraging me! I just had to do the same for you. I have read through your journal and wanted to say how impressed I am with what you are doing. I'm always amazed with people that don't follow a specific program but look at their eating habits and make adjustments. I could never do that but you are doing so well and I wanted to say way to go!!!!

I sent you a pm regarding the FIRM. I think you'd like the combination of cardio and weight training. It has done wonders for me and like I mentioned in my pm we'd love to have you on our WISH thread anytime!

Regarding the housework and exercise, I know what you mean. When I focus on me (diet and exercise) the housework does suffer. Fortunately, DH helps around the house but nobody cleans like you clean, know what I mean? What I'm going to try to do is take one room a day to straighten up and then do a general cleaning maybe once a month. I already get up at 5:30 during the week to work out and 7:30 on the weekends and it's just hard to fit cleaning in when you work full time we do.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some encouragement. I'll check on you again soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter