January 29, 2022 - 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Fantasy

ditchdiggert200

Mouseketeer
Booked and ready to go. Didn't see Meet Thread started yet for this awesome cruise! Can't wait and as of right now, the kids don't know. More for a surprise and 'Woohoo' we're going than anything.

I'll be curious to keep watching to see who the sailing protocols change and evolve over the next 5-6 months..

Me, too! Waiting for Southwest to open up their bookings for January on September 16th. My friend is flying in from Switzerland so we'll probably hold off on her plane reservations. With the Paid In Full date extended, I have it on my calendar to pay around Thanksgiving, does that sound right to you? I never thought when I booked this in February that there would be ANY doubt . . not, I don't know. Need a change of scenery so have my fingers crossed. We still have 5 months to go.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan although i did get some "Droid" stamps for postcards. Timing just worked out. Thanks for starting our Meet Thread!

No problem! This will only be DW and my 2nd Disney Cruise. #1 was in 01/2020, just before the shut down. We were supposed to go on 'this' cruise in 2021 with the kiddos, but went to WDW instead.

That does sound right, I'm thinking it now like 12/1 instead of 10/1. I haven't completely decided if we will be paid in full by the original date yet or not. Being Silver Castaway, I'm still wondering if I want to be paid in time for 'regular' scheduling of events. 1 so I don't forget 🤔 and 2 so I can still sign up for things... 🤞

I don't think I will PIF by the original date just because things are so fluid? Are you doing this cruise with the kids this time? How old are they? I did some with my nieces back in the early 2000's. I DO love the Disney ships. But now am thinking maybe I will try another line due to the cost. The last cruise I was on, though, I happened to see Goofy walking down a hallway and he gave me a thumbs up and I got all giddy. And I really didn't care that much about the characters . . . I guess deep down inside I did? Maybe it's just that they are familiar? I mostly do the cooking classes. And walk around any port on my own.

What are you looking to sign up for? Not even sure what will be offered then. We should post the opening dates for signing up for things? Although I probably won't sign up for anything, it would be helpful for the thread.

Don't tell anyone but I do have a small carry on bag that I have started to throw things in for the cruise. One of which is a pack of extra strength sticky notes for messages to each other and our cabin steward. AND I have started to collect $5's and $1's for tips. Don't use cash too much anymore and have an online bank so I can't just walk into any bank and have them give me change.

Where are you coming from? I am in Nashville. Again, thanks for starting the thread!

Yep, planning to take the kiddos on this one too. It's currently a surprise, in case things happen they won't be as disappointed. DD - 12 DS - 10 at time of sailing. DW and I want to do a few things with them that we did on our honeymoon 15 yrs ago :oops:. I want to do at least one of the tasting events in the bar or lounge. Bourbon or whiskey maybe?

Not a bad idea. I can put something together and get it added.

North Central IN. Looking forward to the warm weather in February!

If you do the silver/gold/plat sign up dates, I'll pull some info on each port stop? I am gold, wish I could sign up for a tasting on your behalf? Do you have to be PIF before you can sign up for things? It's kid of confusing.

Add to that the news that the September Fantasy sailings are now 4 nights instead of 7! I guess I might be tempted to splurge on a fancy hotel room at WDW for 3 nights, but I don't know. I really just wanted to relax. Maybe things will be sorted out by the end of January.

North Central Indiana - I was born in Fort Wayne! A Hoosier by birth. This is my first trip on the Fantasy. Mostly on the Magic and once on the Wonder and the Dream. I rather enjoy the smaller ships. But I don't have kids. Did I read that right, that you went on a Disney Cruise on your honeymoon????

Here is as screenshot of "Booking Window" dates for this cruise. Yes, my understanding is you have to be PIF before you can book anything on board or excursions.

I re-read the part about my honeymoon, bit confusing and not clear. Sorry about that. We went on RCCL cruise for our honeymoon, but this DCL cruise has the same port stops that we took, with the exceptions of Jamaica (different ports in country) and Castaway Cay (RCCL went to Labadee, Haiti as their 'private island').

I'm hoping since everything is so fluid right now it will be a bit more firm by the time we are supposed to sail. Seems like everything is changing daily.

I just got off the phone with DCL about that weird email from this morning about the Sept 1st cancellation date. She said the date on our confirmation/reservation are the dates that count in terms of changed/cancellation fees. A bit confusing.

She also said that DCL has not been booking more than 50% Capacity since they started accepting bookings again. Of course that may change but at this point, our cruise is only 50% booked, if that.

Thanks for the Excursion Booking windows. I have to say I am tempted to not PIF until I have to unless things with Covid miraculously clear up by October 16th. . . .

Here is the Itinerary as of today:

SATURDAY JAN 29th - Dept 3:45
SUNDAY JAN 30th - AT SEA
MONDAY JAN 31 - COZUMEL (8:30 AM - 4:45 PM)
TUESDAY FEB 1 - GEORGETOWN, GRAND CAYMAN (10:30 AM - 5:30PM) ** Tender"
WEDNESDAY FEB 2 - FALMOUTH JAMAICA (7:30AM - 4:45PM)
THURSDAY FEB 3 - AT SEA
FRIDAY FEB 4 - CASTAWAY CAY (8:30AM - 4:45 PM)
SATURDAY FEB 5 - Walk the plank at Port Canaveral

Ditchdigger . . . how was RCCL? I have cruised on a couple of other lines but keep coming back to Disney. Familiarity maybe? HIgh standards? Or are they just plain PRETTY ships? Distinctive. I was on the balcony of a Carnival ship that looked over at the Cruise buses pulling up to the Magic and I was crying inside . . . . I SO wanted to jump ship and stowaway with Mickey! or Goofy. And I'm not even really fussed about the characters. My (now ex) husband and I did spend a night on the Queen Mary - tied up at Long Beach. It was kind of cool. They were filming an episode of Quantum Leap. And there was a prom - so the young people walking around the ship with tuxes and long gowns reminded me of the Titanic, before the iceberg of course.

RCCL was nice. It's been a while since we were on that cruise. IMHO, It was nice but not done with that 'Disney touch'. DW and I agreed that if we were to have done it over, we would have gone on a Disney cruise. We aren't gamblers or heavy drinkers, so for us we don't need that 'vibe' so to speak. Yes, Disney cruises are more money. Yes, it's Disney, but it's DISNEY.

I definitely agree with the high standards and pretty, distinctive ships. There is just something 'magical' about being on a Disney Cruise. CAN"T WAIT! 🎆🚢🎉

Hey guys!

Me & the hubby are on this cruise. Kids are grown so none of them this time around, lol. Coming from CT & HOPING that the cruise remains at 50% but everything else is back to "normal" when we take off, lol. Is that too much to ask?

Hey guys!

Me & the hubby are on this cruise. Kids are grown so none of them this time around, lol. Coming from CT & HOPING that the cruise remains at 50% but everything else is back to "normal" when we take off, lol. Is that too much to ask?

Nope! Not at all too much to ask! There is enough time for testing and adjusting that I'm being optimistic you are 100% correct! 🤞

Hey guys!

I think we'll get that PIF thing done sooner, rather than later, just because I don't want it hanging over my head. We haven't booked an excursion since we had the kids, but rather enjoy just wandering around the port of call. My husband has a "thing" about always keeping the ship in sight, lol.

We have done this exact cruise before - right down to the Star Wars (we're not ardent fans, either) theme. It's super cool seeing these characters walking around. Most favorite stop is Cozumel (aside from Castaway Cay) - least - Grand Cayman. Jamaica was nice, but we probably wouldn't venture out of the cruise ship "touristy" section again without signing up for something ahead of time.

I am hoping that buffets are open & that no masks are required indoors by the time we go. I'm vaccinated & totes understand mask mandates - I'm just hoping we're past that part of the pandemic at that point is all. BTW, re: cell service. At Cozumel, there's a Starbucks at port where many gather to check their emails, etc. It's hilarious to see everyone just staring at their phones.

Hi Jodi! Not sure what the Fantasy will be like in January. I am waiting until the bitter end to PIF. End of November? That's nearly 3 more months. I a lot can change. I have friends booked on a Princess cruise around Cape Horn - 31 days. I could NOT go that long. But it just got cancelled. It was to leave March 5th out of Buenos Aires. I am the same. No masks and a somewhat not too weird "buffet"? I have cell service through Verizon in Mexico and Canada so I should be fine but really, I only care about my cat. The last time I was away (Scotland in January 2019) he tore down the window blinds in my office. BAD CAT! Where in CT are you from Jodi? I grew up in the 60's in New Britain and my Mom lived in Simsbury up until 2010. Are you taking Southwest? I think their booking window opens Sept. 16 but I have also heard they are cancelling a portion of their flights - they simply don't have enough employees. Cute that your husband likes to keep the ship in site. They are really stunning ships - a lot like the QE 2 with the black hulls.

Hey there GotSouth-

I grew up in New Canaan, but live in MIddletown these past 22 years. Right down the road from New Britain!

We definitely plan to fly on Southwest (waiting for flights to open) but man have they ever limited choices out of Hartford. It used to be at least 2 NS flights a day, now it's down to one most days...and of course, they seem to be in the evening, which sucks. I'm hoping they beef it up a bit for January. We like to get out on that buttcrackOfDawn flight lol.

Definitely not a good sign that your friend's cruise already canceled-but DCL is really trying to push through - I do hope they keep the vaccine mandate that they have recently issued, too. Only time will tell.

Hi Jodi . . I am pretty sure we used to go to an Army Navy store in Middletown? Right downtown. Pea coats? I can't remember but they had something 'trendy' we used to buy there. Heck, maybe Levis? Been back to New Britain and it's a very sad town now since Stanley left.

Just checked Southwest and although I can't check the exact date, there are 5 non-stop flights from Nashville to Orlando and 6 coming back. A couple really silly connections (as it is with Southwest). One through Houston and one goes Orlando - Oklahoma City - Houston - Nashville. No plane change. Just a lot of up and down.

BDL was really booming for a while there - I even flew straight to London nonstop once. Can't remember which airline it was. My favorite thing (which may not still be there) is a Travelers Insurance add with maybe red hearts on a tree an if you wave your hand at it, they scatter?

I snagged two nights at the Hyatt Regency at the airport for a pretty decent price (maybe $225?) before the cruise.

Have to be honest. I am sort of on the fence at the moment. Disney isn't cheap and even though I don't care about the kids clubs or even the massage room - I do care about masks and I loved Cabanas buffet! Don't even care if they have to serve me . . I care about the wide range of choices. Sometimes the service in the MDR is SO slow . . .

Anyway, too soon to tell! I see they are now testing EVERYONE before the cruise. I don't mind but the logistics are tough. Who knows - things change on a dime!

I booked in February so it's been fun having something to look forward to!

YES! Army Navy store was the early version of Bob's - which is now a rip-off type sports clothing store, lol. That original version on Main Street was great - downstairs were the shoes, right?

Letting you guys know that the airfare came out on Southwest today & we got a great deal!

Bob's! That's it! I used to love that place. Won't say how long ago it was but it was a while . . . And it was a trip from New Britain. Well, a big trip for such a small state.

Thanks for the SW reminder! I have been waiting. I used to live in San Franciso and remember $29 flights to Las Vegas. Of course, it, too, was a long time ago. I put a post on the main board . . .

Keeping an eye on people's experience before I PIF. Still have a while to decide. At this point I just want to smell some salty air! People are worried about capacity. Maybe it will just be the three of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter